Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't think a bipedal dog wearing a tank top with two knives could really blend in very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Send Greater Dog. He’s disarmingly adorable and will brutally murder everyone with ease, like he did to me... seven times in a row :manning:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The monsters know very little about the outside human world, also. Their key sources seem to be

1. Anime
2. The fact that Asriel got murdered when he went out on an apparently totally peaceful mission, with the power of 1 human soul
3. Whatever Chara told them about the outside world
4. Any peaceful interaction they had with the other fallen humans, possibly zero
5. Being genocided hundreds of years ago

Going out of the barrier and doing a diplomatic or even a stealth op really isn't as logical as folks seem to think. If a monster leaves the barrier this is probably the one and only chance - failure may well mean no more fallen humans and no more hope of escape forever. By far the most logical approach is go in guns blazing, kill the first human you see, and acquire a second soul.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Send Greater Dog. He’s disarmingly adorable and will brutally murder everyone with ease, like he did to me... seven times in a row :manning:

it was always mad dummy gave me the most grief

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Speaking of anime, it’s true that’s not real in our world, but in the world of undertale and delta rune where they are monster and magic? Bullet hell battle and jrpg subworld? Anime is real.

Q.E.D. :colbert:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If you could send them as a team their chances of success get MUCH higher: Alphys could act as Mettaton's conscious and help keep him on track and Mettaton could help keep Alphys calm and if they have to go out in public together he could just put her in a backpack and pretend she's a weird doll he bought.

Nah, Mettaton would probably get fed up with Alphys 3/4th of the way through the mission and "change the programming".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Papyrus is also out as he seems incapable of actually killing anyone. Plus he didn't even seem to grasp what was going on as he had no idea what would happen after he actually captured Frisk and delivered them to the capital.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all of which is a moot point because asgore himself is simultaneously too soft to want his plan to succeed or to put a permanent stop to it himself

always thought it was interesting how he constantly took the path of least resistance except, apparently, when it came to just giving up the souls to asriel/flowey

because you know the hellplant must have thrown every twisted trick he had at the guy to get at those souls, sometimes twice

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fangz posted:

The monsters know very little about the outside human world, also. Their key sources seem to be

1. Anime
2. The fact that Asriel got murdered when he went out on an apparently totally peaceful mission, with the power of 1 human soul
3. Whatever Chara told them about the outside world
4. Any peaceful interaction they had with the other fallen humans, possibly zero
5. Being genocided hundreds of years ago

Going out of the barrier and doing a diplomatic or even a stealth op really isn't as logical as folks seem to think. If a monster leaves the barrier this is probably the one and only chance - failure may well mean no more fallen humans and no more hope of escape forever. By far the most logical approach is go in guns blazing, kill the first human you see, and acquire a second soul.

Well, I wasn't totally going for what was the most logical solution, just the most humane one I could come up with. Honestly though the whole plan is pretty much impossible because it relies on outside information that Asgore and the monsters as a whole have no way of obtaining.

That said, I think we can all agree that a tv show were Mettaton and Alphys team up and try to find souls in the human world has great potential to be an amazing comedy.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Nah, Mettaton would probably get fed up with Alphys 3/4th of the way through the mission and "change the programming".

Oh he totally would, probably much sooner than that, but he'd soon feel guilty about it though and come back to her (although he would also probably betray and return to her several times more before the quest was over). Mettaton can only be super awful in a vacuum, the second anyone (be it Napstablook or Alphys or any of his fans in the underworld) reaches out and shows him any kind of genuine respect and love the guy melts and starts going "Oh God what have I done".

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 26, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nyaa posted:

Speaking of anime, it’s true that’s not real in our world, but in the world of undertale and delta rune where they are monster and magic? Bullet hell battle and jrpg subworld? Anime is real.

Q.E.D. :colbert:

Anyone who could make it through the Omega Flowey fight and then tell Undyne that anime isn't real with a straight face has no soul.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You save the world with the power of friendship, anime is real

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

If not, Mad Mew Mew definitely make it real.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

Anyone who could make it through the Omega Flowey fight and then tell Undyne that anime isn't real with a straight face has no soul.

I did that because friends are honest :hai: Most of the time the second dialogue option is the rear end in a top hat/dicking around/P4 protag/BotW Link option.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anime is real because it is in our hearts.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The best plan I've been able to come up with it this: send one of the dogs out with the first human soul

Send Annoying Dog! Whenever a human dies nearby, Annoying Dog just absorbs the soul and shuffles off. Easy as stealing a mysterious artifact from a baby.

Then when Annoying Dog successfully returns with the souls, it will be recognised as the new rightful ruler of the monsters, which is really the best outcome for everybody.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Annoying dog cannot be trusted

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anime isn't real.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

All series you previously thought to be animated are in fact live-action. The Japanese government is pumping you full of drugs to disguise the shameful fact that Korean outsourcing houses unionized decades ago. Anime isn't real. It doesn't exist!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ruffian Price posted:

All series you previously thought to be animated are in fact live-action. The Japanese government is pumping you full of drugs to disguise the shameful fact that Korean outsourcing houses unionized decades ago. Anime isn't real. It doesn't exist!

I guess that means 60% of semi-modern western TV cartoons aren't real either

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am sorry you had to learn the truth about Steven's universe in this way

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
SunMin Image Pictures and Rough Draft Studios' Korean branch are lies we tell ourselves so we can sleep at night

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Honestly I have trouble believing Asgore has killed anyone.

