Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

My troubles started when I fell asleep at my desk at home and woke up with the back of the my right forearm paralyzed. It went away after a couple of days but I figured that was A Bad Sign, so I started trying to improve my posture on my own. That lead to me overdoing a lift about six months ago which badly strained what I think was part of my right trap and now I get numbness in my right arm if I lean my head back too far (not all that far really), but that's getting better slowly. Getting old blows goats and I don't recommend it.

Hey you might want to get that looked at by a neurologist. For reals. I had the same exact thing going on for about a year before I got looked at. Turns out it was a massive disc herniation in the cervical spine cutting off the nerves leading to numbness, weakness, and atrophy. Required a spinal fusion to repair, but now no more pain or numbness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Go ahead, judge. Find UK's loving parliament in contempt. Good loving luck with that. :cawg:
This really would be a diplomatic crisis if Facebook weren't already hated. Or if people didn't suspect that the Six4Three guy wanted to be compelled to release the documents, since they were arguing they should be public.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chinese researchers may be in the process of birthing the first genetically altered babies, primarily to eliminate a gene that can make people susceptible to HIV infection.

https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1066847809528320000

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chinese researchers may be in the process of birthing the first genetically altered babies, primarily to eliminate a gene that can make people susceptible to HIV infection.

I'm all for a responsible genetic engineering of mankind (read: available to everyone, not just the rich), but this is just bonkers - we don't even have any significant experience in using CRISPR to manipulate other species, and we don't know what kind of cascade effect the editing of that gene could have - it could very well affect development in unpredictable ways, and/or gently caress up the immune system's response to other commonplace viruses. Make your kids less vulnerable to HIV... but they die from a common cold.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That baby's name: Khan Noonien Singh

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Lambert posted:

That baby's name: Khan Noonien Singh

I think he's supposed to be from India.

Better choice: Han Tsu, from Henan province.

Will become next Emperor of China.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Spacewolf posted:

I think he's supposed to be from India.

Fantasy Island, originally.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The same edit makes resistance to HIV, cholera and smallpox. I feel like I can't even imagine what conspiracy theory I'm hinting at or how it'd be useful, but something feels like that list would be "say the HIV part out loud" then have smallpox be the reason someone paid to do it. Like smallpox is extinct and a vaccine exists, but it feels like the sort of thing someone would decide has military significance and fund weird research over.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As the article mentions, the whole thing is more than a bit insane because we can prevent all of those illnesses with current science far cheaper than making designer babies.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Or it's a dumb puff piece like 99% of "scientific" news and nothing more then a story embellished to drive views

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Of course there are cheaper alternatives. This is a PR stunt/proof of concept to show that genome edited humans have no side effects, and the phenotype is that their lymphocytes will be infected by HIV at a lower rate than a wild type individual (hopefully done in vitro).

Genome editing in humans is bound to happen, so let's get on with it. Maybe someone can make a genome hack to kill psychopathy in the general population by increasing mirror neuron density...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Or it's a dumb puff piece like 99% of "scientific" news and nothing more then a story embellished to drive views

Probably it's this.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
This is the tech nightmare thread we all know that the end result of the CRISPR babies will be the people making them arguing their rights as humans are secondary to their right to patent control over their product (their genome) condemning them and their descendants to membership in a permanent slave class.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Feinne posted:

This is the tech nightmare thread we all know that the end result of the CRISPR babies will be the people making them arguing their rights as humans are secondary to their right to patent control over their product (their genome) condemning them and their descendants to membership in a permanent slave class.

Fair, but balance that with "curing diseases is an unsustainable business model."

Really the answer is government-run medical facilities doing genome editing coupled with a guillotine outside the courthouse taking care of the tech shits.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Feinne posted:

Serious question: Is there anything preventing someone from patenting CRISPR-edited genomes, legally? (In the US for argument's sake)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Even if all a baby's genes are patented those patents will expire by the time they're an adult.

In other words, corporations will fight teenage pregnancy because it's patent infringement.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Spacewolf posted:

Serious question: Is there anything preventing someone from patenting CRISPR-edited genomes, legally? (In the US for argument's sake)

The US Supreme Court has specifically ruled that edited human genes, as they are no longer a product of nature, are able to be patented Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics, Inc., 2013 which is the last word the NIH has on the subject. That was apparently mostly intended for dealing with cDNA products but I see no reason the current supreme court wouldn't say it applies to living humans.

EDIT: Remember that if we're going full dystopian novel here that all your cells are tiny factories that largely exist to illicitly produce EvilGeneCo brand DNA, looks like you've got twenty years of infringing their patent to pay back buddy!

