Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

hobbesmaster posted:

They weren’t cost effective :negative:

Because the whole "armed hydrofoil" program was experimental or because they only built six of the Pegasus hydrofoils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don’t hydrofoil have a ridiculous draft when they’re in displacement mode? Or do the skids retract?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Don’t hydrofoil have a ridiculous draft when they’re in displacement mode? Or do the skids retract?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Is that Port Orchard WA with Blake Island in the background?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Wikipedia metadata claims its key west, fl.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

hobbesmaster posted:

The Wikipedia metadata claims its key west, fl.

That makes more sense but I know they tested them out of Bremerton.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LingcodKilla posted:

That makes more sense but I know they tested them out of Bremerton.

Bad spot for hydrofoils with all the floating deadhead logs around the Puget sound/Straight of Juan de Fuca :ohdear:

There used to be hydrofoil service between Vancouver and Victoria BC and I’m sad I never got to go on it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

There used to be hydrofoil service between Vancouver and Victoria BC and I’m sad I never got to go on it.

Trip report: sea sickness inducing

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Yeah that looks like the USCG port they have down there. It's right next door to a killer marina which is why you see all those boss rear end boats in the background.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A few years back there was noise about a re-engine of B-1’s to the F-119 from the raptor. I wonder if anyone’s looked at a re-engine with F-135’s providing 40k+lbf of wet thrust. It was supposedly going to super cruise at Mach 1.2 with the Raptor engines. I wonder how much more impressive it’s speed would be with 4 of those babies at full afterburners. Or hell, milpower.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

A few years back there was noise about a re-engine of B-1’s to the F-119 from the raptor. I wonder if anyone’s looked at a re-engine with F-135’s providing 40k+lbf of wet thrust. It was supposedly going to super cruise at Mach 1.2 with the Raptor engines. I wonder how much more impressive it’s speed would be with 4 of those babies at full afterburners. Or hell, milpower.

B-1s are loud enough *stock* - I think a B-1 packing four F-135s would set off every car alarm in a five mile radius on a normal takeoff. I'd also have concerns about the age of the airframes and the fact that the -B was designed for low-mach flight. The B-1R was designed to give the B-1 supercruise capability, but also a long-lived Mach 2+ dash capability as well.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 24, 2018

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

B-1s are loud enough *stock* - I think a B-1 packing four F-135s would set off every car alarm in a five mile radius on a normal takeoff.

Yeah but what about the negatives?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Crossposting since there are plenty nerds here who'd be interested. They are currently sucking really hard in aerial refuel and struggling to get any gas.

quote:

Heatblur is now livestreaming first ever gameplay footage of the Tomcat for DCS World. It's worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awqmQT1jaSs

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 24, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Crossposting since there are plenty nerds here who'd be interested. They are currently sucking really hard in aerial refuel and struggling to get any gas.

comments are amazing. "This formation is unsafe and only done for publicity!!!" as two virtual video game F-14s take a gentle right-hander in a tight formation into a sunset.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got to see them shoot down a plane!!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got to see them shoot down a plane!!

And now these devs who are obviously far more gifted in coding than flying are going to attempt carrier landing. Maybe not best marketing.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

And now these devs who are obviously far more gifted in coding than flying are going to attempt carrier landing. Maybe not best marketing.

Some dev posted:

I think it's safe to say the kinetic energy of that "landing" just caused a tsunami, bro

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, one of them had a wing sweep failure and went into the drink. The "bro" comment was made by the Jester AI RIO.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Breaking: Russia escalating the conflict with Ukraine to the Sea.

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-fires-at-ukraine-ships-in-black-sea-11563775

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Oh poo poo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Great. Wonderful. Just what we needed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Great. Wonderful. Just what we needed.

They own the US President, everyone else isn't going to war without the US. They will get a strongly worded letter from the U.N.

