Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't a military base also train marines which are needed for some other structures? As well as expand your patrol size which gives you significant roving space defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm gonna have to settle with a mid-tier planet in this game because I'm convinced no good ones exist. I also can't find any pristine nanoforges or alpha cores or good derelict ships :argh:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

linall posted:

If you set up a second one in another system it generally won't get raided, as raids almost always target your "homeworld". Unless you enable Free Port on your second colony anyway. A second colony in your main system means twice the patrols ( which spawn from the military base iirc? ) if you build one on each planet. I didn't really have the issues everyone else did with my planet getting swatted by a million fleets ( possibly a combination of playing on easy for my first .9 game and lots of bribes ) but more military buildings in the one system are only going to help you defend better. It's probably a choice of how much you actually want to be around your colony. A colony in the same system will help them be self sufficient regarding raids sooner while a second colony on the better planet will mean you'll make more money but you'll likely have to help your homesystem defend against raids a fair amount.

Thanks. I guess what I'm wondering specifically is that in the tooltip for military base, it says something about interstellar patrols, but it isn't clear to me if it's just flavor text or actually a description of what happens. So if I have a military base in system A, and a colony in system B, will fleets from A go over to B to help keep it safe? Or is defense handled strictly on a system-by-system basis?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't a military base also train marines which are needed for some other structures? As well as expand your patrol size which gives you significant roving space defence.

Yupp. A system with more than 1 fleet command starts vomiting out absurd numbers of ships.

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks. I guess what I'm wondering specifically is that in the tooltip for military base, it says something about interstellar patrols, but it isn't clear to me if it's just flavor text or actually a description of what happens. So if I have a military base in system A, and a colony in system B, will fleets from A go over to B to help keep it safe? Or is defense handled strictly on a system-by-system basis?

System by system.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

You get some force projection in interstellar ( warp? I forget what Starsector calls it ) space but the fleet just hangs around guarding the colony's gravity wells. I've never seen a fleet from A head over to B.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

grimcreaper posted:

Oh, and gently caress the new warp storms. Neat idea but I get my rear end tossed across the loving cosmos into enemy fleets way to god damned often. One misstep and suddenly your on a ride that leaves all your ships at less than 10% cr and then punched into an enemy fleet that will shred you apart.

I like the idea of being blown off course by space storms, but the implementation is lousy.

Nebula regions are too large and unbroken. Nearly every system should (but doesn’t) have a lane into it that is mostly clear. Not a wall of storms the likes of which even God has never seen.

Storms come up too fast and stick around too long. When any sizeable nebula must be traversed, avoiding the storms is hopeless.

If the storms are going to blow the player off course, why do they hurt ships? It’s a mechanic that made sense in previous versions, but is the added fuel and maintenance just from the trip not now punishment enough?

I did have one good experience with storms when I surfed them to meet an otherwise impossible deadline.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
you know how when you go to system map through tab, and click a planet, and it brings up a screen that's every star+planet in the system, and you can click through them to see hazards and whatnot? is there a way to get to that screen directly?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Holy poo poo I just realized you can print not only ships but also weapons from blueprints, this is amazing.

The game could use some sort of a time skip/wait function, though it might make things too easy in terms of getting a colony going.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The storm walls are something you should consider when you're deciding which way to go. There are routes through them if you check the map with hyperspace mode on, and particularly there are rings of clear paths which circle across the sector. It essentially makes getting to and from the core worlds difficult but once you're out a certain distance, you can move across an arc fairly easily.

Avoiding them at speed is hard, especially if you have a large fleet, but smaller fleets and fleets not using sustained burn are much more maneuverable and can quite easily weave between most of them. What it costs you is time, you are choosing between time, fuel and supplies, which of those you have more of determines how you approach them, and I think that's good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 26, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know about the real map and the spiral lanes, but in my sector, at least, there exist star systems which are in pockets with a screen or more of nebulosity on all sides.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jinnigan posted:

you know how when you go to system map through tab, and click a planet, and it brings up a screen that's every star+planet in the system, and you can click through them to see hazards and whatnot? is there a way to get to that screen directly?

No, the UI could definitely use a few shortcuts. Same deal for getting to your officers, or checking commodity prices / sector production. There's a number of hidden screens right now which you just find by clicking on stuff.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The amount of nebulas and storms does feel too intense right now but it’s not that hard to just pack extra supplies and power through, evading where it isn’t too much :effort:. I kind of like the surfing mechanic.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I know about the real map and the spiral lanes, but in my sector, at least, there exist star systems which are in pockets with a screen or more of nebulosity on all sides.

Grab the faster repair skill and throw some solar shielding on. If you do it right you can full burn through just about any storm and take minimal damage. Plus as a bonus, it saves fuel and it’s usually quicker. Unless you hit a weird storm cluster and get thrown waaaay off course that is.

