Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You know, I give Nintendo a lot of credit for botw, and not because it's simply open world or whatever. I just really appreciated them not being afraid of going back to the drawing board, playing around with conventions that might have otherwise been considered "sacred," and giving the game its own drat identity/focus.

People really fixate on the open world bit but it's the novelty and originality that really push botw into greatness. In a way, I also felt this way about Mario 3d land and world.

Derivative products are easily my biggest pet peeve. One or two sequels with similar gameplay is cool, past that imo there needs to be some sort of shake up or improvement.

Notable exceptions to this include mega Man games (I'll buy it annually, I don't give a shiiiiit) and metroidvanias. I can play those forever and ever and ever and ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

dog nougat posted:

Whelp. The portability of the switch bit me in the rear end. It fell outta my bag at a bar while having some post-work drinks last night. Fortunately someone gave it to the the bartender and it's safely stashed away for me to retrieve it this afternoon. Was pretty alarming to not have it there when I got home. Guess I managed to accrue some karma points somewhere at least.

This is why my Switch rarely leaves home. While in theory it is portable, to me it is "portable" in that it goes from my living room where the dock is, to my bedroom so I can play a bit before sleeping. At $300, it is just a tad too expensive to be taking out for day-to-day stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

You know, I give Nintendo a lot of credit for botw, and not because it's simply open world or whatever. I just really appreciated them not being afraid of going back to the drawing board, playing around with conventions that might have otherwise been considered "sacred," and giving the game its own drat identity/focus.

People really fixate on the open world bit but it's the novelty and originality that really push botw into greatness. In a way, I also felt this way about Mario 3d land and world.

Derivative products are easily my biggest pet peeve. One or two sequels with similar gameplay is cool, past that imo there needs to be some sort of shake up or improvement.

Notable exceptions to this include mega Man games (I'll buy it annually, I don't give a shiiiiit) and metroidvanias. I can play those forever and ever and ever and ever

Derivative things are good imo

No need to reinvent the wheel if you have a good thing going.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ehh a switch fits fine in a laptop bag, I just personally am never in a situation where I can break out the switch and play in public. I guess if you take public transport and have a long commute, I could see it being a more appealing option

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Andrast posted:

No, iterative things are good. Derivative games are lazy and get dull fast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

No, iterative things are good. Derivative games are lazy and get dull fast.

I'd play a new Yet Another Soulslike by FROM or a SOTN-style Castlevania every year no problem

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

It's a delicate balance but with so many games to play, I drop boring games like a bad habit. Games I've already played tend to get boring much more quickly than new novel experiences.

Ymmv but I felt like a kid all over again while playing botw. No other Zelda game had done that in over a decade, not even the sweet game boy trilogy.

Andrast posted:

I'd play a new Yet Another Soulslike by FROM or a SOTN-style Castlevania every year no problem

There are definitely exceptions, but even then I rolled my eyes hard at all the callbacks and retreaded ground that fromsoft keeps sticking into their games, esp with DS2 and DS3.

It like takes them three games to perfect/refine the exact same npc plotlines and locations, it's mildly annoying. Change it up, cowards! All the fresh content in DS3 was really good, but it was mixed in with repeated storylines and rehashed environments.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 26, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I don't think Pokemon should be an actual open world, like BotW. Pokemon is going for a younger demographic, so it should be more guided than that. But I don't think it needs to be as limited and guided as it traditionally is. Most screens of a Pokemon game make it very clear where you're supposed to go, by having not much for you to do other than go in that direction. Or wander around in high grass hoping to encounter a Pokemon you want.

If the areas between towns were more open and allowed for more exploration, I think that would be a good development.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

It's a delicate balance but with so many games to play, I drop boring games like a bad habit. Games I've already played tend to get boring much more quickly than new novel experiences.

Ymmv but I felt like a kid all over again while playing botw. No other Zelda game had done that in over a decade, not even the sweet game boy trilogy.

