Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

64bit_Dophins posted:

That's really dope man

Have you tried resetting the stereo?

Are you in FLA? Let me know if you're trying to sell anymore of those beauties.

I have not tried to reset the stereo though I'm not even sure how I'd do it anyway, have to look into it.

I am in Florida yeah, Sarasota area. I have the good AZ-1 up on just craigslist right now, will put it on Facebook marketplace later and see what the response is.

Rhyno posted:

you're selling the AZ-1s.

Close thread, nothing more to see here.

AZ-1s are rad and I've had my time with it. It's worth a lot of chedda and there are always more neat JDM rides so time to move on!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But.

BUT.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

I have not tried to reset the stereo though I'm not even sure how I'd do it anyway, have to look into it.

I am in Florida yeah, Sarasota area. I have the good AZ-1 up on just craigslist right now, will put it on Facebook marketplace later and see what the response is.

AZ-1s are read and I've had my time with it. It's worth a lot of chedda and there are always more neat JDM rides so time to move on!

I'm in ATL. I just found your ad and I can not afford the AZ-1 although I would love to buy it. It is minty af and the pictures on the ad are great.

I was wondering if you were trying to sell any of the Jimneys

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rhyno posted:

But.

BUT.

Don't worry I will make the poor choice of importing an AZ-1 so there will atleast be one Florida goon with an az-1 in this thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm in ATL. I just found your ad and I can not afford the AZ-1 although I would love to buy it. It is minty af and the pictures on the ad are great.

I was wondering if you were trying to sell any of the Jimneys

Yeah we have the 92 dark blue/purple one up for sale right now and we're waiting on the Rugger and Bongo to be delivered before we have the state send out their inspector to get the other gray Jimny with the sick 90s decals on the side up for sale.

Check out what we all missed tho:

Fukkin' camper Crown

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh my god

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
My Sambar just hit stateside and I'm getting ready to have it trucked to me in a few days! There is a rusty window trim and I am hoping I could just replace that and it's not worse underneath. Should I use one of those part sites and put in my VIN to find OEM replacement parts or is window trim more of a generic item I can trim(heh) to fit? Here's a picture Yoshi sent me showing the damage:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

johnnyonetime posted:

My Sambar just hit stateside and I'm getting ready to have it trucked to me in a few days! There is a rusty window trim and I am hoping I could just replace that and it's not worse underneath. Should I use one of those part sites and put in my VIN to find OEM replacement parts or is window trim more of a generic item I can trim(heh) to fit? Here's a picture Yoshi sent me showing the damage:

That certainly looks like a separate trim piece that could be clean underneath. I'd take a look at the part sites just to see if that is an actual separate part.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, that's almost certainly a separate piece for the rubber-covered one, but the vertical patch looks to be the panel itself, and that could well run under the trim piece - I'd be wary, but if you need to repair under the trim, it'll be hidden.

You could try stripping all the coating off the trim piece and painting it with black PlastiDip, that's often good for giving an OEM-looking finish, but if the metal that makes up the body of it is completely disintegrated, try just getting a similar part from a car at the junkyard - doesn't really matter what, as long as it has a similar cross-section, and you can trim it to fit.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve driven 500+ miles in past 48 hour s but I had to get the Cruiser out for a beer tonight. I love it never buying anything else (I like lying to myself)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

everdave posted:

I’ve driven 500+ miles in past 48 hour s but I had to get the Cruiser out for a beer tonight. I love it never buying anything else (I like lying to myself)

:vince:

Goddamn what a stunner. Did you find yourself wishing it were manual or do you not care that much about it anyway? The automatic working for you? How’s the mileage?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

:vince:

Goddamn what a stunner. Did you find yourself wishing it were manual or do you not care that much about it anyway? The automatic working for you? How’s the mileage?

