Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DoLittle posted:

Carlos Ghosn, boss of Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi has been arrested in Japan for significant financial misconduct: http://www.autonews.com/article/20181119/COPY01/311199927

"Ghosn, 64, allegedly under-reported his income in official stock market filings. He diverted corporate investment funds for personal use. And he misused company expenses, Saikawa said. Ghosn was taken into custody earlier in the day after arriving at a Tokyo airport and charged with similar violations of Japan’s financial laws, local media reported."

Whoa, that's pretty serious. It'll be interesting to see what the fallout is to this news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Have you been to New England? The Crosstrek is insanely popular. This won’t sell a ton overall but the NE and PNW is definitely the market.

How the gently caress are they not selling that in Colorado? Maybe the hybrid system would help it go up mountain roads?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

How the gently caress are they not selling that in Colorado? Maybe the hybrid system would help it go up mountain roads?
Probably because NA motors stink in the mountains when the car is already s l o w.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

This is my bi-monthy statement of "FA20 turbo + 6 speed in Crosstrek and I would have bought one already."

:same:

It'd honestly be a better WRX than the current WRX

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BloodBag posted:

I just want a 5.0L GT with a manual in a nice blue with a black interior. I'm not liking autocross as much as I liked the idea of autocrossing. Having a bitchin cruiser to go to and from work on pretty days is pretty much all I do with the miata anymore.
The problem with autocross is the 30 second time times with an hour+ between runs. Which is the problem with a ton of events which run similarly.

stevobob posted:

Autoblog has first drive impressions and stats for the new Crosstrek (plug-in) Hybrid. 8.8kWh battery and hybrid system from the Prius Prime, with the 2.0l Boxer (presumably the FA20). 17 miles/27km of all-electric range, which is pretty piddly, but it's still full-time AWD with or without the engine running. 90 MPGe or 35 MPG with just the gas engine. Not huge numbers but still a cool offering, if it sells (which it won't, since you can only get it in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont). No mention of Canada in this article.

edit: link https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-phev-review/
I'm still hoping the model Y is similar in size to the Crosstrek. Because a performance model would be in my future. More cargo and baby seat space than a model 3.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 20, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DoLittle posted:

Carlos Ghosn, boss of Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi has been arrested in Japan for significant financial misconduct: http://www.autonews.com/article/20181119/COPY01/311199927

"Ghosn, 64, allegedly under-reported his income in official stock market filings. He diverted corporate investment funds for personal use. And he misused company expenses, Saikawa said. Ghosn was taken into custody earlier in the day after arriving at a Tokyo airport and charged with similar violations of Japan’s financial laws, local media reported."

from WSJ

quote:

A statement from Tokyo prosecutors said that in the five fiscal years ending March 2015, Mr. Ghosn received compensation of nearly ¥10 billion ($89 million) but that Nissan reported only about half that amount in filings to the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Prosecutors said he was under suspicion of violating a Japanese law that prohibits false financial filings.

Just a $45 million dollar accounting fraud

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

The problem with autocross is the 30 second time times with an hour+ between runs. Which is the problem with a ton of events which run similarly.

I'm still hoping the model Y is similar in size to the Crosstrek. Because a performance model would be in my future. More cargo and baby seat space than a model 3.

I hear track days are much better on the driving/standing around ratio, but then you start spending real money on consumables and mistakes are expensive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best dollar to seat time ratio has and likely always will be karting. It's probably the most fun too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wrar posted:

Probably because NA motors stink in the mountains when the car is already s l o w.

I know. The regular Crosstrek is all over the place here, it's dumb as poo poo for them to not sell one that would actually be better here and would still sell like crazy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

I know. The regular Crosstrek is all over the place here, it's dumb as poo poo for them to not sell one that would actually be better here and would still sell like crazy.

or. better idea, just keep producing as many of the garbage ones they can and sell them for the same price as a good one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

This reminds me of the weirdest thing about all of the crossovers: less ground clearance than sedans. Toyota's C-HR is a particularly bad example, reviews mention: "Indeed, the C-HR has 0.8 inch less ground clearance than a Corolla".

The difference in ground clearance between a Gwagen and the Crosstrek is like less than 1". No one who buys SUVs actually goes off-road, hth.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The compact CUVs are mind-boggling when you're stopped next to one in a Mazda 3, you look over and you can't be sure from where you're sitting which car is taller

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FBS posted:

The compact CUVs are mind-boggling when you're stopped next to one in a Mazda 3, you look over and you can't be sure from where you're sitting which car is taller
They're just trading an inch of headroom for an inch of ground clearance compared to a hatchback. The Crosstrek is basically an impreza on short stilts.

Which reminds me of seeing a Forester the other day. Lowered, with soft mudguards, dual exhaust, and a drat wing. Thing wanted to be an STi but wasn't even close. Lol.

Residency Evil posted:

I hear track days are much better on the driving/standing around ratio, but then you start spending real money on consumables and mistakes are expensive.
Having done both, very true. Lots more seat time, lots more risk and speed. And expense.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

They are, and if you have a smaller karting track near you, they're perfect for a miata level power. I've been to a couple and only noticed the tires getting chewed up a bit but even then not as bad as on a big track because you're doing like 120km/h tops on the straight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bull3964 posted:

The best dollar to seat time ratio has and likely always will be karting. It's probably the most fun too.