Well, I'd say that Zelda didn't have a good thing going before BOTW because I think TP and SS are kind of bad.

I'll play new classic 2D style Zeldas forever though if they just keep making them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pokemon is already open world :science:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Don't know if this has been posted, but there's a few Switch deals on Amazon right now for Cyber Monday.

Biggest one I got was Dragonball FighterZ for $25, but there's some digital deals, accessories, etc. as well

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Andrast posted:

Derivatives ARE good, yes... but they definitely need to bring something new, good, and necessary to the table. Otherwise, why not play the original work? (EDIT: Ok, maybe I mean 'iterive?')

I haven't played BotW yet, but really want to. I'm definitely sick of 'beat three easy temples, then go beat 6-7 temples that each have a specific tool you need to progress through them, and then you can go and use all of those tools together to handle the final castle' formula from LttP/OoT/WW/TP. Out of all of those, the only two I'd replay would be LttP and WW, and it's despite that formula. The rest of the package, in those two cases, is enough to keep me interested. The music, sound design, the setting, the feel of those two I still love. I couldn't give less of a poo poo if I ever played OoT or TP ever again, and I've never played SS.

Like, there was absolutely zero reason that the first 3 temples or whatever in TP took that goddamned long to beat :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 26, 2018

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

BGrifter posted:

So that Walmart Cyber Monday Switch deal that sold out instantly after appearing for a fraction of a second at 12:02 and 12:04am? A ton of the orders are getting cancelled as unfulfillable.

Walmart Canada is claiming they have no copies of either The Nintendo Switch (both in grey or neon), Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee, or $50 eShop gift cards.

What a shitshow.

That's pretty funny considering there was a deal on Ebay.ca on the 22nd for a Switch @ 329.99 with a coupon for another 10% off so 300$. But the thing survived for like almost 48 hours before being sold out because nobody was buying the thing.

Hope you didn't get burned by Walmart's incompetence, fellow canadian.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Derivatives ARE good, yes... but they definitely need to bring something new, good, and necessary to the table. Otherwise, why not play the original work?

Because a derivative thing is still new even if it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Replaying an old game again isn't the same thing as playing a derivative sequel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Andrast posted:

Because a derivative thing is still new even if it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Replaying an old game again isn't the same thing as playing a derivative sequel.

Fair enough.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
A lot of people focus on originality but it isn't nearly as important as execution. I'd rather have an entirely unoriginal game executed perfectly than something different for different's sake.

See: Blizzard. Well, the old Blizzard anyway.

See also: the entire music industry. Tons if not most pop songs are based entirely around your standard G,C,D chord stuff with E and/or A thrown in sparingly, but we have more of them than any one person could ever listen to and they all vary hugely in quality.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I don't think Pokemon should be an actual open world, like BotW. Pokemon is going for a younger demographic, so it should be more guided than that. But I don't think it needs to be as limited and guided as it traditionally is. Most screens of a Pokemon game make it very clear where you're supposed to go, by having not much for you to do other than go in that direction. Or wander around in high grass hoping to encounter a Pokemon you want.

If the areas between towns were more open and allowed for more exploration, I think that would be a good development.

A game like Let's Go where you pick a region at the start, play through your gym->league progression, and then you just have the rest of the world open to you would be amazing. Maybe allow drop in online multiplayer once you're league champ where you can just run into other people and battle/trade without having to jump through a lot of hoops.

That would take a lot of resources though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sandisk microsd cards are pretty cheap today. 40 bucks for the 256gig is probably the lowest ever.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gripweed posted:

Gal Metal is so great in a bunch of ways. The comic style cutscenes are good, way better than, like, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. The characters are great, the writing is funny, the presentation is fantastic. But the actual music part of the gameplay kills me! It's completely open ended, you can do whatever you want. But there's scoring, so some of the stuff you can do is good and some is bad, and I can't tell the difference! I'm just drumming away and apparently I'm terrible, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or how to improve. The practice mode is useless, since it doesn't actually give you any feedback, like, "you're going too slow!" or something that could be helpful. And you don't even want to practice because every time you practice you lose a chance to upgrade your stats or talk to characters

If I want to get good at Gal Metal I'd have to actually learn how to drum. As a separate activity from playing the game, because the game has very little interest in teaching me how to drum.

