Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ok two points first one is don't talk about the manga in the anime thread so edit it before a mod finds you, second of all no its still josuke getting saved by himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That ain’t Josuke dude. He’s not even wearing the same uniform.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why are people still hung up on the fact that the guy who josuke modeled his look after looks like Josuke
if I cut my hair like Chris Hemsworth it doesn’t make Chris Hemsworth actually me from the future
the mysterious helper being anything but a total stranger would defeat the point of the story

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 26, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Apparently it was originally supposed to have something to do with Another One Bites the Dust which is why the savior is bloodied and beaten up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

some people thought they were clever by predicting a time travel twist and got mad that they didn't end up right

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Apparently it was originally supposed to have something to do with Another One Bites the Dust which is why the savior is bloodied and beaten up

this is a fan theory

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

some people thought they were clever by predicting a time travel twist and got mad that they didn't end up right

considering how jojo plots work, the savior being a time traveling josuke saving himself and thus being his own hero is more plausible than it just being a random dude imho

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah it was never actually a real and canon thing, dude. It's still pretty mysterious, but this is also something that Josuke told Koichi from when he was four, and then it's told to the audience by Koichi. JoJo is full of weird happenstance like that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Yeah it was never actually a real and canon thing, dude. It's still pretty mysterious, but this is also something that Josuke told Koichi from when he was four, and then it's told to the audience by Koichi. JoJo is full of weird happenstance like that.

Look I prefer to live in a world with a weird unresolved time travel plot and you can live in your lamer no inexplicable time loops world :colbert:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Everyone knows Josuke was saved by a manifestation of Morioh town, which was bruised and bloodied to represent the damage already being done by Kira. This is also why the killing blow was an 'accident' from an ambulance driver, who as a public servant would be more vulnerable to the influence of a genius loci.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Everyone knows Josuke was saved by a manifestation of Morioh town, which was bruised and bloodied to represent the damage already being done by Kira. This is also why the killing blow was an 'accident' from an ambulance driver, who as a public servant would be more vulnerable to the influence of a genius loci.

I accept this interpretation

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i caught the implication earlier that the world was supposed to be everyone's stands but that has literally never been anything but a dumb and everpresent fan theory that keeps popping up despite the guy who actually wrote it directly saying otherwise

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You thought Josuke was inspired to be a good person after witnessing some rando loser perform an act of selflessness, but in fact, Josuke was motivated by rational self interest the whole time!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Johnny Joestar posted:

also i caught the implication earlier that the world was supposed to be everyone's stands but that has literally never been anything but a dumb and everpresent fan theory that keeps popping up despite the guy who actually wrote it directly saying otherwise

I mean very clearly demonstrating a character using the same stand as someone else after establishing that stands are unique seems to imply that The World was probably supposed to duplicate stands somehow so I don't know how it's a "dumb" fan theory when it's more "able to read basic foreshadowing." Especially because his ability to do that was never explained in the text but only as a bonus thing in some side media so like, reading it as an aborted plot point is pretty much the most obvious interpretation possible.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It is extremely fitting that Josuke's hero would not be Josuke from the future but just some dude. It's a completely compressed and condensed version of the golden heart of Morioh, that this town has good people in it, that the town itself tries as best as it can to expel the bad and work towards a brighter future, like the town itself is a living organism and it was people like Angelo and Kira who were blights upon it and needed to be singled out and eliminated. Angelo and Kira are the bacteria and the town must release antibodies to weaken and fight them off.

It's all down to Fate.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Glagha posted:

I mean very clearly demonstrating a character using the same stand as someone else after establishing that stands are unique seems to imply that The World was probably supposed to duplicate stands somehow so I don't know how it's a "dumb" fan theory when it's more "able to read basic foreshadowing." Especially because his ability to do that was never explained in the text but only as a bonus thing in some side media so like, reading it as an aborted plot point is pretty much the most obvious interpretation possible.

