Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

Have you ever wanted to fly a spaceship? Elite Dangerous is currently 60% off at $11.99 and is the most immersive VR space sim out there. Keep in mind it does not have touch support, and it's best to learn the controls in 2D mode first.

Elite is great, but I've never even launched it in 2D mode and haven't ever had an issue with the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elite is complex, unintuitive, frustrating and also really fun and awe inspiring.

In summary, it’s a game of contrasts

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

nerox posted:

However, I never played Fallout 4, and Fallout VR is 50% off for $30, but then viveport is giving free Fallout 4 VR with with a 3, 6, or 12 month sub, which are $20, $30 and $40 respectively.

Fallout 4 VR is the first time I played the game. It's pretty rough, there's numerous unfixed technical issues with the port and it doesn't run consistently well on literally anything. There's parts of the game where you're going to be in constant reprojection, such as the institute. None of the DLC is included either and although it's possible to mod it in, they're pretty broken and perform even worse than the main game. For free though, it's worth a look.

I've played Skyrim to death too but VR did give it a new lease of life for me. It's in much better shape than Fallout, it's the full game with all the DLC, performs well and most mods work, you're not missing out on anything compared to the flatscreen version like you do with FO4VR.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

homeless snail posted:

You need Rez and Polybius.

Seconding Rez, it's really great.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

iceaim posted:

SweViver officially endorses VorpX in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbnq9xn4ZI

Also if you guys haven't played Pokerstars VR yet then do it. It's free and fun as hell.

I read this as pokéstars and got excited for a Pokemon VR game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SwissCM posted:

Fallout 4 VR is the first time I played the game. It's pretty rough, there's numerous unfixed technical issues with the port and it doesn't run consistently well on literally anything. There's parts of the game where you're going to be in constant reprojection, such as the institute. None of the DLC is included either and although it's possible to mod it in, they're pretty broken and perform even worse than the main game. For free though, it's worth a look.

I've played Skyrim to death too but VR did give it a new lease of life for me. It's in much better shape than Fallout, it's the full game with all the DLC, performs well and most mods work, you're not missing out on anything compared to the flatscreen version like you do with FO4VR.

Skyrim's definitely the better of the two, both in VR and outside of it. At least in Skyrim you can loving swim properly (yes I'm salty what of it)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

nerox posted:

I got an oculus rift on the way that I will have next week. Are there any must have VR games that are in the steam sale or elsewhere that I should go ahead and buy this weekend?

Theres a black friday deal going on right now on the oculus store, taking a quick look the ones that stick out to me personally that are on sale:

I Expect You to Die 40% off, 14.99
Chronos 35% off, 25.99
From Other Suns 25% off, 29.99
Obduction 25% off, 22.50

Theres also a "premium pack" on sale for $100 that includes,
Arizona Sunshine
Gorn
The Climb
Super Hot
Onward
Lone Echo
Eleven Table Tennis

Thats a lot of money, but thats honestly a pretty good deal considering Lone Echo, Arizona Sunshine, and The Climb are each $40 dollars normally on their own, and that not one of those games in the pack is a dud. They're all real stand outs on their own.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I read this as pokéstars and got excited for a Pokemon VR game.

Same. Broke my heart when I re-read and saw it was about the worst card game.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there any way to calibrate where the floor is for the Oculus? When I drop a gun in H3VR I can't pick it up half the time because my sensors are on a desk and can't see the floor. Or in other games like Accounting it thinks the floor is below my physical floor so I literally can't reach stuff.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I thought people mostly bought Skyrim to experience the madness of the mods in FOUR DEE

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Reallycoolname posted:

I thought people mostly bought Skyrim to experience the madness of the mods in FOUR DEE

Wow which one of you fuckers have been hiding all the 4-dimensional headsets from us?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Wow which one of you fuckers have been hiding all the 4-dimensional headsets from us?

Sorry I can't hear you, I'm killing terrorists in Space Skyrim with Ben Franklin.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Orv posted:

Sorry I can't hear you, I'm killing terrorists in Space Skyrim with Ben Franklin.

