Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

My Linux Rig posted:

Are you sure it’s priceless?

You could have bought bitcoins for $30 and sold today for close to $4k. But you didn’t cause you were too busy shitposting about it, seems like it did cost you something

I think about this. But chances are I would have sold them at $60, or would have lost them at mtgox, or whatever. Also, I didn't buy them then because I thought they were dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Linux Rig posted:

You could have bought bitcoins for $30 and sold today for close to $4k. But you didn’t cause you were too busy shitposting about it, seems like it did cost you something
Yo seriously though, what the gently caress is up with your monotonous grating from beyond the grave that "YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT, AND MADE MONEY, INSTEAD OF POSTING"? I'm not going to claim my jokes are particularly good but at least I have like three or four I rotate between!

All y'all say that poo poo, it's like saying "You could have voted for Bernie, but instead you ate ice cream." These are separate options! Posting is mostly free!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

roffels posted:

I think about this. But chances are I would have sold them at $60, or would have lost them at mtgox, or whatever. Also, I didn't buy them then because I thought they were dumb.

it doesn’t change the fact that if you did hold on to them, that you would have made at least 10x your original investment

That’s pretty good performance for an investment but who cares bitcoins is dumb!!!

Nessus posted:

Yo seriously though, what the gently caress is up with your monotonous grating from beyond the grave that "YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT, AND MADE MONEY, INSTEAD OF POSTING"? I'm not going to claim my jokes are particularly good but at least I have like three or four I rotate between!

All y'all say that poo poo, it's like saying "You could have voted for Bernie, but instead you ate ice cream." These are separate options! Posting is mostly free!

Look at this miserable posting, see what happens when you don’t buy bitcoin?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Ad by Khad posted:

I could've bought bitcoins at 60 cents but I wouldn't have a dime out of it today even if I did, because the whole ecosystem is hosed. Largest exchange gets hacked and robbed and exit scams in shame? Smaller exchange is running their entire platform on an Amazon instance with no backups? Ponzi scheme? Hard drive failure? Typo a single digit while sending money? Fall asleep next to a mining rig and wake up with brain damage? Unfamiliar with specific nuances of your country's tax code? Went to a bitcoin conference and had your dozen laptops stolen in plain sight? Got mugged by someone who overheard your nerd poo poo? Swallowed your USB drive because you were terrified of getting robbed?

It just occurred to me that this whole list is taken from only the first 2-3 years of the somethingawful laughchain and leaves out Bruce, the hero of bitcoin, and also leaves out like 5 whole years that came afterward to get us to where we are today

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

it doesn’t change the fact that if you did hold on to them, that you would have made at least 10x your original investment

That’s pretty good performance for an investment but who cares bitcoins is dumb!!!

And if I had picked 11, 33, 51, 56, 58, and 18 for the Powerball, I would have made 153 million!

That's even better performance!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

At this point even if you had miraculously avoided the scams, thefts, etc. it's not an easy time to cash out the imaginary crypto pogs for real money and there's a reasonable chance you'll get scammed during that process, too. They aren't actually worth $4,000 until you manage to get somebody to hand you $4,000 for one.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 26, 2018

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Warbadger posted:

At this point even if you had miraculously avoided the scams, thefts, etc. it's not an easy time to cash out the imaginary crypto pogs for real money and there's a reasonable chance you'll get scammed during that process, too.

yeah it carries that risk. making money always has risks. but those risks are way over reported because they’re dramatic and new, it’s actually pretty safe to sell your bitcoins these days

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

My Linux Rig posted:

As could many of the people whining about the current price crash, if they had sold instead of holding. It seems that the truth faithful don't believe it's ever appropriate to sell because they still believe it's going to be worth a gazillion dollars one day. They don't look at it from a "if I sell now, I'll get a 10x, 100x, 1000x return on my investment" viewpoint. They always look at it from a "but it might go higher" position.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lolie posted:

As could many of the people whining about the current price crash, if they had sold instead of holding. It seems that the truth faithful don't believe it's ever appropriate to sell because they still believe it's going to be worth a gazillion dollars one day. They don't look at it from a "if I sell now, I'll get a 10x, 100x, 1000x return on my investment" viewpoint. They always look at it from a "but it might go higher" position.

yeah yeah you can wring your hands all you want about knowing when the perfect time to sell is

it won’t change the fact that $30 two years ago would be worth over $150 today

that’s pretty good performance on an investment

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I know a couple people through work who were okay guys before they bought in around 6K last summer. When they started making money, they became unbearable. It was the only thing they could talk about. Then when they started losing money, they turned into complete assholes. One of them totally hosed up a new leadership position. He became constantly and weirdly paranoid and defensive.

