Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure the poneglyph in Alabasta was hidden in the tomb that Luffy and Crocodile smash their way into; the one in Skypiea was out of reach, obviously, and I think that was it for Paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

U-DO Burger posted:

you'd think the WG would have just sunk or buried every poneglyph they could find instead of doing dumb poo poo like letting alabasta have the instructions on where to find a superweapon

the alabasta one makes more sense in that the royal family had kept it hidden from the world government the entire time presumably because they knew what would happen otherwise

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Jose posted:

the alabasta one makes more sense in that the royal family had kept it hidden from the world government the entire time presumably because they knew what would happen otherwise

Which may also be a part (though doubt it's the sole reason) why the Nefertaris didn't go go to Mariejois with the rest of the WG founders.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jose posted:

I know but they're a relatively recent development in the one piece world. The world government is 800 years old

to be fair, we don't know how long the existence of the Yonko has been a thing - it be that the Yonko only began to exist after Gold Roger's death, but it could also have been that Gold Roger becoming Pirate King had something to do with overcoming all of whoever the Yonko were at the time, or even something else that's even crazier because thIS IS ONE PIECE, BABY

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Clearly the last Road Poneglyph is on the Moon, where Luffy and the crew will have to go and beat up Eneru. Turns out he was using the Road Poneglyph as a fancy table, not knowing how important it was.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I guess the WG didn't form search teams for the road poneglyphs cause they didn't want to let on to anyone of their importance, not even Cipher Pol agents. Destroying any faction that attempted to gather/decipher them was good enough and a lot easier than fighting pirates, samurai and minks. And with the big hat already in their possession they had no reason to go unearthing more ancient weapons. But Roger ruined their 800 year secret by announcing the island has a grand treasure and major pirates started gathering the poneglyphs.

I wonder if the Kozuki clan will be revealed as the royal family of Raftel. Would explain how their ancestors even knew the full history to put on the poneglyphs, why Wano closed itself off from the WG and why Momo could speak to Zou.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Posting Baccarat in celebration of this thread reaching 777!!!!!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
And on post #7 of the page no less.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lucky!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Maybe WG doesn’t know about the poneglyph map? Or maybe they do and can’t get it and destroy One Piece because so many poneglyphs are in yonkou hands and they’re too powerful to infiltrate because it’d start a war?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Assume the wg knows everything and is trying to suppress anyone from learning anything

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I've been real busy and haven't been reading this lately. Let's fix that! Starting back up with chapter 109, "Matter of Responsibility". When I last left off, the gang arrived at one of the first islands in the grand line, and had a wild party that was unsurprisingly a trap by the Baroque Works. Then Zoro came along and started loving everybody up. Now, to continue reading...

Oh this lady has hypnotic boobs. I was wondering what was up with her outfit. Still love that dude's shotgun sax, too. I hope it's never explained how it works.

And now two new peeps have arrived, I like how Miss Valentine looks like she's straight outta the 60s. Oh, and new we get some SECRET DRAMA OOH LALA I guess they were spies within spies. AND THIS DUDE HAS A BOOGER CANON. Oh hey, two more "ability users". Super excited to see their weird abilities. In fact, I hope devil fruit users become the norm, I love weird and wacky powers.

drat, Nami is real good at extorting and also wheeling and also dealing. The ability to make any part of your body explode is pretty fuckin rad. :torgue: And now Luffy is mad for what I'm sure is a pointless reason.

Okay yup, fairly pointless. Lmao at Luffy just loving clowning on explosion man off-screen. Mrs Valentine's ability is neat, but I suspect at this rate we won't see much of it. :v: I love Luffy and Zoro duking it out while ignoring these chumps.

Oh poo poo, name dropping another warlord. CROCODILE 🐊 I love how excited Luffy and Zoro are to be on the hit list now. Aww, RIP Igaram. Now we'll never know how his sax shotgun worked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh poo poo, name dropping another warlord. CROCODILE 🐊 I love how excited Luffy and Zoro are to be on the hit list now.

You are in for a treat when Crocodile shows up eventually.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm of the opinion that the One Piece is the monumental information about the void century and other such valuable information. However Luffy won't give a poo poo about that, instead being enamored with some "junk" laying around. The world government will attack, taking the info but in the process also destroying Luffy's new treasure.

He's going to overthrow the world government over a rusty suit of armor or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Himuro posted:

Maybe WG doesn’t know about the poneglyph map? Or maybe they do and can’t get it and destroy One Piece because so many poneglyphs are in yonkou hands and they’re too powerful to infiltrate because it’d start a war?