Note to self: go back in time, murder Ben Franklin, use his 4D headset to become Ben Franklin.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is there any way to calibrate where the floor is for the Oculus? When I drop a gun in H3VR I can't pick it up half the time because my sensors are on a desk and can't see the floor. Or in other games like Accounting it thinks the floor is below my physical floor so I literally can't reach stuff.

There's a specific option to calibrate it in the oculus settings. However, you are still going to have problems because you lose tracking. Get some wall mounts and get your sensors up high on the ceiling and you'll be fine after that.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Note to self: go back in time, murder Ben Franklin, use his 4D headset to become Ben Franklin.

In a stunning turn of events, Ben Franklin never existed. He was just a continuous stream of time travelers killing the previous “Franklin” and taking over the role.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I got the Odyssey+ from that deal, and I'm trying to get it working, and uhh.

The WMR portal won't go past this screen. I've updated the firmware on this thing with Samsung's app, and paired the controllers, and that seemed to work fine? All my drivers appear to be updated, too. But the display won't turn on and... yeah. Did I get a dud or is Windows just being really stupid?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Novasol posted:

The WMR portal won't go past this screen. I've updated the firmware on this thing with Samsung's app, and paired the controllers, and that seemed to work fine? All my drivers appear to be updated, too. But the display won't turn on and... yeah. Did I get a dud or is Windows just being really stupid?

Update your video drivers

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Update your video drivers

They are updated.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In H3VR if you push the joystick down and click it in, it'll shoot out a little beam you can aim at objects to warp them into your hand

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Novasol posted:

They are updated.

have you just tried to install steamvr windows whatever thing for steam and boot steamvr?

Possible roll back of drivers? Like go a version before the current?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

have you just tried to install steamvr windows whatever thing for steam and boot steamvr?

Possible roll back of drivers? Like go a version before the current?

SteamVR isn't detecting the headset, even though windows is. SteamVR seems to think it's a Vive, and then won't start it.

I haven't tried rolling anything back, I guess that's next.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Novasol posted:

SteamVR isn't detecting the headset, even though windows is. SteamVR seems to think it's a Vive, and then won't start it.

I haven't tried rolling anything back, I guess that's next.

You need some Windows 10 creator update to get it working at all, I think. I'm assuming you have it (they pushed it out a while ago) but it's another thing to check.

To get it working on steam you need to download some thing on steam specifically for it, it won't work out of the box.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

You need some Windows 10 creator update to get it working at all, I think. I'm assuming you have it (they pushed it out a while ago) but it's another thing to check.

To get it working on steam you need to download some thing on steam specifically for it, it won't work out of the box.

EDIT: I think he already had it working?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

is the software you wanna install tho.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Novasol posted:

I had that too. Make sure you don't have defer updates set. Or you might have updates flat out disabled. I guess at some point I got so annoyed with updates I completely disabled all updates but in such a way that windows didn't realize anything was wrong. If you do your computer will say you are up to date although you are not. You might have run O&O Shutup 10 and set it so it won't update. When that is true sometimes windows will say you are updated.

In short most likely what is happening is you are NOT updated, however, windows doesn't know that so it thinks you are.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Stick100 posted:

I had that too. Make sure you don't have defer updates set. Or you might have updates flat out disabled. I guess at some point I got so annoyed with updates I completely disabled all updates but in such a way that windows didn't realize anything was wrong. If you do your computer will say you are up to date although you are not. You might have run O&O Shutup 10 and set it so it won't update. When that is true sometimes windows will say you are updated.

In short most likely what is happening is you are NOT updated, however, windows doesn't know that so it thinks you are.

I had deferred an earlier update, but I had installed it in the intervening time. Couldn't get windows to realize it needed updates, so it took a full windows reinstall to get things back in order. At least it works now, and now I get to figure out how to wrangle optimal image quality out of this thing.

