Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jabor posted:

Suppose it's a three player game, and early in it's looking pretty equal. I have the opportunity to screw over exactly one of my opponents in order to benefit my position.

Should I:
- Screw over the stronger player, because setting them back is more likely to lead to me winning
- Screw over the weaker player, because they're less likely to be able to effectively retaliate
- Screw over Chris, because he screwed me over last time we played
- Decide randomly, because anything else would be unacceptable metagaming
- Forgo the opportunity, because even if I pick randomly, whoever I end up picking will think that I was metagaming and be upset about it for the rest of the night

You have about a minute to make your decision before the other players start getting annoyed at how long your turn is taking.

In my group we're very often fairly open about our strategies (within reason of course - we strive not to entirely compromise our position when we do so) and it has happened on multiple occasions, for example in Inis, that someone would think out loud while deciding between the first two things you mention. And neither of the two other people would feel unfairly targetted, because those two are both things a reasonable person might see as "the best course of action to maximise my chances of winning".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not clear which action is more beneficial in the abstract. Picking the strongest player would purely be because I expect the weaker player to make errors later in the game to give me an edge.

But if I choose to screw over Chris (the stronger player) every time this comes up, he's probably going to think it's revenge for all the time he's screwed me over, and not be reassured too much by me just stating that it's my best possible action.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Jabor posted:

Suppose it's a three player game, and early in it's looking pretty equal. I have the opportunity to screw over exactly one of my opponents in order to benefit my position.

Should I:
- Screw over the stronger player, because setting them back is more likely to lead to me winning
- Screw over the weaker player, because they're less likely to be able to effectively retaliate
- Screw over Chris, because he screwed me over last time we played
- Decide randomly, because anything else would be unacceptable metagaming
- Forgo the opportunity, because even if I pick randomly, whoever I end up picking will think that I was metagaming and be upset about it for the rest of the night

You have about a minute to make your decision before the other players start getting annoyed at how long your turn is taking.

Is Chris going to (whine/ scream / moan) about metagaming/kingmaking and divorce you as a opponent if you choose them? Cause if so Chris definitely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As a follow-up: if someone gets really whiny about "metagaming" when they get targeted, is it valid to avoid targeting them when all other things are equal for the sake of keeping the peace? Or is that in itself unacceptable metagaming? And where does "grumbling about metagaming when you get attacked" fit on the acceptability scale?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jabor posted:

As a follow-up: if someone gets really whiny about "metagaming" when they get targeted, is it valid to avoid targeting them when all other things are equal for the sake of keeping the peace? Or is that in itself unacceptable metagaming? And where does "grumbling about metagaming when you get attacked" fit on the acceptability scale?

If someone gets whiny about getting targeted, we tell them to grow the gently caress up and/or stop playing with them.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Alternatively it's a "social meta" thing. My board game group is pretty close and friendly, and everyone knows well that I like complaining and knows well that no I don't actually feel offended/personally attacked when I'm complaining, I'm just doing it because it amuses me (and it sometimes amuses them too).

(by "social meta" I mean, not "game meta", because the actual game/game-state is mostly irrelevant. I will gladly complain when it's the other person's best move to attack me and they know that I know it's the best move and we're all good)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dancer posted:

Alternatively it's a "social meta" thing. My board game group is pretty close and friendly, and everyone knows well that I like complaining and knows well that no I don't actually feel offended/personally attacked when I'm complaining, I'm just doing it because it amuses me (and it sometimes amuses them too).

(by "social meta" I mean, not "game meta", because the actual game/game-state is mostly irrelevant. I will gladly complain when it's the other person's best move to attack me and they know that I know it's the best move and we're all good)

I describe this as "strategic whining," a move I consider valid but is only acceptable when everyone at the table are friends. I will cry, threaten, and stare daggers but everyone accepts it's part of the game and no grudge leaves the table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I knew a guy that whined anytime someone made a move that affected him negatively. He no longer gets invited to games.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Is it out yet? Still on preorder for me at MM.

