Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Eh, forget that one, there will be more extreme ones as time goes by but I don't want to turn this into Star Citizen chat

here have some crypto chat

so for those out of the loop (I envy you) a "tether" is a USDT in other words, a US Dollar Tether. Not a US Dollar. A company scrip issued by a crypto exchange Bitfinex that can't be directly liquidated for fiat currency even though they are totally backed 1:1 because the End the Fed/Fractional Reserve = Bad crowd would never not do such a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

People who spent $30 to get access to the Star Citizen pre-alpha/whatever are a pretty minor BWM, given the expense. The real targets there are the people who pledged $250 - $10,000 in the kickstarter.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ashcans posted:

People who spent $30 to get access to the Star Citizen pre-alpha/whatever are a pretty minor BWM, given the expense. The real targets there are the people who pledged $250 - $10,000 in the kickstarter.

I got a copy of Star Citizen (and two other, actual games) bundled with a $220 GPU that I bought in 2014. That GPU is since long gone, and star citizen still hasn't released.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Eh, forget that one, there will be more extreme ones as time goes by but I don't want to turn this into Star Citizen chat

here have some crypto chat

so for those out of the loop (I envy you) a "tether" is a USDT in other words, a US Dollar Tether. Not a US Dollar. A company scrip issued by a crypto exchange Bitfinex that can't be directly liquidated for fiat currency even though they are totally backed 1:1 because the End the Fed/Fractional Reserve = Bad crowd would never not do such a thing

I am so confused right now.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It kinda sounds like he thought he had 1 quick trick to buy 1 million bucks at 98% of the price. At face value he was buying $1000000 for $980000. He's now realizing he has to pay a 3% fee to withdraw, meaning he loses money on that deal. This is all assuming the tethers are actually worth $1, which they aren't. He's never getting his money back.

Quick edit: he was buying 5 million not 1 million but the same details apply.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sparkmaster posted:

I am so confused right now.

I'll assume you know what bitcoin is

So imagine I'm in so deep with crypto (bitcoins, dogecoin whatever) but I can't cash out because the exchange keeps telling me 2 weeks (which they told me two weeks ago etc). So instead I decide to buy 5 million dollars worth of IOUs. Except I'm now being charged a fee for those IOUs but I'm so desperate I ask for more please. Tether isn't actually a crypto that is supposed to be speculated on like bitcoin, it's literally "US Dollar, except not"

it's Dave and Busters tokens for crypto arcades

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wilderthanmild posted:

It kinda sounds like he thought he had 1 quick trick to buy 1 million bucks at 98% of the price. At face value he was buying $1000000 for $980000. He's now realizing he has to pay a 3% fee to withdraw, meaning he loses money on that deal. This is all assuming the tethers are actually worth $1, which they aren't. He's never getting his money back.

Quick edit: he was buying 5 million not 1 million but the same details apply.

Reminds me of a conference call I was on at work a few years back, where the sales guy was talking about how much we would make per service call for this upgrade. My boss noted that the price we were charging was going to cost us money on each unit, and the sales guy said "but we'll make it up in volume!"

It was awkward after that.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

wilderthanmild posted:

He's now realizing he has to pay a 3% fee to withdraw, meaning he loses money on that deal.

From the comments it sounds like the 3% fee was either recently implemented or raised, so when he came up with the idea it might have had some merit (giving maximum benefit of the doubt that he can actually cash out).

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Tether is literally a fake dollar pegged currency invented for the sole purpose of fraudulently concealing a massive theft from account holders and then used to even more brazenly manipulate the market later

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Since when can ordinary punters cash out Tether anyway? I thought one of the hilarious things about Tether being totally worth a dollar, guys, trust us was that only the big exchanges could actually convert it to money.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get how people fall for that dumb fake IOU system. There didn't seem to be any legitimate use for it unless they don't have the money to pay out, which defeats the purpose. I don't even know how they expected that to work unless their business model was entirely predicated on crypto going up forever and them just staying far enough behind to pay out.

It's all moot because their only purpose was to scam people and pump Bitcoin, but I'm still dumbfounded people fell for it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
his only hope is to trade the tethers for bitcoin or something and hope to god the price doesn't fall before he can sell it all on the exchange for actual money

he's going to fail at this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If I follow it correctly (and I am not sure I do because crypto is a nightmare) I assume it's the same phenomena that keeps people going down the hole on elaborate scams and continually sending more cash to some random person with the promises that they're almost at the point of delivering the jackpot - once people have bought into a framework, they're more likely to continue to buy in to justify their decisions and 'make it back' than they are to just realize they were hosed and walk away, because that requires more self-reflection and the ability to admit you were an idiot who got taken in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm buried in debt and I have no idea how to get out
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/controversial/#res:ner-page=2

quote:

I dont know where to start digging myself out of this debt. I currently owe 20k in CCs, another 20k for 2 car loans and a personal loan that is almost paid off. My gross income is 5200 a month or about 3k net a month.