If I get my forever truck I’d probably get a manual but the auto fits this beast of a 4 door. As soon as glow plug light is off it starts with one click. I don’t know about mileage I know it said cluster change but I don’t see how it has over 100k km. 24 is showing. Seats and headliner and undercarriage are PERFECT. Kaker thought he saw a t belt sticker but there isn’t one it’s for the ac. So I don’t know.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

everdave posted:

If I get my forever truck I’d probably get a manual but the auto fits this beast of a 4 door. As soon as glow plug light is off it starts with one click. I don’t know about mileage I know it said cluster change but I don’t see how it has over 100k km. 24 is showing. Seats and headliner and undercarriage are PERFECT. Kaker thought he saw a t belt sticker but there isn’t one it’s for the ac. So I don’t know.

Well I’m mondo jealous and contemplating pushing my 4Runner into a lake now so

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

It costs about 200 bucks in parts for the belts, tensioner and water pump and an afternoon to change it all diving in blind. The reason I went ahead and did it was because the AC and alternator belts were so glazed as to be losing grip bad enough to not keep the battery charged. The 2.4 2L-TE has a reputation for head gasket failures so I figured I'd to the timing too.

More often than not the cars I get have been sitting a while so I'd at least change the oil asap, it might literally have been years since it has.

These hold up extremely well including the interiors. Mine is creeping up to 200k kms and still looks great.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

It costs about 200 bucks in parts for the belts, tensioner and water pump and an afternoon to change it all diving in blind. The reason I went ahead and did it was because the AC and alternator belts were so glazed as to be losing grip bad enough to not keep the battery charged. The 2.4 2L-TE has a reputation for head gasket failures so I figured I'd to the timing too.

More often than not the cars I get have been sitting a while so I'd at least change the oil asap, it might literally have been years since it has.

These hold up extremely well including the interiors. Mine is creeping up to 200k kms and still looks great.

I don’t know will sell as mileage unknown. People want it bad. I haven’t even washed the shoe polish off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I don’t know will sell as mileage unknown. People want it bad. I haven’t even washed the shoe polish off.

These imports start new when they enter the country.

What I mean by that is the Florida-issued title on the ratty 1993 AZ-1 that I sold said it had 10k kms on it, and that it is the actual mileage. Reason why is the inspector that came out either misread or simple wrote it down wrong, but it was supposed to have 100k kms on it as that's what the odometer (and paperwork from Japan) says. I didn't find out till we were at the DMV getting the titles created (a separate process on a separate day after that inspector inspection) and it couldn't be changed because I'd have to have the inspector out again. I just shrugged and took the title as-is and simply sold it with the correct mileage and the guy is just going to get the title and go "woah" on the mileage it says. It obviously doesn't have that low of mileage on it, but as far as the state governments are concerned it does!

I say this because there is no way for someone to know if your Prado has 124k or 24k on it. Unless it's obvious from some other factor (probably the driver's sit upright and lower portion bolster) or you actually tell them, they won't know. I'd personally just list it as 124k (as that's 77000 miles which is piss-all for mileage on a diesel) because the people that want something like it aren't going to get cold feet over mileage. They are going to see it and want it and buy it, or they aren't. Do the timing belt and water pump, make sure the tires are good and all the HVAC stuff works and you should have no problem selling a sweet diesel LAND CRUISER in brown. If there is no indication when the timing belt was done assume it hasn't been, as was the case on my wife's Jimny. OEM belt from 198-goddamned-9. No sticker, no indication, popped the cover of to discover a hyper-faded Suzuki logo staring back at me from the belt.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 26, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I my no way in defrauding people i put nearly $1500 in my wagon I only hope to sell for $2500. If this Cruiser has over 100 on it which it might very well have then Jesus this thing holds up good. I mean it is mint. Enough people want to buy it though I might not even ever wash it. Now to get rid of the crown.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I my no way in defrauding people i put nearly $1500 in my wagon I only hope to sell for $2500. If this Cruiser has over 100 on it which it might very well have then Jesus this thing holds up good. I mean it is mint. Enough people want to buy it though I might not even ever wash it. Now to get rid of the crown.

You should have the actual mileage on your blue sheet that you got for your Prado.

