Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How long will the 2018 GTIs (and the deals on them) last for? Will they still be around in January/February? When will the VA/MD VW dealers typically start offering good discounts on 2019s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The logo fell off my key fob. I think I'm doing this right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eye think so.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Roundup Ready posted:

The logo fell off my key fob. I think I'm doing this right?

Can't see a problem.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
2019 Golf R configurator is up.

"I mean, they're not taking much off of 2018 Golf Rs, and PTS on a Porsche is a ridiculous amount, so $43k for an Irish Green Golf R is almost making money!"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
50k all said and done for a golf, lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

Ok yeah, maybe I'll see how much dealing they'll do on 2018s. Looks like the dealers in NoVA are taking 3-4k off maybe?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Residency Evil posted:

Ok yeah, maybe I'll see how much dealing they'll do on 2018s. Looks like the dealers in NoVA are taking 3-4k off maybe?

If you are serious about coming down to NoVA to deal, I can put you in touch with some sales people that are active in the Novadubs group.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Etrips posted:

If you are serious about coming down to NoVA to deal, I can put you in touch with some sales people that are active in the Novadubs group.

ygpm

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BlackMK4 posted:

Jesus christ

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

How long will the 2018 GTIs (and the deals on them) last for? Will they still be around in January/February? When will the VA/MD VW dealers typically start offering good discounts on 2019s?

Maybe? 2019 GTIs are already showing up on cars.com. Yep, I priced a Moss Green '19 R for around $45k. I just can't do it. I only owe $16k on my '16 GTI (and I hate myself for owing that much).

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 29, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Radiohead71 posted:

Maybe? 2019 GTIs are already showing up on cars.com. Yep, I priced a Moss Green '19 R for around $45k. I just can't do it. I only owe $16k on my '16 GTI (and I hate myself for owing that much).

You should definitely buy it and roll over 16k on a 12% note

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should definitely buy it and roll over 16k on a 12% note

I mean, the dealer wouldn't give him $0 for his car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I mean, the dealer wouldn't give him $0 for his car.

They’ll definitely try

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BlackMK4 posted:

In a world where it's trivial to configure an F150 to run $75k, I think a $50k Golf R is entirely reasonable. I think you can very reasonably argue it's a poor value proposition over a GTI, depending on what you want, but it's hardly an insane price.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PT6A posted:

In a world where it's trivial to configure an F150 to run $75k, I think a $50k Golf R is entirely reasonable. I think you can very reasonably argue it's a poor value proposition over a GTI, depending on what you want, but it's hardly an insane price.

There is tremendous money on the hoods of f150s though.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Civic Si warranty work update: they found nothing wrong with the low boost, but I mentioned my shifter was clicky and it turns out the entire shift assembly was broken so they are replacing that all now. I'm just going to bring it to a tuner with a dyno or something and see what the actual deal is - possibly bad gas?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I hope it isn't related to this:

doogle posted:

My wife has a ‘17 Civic EX-T (the 1.5t engine) with ~30k miles and I was driving it yesterday. I noticed that when you go full throttle there is a squeak/squeal that definitely isn’t normal. I checked forums for other reports of the noise, but found that there is a problem with the new 1.5t engines and oil dilution from fuel seeping past the rings. I checked the oil and it is about an inch over the full dot. I took a sample of the oil to send to black stone, but is there anything else I should do? The dealer visit is tomorrow. She drives about 100 miles a day and we picked this car because we figured it would last 6 years/200k miles. It definitely won’t with fuel for oil.

Haunted hatch for real.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I bought my Golf R for 30k and sold it for 25k.

I'm happy to be out of it, and with it, out of the Hot Hatch thread.

Enjoy your speedsters, friends.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So the right front camber on my GTI seems to be out of sorts such that a 3rd party kit or holes being drilled are in order. It's fairly benign according to the fellows doing the alignment, but that seems surprising considering we're at 20k miles and I'm not doing anything stupid in the car. Anyone know if the VW warranty covers this sort of thing before I go make a fuss?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
so...... you have a bent strut, bent strut mount, or you managed to nail a pothole hard enough to mushroom the strut tower (lol, or if you had a porsche you could have torn the strut mount off...). Time to see what is bent rather than cover it up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Radiohead71 posted:

Back to square 1. 25k for a GTI SE vs 37k for a Golf R. 50% more seems ridiculous.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Residency Evil posted:

50% more seems ridiculous.

Welcome to the consensus of most of the posters here. :)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Residency Evil posted:

Back to square 1. 25k for a GTI SE vs 37k for a Golf R. 50% more seems ridiculous.

Totally go for the GTI, DSG.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just received a warranty extension for the clock spring in my GTI. Haven’t heard about this but I avoid the vortex.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got that as well, seems pretty straightforward. First I’ve heard of it as well.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
What year are yours?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Warbird
May 23, 2012

2017. I want to say it was from 2010 to current, but I could be wrong.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Mine's a 17 as well - thanks.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Huh, all I could find was a recall for 2011-2014.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I got my notification today. Oddly, it was addressed to my wife.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

a mysterious cloak posted:

Huh, all I could find was a recall for 2011-2014.

same but 2010-2014, for the tdi sportwagen i used to own but VW owns now and apparently doesnt realize i dont have it anymore

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I got it for my 17 as well. I can try to scan it if people are really that curious.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My stick shift 2018 GTI seems to have a kick down switch. Never seen that on a stick shift before, does it actually do anything?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

My stick shift 2018 GTI seems to have a kick down switch. Never seen that on a stick shift before, does it actually do anything?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Googling shows that it's the same pedal assembly between the dsg and stick, so it just depends on what they had on the line that day apparently. Doesn't do anything.

Reports of some stick shift cars having them but not all.

If you're asking what the kick down switch is, it's the little switch at the end of the pedal travel in an automatic that forces it to downshift.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Googling shows that it's the same pedal assembly between the dsg and stick, so it just depends on what they had on the line that day apparently. Doesn't do anything.

Reports of some stick shift cars having them but not all.

If you're asking what the kick down switch is, it's the little switch at the end of the pedal travel in an automatic that forces it to downshift.

Find the capped off lead and wire a bunch of lights into it so they turn on when you floor it. :rice:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So, the driver's side door on my GTI leaks in heavy enough rain. It's specifically the rubber seal between the door and the main body of the car about 2/3rds of the way down the window. Perfectly positioned to drip on top my left foot. The dealership went and dumped water on it for a few hours, but they won't/can't do it with enough force to trigger it happening. The seal itself seems fine and I almost wonder if the problem is being caused by some small piece of debris or dirt preventing the seal from happening properly. Anyone have similar issues to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think a better question with TrueChaos' GTI is why does it have a physical switch in the first place? It's an electronic throttle. The computer knows the exact throttle position at all times and beyond that has a half dozen other ways to know a downshift is desired.

I thought physical kickdown switches were a short lived thing from that period of time in the late '80s/early '90s where we had electronic transmission controls but they weren't really networked with the rest of the car, basically just an electronic adaptation of the kickdown linkage concept.