Of that 3k 75 is for Insurance 125 is for 401k Loan Repayment 100 is for 401K deposit

I pay about 650 a month in CCs

400 in car Loans

160 for insurance on both cars

340 for phone bill

140 various subscriptions(prime, youtube, netflix)

150 for prog leasing loan Together this totals around 2200 a month, the 800 left over goes to gas, food. Entertainment. I try to put 400 into savings each month but just catch myself always needing to use it because I dont know where the rest of my money goes. I'm just really bad at saving.

I have no rent because I decided to live in a van to attempt to get my self out of debt, but I've lived in a van in a year and made no dent in paying anything off, I actually increased my expenses about 400 by buying the van, gas and insurance.

How should I go about tackling this? I've though about adding more to my 401k and increase tax withholding as a way to save so I cant touch it. If I put 500 a month into my 401k and take a 20k loan maybe next year I could pay off my CC debt. Would this be a good idea? It's a 12% interest in the 401k loan but I think out it as paying myself back and its lower interest than any CC I have. I've already cut up all my CCs except 1 which I pay most of my Bill's with for the cash back rewards but I never pay off this CC in full each month. I've tried the snowball effect, by paying the smallest card first but I somehow end up using the card I pay off again. I have no self control. My credit score is 650, I've never missed any payments on any CC or loan or Bill's, just the high revolving credit has my score low. So I cant get any debt consolidation loans. Any advice on what my best options would be?

In debt, went to live in Van. Van life more expensive than not-van life, debt grew.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I’m in over my head and need advice please.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0f5j7/im_in_over_my_head_and_need_advice_please/

quote:

I’m in a very bad place financially and need to pay off about $30k in credit card debt. I’m 50 and have $49K in a life growth fund and $27 in a Roth IRA.

I haven’t worked in 7 months after moving across country and am behind in bills and owe house taxes.

Not an excuse, but I’m severely depressed and have ADD.

I’ve been very careless with money and don’t pay attention to my accounts resulting in overdraft fees. This causes me so much anxiety, but I continue to do it.

I’m the co trustee of the house I’m living in and don’t pay rent, but am responsible for taxes, insurance and all other upkeep costs.

I’m sitting on at least $150k of collectibles I’ve acquired over the last 30 years and am starting to list them on EBay.

Sorry this doesn’t read well. I’m nervous even putting my situation out here.

Should I sell the growth fund to cover my debt and pay my bills? Any other advice?

Thank you!

I could not confirm they are Funko Pops, but they are almost certainly anime related.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much he bought the van for. I also wonder if by van he means some old beat up van or some brand new fancy thing. Why keep the second car when he has the van?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Should I sell my collectibles or raid my retirement savings? Gee hard one there.

I wonder if "starting to list" is like 1 or 2 of them on eBay individually.

This guy will also probably be disappointed when he can't get 150k for his beanie babies, Funko Pops, designer dildos or whatever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lockback posted:

I’m in over my head and need advice please.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0f5j7/im_in_over_my_head_and_need_advice_please/

I could not confirm they are Funko Pops, but they are almost certainly anime related.

DRIL SELL THE CANDLES

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Should I sell my collectibles or raid my retirement savings? Gee hard one there.

I wonder if "starting to list" is like 1 or 2 of them on eBay individually.

This guy will also probably be disappointed when he can't get 150k for his beanie babies, Funko Pops, designer dildos or whatever.

He should probably immediately liquidate the Life Growth fund and kill his debt, but then sell his collection of anime wall scrolls and replenish his retirement funds with that.

No way he's going to get even near $150k though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Normally I avoid zeroing in on single expenses, but uh let's talk about that $340 phone bill. What's going on there?

quote:

I pay my mothers, his boyfriend and my phone know the same bill. 2 phones are financed

Amazingly I can't even figure out how that covers it all, seeing as you should be able to get an unlimited plan for multiple lines for half that cost before you add any phones. Boyfriend is GWM though, getting his bill paid by his girlfriend's homeless child. A++

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ashcans posted:

Normally I avoid zeroing in on single expenses, but uh let's talk about that $340 phone bill. What's going on there?

Amazingly I can't even figure out how that covers it all, seeing as you should be able to get an unlimited plan for multiple lines for half that cost before you add any phones. Boyfriend is GWM though, getting his bill paid by his girlfriend's homeless child. A++

Phone leases, the new iPhone XR runs $31 a month plus change.

Three of those, plus the monthly plan, plus taxes and BS fees... that should still only around $200-250 depending on the provider.

OK I give up, how is that bill more then $340 a month?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FYI-
"I've lived in a van in a year and made no dent in paying anything off"

and

"GWM: Having your phone bill paid by your GF's homeless child"

are both good thread titles.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Could also be something dumb like they have a tiny data limit and are just going wildly over and paying it on the crazy overage rate. That would make a bunch of sense for a guy who is apparently living in a van but still using a bunch of streaming services.

Can you roll balances forward on phone financing? Maybe he gets the newest whatever each year and owes a shitton on phone financing now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wilderthanmild posted:

Can you roll balances forward on phone financing? Maybe he gets the newest whatever each year and owes a shitton on phone financing now.

Isn't this essentially what Apple's program is?