I thought the question was why they didn't do anything about the poneglyphs before the yonko were around

if there were always an equivalent to them, it'd make sense that the marines couldn't get to the road poneglyphs. it also makes sense that they wouldn't need to since different people owning them in an unending deadlock means nobody could get them all

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

D: In Ch. 891 Flampe coined the term “King of Big Brothers” who turned out to be Katakuri. Among Big Mom’s 85 children, who is the “King of Big Sisters”, “King of Little Brothers”, and “King of Little Sisters”? P.N. OP Girl that asks troublesome questions

O: Okay, first let’s start with what Flampe said in that chapter. The “Best Imōto-est Award” is something that Flampe selfishly hosts on her own. She is a very diligent child so she passes a survey along to everyone in the family. The final results of each sibling division are out. Let’s announce the TOP 3.

King of Big Brothers
Katakuri
Oven
Perospero

King of Little Brothers
Anglais
Newgo
Dolce

King of Big Sisters
Smoothie
Amande
Brûlée

King of Little Sisters
Flampe
Pudding
Anana

In the first place, the contest is rigged because the number of votes each person can receive isn’t equal. The “King of Younger Sister” is really just something Flampe does for fun.

I love this poo poo.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

I'm of the opinion that the One Piece is the monumental information about the void century and other such valuable information. However Luffy won't give a poo poo about that, instead being enamored with some "junk" laying around. The world government will attack, taking the info but in the process also destroying Luffy's new treasure.

He's going to overthrow the world government over a rusty suit of armor or something.

nah i think its some world-leveling sort of power that luffy doesnt care about or want to use because he just wants to have fun. thats why hes the chosen one, he's the only person that wouldnt want to actually rule the world lmao

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I love this poo poo.

Brûlée got loving robbed, the whole thing's rigged

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

So is there no Ace of the Beast Pirates?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ubiquitus posted:

Kaidou wanted to recruit Firefist Ace into the Beast Pirates but then he got himself punched through the chest by Akainu.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Brûlée got loving robbed, the whole thing's rigged

This. It's a goddamn crime.

I honestly did not expect the character of Brûlée of all people, to get the emotional payoff she did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ubiquitus posted:

I would assume Kaidou tried to recruit Ace in the past for this purpose.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So king/queen/jack are names rather than titles? I do love how jack just put up with them bullying him immediately after taking on an admiral and former fleet admiral

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought the question was why they didn't do anything about the poneglyphs before the yonko were around

if there were always an equivalent to them, it'd make sense that the marines couldn't get to the road poneglyphs. it also makes sense that they wouldn't need to since different people owning them in an unending deadlock means nobody could get them all
Keep in mind the poneglyphs were crafted in Wano, a country known for its resistance to join the World Government, so there's certainly a reason for them to be either unknown or inaccessible to the WG. A few of the known poneglyphs were also found in countries that the World Government hadn't reached yet at the time, like Jaya and Zou.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In addition to whatever world-shattering information or technology it contains, One Piece better also have a shitload of good ol' treasure or I'm gonna throw a tantrum.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Can Of Worms posted:

Keep in mind the poneglyphs were crafted in Wano, a country known for its resistance to join the World Government, so there's certainly a reason for them to be either unknown or inaccessible to the WG. A few of the known poneglyphs were also found in countries that the World Government hadn't reached yet at the time, like Jaya and Zou.

Never mind you must remember that the world is uncharted. There is no world map. The grand line has been conquered by only one crew: Gol D Roger’s. If the WG could have gone to Raftel they would have destroyed One Piece but they can’t. They have no map, the seas are VERY unfriendly, there’s low information, and it’s dangerous. I don’t doubt WG knows what the One Piece actually is but the location? Hell no.

Gyges posted:

I think One Piece is another poneglyph and the ultimate weapon that only Robin could possibly read as well as gold and treasure for the rest of the crew because what would be a pirate treasure without booty? It will contain knowledge of the void century. Unlike you, I think Luffy will care. The mischaracterization online that Luffy is just a simple dimwit is false. Luffy hails from one of the most divided and politicized countries in the world and had a friend deeply entrenched in that division. They burned a town full of poor people to the ground that Luffy hung out at as a kid. Luffy said he would destroy Fishman Island and allow Fishman to live on land. In the recent arc Luffy (or his persona that allows him to exist beyond a Pirate) gave the starving peasants food, exposing himself while doing so. Luffy is dumb. But Luffy is not heartless. Luffy HATES cruelty. By the end of the series when everything the WG has done is exposed, Luffy will have become such a leader he will have taken the war to the WG in true Luffy fashion than vice versa. That’s what I think will happen.

Countblanc posted:

In addition to whatever world-shattering information or technology it contains, One Piece better also have a shitload of good ol' treasure or I'm gonna throw a tantrum.

