Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BigHandsVince posted:

I bought Bloodborne after hbomberguys video about it, but I haven't opened the box yet. Is there a guide that doesn't just tell you where everything is for people who haven't really played this sort of thing?

your first death is expected and will take you to the game's safe hub area. there's a way to get there that doesn't involve dying tho if you want to try for it. don't pick the cane as your starter weapon

when you get to the hunter's dream, read all the messages on the ground in the area to the right of the house. they're tutorial tips on how to play the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

except now you do the sex with one of them and also make an old lady sad

possibly simultaneously

Escobarbarian posted:

Imagine Bloodborne but you don’t have to travel for 10 minutes to get back to the boss after dying to it

That’s the Bloodborne I might have tried to play more

As for the poster above me honestly it is one of those games where it’s best to just explore and learn the layout for yourself

Something is VERY wrong here, and it's not the game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

Imagine Bloodborne but you don’t have to travel for 10 minutes to get back to the boss after dying to it

That’s the Bloodborne I might have tried to play more

As for the poster above me honestly it is one of those games where it’s best to just explore and learn the layout for yourself

Yeah the game you're after is bloodborne check it out I think you'll like it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BigHandsVince posted:

I bought Bloodborne after hbomberguys video about it, but I haven't opened the box yet. Is there a guide that doesn't just tell you where everything is for people who haven't really played this sort of thing?

Post here when you’re confused or annoyed and we’ll help you better and more spoiler free than any guide!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BigHandsVince posted:

I bought Bloodborne

Kilometers Davis posted:

Post here when you’re confused or annoyed and we’ll help you better and more spoiler free than any guide!

Bloodborne thread is also very active and helpful. Most of the story and lore chat is sporadic so you shouldn't have issues with spoilers and if you see one you'll probably go "what the gently caress does this even mean", it gets wild.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Yeah the game you're after is bloodborne check it out I think you'll like it.

Well between getting past the trolls taking the lift getting past the other troll on the bridge and whatever else it sure FELT like 10 minutes every time haha

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

Well between getting past the trolls taking the lift getting past the other troll on the bridge and whatever else it sure FELT like 10 minutes every time haha

Just run past if you can't be hosed or aren't actively farming them. You can sprint from place to place really quickly and honestly, that's maybe the second longest run in the game. It is kind of poo poo that it's an early one though. I got frustrated by it until I started running back like sonic the hedgehog.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The only boss run in BB I found really tedious was Logarius.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Escobarbarian posted:

This is gonna sound really dumb, but I often got a sense of self-satisfaction when figuring out how to beeline to a boss in just a few moments and avoid everything on the way whilst I gird myself to botch the boss itself for the tenth consecutive time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The only boss run in BB I found really tedious was Logarius.

Yep, that's why I said second and that run is legitimately annoying, but once you are at Logarius you are inside Bloodborne and won't give up.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Rooftop wizard is one of the dickier bosses in BB but I still like it. Flappy beefcurtain boss is my personal worst of the bunch by far.

Deadguy2322 posted:

It doesn’t copy the drive 1 to 1, due to encryption, so there won’t be any leftovers causing issues.

Yaaaay thanks. Hope I've got the right ethernet cable for the job.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Ah ok, I just thought since so many people seemed to have it/mention it recently that it must’ve been a thing for Black Friday.

BigHandsVince posted:

What do you mean? Like a tutorial? There’s YouTube? Bloodborne is actually simpler than you think, I was confused by waking up in the First Floor Sickroom, then dying, going to the Hunter’s Dream.. then going back to Yharnam. But I recommend picking a weapon up, when you go to the Hunter’s Dream (a goon recently posted that he fought the first enemy that you’re supposed to die against, like, 30 times because he didn’t choose a weapon). Then go through Yharnam slowly and methodically picking off enemies one by one, utilizing your items like the pebbles which gets one enemy’s attention, but even then it’s hard to realize how or why you can equip pebbles.. then cycle through items using down on the d pad and use the square button to use whatever it is. Hitting up on the d pad will happen a lot if hoireclike most new players and that creates blood bullets which are just the games way of ensuring that someone using an arcane build wont run run out of mana basically, because spells like summoning a partially abandoned Ebreitas uses bullets. Also pay attention very closely to your surroundings and how you can move through a space, like, the first level has an insane amount of shortcuts. Also if you get overwhelmed don’t be afraid to run like hell, you do get health back for hitting an enemy after they’ve hit you, but that’s more useful for situations where it’s a bonus, or a parry and not something you want to rely on to stay alive. People say this game rewards aggression, but only relative to Dark Souls where people literally turtled behind a shield and slowly walked through areas, using their spear and slowly poking away at enemies.. you will roll a lot, so do that.