Oh, looks like you're right. I've seen a handful of reviews and videos and I assumed it was available.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I knew a guy that whined anytime someone made a move that affected him negatively. He no longer gets invited to games.

This is sort of the thing. For every "dirty kingmaker / meta-wrecker" there's a porcupine.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm interested in picking up Spirit Island but was wondering how it plays at 2, and would you consider it accessible for someone who hasn't played a lot of board games? I'll have some occasions to play it at higher counts, but am hoping that it's something my non-board game enthusiast wife and I can get some mileage out of.

I've read the rulebook and while there's a lot there, it doesn't seem that difficult to explain, and most importantly the mechanics seem to make thematic sense. Would love to hear thoughts from people who've actually played it, though.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 26, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

2 is probably the best player count for balance and player experience. I’ve had success with people that have only played Catan/Pandemic and I ran most of the upkeep stuff and all the had to worry about was their own cards and powers. Worked just fine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just finished Charterstone, after a break due to life.

I won with 916, my wife was in the 880's, then 7 something, then 6 something. I had a string of early to midgame victories and kinda couldn't be stopped, I had a great last game with buildings and stuff, my wife had a great last game with a ridiculous combo involving some big money. I think everyone had a pretty good time overall. We're all happy to be done, though, campaign games can feel like it's the only thing available. We can play other stuff with that couple now!

...they're not very *good* at charterstone, nor at a lot of strategic games, really, but they're good sports.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

al-azad posted:

I describe this as "strategic whining," a move I consider valid but is only acceptable when everyone at the table are friends. I will cry, threaten, and stare daggers but everyone accepts it's part of the game and no grudge leaves the table.

This is a powerful technique which I also practice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If diplomacy is a trash mechanic, is Chinatown the worst game or the best game?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

my multiplayer strategy is to be an rear end in a top hat

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Looking for something Big and Dumb to do an all-day game of over the Xmas/New Years break with my buddies while they're in town. In the past we've done Rune Wars, Pax Britannica a bunch of times, Republic of Rome, Eclipse, etc etc. Ideally 6+ players and 3-6 hrs.

I'm going to see if I can borrow TI4 off someone, Sidereal Confluence also looks interesting playing 9 but it looks like it might not take all day?

Anything else reasonably available and new that suits that kind of goal?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CommonShore posted:

Depends if you play it with binding deals like sidereal confluence :getin:

but for reals, even with pure trading games, binding deals allow for loans and futures markets that nonbinding deals don't really allow

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The only meta-gaming that I'm truly sick of is "this person owns the game, therefore it makes sense to dogpile them." Worse yet is no one else buys games.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
What other good games are there with binding deals? The only one I know of is Sidereal Confluence, and I guess the pact cards in Through the Ages.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eclipse punishes you a bit for breaking deals. Struggle of Empires goes really far and defines alliances for a round and you simply cannot attack your allies as much as you may want to.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really ought to try struggle of empires

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

What other good games are there with binding deals? The only one I know of is Sidereal Confluence, and I guess the pact cards in Through the Ages.

Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, Die Macher, John Company from what I've played. These are on a spectrum, since JC/SC are more like negative repercussions, DM is more a guarantee they can't run against you in a race of a specific region with the tradeoff meaning someone gets to piggyback votes, and full-blown treaties with HIS/VQ. Some 18xx games like 18CZ specifically say that deals may be binding or non-binding on mutual player agreement.