I mean they shot down a 777 over Ukraine and got away with it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

There's that old quote from Kruschov about West Berlin being the testicles of the west, "I only need to squeeze them, and NATO will forget everything else" or something similar. I get the vibe the big idea is to be scary and provoke and stress us, and not actually something more serious.

sumthin sumthin "The Implication"

E. gently caress, it's Russia actually "pissing on your shoes and telling you it's raining". Simply being a prick. Of course they will get the added bonus of "We are the only ones that can fight back against the imperialists" etc

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 25, 2018

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
Possible footage of a Ukrainian boat being rammed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcTSDaCg5xA

Taken later, near the bridge:

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 25, 2018

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Apparently Russia just seized a third of Ukraine's armed fleet. Ukraine's national security council now holding a crisis meeting with talk of martial law.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sperglord Actual posted:

Apparently Russia just seized a third of Ukraine's armed fleet. Ukraine's national security council now holding a crisis meeting with talk of martial law.

Is their armed fleet that tiny? That's terrifying. Also those boats will be perfect for securing that strait, and they're conveniently outside their freighter wall. Something with real teeth will be required to kick them out.

I don't see Ukraine failing to go to war over this, but ouch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There's that old quote from Kruschov about West Berlin being the testicles of the west, "I only need to squeeze them, and NATO will forget everything else" or something similar. I get the vibe the big idea is to be scary and provoke and stress us, and not actually something more serious.

sumthin sumthin "The Implication"

E. gently caress, it's Russia actually "pissing on your shoes and telling you it's raining". Simply being a prick. Of course they will get the added bonus of "We are the only ones that can fight back against the imperialists" etc

This is definitely Russia pointing out that their navy is still A Thing despite recent events.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, how provocative would it be if all Russian assets in banks outside of Russia were frozen?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

E: Nevermind.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, how provocative would it be if all Russian assets in banks outside of Russia were frozen?

We’ll never know, Donnie Dumbfuck isn’t gonna do it.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Godholio posted:

This is definitely Russia pointing out that their navy is still A Thing despite recent events.

Their "navy" consisted, in this case, of a patrol boat and a cargo ship parked under a bridge

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Kesper North posted:

Is their armed fleet that tiny? That's terrifying.

It used to be substantially larger, but Russia seized a lot of naval assets during the initial Crimean crisis - it's where the majority of Ukraine's navy operated out of iirc.

Russia has yet to return 18 ships owing to Ukraine not renewing a ceasefire.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Don't worry the EU has come out with the strongest conceivable action they can think of and asked both sides to de-escalate.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

J33uk posted:

Don't worry the EU has come out with the strongest conceivable action they can think of and asked both sides to de-escalate.

The EU is reliant on gas exports from Russia. They can't make any bold statements or they get cut off.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

On a lighter note, in the ever escalating Russo-Norwegian game of naval one-upmanship, Norwegians responded to the Russian "look, we can ram boats too, and not even our own" with an impromptu display of immediately and inexplicably sinking one of their own floating docks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cut this out. If you want to make commentary on contemporary domestic US politics take it to D&D.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Deptfordx posted:

Breaking: Russia escalating the conflict with Ukraine to the Sea.

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-fires-at-ukraine-ships-in-black-sea-11563775

in a not surprising turn of event, the president of the united states comes out and condems ukraine for their acts of agression against russian bullets and bombs. Claiming putin told him it was the ukrainins attacking the naval artiliary of the russian forces and russia is sadden by the turn of events.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

J33uk posted:

England has a reasonable shot of seizing assets, there is a ton of Russian money tied up there. Unfortunately they haven't really shown the political will to do so, even after Russia has (allegedly) murdered people on British soil.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Anything that might contribute to giving the Ukrainians the idea that maybe they don't have to take Russia's poo poo is not in Ukraine's interest.

e: like they're gonna get a couple thousand more babushka's only sons shredded and let the rest of them medicate their PTSD with vodka and Krokodil and all that over a potential slight difference in the flavor of cleptocrat in charge.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Independence posted:

The EU is reliant on gas exports from Russia. They can't make any bold statements or they get cut off.

Good thing that the EU had recently concluded a deal that would let them get access to the world's largest gas reservoir, with just a few hundred kms of pipelines to build to connect to the existing network. A megaproject called SP 11 was ongoing. That could have allowed to wean the EU off of Russia's gassy teats. But then someone had to go and throw a wrench in the machine because it was very important to Make Europe Buy Russian Gas Again. This made Vladimir Putin very happy, and also made Xi Jinping very happy too, for a different but related reason, as China got to be the sole partner of SP 11.