Also re: parrying, I wasn’t bad at it in Bloodborne, it’s not that hard, but for some reason parrying in souls games is pretty crazy. I didn’t use a shield in DS3 at all my first time playing, and since playing 1 where you sort of have to, I’ve become okay at parrying. Still really hard to do, and every single time I do it, it’s so anxiety inducing, I press L2 so hard my finger slips off the trigger and it makes a loud clicking noise.. or at least every time in tense situations, which is most of the time I parry (oh and visceral attacking after parrying is also useful for i-frames).

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

What is the worst boss run in Souls?

Capra Demon comes to mind to me. The Blood-starved-beast runback also sucks a lot for new players early on in the game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What is the worst boss run in Souls?

Capra Demon comes to mind to me. The Blood-starved-beast runback also sucks a lot for new players early on in the game.

The run to Darklurker in 2. Nothing else comes close.

Unless you count the DLC in which case frigid outskirts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

demon's souls has the worst boss runs because basically every single one requires you walk through the entire level to reach the boss

the worst is prob 5-2 since that's the poison swamp

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Maneater.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That guy on the stairs :negative:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

oh yeah, Maneater was pretty tough for me, both the boss run and the boss itself.

I got pretty lucky with Demon's Souls because I played it way later than everyone else and heard a lot of good things about magic. So I was able to take out a lot of bosses on my first try and usually had more trouble with the regular enemies.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I took forever to *almost* get to Phalanx like 15 times, then my friend asked to try and did it first try. I get nervous and inch my way through Souls games, I don’t want to miss anything, by rushing, but then that means I spend 2 hours figuring out how to get to Seath, then another 2 actually doing it, but then killing him first try. The run up to the Gargoyles is pretty bad, and the Taurus Demon even, but that’s probsbly like the equivalent of the run to Gascoigne, it’s like the tutorial is the first level, but with no indication that it’s a tutorial. The run to Vordt also took me forever and was similar to Seath, because I didn’t know where he was then I finally got frustrated and did it, first try using the instincts instilled in me by Bloodborne: if you can fit underneath a bosses crotch, even just barely, stay there and mash r1 like mad. It’s better if they’re smaller too like Vordt, who doesn’t have a jump attack, so you can really wail on him until he reaches the second phase. If Father Gascoigne is there to teach you to parry, the Cleric Beast is there to teach you that most of the time the crotch is their Achilles gooch if you will.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When's Demon's going to get a PS4 port? Now that Dark 1 has one it's the last hold-out.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

When's Demon's going to get a PS4 port? Now that Dark 1 has one it's the last hold-out.
The difference is that Sony would need to care and want to fund it. It's not in From's interest to put the money into an exclusive game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's kinda weird that sony hasn't ponied up for it when they paid for bloodborne

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Videogames, progress report

I am getting way better at Baseball! Bowling is 50% strikes and 50% spares. I have been exploring Sotenbori as Majima and I am getting ready to go to the Odyssey!

Also that weird clown guy by the shrines gave me some stuff but I have no idea who he is or why he is giving me lovely things!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Unless you count the DLC in which case frigid outskirts.

That's the only DS boss I have never beaten because gently caress that noise. It's so bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am getting way better at Baseball! Bowling is 50% strikes and 50% spares. I have been exploring Sotenbori as Majima and I am getting ready to go to the Odyssey!