I suck at Beat Saber.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

OctaviusBeaver posted:

When you set up your sensors it lets you input your height. Make sure that's correct. But also isn't H3VR on SteamVR? It's more likely to be something to do with that I think.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Novasol posted:

WMR works fine with 1803 and probably also with whatever major version was before that, so that's probably not the issue. Can you try it with a different PC?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

VivePro kit is $200 off for Cyber Monday but I'm not seeing any discounts for the standard version. Is it likely to go on sale for Christmas? I've been waiting a while to get a VR headset so I don't mind waiting a little longer.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

If anyone hasn't played Lone Echo and is interested, its on sale today for the cheapest its ever been, 25% off, $29.99.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I just purchased a HTC Vive, but after updating the firmware on the base stations, one of the base stations in my HTC Vive kit is unresponsive and only shows a faint red status light after a firmware update.

Anyone else have a similar problem? All the other info I've seen refers to a blinking red light, not a steady but very faint one.

Edit: I got it working, I followed this guide, but with one extra step at the end: unplugging it from power then rebooting it normally.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 26, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I updated Windows to 1809 finally and everything is fine, but it din't fix one issue I've been having before that. Some SteamVR games just won't launch into VR / at all.
  • Accounting opens a black window on the desktop and I can hear some sounds, but in VR its' stuck on the Stream loading screen
  • The Lab just opens a window with a list of games on the desktop, but clicking them does nothing
  • Nvidia's funhouse is also gets stuck on the loading screen
  • Probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. But most SteamVR games work fine, like In Death or Onward.
Accounting actually works (or worked, and very slowly) on my laptop with the same headset (Odyssey), but it never did on my main desktop machine. Has anyone experienced this?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I updated Windows to 1809 finally and everything is fine, but it din't fix one issue I've been having before that. Some SteamVR games just won't launch into VR / at all.
  • Accounting opens a black window on the desktop and I can hear some sounds, but in VR its' stuck on the Stream loading screen
  • The Lab just opens a window with a list of games on the desktop, but clicking them does nothing
  • Probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. But most SteamVR games work fine, like In Death or Onward.
Accounting actually works (or worked, and very slowly) on my laptop with the same headset (Odyssey), but it never did on my main desktop machine. Has anyone experienced this?

I use a different wmr headset and haven't experienced that as far as I recall, and I have played the lab and accounting+. Are you in the steamvr beta branch, or the wmr for steam vr beta branch? Try messing around with those settings. Also, are you starting them from the steam desktop window, or from within steam vr? I always start from steam vr home

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Is the vive wireless adapter worth it?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

In the end, VR was saved. Not by the AAA nor the indie devs as many thought it might be, but instead by horny animes.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-25/spice-and-wolf-vr-anime-meets-crowdfunding-goal-in-2-hours/.139938

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DontMindMe posted:

Is the vive wireless adapter worth it?

Thread people are saying it can often be a bit flaky, so I'm waiting out for a sale. Hopefully the firmware will be a little better by then, or at the very least I get it cheaper.

nerox
May 20, 2001
My Rift came in and whenever I play something, the screen will go black after a few minutes and the game will crash :(

edit: I moved around USB ports, rebooted, and update video drivers and something in all that made it work.

nerox fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 27, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

mobby_6kl posted:

Try changing your monitor resolution to like 720 and back again and launch the game again.

Actually, if you have anything above 1920 x 1080 resolution you will need to set it to 1080 for wmr to work anyway.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Harminoff posted:

Try changing your monitor resolution to like 720 and back again and launch the game again.

Actually, if you have anything above 1920 x 1080 resolution you will need to set it to 1080 for wmr to work anyway.

Is that new? I’ve used an acer WMR headset on my PC and I never changed away from 1440p desktop resolution and everything worked fine.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, that doesn't sound kosher. I'm running 2x 4k monitors and don't have to adjust the resolution at all when I'm using my Lenovo Explorer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oh strange, that's what I gathered doing some research.

Doing that first thing did resolve that issue for me however.