Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's uncanny, because it's not just that he's a bad artist, it's that he has literally no idea how his art is supposed to work -- he has no clue how an action scene is supposed to be drawn, or how to show depth in perspective, or a million other little tricks that I don't know about because I'm not an artist, but when they're just not there the whole thing can't help but look like an untalented 10-year-old's scribblings on a cheap Paint app.

Except not exactly, because there's so much painstaking work and attention to detail put into each terrible frame that it's obvious a determined adult is trying very, very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Kalas posted:

Why the hell did you have to link that. I reached the boat part, and it's like watching the biggest train wreck in history coming together. I've lost track of time now.
It's great.

same here, I gave myself a headache from reading this all in one setting, but I couldn't put it down

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Found my favorite page: http://hitmen.thecomicseries.com/comics/101/

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'm currently technically homeless/unemployed (gently caress yeah, graduating) and crashing at my girlfriend's. So of course I had to link this to her.

I haven't been forced to suck any toes yet.

Yet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Brainamp posted:

Or star citizens.

Star Citizens fanbase is great, for Star Citizen.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I started reading Hitmen for Destiny because of the discussion, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. Then I reached Passion, Lies, and Fungus. :stwoon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrakePegasus posted:

I started reading Hitmen for Destiny because of the discussion, and I thought it was pretty entertaining. Then I reached Passion, Lies, and Fungus. :stwoon:

It's an old school door slamming farce, it's great

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Thorsby is straight up a modern master of the farce who for some reason is writing fantasy webcomics instead of stage plays. Stage adaptations of either Passion, Lies, and Fungus or Lies, Sisters and Wives would work so ridiculously well.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I really tried, guys, but it's just too loving ugly for my weak-willed self.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Malpais Legate posted:

I also tried. The single panels stacked vertically drove me nuts and I couldn't do it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I just wound up taking to scrolling through Thorsby’s stuff whenever it was posted in the “bad” webcomics thread. I know everyone else praises it for the writing, but I really just can’t get past the art style.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not sure which side of the fence I come down on yet, but the big head style reminds me of old LucasArts adventures.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I bounced off thorsby a couple times before it sank in, up until then I assumed everyone was being super ironic and it was another pupkin scenario

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I just wound up taking to scrolling through Thorsby’s stuff whenever it was posted in the “bad” webcomics thread. I know everyone else praises it for the writing, but I really just can’t get past the art style.

it's unreadable for me

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not sure which side of the fence I come down on yet, but the big head style reminds me of old LucasArts adventures.

I'm sure Maniac Mansion in particular has been a big influence. If you did a Let's Play of Maniac Mansion by just taking a bunch of screenshots and then posting them one after the other, it'd look a lot like a Thorsby comic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrakePegasus posted:

Yeah I just read the whole thing last night and it's fantastic. The weird part is that while the art is bad, the composition is often quite good, especially during action scenes. He's pretty good at selling motion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Malpais Legate posted:

I feel you because its so, so ugly but it really is actually great, i recommend pushing through if you can.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Say what you will about Thorsby's art, his grasp of anatomy is incredible.

Just not human anatomy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nobody draws better Castration Planet citizens than him

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Beavis is not rocking that drag.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Outsider art.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao at people saying Thorsby is too ugly to read in the fuckin' OotS thread of all places. :hmbol:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

But that's the point, isn't it? Order of the Stick might be literal stick figures, but Rich is enough of an artist that you aren't constantly thinking "man, this looks like absolute garbage."

Full disclosure, I read through Hitmen of Destiny and most of Accidental Space Spy, so I do appreciate the guy's stories, but holy poo poo. It doesn't look like he's even interested in learning how to draw.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think they are comparable, hod is terrible but it's bright and colorful and focuses well on the deranged monster design and low affect characters.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Say what you will about Thorsby's art, his grasp of anatomy is incredible.

Just not human anatomy.

Next panel to this made me actually laugh out loud. Can’t wait till this is finished and I can read it all through in one go again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You can't look at the many hundreds of distinct creatures and monsters that have clear thought put into them and say Thorsby doesn't know how to draw.

What you don't like is his chosen style. Which is fine. But youre wrong if you think he doesn't have some sort of artistic talent.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

:siren:Headed Back:siren:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oh thank god Rich is OK

Interesting bit about the outsiders there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ConfusedUs posted:

oh thank god Rich is OK

Interesting bit about the outsiders there.

That means that the IFC might not actually know what they're messing with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

wdarkk posted:

Can you even call yourself evil if you don't meddle with forces you barely understand?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

wdarkk posted:

Or they missed the mind wipe and are in the process of going a bit crazy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slightly terrified lol at the tadpole line

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Perfect strip.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

dreadmojo posted:

Elemental chaos and sentience don't mix well

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

wdarkk posted:

I guess both they and Sabine actually didn't know about the gates until Nale got the story. Neat. That means their plan is probably more wrong-headed than it is a big ol' long con.

Also glad that Durkon is being resurrected by Hilgya. Looking forward to the next couple strips, though I'm not sure how the vampire wrap-up can possibly follow up on the latest... 21 strips. Whoa.

E: Though I guess Tiamat is the only evil god with whom they've been directly in touch, and one who's been suggested to have a scheme involving the purple quiddity that isn't the gambit Thor and Loki are trying to pull. Maybe they're actually trying to save this world for evil's sake, by working to create a more malleable unsponsored god?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 27, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dreadmojo posted:

Slaadi tadpoles turn into full Slaad in a few minutes. It's pretty gross.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's nice that they both are looking out for their families. Death must be a lot less tragic when you can actually get reliable contact with your lost loved ones.

Although on the other hand people who can't let go would probably be even worse.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's looking very good for Durkon getting punched in the face as soon as he comes back to life, yessss

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's nice that they both are looking out for their families. Death must be a lot less tragic when you can actually get reliable contact with your lost loved ones.

Although on the other hand people who can't let go would probably be even worse.

thats pretty much the classic lead in to necromancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I guess that the bit about the Outsiders means that, when the gods wipe and remake "the world", they're actually talking about just the Prime Material Plane, not the multiverse?