I think it has to. The rest of the crew deserve some treasure too. I’m hoping it’s Skypiea times 50.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

So king/queen/jack are names rather than titles? I do love how jack just put up with them bullying him immediately after taking on an admiral and former fleet admiral

It's funny cause we're introduced to Jack as this brutal dude who just refuses any attempts at negotiation and tries to brute rush everything, including a loving admiral + former admiral, but once we get to Wano the dude's shown to be one of the more reasonable members of the crew compared to Kaidou and King and Queen.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

It's funny cause we're introduced to Jack as this brutal dude who just refuses any attempts at negotiation and tries to brute rush everything, including a loving admiral + former admiral, but once we get to Wano the dude's shown to be one of the more reasonable members of the crew compared to Kaidou and King and Queen.

That’s my thing. Jack is for literally years portrayed as this brutal, evil dude. Turns out he’s not poo poo compared to the rest of the crew. Talk about messing with expectations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anime was right posted:

nah i think its some world-leveling sort of power that luffy doesnt care about or want to use because he just wants to have fun. thats why hes the chosen one, he's the only person that wouldnt want to actually rule the world lmao

remember that roger offered to tell whitebeard how to get to raftel and he didn't give a poo poo about it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

one piece is a bunch of treasure that forms a mecha like the guy from zack and wiki

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oddium posted:

one piece is a bunch of treasure that forms a mecha like the guy from zack and wiki

Lol if it turns out to resurrect Roger and he ends up the bad guy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

remember that roger offered to tell whitebeard how to get to raftel and he didn't give a poo poo about it

whitebeard probably wouldnt want to overthrow the WG

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Eiba posted:

No no, I mean the emotional roller coaster of "Oh, you're safe, wow I was kinda an rear end heh." [Shiliew materializes from invisibility] And then just the sinking feeling of realizing that Moria's comrade is not at all safe at all. It's not just seeing his corpse or being told he's dead, it's a dreadful deduction, realizing that this unexpected thing actually means something horrible.

I got that exact reaction but it wasnt when Shiliew turned visible... it was when it LOOKED LIKE Catarina Devon was smacking her face to change her appearance. I was about to flip out.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I really hope we get to see a flashback of some sort of Roger actually doing some fighting. I have trouble imagining someone without a Devil Fruit being so powerful that isn't a member of the Straw Hats, we don't really get to see it too often. Or when we do, it's only for a brief moment like Shanks and his clash with Whitebeard or blocking Akainu's attack. Even with Mihawk, he was still shooting giant sword lasers all over the place.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ah yes the Toriko plot line

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Himuro posted:

I think One Piece is another poneglyph and the ultimate weapon that only Robin could possibly read as well as gold and treasure for the rest of the crew because what would be a pirate treasure without booty? It will contain knowledge of the void century. Unlike you, I think Luffy will care. The mischaracterization online that Luffy is just a simple dimwit is false. Luffy hails from one of the most divided and politicized countries in the world and had a friend deeply entrenched in that division. They burned a town full of poor people to the ground that Luffy hung out at as a kid. Luffy said he would destroy Fishman Island and allow Fishman to live on land. In the recent arc Luffy (or his persona that allows him to exist beyond a Pirate) gave the starving peasants food, exposing himself while doing so. Luffy is dumb. But Luffy is not heartless. Luffy HATES cruelty. By the end of the series when everything the WG has done is exposed, Luffy will have become such a leader he will have taken the war to the WG in true Luffy fashion than vice versa. That’s what I think will happen.

Luffy's already at war with the World Government. Sure he'll go to war over some food for a dog or because some dude has different opinions on the tastyness of some pie. But is he going to care about some poo poo from 800 years ago? Nah, he needs something that happened today. And the world government does poo poo deserving of a good punch every few minutes.

Plus it looks like they're going after Vivi, and he sure doesn't need any more reason than that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Posting Baccarat in celebration of this thread reaching 777!!!!!

I really liked her devil fruit and defeat.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gyges posted:

Luffy's already at war with the World Government. Sure he'll go to war over some food for a dog or because some dude has different opinions on the tastyness of some pie. But is he going to care about some poo poo from 800 years ago? Nah, he needs something that happened today. And the world government does poo poo deserving of a good punch every few minutes.

Plus it looks like they're going after Vivi, and he sure doesn't need any more reason than that.

I think he'll care because there's a dude right now who says he'll be the emperor of the world. Who knows how it'll play out.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jose posted:

So king/queen/jack are names rather than titles?

Gonna be tragic when we learn that Kaidou is a drunk and wishes for death because he'll never get a chance to have Ace join his crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Imu is actually Roger who faked his death to bring about the age of pirates so the world would want a government.