Also that weird clown guy by the shrines gave me some stuff but I have no idea who he is or why he is giving me lovely things!

the clown is the way they distributed dlc iirc

there's actually a way to strike every time in bowling. there's youtube videos for it if you're interested

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

the clown is the way they distributed dlc iirc

there's actually a way to strike every time in bowling. there's youtube videos for it if you're interested

I appreciate it, but I feel Kiryu is full of honour and would not cheat so I must not either.

I think he is wonderful really :D Such a good hearted bad guy, we broke up the Burusen ring of panty selling and assisted the dominatrix in becoming more powerful. I did not expect any of this and it is making me glad that Kiwami was on PS Plus and I will get to play it later :D

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Akuma posted:

The difference is that Sony would need to care and want to fund it. It's not in From's interest to put the money into an exclusive game.
Counterpoint: Sony Japan Studio has a demonstrated desire to put a shitload of good games on the PS4 and it is a good game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How many Bloodbornes have the other PlayStation consoles? None? PS4 is the best of all.

The PS4 has right now two, TWO Knack games while the previous consoles have 0. PS4 wins. :smug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seaman was only on DC tho so it wins for all time great gaming.

E: wow it was PS2 as well!? How the hell did the PS2 handle the awesome power of Seaman!?

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 26, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
VR is cool but man I was not ready for the motion sickness. I thought I'd be immune, but it left me queasy for over an hour after quitting.

Astrobot owns a LOT.

Persistence might be too mediocre for me to stand.

And Thumper was a disappointment I wasn't expecting. Nothing about it actually drew me in and made me feel like I was actually moving towards some malignant growing abstract art. I did appreciate how I didn't actually need to move my head at least.

With the last two games I'm getting gun shy about jumping on any first recommendation of a VR game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
More Judge Eyes demo things

- Despite never having been a yakuza Yagami is more grey than Kiryu (or any of the other Yakuza protagonists) it seems. Of course, your're gonna be slamming people's heads into car doors either way though.
- The other big difference is that he wasn't in prison for ten years and thus isn't out of the loop about technology etc.
- Representing the reality of Japan right now, a big chunk of the service workers you encounter are foreigners. This has special meaning for me.
- Smoking is a gameplay thing like in Y3 but in a different way: You can recover your EX gauge if you smoke but you can only do it in designated smoking rooms and you have to actually buy cigarettes, and there's product tie-ins with that. It feels weird in this day and age to have smoking tie-ins in media anymore...
- There's a bit of Watch_Dogs where you can see what people are tweeting and track people that way etc
- Definitely Phoenix Wright stuff of showing people evidence and watching them react badly
- The big new thing in combat is doing triangle jumps off walls to either attack or evade. Other than that it feels like Yakuza 6 + 0's style switching.
- Enemies can drink potions during combat!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 26, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Akuma posted:

Technically it wasn't even From's decision to do dark souls remastered. That was on Bandai Namco the publisher, who then got the two outside game studios to do the remaster and switch port.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh...the drone controls in Judge Eyes are deliberately screwball, with the left stick being turn and forwards/backwards while the right stick is sideways + elevation. Or are actual drones that way?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve only used one like twice but that sounds accurate yeah

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh...the drone controls in Judge Eyes are deliberately screwball, with the left stick being turn and forwards/backwards while the right stick is sideways + elevation. Or are actual drones that way?

Yeah that’s how drones work normally.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh that's just the default and it can be changed, good.

Also the cat cafe is here and it has lots of cats! Kiryu did it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I AM FULLY ON BOARD WITH THE DRAGON ENGINE NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEAkyoD7zs

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RareAcumen posted:

I AM FULLY ON BOARD WITH THE DRAGON ENGINE NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEAkyoD7zs

:vince:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I managed to miss that Judge Eyes is set in the same universe as Yakuza until just now. Hell yeah!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I am very out of the loop when it comes to video game news, if I buy a PS4 and the PSVR how much regret am I going to feel in a few days? Do I need to get a Pro, or does the standard PS4 do a decent job, and is there any pipeline for future good games?

Astrobot looks cool and I'm very interested in Firewall, I would also buy Thumper and resident evil. Anything else I need?