Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
did the arms room alarm system go out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Rat posted:

That makes a lot of sense. It took me a long while to get to this point as well, especially since I did deployed contracting for 3 years after my initial abortive attempt at college. Although the contracting helped me get over the army in a roundabout way. Unfinished business felt like it got resolved.

Still I dunno if I'm really reintegrated to society or just mostly deprogrammed.

It's highly unlikely that any of us will ever be considered truly 'reintegrated' in the sense that most people would consider. There's always signs, like some kind of hosed up and really lame military Voight-Kampff test. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either because our experiences drive us one way or the other. But one of the luxuries of reintegration, much like an immigrant that chooses to fully assimilate, is that you get to selectively pick what parts of your past life you want to incorporate into your new one. Sometimes it's mannerisms, traditions, a speech pattern, or a particular hobby. Sometimes it's a conscious decision, sometimes not. Everybody does it differently and at their own rates, but like an immigrant in a new land, resisting change can lead to isolation.

When I compare myself to my peers of my age group / experience level, I don't fit in at all. But I acknowledge that, and I don't care.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

This is 99% of trash "tactical" gear. If not veteran as tagline, cop as tagline.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mods changed my name posted:

did the arms room alarm system go out?

Nah. Ruined lock elsewhere. It’s a sweet gig with a Nintendo Switch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

It’s a sweet gig with a Nintendo Switch.

No, it isn't.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Vasudus posted:

It's highly unlikely that any of us will ever be considered truly 'reintegrated' in the sense that most people would consider. There's always signs, like some kind of hosed up and really lame military Voight-Kampff test. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either because our experiences drive us one way or the other. But one of the luxuries of reintegration, much like an immigrant that chooses to fully assimilate, is that you get to selectively pick what parts of your past life you want to incorporate into your new one. Sometimes it's mannerisms, traditions, a speech pattern, or a particular hobby. Sometimes it's a conscious decision, sometimes not. Everybody does it differently and at their own rates, but like an immigrant in a new land, resisting change can lead to isolation.

When I compare myself to my peers of my age group / experience level, I don't fit in at all. But I acknowledge that, and I don't care.

Yeah, I hear you there. I feel like we've discovered a good part of the answer to the question of "why don't grandpa/uncle/dad/etc talk about their time in service much?"

Because it doesn't matter.

It feels liberating, in a strange way.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
some poor SOBs be pulling that the whole four day instead of just calling a locksmith or whatever, smdh

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

I have a weird duty. I am to guard An Important Room for the brigade at An Important Location.

Tools given: a cot. My orders were to sleep in front of door so I can wake up if someone tries to get in. I get relieved in 12 hours.

Act like it's a burden and see if you can get a pass out of it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We already get a regular day off for any holiday or weekend duty. It makes it pretty chill to volunteer for duties, especially since weekend and holiday duties are allowed to go hog wild with computers or gaming devices. I don’t mind them at all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I had arms room alarm replacement duty once which just felt bizarre. 4 AM sitting on a couch in my exercise clothing half asleep. "Here's a carbine and five bullets. Don't let anybody go down those stairs."

okay big sarge i'll just be over here watching M*A*S*H

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
we had a weekend parking lot guard that lasted about 4 days before jag shut it down. because someone parked in the hhc commanders spot during non duty hours and officers are huge loving babies when their ego is at stake

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 21, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Which level HHC. If it's BN somebody should have bitch slapped that captain.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
brigade lmao

2bct 4id specifically

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The whiny S2 captain in my squadron pulled that stunt by making his guys paint a spot for him. Our squadron shared a tiny parking lot with the barracks. When one of my guys parked in that spot, CPT Dickwad blocked him in, and the very next day, SPC Smartypants painted over the spot and parked there again. I've never been so proud.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I could definitely go get a fancy sign post with "S4" made for myself but personal parking spots are amateurish.

I'd rather just constantly make sure I have either a TMP or a rental vehicle personally available for myself whenever anything even remotely involving the field happens.

Or using my privileges as the guy arranging for barracks space abroad to set myself up with my own room and bathroom.

That TOC Life? No thanks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Behind the scenes the S4 is probably one of the most influential positions within a BN since almost nothing logistically happens without either the S4 coordinating it or approving it. Plus the S4 has control of the BN's money.

I hated the job at first but now that I've been doing it for just about a year and generally know what the hell I'm doing now, I'm milking it for all its worth.