That guy is horrified to see you're there, puts off starting the fight for two or three rooms of dialogue, and then tells you that if you want you can go do anything else for however long you like instead of fighting. This is not a guy who's ready for murder. I think the other souls probably just got picked off by monsters along the way, such as their time's Undyne equivalents. (a monster who was entirely up for killing humans)

Oh, and he destroys the Mercy button because (headcanon) he knows someone has to die and he's willing for it to be him.

Of course he has complicity for ordering the killings, but there's no way this guy has personally killed anyone IMO.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The best plan I've been able to come up with it this: send one of the dogs out with the first human soul (probably greater dog minus his armor since he's the most dog looking dog). Then, once that dog has gathered another soul, have the dog return home with both the old soul and the new soul. Now that there are two souls available thus allowing two monsters to pass through the barrier the dream team of Alphys and Mettaton should be sent out because they'll probably be able to gather the other five souls more safely than any puppy could.

If you can pass off human souls from one monster to another, once you have two souls you can just pass around one of them through the entire monster community, and have one monsyer use the other one to valet it back into the barrier.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
why didn't any flying or climbing monsters just leave through the hole all the kids were falling into

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Probably too attached to the friends they've made and didn't want to leave them behind. Also, maybe the barrier was one-way and once you're in the boundary, you're stuck without the souls? Something silly like that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Barrier allows in, but not out for both human and monster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

why didn't any flying or climbing monsters just leave through the hole all the kids were falling into

And do what?

Wasn't it established monsters are pretty feeble against humans, particularly any that actually want them dead? I guess maybe if one of them took a human soul with them as a boost? Alternatively, maybe the barrier is one-way, and surrounds the mountain in it's entirety. Otherwise they could have just sorta made a tunnel out the other side. Hhumans from the outside were just told not to get anywhere near the main entrance. Or maybe that is how some of them got in?

Now I'm just thinking of how weird a place the underground is, geographically, namely Snowdin is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

geri_khan posted:

Honestly I have trouble believing Asgore has killed anyone.

That guy is horrified to see you're there, puts off starting the fight for two or three rooms of dialogue, and then tells you that if you want you can go do anything else for however long you like instead of fighting. This is not a guy who's ready for murder. I think the other souls probably just got picked off by monsters along the way, such as their time's Undyne equivalents. (a monster who was entirely up for killing humans)

Oh, and he destroys the Mercy button because (headcanon) he knows someone has to die and he's willing for it to be him.

Of course he has complicity for ordering the killings, but there's no way this guy has personally killed anyone IMO.

undyne wasn't really up for it either, she talked a big game but a lot of it was just an attempt to psych herself up for doing the deed (unless you kill papyrus, in which case all bets are off)

i'm of the opinion that asgore 100% offed the last six, because of all the monsters in his kingdom he's the only one who really grasps the stakes of it besides toriel and gerson (who want no part of the whole mess anyway) - all of the monsters' gleeful attitudes towards escape and destroying humanity are just secondhand offshoots of the promise he made, which was probably killing him inside just as much as the whole murdering thing, and most of them don't even recognize what a human is let alone have the guts to go through with hurting one

apropos of nothing, while i'm copacetic with most headcanons, "sans killed the fallen humans" is one of the few that kind of irks me, because it foists one of asgore's major sources of agency onto a character who takes up waaaaay too much oxygen in the game's "lore" as it is

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 26, 2018

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I think the other human dies on stage where their item is located.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nyaa posted:

I think the other human dies on stage where their item is located.

That's always what I kind of assumed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:lol: i'm dying at this

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Best AU of all time

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Asgore is a proper old-school tragic character: A good man who is in a horrible situation that's ultimately of his own making, and unable to get out of it due to his own flaws. That's what makes him interesting in the first place.

As for moral culpability, people seem to make a lot of assumptions that don't seem backed up by what we know. We don't know much of anything about the other humans, or even whether they were kids or adults. We don't even know the circumstances under which they died. Given that even a human child is easily capable of slaughtering their way though the underground you can easily see a scenario where Asgore was perfectly justified in killing the previous humans, much like you can see a scenario where he wasn't. As with so much else in the game it's a question without a definite answer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The way that Toriel talks about not being able to save the others, her immediate desire to protect and mother the random human child she finds(and not let them go any further into the underground), all the leftover kid's shoes she still has, her total disgust towards Asgore... I don't see how the other humans could not have been children. Her character just doesn't make nearly as much sense emotionally otherwise.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Pretty messed up that Toriel stole all the humans' shoes before sending them off into Snowdin.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

IronicDongz posted:

The way that Toriel talks about not being able to save the others, her immediate desire to protect and mother the random human child she finds(and not let them go any further into the underground), all the leftover kid's shoes she still has, her total disgust towards Asgore... I don't see how the other humans could not have been children. Her character just doesn't make nearly as much sense emotionally otherwise.

Aren't she and Asgore immortal? Maybe she just treats all humans like kids :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Asgore and Toriel’s age is somewhere around “Yes”

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

That's making a lot of assumptions. And besides that, Toriel doesn't actually know what happened to the humans or what said humans did or didn't do. She's been cooped up in the ruins without any contact with the rest of the underground long before the rest of the humans started dropping in so all she has to go on is assumption that Asgore killed them in cold blood. For all we know, they might all have been a bunch of murderous bastards and Asgore was perfectly justified in killing them, if he even did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Same reason the non-flying monsters didn't just build a really big ladder or staircase to get out of that hole.....wait, why didn't they just build a really big ladder or staircase?