Who said that all stands are unique?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Glagha posted:

given that multiple joestars have vines bursting out of them i don't think it's that much a stretch for someone who bodyjacked one of them to have it for at least a bit

also yeah there's literally two rats with the exact same stand. part 3 is just a mess.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Glagha posted:

I mean I always understood Jojo as a fun and inconsistent hodgepodge of half baked ideas and dropped plot threads but clearly there are parts of the fanbase that dont see it that way so fair enough I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's be honest, though, if Araki had done the time-travel thing, then Josuke would have had no idea the car he saved had him inside until afterwards, and he would have just helped them because he's a Good Boy who looks out for folks. Araki knows not to ruin moments of altruism like that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Let's be honest, though, if Araki had done the time-travel thing, then Josuke would have had no idea the car he saved had him inside until afterwards, and he would have just helped them because he's a Good Boy who looks out for folks. Araki knows not to ruin moments of altruism like that.

i think josuke would recognize his own mother

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I always thought it was a hint it was him because he immediately saw the kid Josuke in the back and was like "hes sick, right?" as the moment it clicked that he was saving himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i think josuke would recognize his own mother

In a blizzard after being beaten to poo poo? Not necessarily. Especially if he doesn't realise he's time-travelled, in which case she's just a woman who looks a lot like his mother did when she was younger.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if davidpro really cared about us they'd release two episodes a week

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always thought it was a hint it was him because he immediately saw the kid Josuke in the back and was like "hes sick, right?" as the moment it clicked that he was saving himself.

what no he just saw a kid who looked sick and asked if that kid is sick and decided to help out the sick kid :psyduck:

like speculation is fine but this is just actively ignoring everything surrounding the scene that’s telling you what the point of this scene is

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 26, 2018

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What if instead of Gold Experience Gigorno's stand was Dio with GE's powers and they talked to eachother

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's actual literal dropped plot threads which can be easily pointed out when it becomes relevant, not things that are just araki vaguely floating certain plot details and deciding to go a different direction with them

which is why all the constant youtube game theory-esque poo poo that gets brought up is annoying, because it endlessly just decides to ignore the thing that ended up happening so it can assert something else was ACTUALLY supposed to happen but araki totally cheated us because i guess a dude who does nothing but drawing a comic on a mostly weekly basis for 30+ years has nothing better to do than bait and switch us, the hapless japanese comic consumers

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

which is why all the constant youtube game theory-esque poo poo that gets brought up is annoying, because it endlessly just decides to ignore the thing that ended up happening so it can assert something else was ACTUALLY supposed to happen but araki totally cheated us because i guess a dude who does nothing but drawing a comic on a mostly weekly basis for 30+ years has nothing better to do than bait and switch us, the hapless japanese comic consumers

That's totally not the point dude, jesus. No one is accusing Araki of cheating anyone. It's just fun looking at a story that was told sequentially for years as one coherent story and seeing where friction occurs.

It's just more dramatic in jojo because jojo is already really weird.

No one is accusing Araki of scamming people because things sometimes feel weird and unresolved

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's actual literal dropped plot threads which can be easily pointed out when it becomes relevant, not things that are just araki vaguely floating certain plot details and deciding to go a different direction with them

Who said anyone was cheated? Stating "Hey it looks like they were going to do this with the plot but decided not to" is not a youtube game theory.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Disregarding the many posts already explaining why Josuke being saved himself would undermine the entire theme of Part 4, let's look at this realistically.

Josuke's backstory was published in July of 1993. Kira steps into the story in October of the same year, fully entering the story in November, Killer Queen making it's first appearance about three weeks later and the Bites the Dust arc doesn't start until two years since the backstory, July 3rd of 1995, with Kira getting two new powers and a new face to keep the story going along the way. Given how we've seen Araki write stories, combined with the intense weekly deadline of writing manga, it seems absurd to me that Araki had already been thinking of sending Josuke back in time with Bites The Dust for two years and changed his mind. the guy retcons if his characters are dead or not, come on now

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Augus posted:

like speculation is fine but this is just actively ignoring everything surrounding the scene that’s telling you what the point of this scene is

A six foot eight Japanese kid who has the same physique and face as Josuke standing in the middle of a snow storm looking completely beat up and not dressed for walking in a snow storm suddenly knowing a car has a sick kid and helping them and then never being seen by anyone ever again are also details surrounding the scene.

