Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Don't you dang disparage Kairi Sane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

Don't you dang disparage Kairi Sane!

Who said I was disparaging Kairi? I'm saying Becky should point out that Shayna couldn't beat someone who cosplays as a pirate. Bonus points if she points out that Shayna's win over Kairi at Takeover: War Games was tainted (on top of the interference), since Kairi had her shoulder up on the final pin, but the ref didn't notice it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

None of that should be said on twitter at all!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Japanese women being inferior to superior white people would be consistent with Becky choosing Charlotte over Asuka.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she’s a real pirate.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/1066839410413633536
God I hate the hard work culture that is instilled in this country despite all historical evidence showing that working harder means nothing to bosses.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
That's subtweet from wrestlers inordinately dogpiling Aria Blake (a low-level indie worker) for a now-deleted tweet about her partner Hunter Law:

https://twitter.com/Lauderdale11/status/1066835562362019840

While fans around them made fun of all the wrestlers talking about dues paying and chest beating about working for essentially free:

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1066839169933221888

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1066842013335736326

https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1066842015579734016

Also, the economics of indie Wrestling is broken and stuff too.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1066807310683684864

https://twitter.com/MustafaAliWWE/status/1066820674956783616

https://twitter.com/MustafaAliWWE/status/1066894605050765314

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

God I hate the hard work culture that is instilled in this country despite all historical evidence showing that working harder means nothing to bosses.

Those drives earned fans that convinced WWE to give him a win in the main event of Wrestlemania over an entitled, never struggled for anything in his life, leukemia survivor. Sounds like Rollins is right.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Satan is cool.

https://twitter.com/WWEAleister/status/1066864446788780032

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Hope WWE doesn't punish him for saying Nazis are bad.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
what happened to 'no man is ever truly evil'

:thunk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nazis don't count. Nazis can gently caress off and die.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

achillesforever6 posted:

the marks ain't in the stands anymore, brother

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Setting aside how the Aria Blake/Hunter Law pile on started (she phrased it oddly but some folks definitely jumped on WAY too harshly in the pile-up)...

I don't really see why so many people are so up in arms over the larger paying dues romanticization as if that's what's keeping indie wrestler wages down and not the larger economics of indie wrestling for the most part? "Wrestlers being paid better would be good" and "based on the scale of indie wrestling you do have to do things to pay your dues for various reasons" are not mutually exclusive points of view. Obviously any promotion that can afford it should pay more when they can—especially since there are some prominent ones that insist on paying wrestlers below their usual rate "for exposure"—but it's not like there's close to as much wiggle room as a ton of people were acting like there was today.

Hell, a lot of the examples that wrestlers were giving weren't even about working matches and taking bumps! They were about driving just to show your face, volunteering to help out on a ring crew, etc, plus the experience that can be gained in a more general sense, not just in-ring, like getting to spend a long car ride with a vet who could teach them for hours.

I get where people were coming from, don't get me wrong, and obviously there's some stuff that's hard to glean from the story that opened the can of worms without knowing what promotion it involved, but it's not as if there are plenty of scenarios where $40 would be fair. Not in the putting your body on the line sense, of course, but in the "how could the show be realistically budgeted" sense.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 26, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

Nazis don't count. Nazis can gently caress off and die.
:hai:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MotU posted:

what happened to 'no man is ever truly evil'

:thunk:

Nazi ain't got no humanity.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

Setting aside how the Aria Blake/Hunter Law pile on started (she phrased it oddly but some folks definitely jumped on WAY too harshly in the pile-up)...

I don't really see why so many people are so up in arms over the larger paying dues romanticization as if that's what's keeping indie wrestler wages down and not the larger economics of indie wrestling for the most part? "Wrestlers being paid better would be good" and "based on the scale of indie wrestling you do have to do things to pay your dues for various reasons" are not mutually exclusive points of view. Obviously any promotion that can afford it should pay more when they can—especially since there are some prominent ones that insist on paying wrestlers below their usual rate "for exposure"—but it's not like there's close to as much wiggle room as a ton of people were acting like there was today.

Hell, a lot of the examples that wrestlers were giving weren't even about working matches and taking bumps! They were about driving just to show your face, volunteering to help out on a ring crew, etc, plus the experience that can be gained in a more general sense, not just in-ring, like getting to spend a long car ride with a vet who could teach them for hours.

I get where people were coming from, don't get me wrong, and obviously there's some stuff that's hard to glean from the story that opened the can of worms without knowing what promotion it involved, but it's not as if there are plenty of scenarios where $40 would be fair. Not in the putting your body on the line sense, of course, but in the "how could the show be realistically budgeted" sense.

I think it's because there is a really thin line between "paying your dues" and "Let someone take advantage of you because that person allowed themselves to be taken advantage of when they were in your shoes". The bigger problem of most local indies being unable to survive unless they pay people like poo poo isn't something the wrestling community can really solve on its own, it will always be tough to survive as a niche artist under capitalism. But they can at least stop romanticising a bad system and stop acting like "paying your dues" is anything but a harsh reality of economics. The other problem with romanticising paying your dues is that it ignores that luck is a big part of being successful. Like, Seth worked really hard. I'd never take that away from him. But claiming that people like him get where they are by just hard work and paying their dues ignores the fact that he got lucky that he never got hurt, ill, or just put into a financial situation that he couldn't handle by working a day job and his 20$ bookings. It makes it sound like people without that luck just didn't work hard enough, they didn't pay their dues.