Here I Stand/ VQ may be considered a good game or a lame experience generator (or both!) based on your thoughts on wrestling control from random chance in a long, historical game.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Dune (reskinned as Rex from FFG) has explicit alliances. Each player can use their partner’s unique faction ability, and their forces behave differently with each other than with enemies. Alliances can only be formed/broken during very specific phases in the game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I think negotiations tend to play better in games where there is an exchange of some sort of commodity, especially ones in which there can be a clear benefit for both players when a deal is made, even if that benefit is not equal, and especially if those benefits are only partially quantifiable. For instance, in Bohnanza, a deal can be made where both players clearly profit from it, to the point where it can be useful to give your own cards away to prevent an upcoming bean from ruining your fields through forced planting. Who winds up getting more value from the exchange is usually roughly quantifiable at the time it is made (especially if both players are able to harvest after the trade) but can also be quite fuzzy due to the inherent randomness of a card game with random draws.

In games where deals primarily revolve around negotiating aggressive actions against other players I think it tends to be a bad mechanism because you're usually just trying to figure out who to gang up on. I guess what I'm saying is that as you approach a pure chip-taking game the viability of negotiation as an enjoyable mechanism diminishes until you reach the point that the whole game is just an exercise in who to eliminate from contention first.

Bohnanza does in the sense that all trades take place immediately and future considerations are not a thing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Twilight Imperium 4th edition has promissory notes that can be traded during deals. It can be as simple as "an extra point as long as you don't attack me" or "forced retreat if you attack me", to a special one for each race.

They can be traded along to other players too, without your knowledge, which opens up diplomacy to a bit more risk though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xiw posted:

Looking for something Big and Dumb to do an all-day game of over the Xmas/New Years break with my buddies while they're in town. In the past we've done Rune Wars, Pax Britannica a bunch of times, Republic of Rome, Eclipse, etc etc. Ideally 6+ players and 3-6 hrs.

I'm going to see if I can borrow TI4 off someone, Sidereal Confluence also looks interesting playing 9 but it looks like it might not take all day?

:unsmigghh:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

xiw posted:

Sidereal Confluence is fine as long as you use a timer for the negotiation phase. If people are just learning it, set aside 15 minutes for the first turn's negotiation, then stick to 10 for the rest. That's plenty of time and it keeps the game to 2-2.5 hours.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

xiw posted:

Mega civilization

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

xiw posted:

obligatory Campaign for North Africa

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Having not been aware of this at all previously this actually looks exactly like what I've been looking for.

Anyone have any experiences of it as I'd rather not get a second mortgage if it's not rad as all hell. Or anything they'd recommend with a similar theme?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just got Venus Next and only just now became aware of the printing error on the North American cards that makes them smaller than the base game's cards. Unfortunate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jihad Joe posted:

Having not been aware of this at all previously this actually looks exactly like what I've been looking for.

Anyone have any experiences of it as I'd rather not get a second mortgage if it's not rad as all hell. Or anything they'd recommend with a similar theme?

Oh sweet Jesus, I wasn't expecting anyone to take me seriously.

Medioevo Universale is a Risk-meets-Civ heartbreaker that got Kickstarted a while back. I honestly never thought it would be produced. But it has been, and I took photos as proof or nobody would believe me. Initial reviews are positive, but then they would be because they're from backers. They also say that the game takes about 90 minutes to teach - it's apparently quite simple mechanically, but there are so many things going on - and that a medium length game will take between 5 and 7 hours. If you want the MU experience at lower cost, get Crusader Kings: the Board Game when it comes out.

On the other hand, you could just say "gently caress it" because even if it isn't a perfect experience nobody is going to forget it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

wizzardstaff posted:

Dune (reskinned as Rex from FFG) has explicit alliances. Each player can use their partner’s unique faction ability, and their forces behave differently with each other than with enemies. Alliances can only be formed/broken during very specific phases in the game.

Are there any games out there (I don't know, maybe Dune is one), where you can permanently ally with another player and potentially share victory between you? Would it be a valid catch-up mechanism for a game like Eclipse to allow two players to form an alliance where their scores are averaged between them at the end for the team's score?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Jedit posted:

Oh sweet Jesus, I wasn't expecting anyone to take me seriously.

