Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

How would it ruin it? Give the player pokedex and make them learn the habits and lifecycles of the Pokemon before hunting them down for a shot. I'd rather that than "handcrafted" lanes I have to repeatedly go down. And Nintendo open worlds are made for interaction so it'd be great cause you could find food to make mons slow down or appear or whatever for better shots.

Why do i want the lovely game i just made up?

Because Pokemon Snap is a cool puzzle rail shooter with a ton of secrets and events. That is what made it good.

Why would I want a sequel to not resemble that at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Super interested in seeing how my fellow "BoTW was my first Zelda" types react to Skyward Sword or TP

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Pokemon Snap, but with a gun.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Andrast posted:

Because Pokemon Snap is a cool puzzle rail shooter with a ton of secrets and events. That is what made it good.

Why would I want a sequel to not resemble that at all?

It wouldn't change it much. You'd just have to go to a certain biome that could be just as good.

Also jsr to jsrf happened, so expecting the same game generations later isnt gonna go the way you want.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TheScott2K posted:

Super interested in seeing how my fellow "BoTW was my first Zelda" types react to Skyward Sword or TP

They're gonna be like "yo why am I playing a GC/ps2 era game in 2018? I'm loving dumb with my free time"

Ok maybe not but botw is such a breath (heh) of fresh air

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dizz posted:

Pokemon Snap, but with a gun.

Pokemon Gat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

It wouldn't change it much. You'd just have to go to a certain biome that could be just as good.

Also jsr to jsrf happened, so expecting the same game generations later isnt gonna go the way you want.

It would make it a completely different game.

It's like Nintendo made one good open world game and suddenly all their games need to be open world.

Also:

Augus posted:

because it’s in your imagination free from the constraints of reality that would turn this into really boring bullshit

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Licarn posted:

With or without weapon durability?

whatever i just wanna murder some pokemon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pokemon Snap is something that wouldn't do well as a new game.

It'd do far better as just being part of a full-blown Pokemon game, snapping photos of wild pokemon as you travel. (Hell, Sun/Moon has something pretty close to this already with the photo spots)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pokemon Snap is something that wouldn't do well as a new game.

It'd do far better as just being part of a full-blown Pokemon game, snapping photos of wild pokemon as you travel. (Hell, Sun/Moon has something pretty close to this already with the photo spots)

The sun/moon photo spots were pretty lame

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pokemon Snap was trash but it was lovingly crafted inventive trash.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
They could do a regular Pokemon game like Let's Go, with 3d environments and wild Pokemon visible instead of random battles. But with a BotW camera instead of the above view, and the Pokemon could interact with each other in the wild. So you could still come across one of those secret Pokemon events, and take a picture of it or run in and battle them or just leave them alone

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah if they do another snap, they need to go botw and make it an open world you can gently caress around in.

Hell yeah your camera will break after 3 pictures so you have to make sure to have several cameras on you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

They could do a regular Pokemon game like Let's Go, with 3d environments and wild Pokemon visible instead of random battles. But with a BotW camera instead of the above view, and the Pokemon could interact with each other in the wild. So you could still come across one of those secret Pokemon events, and take a picture of it or run in and battle them or just leave them alone

and the result would most likely be a game that is worse at being a regular pokemon than regular pokemon game and a worse Snap than Snap

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to go to a Pokemon snap zone, smuggle in pokeballs and start catching, and get a five star wanted level

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I have the new Not-Gamecube Controller from Power A. Haven't used it extensively, but it's a comfortable kinda-GC controller that comes with most of the perks of the Pro-Controller

The FAQs:
+ Click-sticks like the Pro
+ Better D-Pad
- Analog triggers don't work (despite retaining the soft press and click at the end)
- No HD Rumble

Plastic feels different, but it's not offensive or anything. Buttons have a nice click. And you might prefer the layout for some games—feels nice when playing Starlink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BascYExDynw

This video pretty much sums up my feelings on the controller entirely. It's a Pro, in Gamecube Controller husk

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Macaluso posted:

Hell yeah your camera will break after 3 pictures so you have to make sure to have several cameras on you

You could start with disposable cameras and then eventually get a higher quality camera that doesn't break, but still requires rolls of film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Andrast posted:

and the result would most likely be a game that is worse at being a regular pokemon than regular pokemon game and a worse Snap than Snap

Are you in general opposed to switching from the standard Pokemon overhead camera to behind the character like in Zelda or Xenoblade?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really wish that a lot of excellent-but-unavailable games that hit XBLA back in the day were being re-released for the Switch. Ms Splosion Man reminded me of the following, which, as far as I know, you can't play anymore outside of XBLA (and maybe PSN, I don't know, didn't have a PS3):

Kingdom/World of Keflings
Raskulls
Ilo and Milo
Scott Pilgrim
Trials HD (though there are sequels, and the Switch needs one)
Age of Booty

Anyone else have any favourites from that era that you'd like to see on Switch?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish that a lot of excellent-but-unavailable games that hit XBLA back in the day were being re-released for the Switch. Ms Splosion Man reminded me of the following, which, as far as I know, you can't play anymore outside of XBLA (and maybe PSN, I don't know, didn't have a PS3):

Kingdom/World of Keflings
Raskulls
Ilo and Milo
Scott Pilgrim
Trials HD (though there are sequels, and the Switch needs one)
Age of Booty

Anyone else have any favourites from that era that you'd like to see on Switch?