This also feels like a place where wrestling is a step behind a lot of similar industries. Artists and writers are pushing back on the predatory "work for exposure" attempts. A lot of industries in general are pushing back on unpaid internships as being free grunt work instead of a learning opportunity.

I also agree that financially there is only so much a local indie can pay talent and that you'll probably end up having to work under what you should be valued if you want to make it in the business, but if anyone is defending it with anything beyond a shrug and a "That's capitalism" then they're not helping and they're romanticising a problem.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 26, 2018

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The idiots need to unionize. Simple as that

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/hulkhogan/status/888766843904827392?lang=en

A classic

I can't believe this isn't deleted

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1066944306643169280

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

"Use the yard like ur dogs"

where the gently caress is the Pisscast?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, now I can't stop thinking about Hogan eating his own poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WWERoadDogg/status/1066786682765234177

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I can see why he's upset at himself - that isn't an apron spot, a shoulder to the post or a dive to the outside

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think it's because there is a really thin line between "paying your dues" and "Let someone take advantage of you because that person allowed themselves to be taken advantage of when they were in your shoes". The bigger problem of most local indies being unable to survive unless they pay people like poo poo isn't something the wrestling community can really solve on its own, it will always be tough to survive as a niche artist under capitalism. But they can at least stop romanticising a bad system and stop acting like "paying your dues" is anything but a harsh reality of economics. The other problem with romanticising paying your dues is that it ignores that luck is a big part of being successful. Like, Seth worked really hard. I'd never take that away from him. But claiming that people like him get where they are by just hard work and paying their dues ignores the fact that he got lucky that he never got hurt, ill, or just put into a financial situation that he couldn't handle by working a day job and his 20$ bookings. It makes it sound like people without that luck just didn't work hard enough, they didn't pay their dues.

This also feels like a place where wrestling is a step behind a lot of similar industries. Artists and writers are pushing back on the predatory "work for exposure" attempts. A lot of industries in general are pushing back on unpaid internships as being free grunt work instead of a learning opportunity.

I also agree that financially there is only so much a local indie can pay talent and that you'll probably end up having to work under what you should be valued if you want to make it in the business, but if anyone is defending it with anything beyond a shrug and a "That's capitalism" then they're not helping and they're romanticising a problem.
Agree 100% with all of this.

Something that contributes is that the same people who are going to be paying you hundreds if you break out as an indie star is the same promoter who might have been paying you $40 months earlier. You're working your way up to a bigger piece of the pie based on your perceived value, not a better spot elsewhere unless you get one of a finite number of good money contract gigs. To make a writing comparison: Someone might make the mistake of writing for FanSided thinking they can parlay it into real money somewhere else, and they'd most likely be wrong. But, advancing in indie wrestling, if you're good enough and make the right hookup, you can raise your stock overnight and make more money from the same people. It's not the same kind of "for exposure" bullshit as a result.

I'm not really sure what the solution is. Less wrestlers on cards—and a lot really are too bloated anyway—would hurt a lot of guys but also make the pie tidier for those who remain.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ICHIBAHN posted:

On the indie level? How exactly, both functionally and legally, do you expect that to happen with legit independent contractors as opposed to the WWE misclassified variety?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davidbix posted:

On the indie level? How exactly, both functionally and legally, do you expect that to happen with legit independent contractors as opposed to the WWE misclassified variety?
Independent contractors can unionize.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

It’s a really bad environment politically for unions in general at the moment let alone for a new one to pop up especially in pro wrestling. If it was going to happen it would have had to be in the 80s or 90s

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesop Poprock posted:

It’s a really bad environment politically for unions in general at the moment let alone for a new one to pop up especially in pro wrestling. If it was going to happen it would have had to be in the 80s or 90s

Among the many many ways Hogan has hosed over other wrestlers this has to be the worst.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wrestlers are very strong and instead of unionizing they should kick off the revolution by German release suplexing Jeff Bezos and other capitalists.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

davidbix posted:

The same way plumbers unionise?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SAG would probably be the closest thing to what a wrestler union would look like. Though SAG obviously has a lot more money coming in, unless WWE wrestlers joined this wrestling union, that allows it to help support people who are getting work in the industry but are not at a level where they can survive on it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

There aren't any unions where over 50% of the members make 5 dollars. I've cleaned this post up after initially posting it in a casual way that might come across as disrespectful. I said multiple words in a wrong way during it. One of the words was called ain't, which is not traditionally a word but actually is one now. It's not how i was taught though

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 26, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

I also hate all these stories wrestlers have about how broke they were but somehow had the money to live, pay rent, pay bills, have gas and hotel money for bookings, all for 20 bucks a shot once a week.

Like, you literally can't do that without having a decent amount of money already.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

davidbix posted:

very carefully

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Post-WWE UK talent pulling news
https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1067131560590233600

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the company man publicly tampering

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1067143300203843594

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gumball Gumption posted:

SAG would probably be the closest thing to what a wrestler union would look like. Though SAG obviously has a lot more money coming in, unless WWE wrestlers joined this wrestling union, that allows it to help support people who are getting work in the industry but are not at a level where they can survive on it.
Or get a bunch of wobblies into the idea of becoming wrestlers and salting the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This hurts me so much to say but, gently caress off Ricochet.