Medioevo Universale is a Risk-meets-Civ heartbreaker that got Kickstarted a while back. I honestly never thought it would be produced. But it has been, and I took photos as proof or nobody would believe me. Initial reviews are positive, but then they would be because they're from backers. They also say that the game takes about 90 minutes to teach - it's apparently quite simple mechanically, but there are so many things going on - and that a medium length game will take between 5 and 7 hours. If you want the MU experience at lower cost, get Crusader Kings: the Board Game when it comes out.

On the other hand, you could just say "gently caress it" because even if it isn't a perfect experience nobody is going to forget it.

Yeah I read between the lines but this pretty much sounds like my perfect game so was hoping it wasn't the Star Citizen of board games or something.

I'm disinclined to buy into the rabid fanboyism of BGG or backers so I guess I'll wait for some reputable reviews. Our group will happily break out Twilight Imperium at the drop of a hat if we can possibly get together so none of the above should be an issue.

Cheers for the heads up on CK I'll take a look.

Ballbot5000 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 26, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh are the Kemet expansion(s?) any good? Tell me about it/them(?), please.

(Played Kemet 3x now - it gets better every time, and it's more fun when everyone at the table has played at least once. We're hoping to get a 5p game of it soon, because 3p is good, but we figure that there'd be more chaos and conflict with 5 because the ability tiles will spread out more).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Max posted:

Just got Venus Next. Unfortunate.

:v:

Anyone have any opinions on The Rose King? Looks like a nice simple abstract in the vein of Tash and it's dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Thames-Kosmo...694228074&psc=1

CommonShore posted:

Oh are the Kemet expansion(s?) any good? Tell me about it/them(?), please.

(Played Kemet 3x now - it gets better every time, and it's more fun when everyone at the table has played at least once. We're hoping to get a 5p game of it soon, because 3p is good, but we figure that there'd be more chaos and conflict with 5 because the ability tiles will spread out more).

Ta-Seti has a few modules; the black tiles which are great, the new game end rules which are great, and the priest path, which is garbage. Seth turns the game into a 1 v All and looks really interesting but I haven't heard much about balance or anything yet.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Aston posted:

Are there any games out there (I don't know, maybe Dune is one), where you can permanently ally with another player and potentially share victory between you? Would it be a valid catch-up mechanism for a game like Eclipse to allow two players to form an alliance where their scores are averaged between them at the end for the team's score?

Dune is one. It doesn't have a score; victory is achieved by controlling a certain number of territories at the end of a turn. If an allied set of players controls enough, they win together and it's just as real a victory as any other. (Unless the Bene Gesserit do their mind tricks. But special rules and individual faction victory conditions are an irrelevant tangent here.)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tekopo posted:

Alright I'm gonna make a small post on the games I played on my bi-yearly boardgaming weekend. Was pretty good weekend even though I got con flu and couldn't sleep.

Decrypto: I think I cemented this game as superior to base Codenames in my eyes. The reasons for this are multiple: first of all, everyone is able to play all the roles in a single turn which doesn't put the onus on the spymaster to make up clues all the time. As well as that, it's far easier to come up with clues because you don't really need to create links between several words that potentially might not actually have any link between them. Since you are making simple 1 to 1 word associations, beginner gameplay is easy because it is possible to play the game even though you aren't doing so optimally. This allows the game to have a nice progression arc in which the base gameplay is easy to understand, while allowing for really elaborate strategies as people gain more experience. After I played the game a few times with the same people, the meta shifted to giving red-herring clues in attempts to lead the opposing team to draw incorrect conclusions about the item that you are talking about. This type of gameplay, however, is self-balancing since sometimes you will lead your own team down the wrong path. I think this is the fundamental difference between Decrypto and Codenames: while Codenames is a very tactical game, Decrypto is both a tactical and strategic game, and I think that alone lends itself to much more longevity and interesting plays.

1st and Roll: This is kind of a silly dice game where the strategy just comes from being able to suss out what kind of play your opponent is doing from a choice of 3. The game itself is both incredibly simple and also full of by-rules in order to try to simulate some of the dumber rules of Football. Overall I enjoyed it, although it was silly as hell.