I think of all the bridges these bitcoin people burned among their friends, family and coworkers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I know a couple people through work who were okay guys before they bought in around 6K last summer. When they started making money, they became unbearable. It was the only thing they could talk about. Then when they started losing money, they turned into complete assholes. One of them totally hosed up a new leadership position. He became constantly and weirdly paranoid and defensive.

I think of all the bridges these bitcoin people burned among their friends, family and coworkers.
Just think, instead of writing this post, you could have been one of them!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah it carries that risk. making money always has risks. but those risks are way over reported because they’re dramatic and new, it’s actually pretty safe to sell your bitcoins these days

This is a pretty high risk investment as far as investments go (because it isn't really, it's gambling on a pyramid scheme presented as a kind of commodity) and as in any pyramid scheme somebody else has lose $1 for anybody to make $1 and the system's structure ensures that most people *will* be losers.

The risk of scams and difficulty of cashing out has been a thing for a while, it's neither new or (usually) especially dramatic.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 26, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

My Linux Rig posted:

sorry, none of us are as smart as you so we don't know how to make the right calls with 20/20 hindsight.

also I could use some lottery tips, can you tell me last friday's winning numbers so I can win $170 million?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Warbadger posted:

This is a pretty high risk investment as far as investments go (because it isn't really, it's gambling on a pyramid scheme presented as a kind of commodity) and as in any pyramid scheme somebody else has lose $1 for anybody to make $1 and the system's structure ensures that most people *will* be losers.

The risk of scams and difficulty of cashing out has been a thing for a while, it's neither new or (usually) especially dramatic.
please stop spreading FUD that this is a pyramid scheme many more actual humans are up than down according to this thread

Adar posted:

we've been over the negative sum part about a dozen times ITT already. there are comparatively few actual losers, both because there aren't that many people who got in specifically in December/January and because the bulk of the cashout process was 'funded' by a relative handful of oligarchs + Wall Street getting in late in the game for huge sums. this is set to continue going forward, since the retail hype has worn off enough that the funds coming in are mostly institutional. while it's true less money comes out than goes in, many more actual humans are up than down. at some point this will change but unless prices completely collapse it won't happen for years.

also, every time I or anyone else claim to have cashed out any money we get called out by multiple idiots so I'm not sure what part of "goons: no one makes money" is far fetched.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah yeah you can wring your hands all you want about knowing when the perfect time to sell is

It's an excellent performance. The true believers, however, tend to dismiss it as trivial because they're greedy. Look at how many of the "names" in Bitcoin got conned by pirate because they weren't happy with already good returns. Bitcoin attracts a lot of people who aren't just looking for something which outperforms standard investments but for something which will literally make them wealthy quickly. So they're not going to sell at $150 because doubling their outlay doesn't interest them - and until they actually sell they haven't made a cent.

My main point is that if you really believe Bitcoin is eventually going to hit $100,000 or more, there's no need to invest life ruining amounts of money. Modest amounts which you can easily afford to lose will still bring you a great return if you're right. They just won't make you a billionaire.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Warbadger posted:

This is a pretty high risk investment as far as investments go and as in any pyramid scheme somebody has lose $1 for anybody to make $1 and the system's structure ensures that most people *will* be losers by disproportionately rewarding early participation.

It is a pretty high risk investment which is why everyone always says to invest what you’re comfortable losing, but seems to be paying out pretty well right now even despite the recent dips

and yep someone is losing money, somebody buys and somebody sells. that’s always the case with stocks, products, services, etc. that doesn’t mean that it’s a scam

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Imagine creating a working time machine and going back to 2009 and using your foreknowledge of exactly everything that is going to happen to buy a million bitcoins and then lose them all on some exchange "hack" that didn't happen in your original timeline but happened on the new one because they didn't want to give you the money

Instead of, you know, investing in Apple stock which would still net you 10x with almost zero effort, or Netflix, or daytrading your way to untold billions in the real stock market. Seed capital? Win the lottery.