But it doesn't matter because your drum playing ability doesn't actually effect your ability to progress through the game. Every ten minutes or so there's a song, I drum terribly, my performance was good enough to clear the song but from the way my score builds up I can tell that to actually fail I'd have to literally just not touch the screen at all, the game says "yeah you sucked at that" and it goes on to the next cutscene

Gal Metal is from an alternate universe where Guitar Hero never existed and the most successful rhythm game of all time is Parappa the Rapper

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I posted about this in the BotW thread but it turns out to be a problem with the joy-cons rather than the game. Wondering if anybody else has encountered this?

The ZL button on my left joy-con sometimes acts as if it's been pressed and held down without being touched, and then won't respond to any further input. Pressing it doesn't register as an input on the controller test screen. Resetting the switch sometimes fixes this but sometimes doesn't, same with docking and undocking the controllers. Seems to happen every 20 minutes or so.

My switch is only about a year old and hasn't been used very heavily, controller's never been bumped or dropped or anything, so I'm wondering this is maybe some obscure software or connection issue instead of hardware.

edit: in the few minutes since making this post the button has stopped working completely so I guess it is a hardware issue!

Hungry fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 26, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

sandisk microsd cards are pretty cheap today. 40 bucks for the 256gig is probably the lowest ever.

I got a 256gb Samsung one for a similar deal last week and got to actually install every Switch game I own. I learned two things: one, wow, I have a lot of great games! Two, I wish there was a way to customize the home screen at all and not have to use the All Games menu at the end. If I want 50 loving icons on my Home menu I should be able to have it, dammit. :colbert:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

You'd be surprised at how gripping open world games are for kids. Minecraft is the most popular example of this, and it's rife with complicated mechanics

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

A lot of people focus on originality but it isn't nearly as important as execution. I'd rather have an entirely unoriginal game executed perfectly than something different for different's sake.

See: Blizzard. Well, the old Blizzard anyway.

See also: the entire music industry. Tons if not most pop songs are based entirely around your standard G,C,D chord stuff with E and/or A thrown in sparingly, but we have more of them than any one person could ever listen to and they all vary hugely in quality.

The best example of this in my opinion was Hollow Knight. Aside from the setting (BUGS) there's nothing really original about the game, but it does it very very well. All the power-ups are your classic Metroidvania things, you don't really get many different attack, or rather the starting slash is practically all you'll ever need. But it's just really well crafted and one of the best games I've played recently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The best example of this in my opinion was Hollow Knight. Aside from the setting (BUGS) there's nothing really original about the game, but it does it very very well. All the power-ups are your classic Metroidvania things, you don't really get many different attack, or rather the starting slash is practically all you'll ever need. But it's just really well crafted and one of the best games I've played recently.

I think the exploration focus and how it approaches getting lost is kind of rare but otherwise I agree

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Spellman posted:

You'd be surprised at how gripping open world games are for kids. Minecraft is the most popular example of this, and it's rife with complicated mechanics

Yeah in my experience adult gamers on video game forums are some of the least knowledgable people when it comes to the way kids think and act, especially in relation to video games

There's a hundred million open world sandbox games with tons and tons of players, most of whom are kids.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My six year old loved the poo poo out of Breath of the Wild because it was open world. He's probably put 200 hours into that game over the last two years without ever beating a single boss. He just loves to wander around and explore and do cool poo poo and cook things.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Spellman posted:

Sure, but that's a sandbox game. You just do whatever. Pokemon games have stories and progression. There has to be something that guides you to the next gym and keeps you from wandering into level 80 Gyarados territory while you're still playing with Pidgeys and Ratatas

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. Minecraft plops you in a random spot on a randomly generated map with no tools, items, and food, and is like "go for it." And it was the most popular "kids" game for the most part of this decade.