Rallying shitboxes is far FAR more a better cost to time ratio. 200-300 bucks for three hours race time. And it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FBS posted:

A CX-5 is a lot taller than a 3 hatch - 225mm. A CX-3 is lower but it's also a far smaller vehicle (basically a 2)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Residency Evil posted:

I did a track day in my mini cooper 10 years ago and you're definitely right. Two days on the track and $400. I learned a lot but it was a ton of standing around while actual fast cars drove. As I get older, I get more conservative with how I drive and now Corvettes are starting to look nice to me. Must be my big gut and grey hairs :v:

Boomers sure won't let corvette prices fall. It blows my mind how a raggedy corvette is still expensive as hell, just like Harleys, RVs, houses, and Gibson Les Pauls. These companies poo poo these things out and still the price stays high. Boomers! :argh:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Seems like a lot of problems will be solved once all of the boomers die out lmao

Can't wait to pick up some ringa-dinga 50s cars with diner tray and creepy doll for $2,000.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

dissss posted:

A CX-5 is a lot taller than a 3 hatch - 225mm. A CX-3 is lower but it's also a far smaller vehicle (basically a 2)

I guess I was referring more to the "subcompact" CUVs like the CX-3, Kona, GLA, etc. that have the same presence among traffic as a conventional car.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FBS posted:

I guess I was referring more to the "subcompact" CUVs like the CX-3, Kona, GLA, etc. that have the same presence among traffic as a conventional car.

I saw a kona in person for the first time today and couldn't honestly tell you what makes it a crossover instead of a hatchback. Body cladding maybe?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

I saw a kona in person for the first time today and couldn't honestly tell you what makes it a crossover instead of a hatchback. Body cladding maybe?

The overall ride height and seating position is higher and more upright than a hatchback. Compared to something like a Mazda3 or Golf where the whole cabin just sits lower and you “sit down into” the car.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Guinness posted:

The overall ride height and seating position is higher and more upright than a hatchback. Compared to something like a Mazda3 or Golf where the whole cabin just sits lower and you “sit down into” the car.

It looked pretty comparable to a Golf.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Oldest Man posted:

It looked pretty comparable to a Golf.

It's really not when you driving it. The extra 100 or so mm make a big difference.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
I've seen a lot of posters here insist that getting in and out of your car easily is only important to fat, old or disabled people, but they're wrong, hence all the CUV's and whatnot.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Seik posted:

I've seen a lot of posters here insist that getting in and out of your car easily is only important to fat, old or disabled people, but they're wrong, hence all the CUV's and whatnot.

well then most other people just want to see over the fats and invalids sliding in and out of their swollen playschool cars

meanwhile sophisticated car enthusiasts effortlessly drop our lithe frames into our low-slung manual rwd station wagons and race to valhalla, to shitpost eternal, shiny and chrome

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seik posted:

If there is a noticeable difference in the ease of entering or exiting your vehicle between a normal econobox and a crossover, you are, ipso facto, physically disabled. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hell, I'm disabled enough that I actually do notice the difficulty of entering a normal 4x4 truck or SUV if it doesn't have running boards, and I have no problem getting in and out of the Golf without even thinking about it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Automotive_News/status/1067068487334473728

Looks like GM is pulling a Ford and getting rid of many of their cars

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

incels interlinked posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure that when fuel prices inevitably go up again they can just bring over a bunch of smaller, more fuel efficient European-designed cars from Ope....oh.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gas prices will be low for 1000 years, we will frack until the end of times. When visiting relatives in Texas over thanksgiving, I saw gas under $2/gallon!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I will miss the lovely speedos they ship Cadillacs with.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

This frees up a lot of JD Power awards for the competition!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Gas prices have fluctuated so much that most people don’t pay attention to them any more.
And the small difference in fuel usage between a CUV or crossover and sedan is not enough to make people reconsider anyway.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nonsense posted:

I will miss the lovely speedos they ship Cadillacs with.

When I first read this comment, I was very confused.

Then I remembered seeing a picture of the ATS dash. Ugh.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nickbunkley/status/1067100546929213440

Also almost 15,000 jobs lost as a result of this

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

i own every Bionicle posted:

And the small difference in fuel usage between a CUV or crossover

Does the C in CUV not already stand for crossover? Or is crossover a different market segment than a crossover utility vehicle?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Gas should cost $8+ a gallon like in all of the sane places in the world

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
FU, I like my old cheap cars that do 19mpg. $5 a gallon is annoying enough

E:

davebo posted:

Does the C in CUV not already stand for crossover? Or is crossover a different market segment than a crossover utility vehicle?

TIL, I always thought 'C' stood for compact, ie smaller SUV. I have no idea what a crossover is these days because it could apply to any utility wagon or hatch now

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 26, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

2020 kia soul

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Infinotize posted:

This would crash the gently caress out of the US economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Infinotize posted:

I'll make that trade if we get universal healthcare too.