I’m currently building an exploratory/trade fleet just for this purpose. With only about half of the fleet modded properly I’m still able to travel long range (I modded a larger sector for fun) with a fairly low supply expense above daily use.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Yupp. A system with more than 1 fleet command starts vomiting out absurd numbers of ships.

Absurd sums it up. I have a system with 3 planets all having fleet command. I have so many patrols zooming around that the game noticeably slows down when I'm in my system.

Despite all that, pirates are still able to get in and capture nav and sensor relays before getting obliterated.

And the dozens of fleets I have just ignore the captured relays until I come back and fix it.

Am I correct in understanding that there is no way to just outright "capture" an enemy colony like you could in Nexerelin?

The pirates and pathers actually have some planets I want, it seems I can bomb them or raid them, but really I just want to subjugate them. Seems I need to destabilize them till they decivilize and then colonize them myself?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Awww, looks like no Nexerelin update for quite some time, probably late next year. Author needs to dig into the colony functions.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There's a shitton of examining the new content to be done before they can do anything with Nexerilin. It's a huge change to the game.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So when you lose one of your ships in a fight and salvage it, as far as I can tell they add a D-mod. Is there ever a way to fix/remove them or are you stuck buying a new ship or hopefully having strong production from your own colony?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BitterAvatar posted:

So when you lose one of your ships in a fight and salvage it, as far as I can tell they add a D-mod. Is there ever a way to fix/remove them or are you stuck buying a new ship or hopefully having strong production from your own colony?

On the refit screen at a dock, hit the restore button. It costs a lot of money but yes you can restore them.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

OwlFancier posted:

On the refit screen at a dock, hit the restore button. It costs a lot of money but yes you can restore them.

Holy poo poo I had no idea that existed. Awesome.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

There are also skills that greatly reduce the chance of the ship getting messed up.

Ultimately once you have production fully running it's easier to just scrap and replace ships with bad dmods. Keep in mind - not all dmods are bad.

I don't care if my carrier has crippled sensors, power grid and hull damage. It just needs to launch fighters and sit back and with 3 dmods it's cheaper to maintain.

Restoring ships costs more than building them from scratch. So it's generally not worth it until you are basically swimming in money and just can't be bothered to replace it or you can't get the same ship again.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OwlFancier posted:

Oh poo poo, brb restoring my Paragon to mint. :stonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haha did none of y'all read the description of d-mod craft? It says you can restore them at a dockyard.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

There are also skills that greatly reduce the chance of the ship getting messed up.

Ultimately once you have production fully running it's easier to just scrap and replace ships with bad dmods. Keep in mind - not all dmods are bad.

I don't care if my carrier has crippled sensors, power grid and hull damage. It just needs to launch fighters and sit back and with 3 dmods it's cheaper to maintain.

Yeah, carriers and non-combat hulls can be rusted out piles for all I care as long as they do the intended job.

BUT, if you are running a stealth fleet it's not a bad idea to restore or replace. I keep a low profile fleet around just to hunt pirates and the like and stealth cuts down on the emergency burn chasing.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Retro42 posted:

Yeah, carriers and non-combat hulls can be rusted out piles for all I care as long as they do the intended job.

BUT, if you are running a stealth fleet it's not a bad idea to restore or replace. I keep a low profile fleet around just to hunt pirates and the like and stealth cuts down on the emergency burn chasing.

Yeah there are a handful of horrible dmods that greatly raise your signature - and you can have multiple dmods that do it on a single ship.

Basically "good" dmods for many ships:
Compromised Armor
Compromised Hull
Structural Damage

Bad Dmods:

Faulty Power Grid (+ Sensor Profile - scrap if stealth)
Unreliable Subsystem (Massive CR reduction)
Damaged Flight Deck (OK if you don't lose fighters, bad/crippling if you do)

Crippling Dmods - Scrap/restore these:

Defective Manufactory
Malfunctioning Comms
Glitched Sensor Array (ok on carriers, cripping on all else)
Degraded engine
Phase Coil Instability

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Rime posted:

No, the UI could definitely use a few shortcuts. Same deal for getting to your officers, or checking commodity prices / sector production. There's a number of hidden screens right now which you just find by clicking on stuff.

I made a UI suggestions thread on the official forums!! stick all that stuff here! http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14260.0

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OwlFancier posted:

Haha did none of y'all read the description of d-mod craft? It says you can restore them at a dockyard.

To be fair I’m pretty sure it was not possible to do this without mods for a really long time, this is the first time I’m hearing of it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Restoration has been in since d-mods were introduced AFAIK.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah there are a handful of horrible dmods that greatly raise your signature - and you can have multiple dmods that do it on a single ship.