Pokemon Let's Go is the best Pokemon game since Gen 5. It's so refreshing. Just the right amount of guidance without being suffocating like the last couple gens.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pokemon Let's Go is the best Pokemon game since Gen 5. It's so refreshing. Just the right amount of guidance without being suffocating like the last couple gens.

Yeah it was honestly really refreshing, especially after Sun/Moon

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I posted this in the thread before, but Blue popping in after you beat Brock and saying something along the lines of "I was about to tell you about gym leaders and how to beat Brock but it looks like you figured it out all on your own..." Was great. It felt like the total opposite of something that would have happened in Sun and Moon.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the part of pokemon rby/lg immediately after getting the pokeflute where you can do most of the tasks left in pretty much any order you want is still one of my favorites in the series. you want your fossil pokemon, you can beeline for surf and go south from pallet. if you're feeling it you can take on the mansion and even blaine right then and there but it'll still be there if you come back later. there are tons of trainers on a bunch of alternate routes you can either take on or skip completely at your own discretion, and you can try for two of the legendary birds as soon as you can reach them.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Don't know if this has been posted, but there's a few Switch deals on Amazon right now for Cyber Monday.

Biggest one I got was Dragonball FighterZ for $25, but there's some digital deals, accessories, etc. as well

Holy poo poo thanks! The Nintendo eShop has a bunch of discounts. DragonZ BallZ FighterZ is 30% on the eShop and its digital only. This is great!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I posted this in the thread before, but Blue popping in after you beat Brock and saying something along the lines of "I was about to tell you about gym leaders and how to beat Brock but it looks like you figured it out all on your own..." Was great. It felt like the total opposite of something that would have happened in Sun and Moon.

Yeah, that was good. Sun and Moon really does treat you like an idiot. I managed Super Metroid when I was like 8, I've got a little more faith in kids these days than the pokemon company apparently does.

edit: ughhhh I have $20 in eshop credit and I don't know what to get

edit: I got Human Fall Flat and Undertale. Guess I'll finally see what all the buzz is about

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 26, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I picked up The Way Remastered a while back for like $2, I finally got around to playing it and verdict is it's fine. I like the aesthetic and music, and the simple platformer gameplay with some puzzles works well to tell the story. However, they throw in more complex platforming, enemies that kill you in one hit, some very obtuse and time wasting puzzels, and a final boss that is a bullet hell segment (in this platforming puzzle game) with some poorly placed checkpoints and it brings the experience down. The story itself is boilerplate sci-fi with a post credit scene that I don't understand what it's referring to, but at least they let you reload at the end and pick a different outime come to see both endings.

Eh, it was worth the $2 but only because it was so cheap and I liked the music a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Danakir posted:

Hope you didn't get burned by Walmart's incompetence, fellow canadian.

Amazon.ca has a Switch and $50 eShop code for $329.99 right now so I’ll just jump on that. Walmart can gently caress right off.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Google Express has 32GB Switch for $309.00, down to $240 using code BF18.
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/6545809037788168477_306495631384529770_46586

GameStop has Switch for $300.00, with a $50 GameStop gift card and a $35 eShop card.
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-s...sold-out/170727

Sold out. Disregard. Sorry.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i just wish rail shooters would come back into fashion in general. they are cool damnit

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rail shooters are alive as ever, but only in VR. They stopped being cool for everything else once we went from light guns to dragging a cursor across a screen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Zas posted:

i just wish rail shooters would come back into fashion in general. they are cool damnit

Preferably the huge arcade ones. Hell I’d probably pop a few quarters into that godawful Aerosmith one where you shoot CDs at terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just want Star Fox 64 but with modern graphics. It's basically just a shoot em up from behind.