Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Am I stupid if I put my money into backrock ETFs instead of vanguard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Assuming comparable indexes/strategies, probably not.

Vanguard is special in that the funds themselves own the company that manages them, so it removes an incentive to dick with fees/structure in a way that disfavours investors. But it’s entirely possible for BlackRock (or Fidelity or whoever) to run a fund for decades at competitive prices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Methanar posted:

Am I stupid if I put my money into backrock ETFs instead of vanguard?

i guess the question is why you want to

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why does Merrill Edge require your account to be approved? It’s just a brokerage account right? And they don’t seem to do approvals on weekends. Grr.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

smackfu posted:

Why does Merrill Edge require your account to be approved? It’s just a brokerage account right? And they don’t seem to do approvals on weekends. Grr.
Based on my limited experience with them, it's because they're garbage. Why are you not just using Fidelity/Schwab/Vanguard?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only benefit of Merrill Edge is that the money counts toward your Bank of America total. It's decent if you can get to platinum level.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, that plus the signup bonus. This account is at Ameritrade via Scottrade and will probably end up at Vanguard but might as well get something out of it.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Here's my current 401k options as of 10/31 - without really researching too much to emulate a "target retirement date 2050" type of fund I've just split things between the Russel index funds, 35% large 35% medium 30% small, is this a horrible idea? Not too worried about bonds for now based on past advice in this thread but seems like I'm missing international but not sure if i.e. the "Oppenheimer International Growth Fund - Class Y" with a .85 expense ratio would actually be worth the fees for diversification, since I see Vanguard's 2050 offering is like 33% international if I read that right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you also have an IRA, you could buy international stocks and/or bonds in that account, and just stick to the Russel indexes in your 401(k).

Otherwise, I'd probably suck up the .85 to have a moderate international exposure.

e. Oh, another option would be to buy some of an aggressive target date fund, which should include some international. Not sure if the average expense ratio works out by doing that, though, it depends on how much of the target date fund you'd have to buy to get the international exposure percentage you want.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

sadus posted:

I've just split things between the Russel index funds, 35% large 35% medium 30% small, is this a horrible idea?

That is severely overweight on small cap. If you want to replicate the Russell 3000, you should have 8-9% the Russell 2000 and the rest the Russell 1000. Ditch the Mid-Cap fund, it's just the bottom 800 stocks in the Russell 1000.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BMan posted:

That is severely overweight on small cap. If you want to replicate the Russell 3000, you should have 8-9% the Russell 2000 and the rest the Russell 1000. Ditch the Mid-Cap fund, it's just the bottom 800 stocks in the Russell 1000.

Only overweight if you don't tilt market capitalization. This is a contentious but typical "smart beta" tilt.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone know if it's possible to get money automatically transferred each paycheck into a Roth IRA account? I already have a 401k but looking at maxing out an IRA as well.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spb posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to get money automatically transferred each paycheck into a Roth IRA account? I already have a 401k but looking at maxing out an IRA as well.
My wife has this set up on Vanguard. I'm not sure about the other brokerages but I am 900% sure it's possible. You link a bank account to your brokerage and then set up the schedule.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

spb posted:

Open one with Vanguard and they can set up automatic investments.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sorry, I mean direct deposit. Looking around, it seems like it does. For me, this feels like the best way to max out the IRA since there's no pain in saving it. I'm also contributing to my 401k up to the matching. I hope I'm in good shape, I was reading about having your yearly salary saved by the time your 30 and being like um... ;>_>

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spb posted:

Sorry, I mean direct deposit. Looking around, it seems like it does. For me, this feels like the best way to max out the IRA since there's no pain in saving it. I'm also contributing to my 401k up to the matching. I hope I'm in good shape, I was reading about having your yearly salary saved by the time your 30 and being like um... ;>_>
I always found that metric to be kind of bullshit. The important thing is how much money you need in retirement and whether or not your savings rate and your timeline as a function of expected growth results in having that much money. Some people might get a late start, but be able to save beaucoup bucks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2x by 30 is a reasonable benchmark - it doesn't meet everyone's needs but if you're not somewhere close to that number as a real employed person and not say a resident or whatever, you need to take a hard look at your plan for the future

you should not get a late start if you are employed

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
it's me, I am poor at 31 by that metric (but I am not real worried based on current save rate / progress in last year)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2x by 30 is a reasonable benchmark - it doesn't meet everyone's needs but if you're not somewhere close to that number as a real employed person and not say a resident or whatever, you need to take a hard look at your plan for the future

you should not get a late start if you are employed
I didn't get decently paying work until 28 and then get up to market rate until 30. My wife and I are on track to be FI by like 42. Anybody who can get their head wrapped around savings in their 20s is so far ahead of the pack.

My problem with the metric is that it's very easy to be under-employed in your 20s unless you land in a well-paying position/industry right out of college. Failing to do well in your 20s is hardly an indictment on your career/life development.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 29, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I was literally living paycheck to paycheck until I was about 31. Only managed to save .5 gross annual salary by 35. Now hoping for 2x salary by 40, even though the benchmark is 3x. I went from making under $20k in my late 20's, to making $40k in my early 30's, and will be making around $120k in my late 30's, so the whole metric is kind of BS for me anyways.