I doubt there's anyone within my BN that has more freedom in the way that they do their job than I do. Some parts of the job definitely suck so I take advantage of the perks I have available to me at every chance.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're not milking any power and privilege that your staff position brings you're doing the Army thing wrong.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yo s4 is where all the money is at for like weird tdy sex trips

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Leaders eat last but they park the closest

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
like oh sure sure i can make this government credit card cell green for a favor

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

brigade lmao

2bct 4id specifically

lol and they just got back from a deployment too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Triggs posted:

Leaders eat last but they park the closest

Sign I saw at the commissary of a Naval Base:

Reserved: Pregnant Spouse of a Deployed IA Sailor

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My favorite reserved sign I've seen on post: "Reserved for expectant mothers" in front of the booze store.

It was a good thing when the post CG, years ago, banned reserved spots except handicapped spots, and then BN CDR/CSM and above, but only command teams. So an O-6 staffer still doesn't get a parking spot, just BN, BDE, DIV command teams.

The commander I replaced spent a significant amount of time explaining to me how much rear end pain he'd gone through having the parking lot repainted, labeling his spot, and then ensuring no one ever took his spot (extra hard, because the civilians sharing the lot don't give a gently caress). I already knew he wasn't a strong commander, but finding out that's what he was spending so much time on was just icing on the cake.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Unusual request here — my dad served in the 3rd Armored Division in Desert Storm, and my brother and I bought him an inscribed paver at the recently dedicated 3AD memorial at Fort Benning. I had been trying to get a photo of it to show my dad from the 3AD Association guy who was coordinating the project, but he's been unresponsive.

If any goons are stationed at Fort Benning, I would very gladly buy an account upgrade or :20bux: for a photo of the paver I had dedicated for him. If this is at possible and anyone is willing to do this, please PM me, and I'll send further details.

Thank you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Unless they've updated regulations since I was an MP the only parking spaces authorized to be marked are for commanding generals.

You can have special parking spaces for staff and what not, but unless you've got an actual policy in place with the general's signature on it you just wasted money on a sign and paint.

I say this because as a 1lt it was one of my great joys to refuse to ticket/have towed some joe's car in the s1's parking spot and tell some major that he's the one violating army policy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Parking spaces are often authorized by admin reg, but MPs don’t have enforcement responsibility.

It’s a way to have labeled spots but also relieve MPs of duties.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I was turning in my gear post deployment and couldn’t find a spot near the gear building so I drove halfway down the street to some random parking lot that belonged to whatever dumb name the car people gave themselves. Found a lovely spot but a spot nonetheless but it was marked reserved for someone but I also had three weeks left in the Air Force and had stopped giving fucks months ago back in Iraq. Some civilian tried yelling at me that the spot was revered and I told him I was turning my gear in, shrugged and walked off as he kept yelling after me. Turned my stuff in quick since the Air Force is super chill about it unlike the Army apparently but when I got back to my car I noticed some people standing by their building staring at my car and they started walking towards me when I got in but I just drove off because I’m in a car and what the gently caress are they going to do? Told my boss and they asked what rank the person who tried tell tell me off was and when I said civilian she laughed and said good.

Bonus story: The hospital in Iraq didn’t have a ton of spots and the HQ across from us would steal our spots constantly. I parked in one of their spots once and when I came back out we had some ticket that looked like someone spent way to much time making it. I walked back in and showed it to our 06 team lead who said he’d take care of it. During our next morning briefing the topic parking wherever there was a space in that courtyard came up.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 24, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cenen posted:

I was turning in my gear post deployment and couldn’t find a spot near the gear building so I drove halfway down the street to some random parking lot that belonged to whatever dumb name the car people gave themselves. Found a lovely spot but a spot nonetheless but it was marked reserved for someone but I also had three weeks left in the Air Force and had stopped giving fucks months ago back in Iraq. Some civilian tried yelling at me that the spot was revered and I told him I was turning my gear in, shrugged and walked off as he kept yelling after me. Turned my stuff in quick since the Air Force is super chill about it unlike the Army apparently but when I got back to my car I noticed some people standing by their building staring at my car and they started walking towards me when I got in but I just drove off because I’m in a car and what the gently caress are they going to do? Told my boss and they asked what rank the person who tried tell tell me off was and when I said civilian she laughed and said good.