Then develop all the scientific advancements that would have happened in the last 9 years yourself and make some cool trillions on top of that.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 26, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Imagine creating a working time machine and going back to 2009 and using your foreknowledge of exactly everything that is going to happen to buy a million bitcoins and then lose them all on some exchange "hack" that didn't happen in your original timeline but happened on the new one because they didn't want to give you the money
then you use your time machine again to make sure you send your coins to your wallet and the exchange miraculously obliges

but then your wallet gets hacked because you downloaded some trojan wallet software

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

then you use your time machine again to make sure you send your coins to your wallet and the exchange miraculously obliges

but then your wallet gets hacked because you downloaded some trojan wallet software
Then you go back in time to hire a hitman and you realize with horror that you're Ross

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Warbadger posted:

Bitcoin is a zero sum game. If you're winning it's because someone else is losing.

My Linux Rig posted:

and yep someone is losing money, somebody buys and somebody sells. that’s always the case with stocks, products, services, etc. that doesn’t mean that it’s a scam

Some stocks give dividends.

Not sure how products and services compare to buying and selling stocks.

Hillary 2024 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 26, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I thought that when you actually “sell” bitcoins they take weeks to become actual money unless you want to gamble on being beat up in a parking lot? Is there some trick to being able to micro day trade this poo poo and then realizing this value?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hillary 2020 posted:

Bitcoin is a zero sum game. If you're winning it's because someone else is losing.

Some stocks give dividends.

Not sure how products and services compare to buying and selling stocks.

That was my point. For anyone to win big at the Bitcoin gamble at least one person had to lose equally big. There is no value created, only value transferred or outright lost via fees and inefficiencies.

It's a gamble whether you win or lose and one in which you haven't really won anything until you actually cash out of the game.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Partycat posted:

I thought that when you actually “sell” bitcoins they take weeks to become actual money unless you want to gamble on being beat up in a parking lot? Is there some trick to being able to micro day trade this poo poo and then realizing this value?

That may have been the case way back when, but nowadays you have mature platforms like Coinbase. It only takes a few days to withdraw to your bank account, if that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hillary 2020 posted:

I really really wish people would stop spreading fake news ITT. Bitcoin is a negative sum game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's actually good for bitcoin that the market is crashing and taking out a ton of people with it. It's very good that people are abandoning their mining rigs en masse. It's loving great actually.

Guys, it is god drat motherfucking PERFECTION right now for the bit coin and I wish y'all could just SEE IT. LOOK.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Miner pays $4,800 for energy to mine a bitcoin.
Buyer exchanges $4,800 for the bitcoin with the miner.

The system now has gained a net of:
  • Zero new dollars
  • 1 brand new spankin' bitcoin!
  • the lost opportunity cost of that $4,800 of energy
  • the greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental pollution of that $4,800 of energy

Bitcoin is a negative sum system.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i can't believe i didn't just invent facebook or inherit a vast fortune

what have i done wiht my life

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Buttcoins are powered by butts. There is no energy waste.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

My Linux Rig posted:

Look at this miserable posting, see what happens when you don’t buy bitcoin?

but enough about your posting

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My Linux Rig posted:

Is a good investment based only on it's return?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

moolchaba posted:

Buttcoins are powered by butts. There is no energy waste.

I have been looking for this gif for loving ages, thank you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

coming soon to a landfill near you

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

Is a good investment based only on it's return?

Yes that is correct, no one has ever withheld or retracted an investment due to ethical or moral concerns. The only concern for any well-adjusted and definitely not broke-brained person is that number go up

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I see Bitcoin is back up to nearly $4,000. I assume this means the crisis is over, and it’s time to buy.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Laughing at bitcoin posters is low risk, high reward and carbon neutral. No wonder they hate it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Loden Taylor posted:

And if I had picked 11, 33, 51, 56, 58, and 18 for the Powerball, I would have made 153 million!

That's even better performance!

poo poo, why didn't you tell us the winning numbers sooner?! I would have shared.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got this guy Bern, has some interesting ideas on derivitives. Been getting 10% a year since the 80s, not sure why there should be soon and gloom about market beating. It's totally natural for there to be winners and losers.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

"can anyone spare a bit? Journalism doesn't pay like it used to"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*from atop my hobo throne*
you fools, you naysayers, look upon my fortune; each and every one of you could have invested in methamphetamine precursors