Its easy to lose motivation if you use those benchmarks, especially if you are a victim of the recession. Sometimes even maxing out all retirement vehicles you just wont make it. And you have to balance retirement saving with the importance of enjoying life. Like Hoodwinker suggests, I use a retirement calculator to find out what I wanna live with at retirement (about $75k in today's money seems comfortable) and plan for that.

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 29, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Speaking of which, anyone knows of a good online calculator that incorporates both 401k, Roth IRA, and maybe HSA?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, 2x by 30 is hard to do in a lot of industries, where your salary at 30 is double what it was at 25.

If anyone can find this long-lost article, I will be eternally grateful, but a few years ago I read something about how most of your actual retirement savings is accumulated by your late 30s. Even though income is higher after 40 and you work more years beyond 40 than before it, people see a SHARP decline, on average, on how much they are able to save each month.

(it's because Kids)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah I feel the whole 2x salary, 3x salary benchmark doesn’t work since salary keeps changing, sometimes drastically.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So my parents/grandparents made a investment account for me with our localish bank and I just now am getting access to it. Right now it's actively managed and is roughly in the 6 figure amount. I honestly just want to turn it into a milquetoast boglehead Varguard mix of bonds and index funds. Is there a concise step-by-step for this sort of thing? I guess the steps would be roughly transfer -> liquidate (with taxes and all that jazz) -> buy the indices/bonds.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

What kind of account? Just taxable brokerage?

Also it’s liquidate —> transfer, but you got it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bollig posted:

So my parents/grandparents made a investment account for me with our localish bank and I just now am getting access to it. Right now it's actively managed and is roughly in the 6 figure amount. I honestly just want to turn it into a milquetoast boglehead Varguard mix of bonds and index funds. Is there a concise step-by-step for this sort of thing? I guess the steps would be roughly transfer -> liquidate (with taxes and all that jazz) -> buy the indices/bonds.

Do you have all the records of funds added and when the bank decided to change investments? Because that would be a cool case study to compare performance vs having just dumped everything into VFINX or VTSAX.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
T Rowe Price (my company's 401k provider) just sent me this email:

They use a 1x @ 35 year goal.

Edit: fixed 30 yr to 35 year

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 29, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

jjack229 posted:

They use a 1x @ 30 year goal.

I've always heard 1x by 30 but that clearly says 1x by 35?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I've always heard 1x by 30 but that clearly says 1x by 35?

Their website also says 35
https://www3.troweprice.com/usis/pe...etirement-.html

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

12x by 65 lmao

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Adding 2x a every 5 years after 40, is your income declining?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i really wonder what we're going to do as a country when everyone in my age cohort hits 70 with 10K saved lifetime

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

crazypeltast52 posted:

Adding 2x a every 5 years after 40, is your income declining?

I'm guessing the idea is that expenses are, ideally? House closer to paid off and kids a little more grown?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It seems like that type of growth into your late 50s and 60s isn’t realistic since you’re probably going to be shifting out of so much equity exposure right?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mad Wack posted:

i really wonder what we're going to do as a country when everyone in my age cohort hits 70 with 10K saved lifetime

I'm not sure you even need to wait that long (assuming you're under 50). Isn't this already a looming problem with the Boomers?

I'd like think people suddenly start caring about real social safety nets. But this is the same group who raged against their own healthcare because Fox News told them to, so I'm not hopeful.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Murgos posted:

Do you have all the records of funds added and when the bank decided to change investments? Because that would be a cool case study to compare performance vs having just dumped everything into VFINX or VTSAX.

For sure, however it has changed hands a number of times and I think their strategy has changed a bunch. Further complicating it is that it was drawn into a handful of times.

DNK posted:

What kind of account? Just taxable brokerage?

Also it’s liquidate —> transfer, but you got it.

Okay thanks.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

jjack229 posted:

They use a 1x @ 30 year goal.

Great, so I'm only like 10 years behind. :downsgun:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All these calculations are rear end backwards. Get yourself a financial calculator and figure it out the easier way, with a tangible goal at the end rather than an abstract "are you on track for Enough"

Figure out how much money you want at retirement (the Future Value)
Figure out how many years until you want to retire (the Term)
Figure out a reasonable estimate of inflation adjusted return (the Rate, just use like 5% probably)
Figure out how much you have saved already (the Present Value)

Solve for The Payment (how much you should save per year to meet your actual goals)

You can do this in Excel right now in seconds. =pmt(

And it'll walk you through the rest.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard has a good calculator that does essentially all of that (except maybe adjust for inflation?)

https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VGApp/pe/pubeducation/calculators/RetirementIncomeCalc.jsf

Holy lol am I behind on this poo poo, I'm never ever having kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Vanguard has a good calculator that does essentially all of that (except maybe adjust for inflation?)

https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VGApp/pe/pubeducation/calculators/RetirementIncomeCalc.jsf

Holy lol am I behind on this poo poo, I'm never ever having kids.

I intensely dislike how *every* retirement calculator ignores social security by default. It feels like a conspiracy to further delegitimize it and normalize the idea that it will be taken away.