Bonus story: The hospital in Iraq didn’t have a ton of spots and the HQ across from us would steal our spots constantly. I parked in one of their spots once and when I came back out we had some ticket that looked like someone spent way to much time making it. I walked back in and showed it to our 06 team lead who said he’d take care of it. During our next morning briefing the topic parking wherever there was a space in that courtyard came up.

That's cool. I've run into a few people with broke brains that just blindly followed some policy, or whatever someone told them was policy, without questioning it.

Had the ammo supply point civilian try and say a unit lost 7 live grenades (called the garrison commander lol) because they were firing mk19 training rounds and didn't turn in 7 pieces of brass (just got lost, who gives a poo poo).

And had a eurocom dude try to tell me that my dudes curfew was 2200 for "reasons" that we straight up ignored after talking with the host nation garrison commander.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Civilians that work on Army posts are the biggest pieces of poo poo that very quickly resort to calling Division and Corps commanders on the dumbest poo poo. And for some reason those generals will actually listen to them.

It sure as poo poo isn't the Army that runs JBLM. We're Soldiers inconveniencing the civilians that work on post.

There's a few good ones but most of them seem to relish the opportunity to throw Soldiers under the bus.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
not gonna lie, if there was one thing to convince me to work a civilian job on a military base that would be it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

not gonna lie, if there was one thing to convince me to work a civilian job on a military base that would be it.

I want to be that giant fat dude sitting on a stool at CIF whose only job is to hand you a canteen cup. Probably a GS-11 or something.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

Civilians that work on Army posts are the biggest pieces of poo poo that very quickly resort to calling Division and Corps commanders on the dumbest poo poo. And for some reason those generals will actually listen to them.

It sure as poo poo isn't the Army that runs JBLM. We're Soldiers inconveniencing the civilians that work on post.

There's a few good ones but most of them seem to relish the opportunity to throw Soldiers under the bus.

That and working with the transpo unit was my least favorite part of being the S4. At hood, all tank movements to training areas had to be accomplished using the HETs. You'd do a TMR 2 weeks out and then they'd completely bolo the timeline or call and say they can't do it because they are doing Sergeant's time training. loving hated those guys so much.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

I want to be that giant fat dude sitting on a stool at CIF whose only job is to tell you your brand new canteen cup is dirty. Probably a GS-11 or something.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Ashmole posted:

That and working with the transpo unit was my least favorite part of being the S4. At hood, all tank movements to training areas had to be accomplished using the HETs. You'd do a TMR 2 weeks out and then they'd completely bolo the timeline or call and say they can't do it because they are doing Sergeant's time training. loving hated those guys so much.

Same at Stewart way back when. Those guys never showed up on time for anything, usually due to someone with access to the key box or dispatches being hungover at home.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just :lol: if you didn't get out of doing lovely fetch jobbers by saying the motorpool wouldn't issue you a dispatch and your leadership was so used to it they didn't follow up on it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Vasudus posted:

Just :lol: if you didn't get out of doing lovely fetch jobbers by saying the motorpool wouldn't issue you a dispatch and your leadership was so used to it they didn't follow up on it.

The chief in charge of my old motor pool was great because of how anal retentive he was with dispatches. Oh, you don't have the exact right model of humvee/trailer/LMTV on your license? Sorry, no dispatch for you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster posted:

The chief in charge of my old motor pool was great because of how anal retentive he was with dispatches. Oh, you don't have the exact right model of humvee/trailer/LMTV on your license? Sorry, no dispatch for you.

Yeah it's ridiculous in my state because they had a serious accident with an unlicensed driver. So now everything is hosed up.

There's one lmtv that most of us can't drive because it has a winch on the front. Nothing else changed, and I've been driving the lmtv for 11 years, but yeah. Can't touch it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know what they're like now, but a decade ago your military license was a dot-matrix printout that you cut and laminated, with the source ultimately being from S1 who were the only ones that had access to your training records for official purposes. So if you were particularly savvy and just came to your unit where nobody really knows your certifications, you could, in theory, just make an ASCII copy of your license, edit it to say that you didn't have certain...annoying qualifications on there and print/laminate a new one using regular office supplies. I certainly didn't do that myself or sell such a service to my fellow enlisted.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Don't get a bus license. Never, ever get a bus license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Fifty bucks and you don't have a bus license anymore as far as your unit knows.