Motherfucking Puzzle Fighter HD

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

a7m2 posted:

Which is better: Hyrule Warriors or FE Warriors? Assuming I like FE and Zelda equally as themes.

Hyrule Warriors

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Are you in general opposed to switching from the standard Pokemon overhead camera to behind the character like in Zelda or Xenoblade?

I don't think it would benefit the franchise at all and would be a ton of work for no gain but might not be necessarily bad. My issue is more that trying to fit a normal pokemon game and Snap into the same game is a fool's errand that will most likely leave both parts mediocre (or just leave the Snap portion totally perfunctory like the photo spots in Sun/Moon).

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Chill Penguin posted:

You could start with disposable cameras and then eventually get a higher quality camera that doesn't break, but still requires rolls of film.

I would play this. Imagine the joycon waggle motion to shake the polaroid so you can see if you got the picture.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a7m2 posted:

Which is better: Hyrule Warriors or FE Warriors? Assuming I like FE and Zelda equally as themes.

FE Warriors for mechanics, HW for content quantity

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd love a future Pokemon Snap to not calculate your score based on getting the subject in the center of the photo. That's a day 1 rule of photography there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd love a future Pokemon Snap to not calculate your score based on getting the subject in the center of the photo. That's a day 1 rule of photography there.

In those games aren't you not doing it for artistic reasons but for data and research reasons in which case you should want it in the center?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Honestly a pokesnap game on phones is probably the most relevant the series will get. There has to be a turn the phone horizontal mini game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece but for the love of god not every single video game ever made needs to be open world. BotW works in large part because it is at its core a modern reinterpretation of the open world gameplay that was present in the NES Zelda. You can’t just make random games open world without any thought as to if it’s actually a good fit for the gameplay style, that’s how we get stuff like Dynasty Warriors 9.

Besides, Gamefreak isn’t gonna make a photography spin-off that is more expensive and larger in scope than their actual main Pokémon releases. That would be stupid.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"Maybe you can't just make random games open world without any thought as to if it's actually a good fit to the gameplay style" -AAA developers for oh, the last ten years or so as they swim in barrels of cold hard cash

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

KingSlime posted:

"Maybe you can't just make random games open world without any thought as to if it's actually a good fit to the gameplay style" -AAA developers for oh, the last ten years or so as they swim in barrels of cold hard cash

doesn't make the game good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Nintendo should also add lootboxes to every game since that makes even more barrels of cold hard cash

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Nintendo should also add lootboxes to every game since that makes even more barrels of cold hard cash

They have those in their mobile offerings, yeah. They're raking it in, people absolutely cannot help themselves and who doesn't love cold hard cash??

I'm hoping it never bleeds over to the console offerings but never say never etc

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I actually do think 'open world' would be a nice thing to try for a pokemon rpg. There are 808 pokemon now, theres no excuse for a lack of content to fill that open world with.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I actually do think 'open world' would be a nice thing to try for a pokemon rpg. There are 808 pokemon now, theres no excuse for a lack of content to fill that open world with.

I mean people here are rightfully down on the tired open world formula, but like that's still leagues above the tired Pokemon formula that has been carbon copied since the game boy days so really what's the harm?

Not as if game freak would actually do anything about anything, people are going to be paying for the exact same Pokemon experience for years to come. Game freak loves cold hard cash too, and changing things up costs money

"But you can see your Pokemon walking around in the field now!"

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Whelp. The portability of the switch bit me in the rear end. It fell outta my bag at a bar while having some post-work drinks last night. Fortunately someone gave it to the the bartender and it's safely stashed away for me to retrieve it this afternoon. Was pretty alarming to not have it there when I got home. Guess I managed to accrue some karma points somewhere at least.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I mean people here are rightfully down on the tired open world formula, but like that's still leagues above the tired Pokemon formula that has been carbon copied since the game boy days so really what's the harm?

Yeah and that's fair. One of my primary complaints with BOTW was the dreadful enemy variety and hypothetically that shouldn't be a problem with an open world pokemon rpg. At least it isn't for the perfect one that exists in my imagination

edit: Nintendo credited me for the gift card I accidentally scraped the numbers off of :toot:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pokemon Crossing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bushisms.txt posted:

JSRF is the better game, with the better music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So that Walmart Cyber Monday Switch deal that sold out instantly after appearing for a fraction of a second at 12:02 and 12:04am? A ton of the orders are getting cancelled as unfulfillable.

Walmart Canada is claiming they have no copies of either The Nintendo Switch (both in grey or neon), Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee, or $50 eShop gift cards.

What a shitshow.