EDIT TWO: Your best defense against this would be if the gene sequence they're creating does have a significant natural occurrence, though, because you specifically can't patent the natural human genome in the US. But they could and presumably would add some custom poo poo to the non-transcribe areas and boom that's all she wrote.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 26, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mycomancy posted:

Of course there are cheaper alternatives.

Is there? This is probably pretty cheap as a one time treatment that also covers your future descendants.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Pochoclo posted:

I'm all for a responsible genetic engineering of mankind (read: available to everyone, not just the rich), but this is just bonkers - we don't even have any significant experience in using CRISPR to manipulate other species, and we don't know what kind of cascade effect the editing of that gene could have - it could very well affect development in unpredictable ways, and/or gently caress up the immune system's response to other commonplace viruses. Make your kids less vulnerable to HIV... but they die from a common cold.
I think the gene they're using is already extant in the human population to a significant degree. It also makes people immune to the plague.

https://www.the-scientist.com/research-round-up/could-the-black-death-protect-against-hiv-54468

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there? This is probably pretty cheap as a one time treatment that also covers your future descendants.

OOCC post your hog

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I think most conceivable in vivo human gene edits in the medium term are going to be fixing things back to "normal" or adding/subtracting "natural" stuff.

The CRISPR patent action thusfar is mostly about the method itself. Could be worth billions as a platform technology, but the IP space got very crowded absurdly quickly.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

A funny side effect of human gene editing will be that the first generations, implanted through in vitro fertilization, will probably have dramatically decreased fertility as they never underwent selection during the fertilization process. What I’m saying is they may not have to fight teen pregnancy to protect their patents because the men will all have lazy sperm. The new super babies will be the English Bulldogs of people.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Squalid posted:

A funny side effect of human gene editing will be that the first generations, implanted through in vitro fertilization, will probably have dramatically decreased fertility as they never underwent selection during the fertilization process. What I’m saying is they may not have to fight teen pregnancy to protect their patents because the men will all have lazy sperm. The new super babies will be the English Bulldogs of people.

What? That isn't a thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spacewolf posted:

There are various ways to answer this question but the de facto answer is that the Supreme Court has been rolling back patent rights, not expanding them. Assuming that a company invented a new gene and sought to patent it (you can't patent ones you find), and sought to use that patent right beyond barring anyone else from editing new embryos to contain it, you would reasonably expect a unanimous or near-unanimous (perhaps clarence thomas dissents, on some absolutely loco ground) decision holding that they couldn't do that. Their patent rights would be exhausted by the process of editing the embryo's genome. They would not be able to assert, e.g., a right to control you having children on the theory that a new child with the germline edit was patent infringement.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I wonder how they plan to prove that any kids from this are for real less likely to get smallpox or AIDS?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fishmech posted:

I wonder how they plan to prove that any kids from this are for real less likely to get smallpox or AIDS?

They'll extract immune cells from the kids and then determine their infection rate by HIV or a neutered form of the virus. That's like a doctoral-candidate level technique.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kind of hope this sets off a race to see who can breed the first space marines. Going to be a series of horrible atrocities getting there but the end result will be badass.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It reminds of Drax's plan in Moonraker except instead of having his perfect specimens safe in space while the world dies of his manufactured disease they'll just be immune to it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

It's a gene that already exists, you'd just check if the kid was expressing the proteins, you wouldn't need to inject him with smallpox to check

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ahahaha, get hosed Facebook

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1067264922277548032

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

meh, it isn't zuckerberg

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Facebook’s gonna be the start of WWIII, lol.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

super sweet best pal posted:

Kind of hope this sets off a race to see who can breed the first space marines. Going to be a series of horrible atrocities getting there but the end result will be badass.

More than likely it'll be some kind of genocide through genetic engineering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Star Man posted:

Finally back on track for the Eugenics Wars.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Star Man posted:

Nope, it'll be fascism then death by climate change. Why get futuristic when we have all the tools we need RIGHT NOW?!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mycomancy posted:

Nope, it'll be fascism then death by climate change. Why get futuristic when we have all the tools we need RIGHT NOW?!

Why not both?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Star Man posted:

Why not both?

Because genetic engineering genocide is super hard, and bullets are super cheap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mycomancy posted:

Because genetic engineering genocide is super hard, and bullets are super cheap.

The "a tire iron breaks any secure password when applied to the leg" principle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm surprised they didn't jump right for super strength

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1877876/

I mean it's what I'd do if I were a gene scientist, I'd have super strong childrens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Surprise, it's almost certainly bullshit:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/27/china-orders-inquiry-into-worlds-first-gene-edited-babies

quote:

“The girls are safe and healthy as any other babies,” said He, who was educated at Stanford University and works from a lab in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen. He did not offer evidence of his work, which has not been independently verified or published in a peer-reviewed journal.