Basically "good" dmods for many ships:
Compromised Armor
Compromised Hull
Structural Damage

Bad Dmods:

Faulty Power Grid (+ Sensor Profile - scrap if stealth)
Unreliable Subsystem (Massive CR reduction)
Damaged Flight Deck (OK if you don't lose fighters, bad/crippling if you do)

Crippling Dmods - Scrap/restore these:

Defective Manufactory
Malfunctioning Comms
Glitched Sensor Array (ok on carriers, cripping on all else)
Degraded engine
Phase Coil Instability

Unreliable subsystem is probably the most benign D-Mod in the game. Most fights shouldn't last long enough for CR to become an issue.
Degraded Engine is bad but depending on the ship and your fleet size it isn't always 100% an issue. If it's on an enforcer or something and you have cruisers dragging your burn speed down anyway, for instance.

Also, RNG loves me today, searched 4 systems, found 4 Legion Battlecarriers, all XIV battlegroup variant.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Unreliable subsystem is probably the most benign D-Mod in the game. Most fights shouldn't last long enough for CR to become an issue.
Degraded Engine is bad but depending on the ship and your fleet size it isn't always 100% an issue. If it's on an enforcer or something and you have cruisers dragging your burn speed down anyway, for instance.

Also, RNG loves me today, searched 4 systems, found 4 Legion Battlecarriers, all XIV battlegroup variant.

degraded engine is on my poo poo list as it's lower burn speed AND higher signature. Yeah it won't mater much on a frigate I suppose - but I hate that dmod on pretty much everything else.

I have had CR become an issue when fighting stations or large fleets, or in a corona. I'll be honest I can't say how much of an effect that lower CR has been, but I've gotten the reports for malfunction risk for those ships.

Really my point in making this list was to get a bit ahead of the "restore your ships!" train as restoring isn't always worth it until later part of the game.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 26, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That is only true if you only engage in small battles (that end quickly) or have enough ships to rotate out as their CR runs out that you're ok.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Big pirate fleets never die quick. 75% is grinding down the slow moving hunks of armor they call capitals and then 25% chasing down the Kites/etc that scatter. CR Reduction is a death sentence on bigger ships because I only field them when I need the staying power against a big enemy fleet.

BTW, malfunction risk from CR reduction typically means engine flame-out or weapons disabling themselves. Either of those at the wrong moment means new D-mods on that ship after you glue it back together.

Increased sensor signature doesn't seem *that* bad until you realize it's why you can see that blob of pirates coming at you from halfway across the system.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Retro42 posted:

Increased sensor signature doesn't seem *that* bad until you realize it's why you can see that blob of pirates coming at you from halfway across the system.

You can also use low sensor profile to sneak up on bounty targets who would otherwise run away and then emergency burn into their face as you are entering their sensor range.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Every single combat ship I have runs hardend subsystems for the very purpose of slogging though pirate hellfleets.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McGiggins posted:

Every single combat ship I have runs hardend subsystems for the very purpose of slogging though pirate hellfleets.

SMH if you aren't putting Hardened Subsystems on all your phase ships and high tech ships below the size of cruisers

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Muffinlord posted:

I found a XIV legion as a derelict in a system. You better believe i paid out for the restoration. Those large missile slots make that thing deadly against incoming fighters with a pair of Locusts in them.

Has anyone attempted to do a fleet mod that's just pure organic ship hulls, like the Vorlons/Shadows from Babylon 5 or space whales or something? I see lots of mods with curves but I kinda want something further down the organic tech tree than that. I don't really care if it doesn't fit the setting, I want a space whale battleship or something.

I have three of them in my fleet. They're pretty solid.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

BitterAvatar posted:

It seems like anything that grants 'increased chance to be recovered after battle' also reduces the chance to take a D-mod during this recovery. With all the skills, and either blast doors or reinforced bulkheads, I've seen ships blow up five or six times before they took a negative mod. If you dumped the fitting points for both mods, they might just be immortal.

Which is a slightly grim picture of hosing the old crew out of the otherwise pristine corridors and bunking in the new crew, but, as you do in the sector.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ceebees posted:

It seems like anything that grants 'increased chance to be recovered after battle' also reduces the chance to take a D-mod during this recovery. With all the skills, and either blast doors or reinforced bulkheads, I've seen ships blow up five or six times before they took a negative mod. If you dumped the fitting points for both mods, they might just be immortal.

Which is a slightly grim picture of hosing the old crew out of the otherwise pristine corridors and bunking in the new crew, but, as you do in the sector.
I think there is a bug with one of the industry skills that reduces the chance for recovered/salvaged ships to have D-mods, because I regularly salvage my own Lasher (LP) frigates after battle and they went in with 1 D mod and came out with no D mods

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Better living through loss :confuoot:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Most fights shouldn't last long enough for CR to become an issue.

\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kenshin posted:

I think there is a bug with one of the industry skills that reduces the chance for recovered/salvaged ships to have D-mods, because I regularly salvage my own Lasher (LP) frigates after battle and they went in with 1 D mod and came out with no D mods

Obviously they were able to fix the flaw during the recovery process. :v: