Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey someone tell me why the sensors in digital cameras dont have a set up where every second pixel had a neutral density filter on it, and using the pair to increase bandwidth and capture far more information from the scene.

like this idea can't be new, somewhere someone has experimented with this, and there is a reason why sensors in cameras dont have it.

its the coolest most baddass idea for creating true high dynamic range images.

so why doesn't it work

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Short Eared Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

echinopsis posted:

hey someone tell me why the sensors in digital cameras dont have a set up where every second pixel had a neutral density filter on it, and using the pair to increase bandwidth and capture far more information from the scene.

like this idea can't be new, somewhere someone has experimented with this, and there is a reason why sensors in cameras dont have it.

its the coolest most baddass idea for creating true high dynamic range images.

so why doesn't it work

для военных, а не для потребителей

PS: This is essentially the same effect you can get using graduated ND filter with large contrast across the frame i.e. a horizon.

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 16, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um no

it would be equivalent to taking a photo and then taking an identical photo with indentical settings but with a ND filter over the camera, and then using those two images to create a single image with a higher dynamic range. use the filtered one to recover information in blown out areas in the non filtered one

but this is done by having every second pixel on the sensor having a filter on it

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

echinopsis posted:

um no

it would be equivalent to taking a photo and then taking an identical photo with indentical settings but with a ND filter over the camera, and then using those two images to create a single image with a higher dynamic range. use the filtered one to recover information in blown out areas in the non filtered one

but this is done by having every second pixel on the sensor having a filter on it

Wouldn't that just cut your resolution in half? I don't know much about how sensors work but it seems like all the pixels are currently used to render an image.

What you're suggesting sounds more like auto hdr bracketing in theory.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

hope and vaseline posted:

Wouldn't that just cut your resolution in half? I don't know much about how sensors work but it seems like all the pixels are currently used to render an image.

It shouldn't cut resolution in half if you take every second pixel and every (2nd + 1) pixel and used [algorithms] to decide the exposure of both pixels. I suppose the best way to say it is, it would be a full resolution photo with "half resolution" exposure (or something like that?).

I think that's basically it. Given what some people say about megapixels not being important, I would take that to assume that even though you're basically taking two (total megapixels/2) photos, you should still be able to use the details of all of the megapixels for the final photo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah but we have enough megapixels already

and yeah is a lot like bracketing only idk... my camera doesnt have that feature so I dont know much mybe its better

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make a sensor that has a thousand stops of dynamic range and boom problem solved.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

xzzy posted:

Just make a sensor that has a thousand stops of dynamic range and boom problem solved.

You jest but I think this is the actual answer to echi's question. It's probably unfeasible to make sensors the way he described (afaik sensor wafers are already extremely difficult to make which is why full frame cameras are still $2k+). So it's literally easier and cheaper to just improve sensor dynamic range than it is to add special minuscule ND filters on half the pixels.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
surely thats a goal though.

like no necessary reason why sensors have to be similar to film as far as dynamic range goes

I deal with proper high dynamic range images coz of what is produced with 3d software is hdr. the cool poo poo you can then do with it drat

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Doesn't film have a greater dynamic range than even full frame sensors? I remember reading that somewhere but I'm not sure how true it is.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it probably has a better profile or curve when it comes to blowing out

but yes

come on make them better

or add a filter to every second sensor

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

IMG_9175

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

This whole situation seemed kinda dodgy and gritty to me, so I figured a B&W treatment might be fun!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
DSCF3111 by -, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Finally found the time to edit photos from the past few months.

Shem Creek-15 by Will King, on Flickr

Taylors Mill-1 by Will King, on Flickr

"Why doesn't mine look like that?!" :argh:

Michigan-8 by Will King, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Boy, you're really taking shortcuts to find fish to photograph now.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yeah :negative:

lmao this lens is so janky, look at that guitar pick shaped bokeh

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
this is the dump right

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Folly Beach-33 by Will King, on Flickr

Sullivan's Island by Will King, on Flickr

Pitt Street Bridge-24 by Will King, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pitt Street Bridge-25 by Will King, on Flickr

Pitt Street Bridge-26 by Will King, on Flickr

Pitt Street Bridge-27 by Will King, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Caw Caw Interpretive Center-2 by Will King, on Flickr

Caw Caw Interpretive Center-6 by Will King, on Flickr

Caw Caw Interpretive Center-8 by Will King, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pinball at The Break-5 by Will King, on Flickr

Pinball at The Break-7 by Will King, on Flickr

Pinball at The Break-8 by Will King, on Flickr

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

This owns

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Woah. Were you in a chase plane or something?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

No , just long lens

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

ACE Basin-12 by Will King, on Flickr

ACE Basin-15 by Will King, on Flickr

ACE Basin-17 by Will King, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Citadel Mall-92 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-93 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-95 by Will King, on Flickr

EDIT:
Barely an hour after I posted this there was a deadly shooting in the mall's parking lot. Luckily I was no where near it today.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 27, 2019

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Capers Island-1 by Will King, on Flickr

Capers Island-2 by Will King, on Flickr

Capers Island-4 by Will King, on Flickr

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Downtown Charleston-227 by Will King, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77