Still, if you can't, we need to figure out a way for people to start.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe something like that, plus all those phone protection schemes they try to sell you for each phone? That might do it. If they have a terrible plan with some sort of limit and are paying $15 for every overage gig, it would rack up. Is roaming still a thing? Maybe he's parked his van somewhere terrible and has roaming fees all the time as well.

Some other details from the follow up comments:

quote:

I used to spend maybe 200 a month on marijuana

Food is probably my biggest expense, I only eat out. Onl thing ever buy in bulk from the store is bottled water.

No wonder moving into a van didn't help.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Most important types of equity: truck equity, horse equity, and now phone equity.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bad With Money 2018: I'm upside-down on an iPhone XR

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lockback posted:

FYI-
"I've lived in a van in a year and made no dent in paying anything off"

and

"GWM: Having your phone bill paid by your GF's homeless child"

are both good thread titles.

"The onl thing I buy in bulk is bottled water" is up there too. I'm legit impressed someone ended up more in debt after moving into a van.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We had one of these last week with a incredibly expensive phone bill like it’s circa 1997 and they’ve got unlimited minutes on Verizon.

It’s nearly impossible to get to $300+ even if they financed the fanciest phones possible. These people have the Hermès bag equivalent of a phone plan.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This (about to be) poor, poor guy:

Seeking advice on handling debt in relationship

quote:

My fiance and I are in our early 30's and both have substantial student loan debts. I'm at $62,000 and she's at about $160,000. I have strong earning potential and am on track to pay my debt off in 5 years. She is in the midst of a career change to graphic design, so her earning potential is somewhat unclear (I strongly encouraged her to do this despite the shift in financial standing because she is passionate about it and her previous job made her depressed). She assures me that her debt will remain her responsibility, but I know that I'm going to be paying for it whether directly or indirectly.​

We had discussed all of this before I even proposed, but I periodically go through intense anxious breakdowns because of the incredible burden it feels that I'm walking into. I'm seeking some input on how to approach our massive debt and how it impacts decisions about marriage and filing taxes.​

Should we file separately after getting married so she can stay on IBR, pay the minimum, and have her loans in 20 or so years?

Is there any financial reason to wait to get married?

Should she consolidate all her loans (just hers, not mine) to get a lower interest rate and start paying more aggressively?​

It's hard to not see her immense debt as a red flag and potential (likely?) cause for real financial struggle (and subsequent problems). At the very least, it changes the plan and feeling for other major life things like buying a house or having children. Neither of those things seem reasonable for a long time, if ever.​

I am hoping she and I can come up with some plan that makes me feel more confident about the financial stability of our future marriage. We both plan to speak with a financial advisor in the near future, but any insight or advice from this subreddit would be much appreciated.

Has anyone started to drum up VC money for a Tinder-like app only for people who have hundreds of thousands of student loan debt that they have no hope of paying off?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

"The onl thing I buy in bulk is bottled water" is up there too. I'm legit impressed someone ended up more in debt after moving into a van.

if he had moved it down by the river he wouldn't have needed bottled water

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cacafuego posted:

This (about to be) poor, poor guy:

Seeking advice on handling debt in relationship

Has anyone started to drum up VC money for a Tinder-like app only for people who have hundreds of thousands of student loan debt that they have no hope of paying off?

No but I've always wondered how easy it would be to set up an LLC to buy your own debt at pennies on the dollar some years after it's deemed all but uncollectable, and then report it as paid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

I'm buried in debt and I have no idea how to get out
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/controversial/#res:ner-page=2

In debt, went to live in Van. Van life more expensive than not-van life, debt grew.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0b7br/im_buried_in_debt_and_i_have_no_idea_how_to_get/ Actual link. Comments are boring. Turns out his Mother's Boytoy pays him $80/month for the cell phone and he ostensibly splits Youtube and Netflix, and somehow has prime yet lives in a van.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

We had one of these last week with a incredibly expensive phone bill like it’s circa 1997 and they’ve got unlimited minutes on Verizon.

It’s nearly impossible to get to $300+ even if they financed the fanciest phones possible. These people have the Hermès bag equivalent of a phone plan.

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/bags-a...is_telephone%7D||Category

Edit: also please check out the little graphic for loading for thread relevant additional content.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0b7br/im_buried_in_debt_and_i_have_no_idea_how_to_get/ Actual link. Comments are boring. Turns out his Mother's Boytoy pays him $80/month for the cell phone and he ostensibly splits Youtube and Netflix, and somehow has prime yet lives in a van.

Amazon will deliver to cars with their new Key program.

Want to see the look on the delivery guy’s face when he interrupts homeless man washing his socks in the van.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
He might also be referring to prime video instead of normal prime. He did lump it in with streaming services.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Can we also talk about the $140 in subscription services?

He's splitting Netflix and Hulu, so that plus Amazon Prime should be about... $30 a month? If that?

Where is the other $110ish coming from? Definitely not cable, given that he's living in a van.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My co-worker told me about his parents who had a landline phone that they rented for like $5/month for decades. It was well over $1000 spent on a simple corded phone over its lifetime.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It may sound crazy but I am beginning to think this PF poster could be an unreliable narrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Where is the other $110ish coming from? Definitely not cable, given that he's living in a van.

A stream of cheap booze is kind of like streaming.