EDIT

Like this:

The Rugger has NOT moved much.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 26, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tom's Turbo Garage on youtube has a video of him working on fixing the clutch. I haven't finished it yet, but it looks like working on that little thing requires an engine drop. Just imagine the trepidation of working on a 25+ year old car that was never sold in this country. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It depends on parts commonality. An AZ1 would make me kind of nervous because I don't think there are any real family members here, but if it was something like a Chaser or Skyline I wouldn't be as worried about parts.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

Yeah we have the 92 dark blue/purple one up for sale right now and we're waiting on the Rugger and Bongo to be delivered before we have the state send out their inspector to get the other gray Jimny with the sick 90s decals on the side up for sale.

Check out what we all missed tho:

Fukkin' camper Crown

Jesus... Did a company preform the conversion or was this someone's project?

Also are they on the Sarasota are CL? I probably can't afford those cars either but I have a friend that has been looking for a Jimny/Rugger for awhile (and he has more money than I do).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Jesus... Did a company preform the conversion or was this someone's project?

Also are they on the Sarasota are CL? I probably can't afford those cars either but I have a friend that has been looking for a Jimny/Rugger for awhile (and he has more money than I do).

I'd have to assume it's a company that does the conversions, Toyota was cool back then but not that cool.
Just the purple Jimny I have up for sale. I'm assuming I'm going to want to keep the Rugger for a bit if its at all like the 85. Since I've given up on keeping the AZ-1 I need something else to grab onto. The Bongo too might just be too useful, I've never owned a pickup before :v:

BloodBag posted:

Tom's Turbo Garage on youtube has a video of him working on fixing the clutch. I haven't finished it yet, but it looks like working on that little thing requires an engine drop. Just imagine the trepidation of working on a 25+ year old car that was never sold in this country. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it.

Yeah I can see that, though I'd be more worried if you were into something that doesn't have as much of a following. I'd argue you have more people working on solutions for the AZ-1 than you would a Cappuccino or Beat here in North America. Weirdly enough the Cappuccino IS and AZ-1 in all but arrangement of the drive train but doesn't have the dedicated group because it isn't as cool or exclusive as the AZ-1. The AZ-1 is a weird car, but it's still a Suzuki made with bog-standard parts. Having to drop the engine to do things is kinda a standard thing to get at a mid-engine car's guts. I bet the Honda Beat has to drop the engine too for lots of things, might even be harder because they made that a convertible and shoved the top where you'd be able to access the engine from the rear.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

I'd have to assume it's a company that does the conversions, Toyota was cool back then but not that cool.
Just the purple Jimny I have up for sale. I'm assuming I'm going to want to keep the Rugger for a bit if its at all like the 85. Since I've given up on keeping the AZ-1 I need something else to grab onto. The Bongo too might just be too useful, I've never owned a pickup before :v:

I just found your listen and the write up is very good. It is very tempting but I don't need to be spending that kind of money lol. I'll pass it along to my friends that like imports though since we're (sort of) close geographically.

Also I have to ask, do you own any minidiscs for that head unit? Also I love the gauges on the center dash.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but it looks like working on that little thing requires an engine drop. Just imagine the trepidation of working on a 25+ year old car that was never sold in this country. I don't think I'd have the stomach for it.

It could be worse...

Wish I had that sweet lift that recesses into the ground when lowered.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If I'm not talking out the rear end I think the first step in any Audi R service involves "remove engine"

In other news it so cold (i have no idea why this is sideways but f it)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 26, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I just found your listen and the write up is very good. It is very tempting but I don't need to be spending that kind of money lol. I'll pass it along to my friends that like imports though since we're (sort of) close geographically.

Also I have to ask, do you own any minidiscs for that head unit? Also I love the gauges on the center dash.

No Minidiscs, but the headunit itself works, just gently caress-all you can do with a Japanese-radio-specific unit. Those center gauges are stock too, and the clock works. I think the Wild Wind package means you get those. If you are truly interested I can always do a Goon Discount™ so just let me know.