Pantone: In this game you have coloured cards and are trying to make people guess which person (which can either be historical or from TV/Cartoons/etc) you are drawing using the limited palette of colours available. It was kind of fun but some of the people that you were meant to draw seem pretty difficult to do, and I wish that the game wasn't limited to just people, but also other concepts.

In three parts:

I must respectfully disagree that Decrypto trumps Codenames. Decrypto is like a heavier, gamer's Codenames with its greater emphasis on adjusting your plays to screw with the enemy team. It is rather less encouraging of free-flowing table talk because you are again minding what the other team knows more sharply. This makes it less party-friendly. I imagine just about anyone could drop Codenames on six to ten of their assembled uncles, cousins, and grandparents over Christmas. Decrypto not so much. Decrypto also tests different language skills than Codenames. Anyway, the niches they occupy in terms of player-count and situational applicability are different enough that one cannot obsolete the other.

Is 1st and Roll related to 1st and Goal (the board game from R&R, not the football terminology)?

Thanks for the thoughts on Pantone (and Root, and others). I'd like to hear more about Pantone because of a graphic designer friend who likes the theme.

Agent Rush posted:

Another question about the Sirlin Games sale, does anyone have experience with Pandante? The description makes it sound interesting, but I probably wouldn't consider it outside of a big sale like this.

Also, how does Codex feel to play? I like the idea of an RPS card game, but is it a good one?

I have to go with thread-mind on Pandante. Doesn't seem like a particularly good product, not for its cost. I'm pro-Codex, with limited play experience though (don't own it myself). Feels like a tuned-up Magic the Gathering to me and does fairly well feel like Warcraft 3 at the same time. However, there's no doubting that it's a complete dog's breakfast in terms of art and theme. Just all over the place.

I'll also belatedly agree that Yomi Round 1 and/or 2 is where you want to go to start with Yomi. And don't forget Puzzle Strike! The first set, with the pink box, contains less complicated chip and character ideas and is the one to get if you only get one. Note that the blue box can stand alone as its own game though because it also has all the rules and basic game components.

Aston posted:

Ah, that is literally what alliances do in Eclipse...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Countblanc posted:

The only meta-gaming that I'm truly sick of is "this person owns the game, therefore it makes sense to dogpile them." Worse yet is no one else buys games.
Tell me about it! I'd stop buying games if I didn't want to play literally all of them. I really need to find some local board game groups but they're pretty rare in my area which is a shame.

Speaking of wanting to play literally all of the games, the El Dorado chat from earlier made me realise that my collection has a pretty glaring deck/engine building shaped hole in it. I am probably going to pick up one of Splendor, El Dorado, Clank!, Spice Road or maybe Gizmos at a push (I think the marbles are neat but I'm almost certain the game will confuse/frustrate my beginner friends). Do people have any strong opinions about any of those games and have I missed any other obvious alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Mega civilization

We did a 6 player game of Mega Civ on the weekend that we had to cut a round or two short because of people's time constraints but with two new players and the normal AST track we were flying. It's so interesting to hear from people who are always skeptical at first is the "oh this is actually really simple" and "wow I was having fun and engaged the entire time". I think it says a lot about how badly people have been burned (myself included) that a lot of people are terrified to touch an epic like Civ that could last like half a day, but when they do they're knocked down by how good it is.

I don't think I would ever touch the Expert side of the AST again unless everyone playing really knows what they're doing and/or it's a smaller group. The normal side had us moving briskly but even by the end the tech buys were getting atrocious. That said, I had Wonder of the World by maybe turn four or five, which was awesome.

It was also interesting because the other game up for possible play that day was Here I Stand but I got terrified it would ruin everyone's gaming day with how fiddly and intricate it is so we defaulted to MC. I will get HiS onto the table in the new year, so help me God.