Like, if the house interpetation is that he was just a random dude, ok. But it's a little lovely and gate keeping to act like the interpretation is so obvious when there is clearly a lot making the scene ambiguous.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's totally not the point dude, jesus. No one is accusing Araki of cheating anyone. It's just fun looking at a story that was told sequentially for years as one coherent story and seeing where friction occurs.

It's just more dramatic in jojo because jojo is already really weird.

No one is accusing Araki of scamming people because things sometimes feel weird and unresolved

but the “friction” in this case is “a plot point amounting to exactly as much as is stated up front and not being a bonkers twist that alters the meaning entirely to one that doesn’t make sense”

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A six foot eight Japanese kid who has the same physique and face as Josuke standing in the middle of a snow storm looking completely beat up and not dressed for walking in a snow storm suddenly knowing a car has a sick kid and helping them and then never being seen by anyone ever again are also details surrounding the scene.

Like, if the house interpetation is that he was just a random dude, ok. But it's a little lovely and gate keeping to act like the interpretation is so obvious when there is clearly a lot making the scene ambiguous.

is everything gatekeeping these days

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's supposed to be ambiguous because that's the point. the stranger is just stranger who despite his wounds wanted to do a good thing. he was purely a good person that didn't want recognition because the show beats it into your head that Morioh is a town with a Golden Heart. That dude looks like Josuke because Josuke wants to look like the dude, they say that word for word. Josuke's whole yankee image is pretty outdated by 1999 but totally fits for 1984. the joke is that josuke has an outdated look and haircut

also josuke is not 6'8 what?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Augus posted:

but the “friction” in this case is “a plot point amounting to exactly as much as is stated up front and not being a bonkers twist that alters the meaning entirely to one that doesn’t make sense”

Ok, then how about this. If he was intended to obviously not be josuke and to represent the goodness of Morioh, why did Araki decide to draw his as bloodied from a fight and just as exactly tall and built like Josuke. Why not just a random dude with the same hair style?

Like, at this point it's kind of obnoxious pretending the interpretation is obvious when theres a lot of weird gray area.

Like, someone watching it for the first time sees a dude who is literally just Josuke saving Josuke while bloodied up from a fight and you are acting like that person is stupid for thinking there is more to it than "it's a story about a nice guy"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But the context is that this is the person that Josuke based his look on. Of course the guy looks like Josuke! You were already told in no uncertain terms why he looks like Josuke!

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

The funniest thing about this conversation whenever it comes up is how incredibly ANGRY people get over any threat to the thematic integrity of the weird, incredibly inconsistent, baffling story that is JoJo. JoJo is a cool loving collection of creative ideas and characters that occasionally, almost accidentally it feels like, coalesce into a coherent whole.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TooManyUzukis posted:

The funniest thing about this conversation whenever it comes up is how incredibly ANGRY people get over any threat to the thematic integrity of the weird, incredibly inconsistent, baffling story that is JoJo. JoJo is a cool loving collection of creative ideas and characters that occasionally, almost accidentally it feels like, coalesce into a coherent whole.

Jojo was not created, it was discovered

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TooManyUzukis posted:

Yeah I am genuinely kind of surprised at the backlash right now because I always thought to most readers it was a weird unresolved thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think it's weird when people act like Araki is a lunatic who just lucked into making a cool funny story that no one should try to dissect or look for metaphors in this weird anti-intellectual stance instead of thinking he's just an eccentric who writes cool stuff that's worthy of serious criticism and discussion