Here is one that's p. interesting:

ENHANCE

:eyepop:

Yoshi posted:

62005- 5mt, ac, one owner, owner's manual, warranty booklet, inspection records (many), interior worn dirty and burn holes, ceiling liner torn, dashboard slightly bent, clear coat scratches, fuel tank dents, mirrors and wheels scratched, other dents scratches paint peeling
I'd like to go for it but it's just not the right time. It isn't a Royal Crown but instead a Super Deluxe, which is either THE or close to the top trim for Crown Wagons in 1989. 5 speed manual, one owner, maintenance records, 45,000 miles. Is a smokers car though as there are burns on the interior. Also fender mirrors!!

I think these Dyna vans are the coolest looking vans Toyota has ever made, super beefy too.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 27, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BloodBag posted:

this is true for most japanese mr cars iirc, lift the body off the rear subframe

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thank god I didn’t see that Surf til just now I’d have bid

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

everdave posted:

Thank god I didn’t see that Surf til just now I’d have bid

Is it a diesel, or is the 3.slow?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LeeMajors posted:

Is it a diesel, or is the 3.slow?

VZN130G so gasoline. If it was KZ130 instead then that's the hot engine you want in your Toyota and a very well-loved power plant. The guys earlier in the thread dogging on the 2.8 diesel and the 2.4 headgasket-exploder engines had nothing but good things to say about the 3.0 KZ turbo diesel.

Because that Surf is gasoline I wasn't interested, but it looks nice and the 'SURF' graphics on the side are pretty good. I'll see if I can get a price on what it sold for.

EDIT

A couple of cool oldies. Might go for the Crown:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 27, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

No Minidiscs, but the headunit itself works, just gently caress-all you can do with a Japanese-radio-specific unit. Those center gauges are stock too, and the clock works. I think the Wild Wind package means you get those. If you are truly interested I can always do a Goon Discount™ so just let me know.

:eyepop:

I'd like to go for it but it's just not the right time. It isn't a Royal Crown but instead a Super Deluxe, which is either THE or close to the top trim for Crown Wagons in 1989. 5 speed manual, one owner, maintenance records, 45,000 miles. Is a smokers car though as there are burns on the interior. Also fender mirrors!!

Ah bummer - you should get some minidiscs off ebay or something. I would love to just see how a minidisc headunit works (I'm young and have never seen one IRL outside of car shows). I am interested in it but it's gonna be a good year or so before I can justify a purchase like that. I really need to save money.

I actually saw a Crown Wagon of a similar vintage on i85 driving through downtown Atlanta the other day. Gave him the thumbs up lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a portable MD player back in the day, what a nightmarish format to record onto.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ah bummer - you should get some minidiscs off ebay or something. I would love to just see how a minidisc headunit works (I'm young and have never seen one IRL outside of car shows). I am interested in it but it's gonna be a good year or so before I can justify a purchase like that. I really need to save money.

I actually saw a Crown Wagon of a similar vintage on i85 driving through downtown Atlanta the other day. Gave him the thumbs up lol

That Crown Wagon sold for $1800 bucks.

And yeah just wait. There is no end to Jimnys and there will be plenty in a year if you still want one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I had a portable MD player back in the day, what a nightmarish format to record onto.

I hate you and wish to unsubscribe

Seriously though it was line in recording. No different than recording on to tape?

Now if you mean transferring files from mp3 to ATRAC then that was a bit of a pain

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ah bummer - you should get some minidiscs off ebay or something. I would love to just see how a minidisc headunit works (I'm young and have never seen one IRL outside of car shows).
Sounds like that'd bea job for Techmoan, he made a good video on Minidisc last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU3BceoMuaA

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B589nZlufyI

Was it anything like this music video?

If you get to the 2:00 point in the video he smashes a minidisc btw

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 27, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I hate you and wish to unsubscribe

Seriously though it was line in recording. No different than recording on to tape?

Now if you mean transferring files from mp3 to ATRAC then that was a bit of a pain

They advertised it as being super easy to transfer music! BULLSHIT!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had one of the first CD recorders, it was a TEAC unit with dual trays, when I made my first mix CD my mind was blown :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had a PC with a burner so I can't remember why I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We had a PC with a burner so I can't remember why I bought it.

MD came out way before CD-R was reasonably affordable