Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

is spirit of sanada like SW4.5 or more like an expansion to 4 or something else entirely?

It's basically an extreme legends style expansion that doesn't connect to the base game due to some patent lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's me, the Naotora liker

Naotora is fun to actually play, she just drags out fights for no good reason if she's an enemy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fauxtool posted:

Are we ever getting another sengoku basara in english? that was the best warriors game

Nah, Capcom USA said outright some years ago that they were done. They tried really hard with Samurai Heroes and it didn't work.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean i bought it, but i have never met anyone else who did

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I imported one of the newer ones for PS4 and it’s a huge hassle to use translation guides for everything RIP Basara

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I tried the PS3 one and it felt worse to play than DW3

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are you sure you didnt play nothing and are actually a crazy person?

The smoothness of the combat and the character progression beyond gaining more strong attacks was one of the major selling points for me.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Fauxtool posted:

is spirit of sanada like SW4.5 or more like an expansion to 4 or something else entirely?

Are we ever getting another sengoku basara in english? that was the best warriors game

It's its own thing, but on the SW4 engine. More story-driven than recent games, but gameplay is pretty similar. I enjoyed it enough, especially if you can snag it for $20 or so.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Any time she shows up I die inside

Same, but not just in All-Stars.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

It's me, the Naotora liker

gomen nasai

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

are you sure you didnt play nothing and are actually a crazy person?

The smoothness of the combat and the character progression beyond gaining more strong attacks was one of the major selling points for me.

Well it was a demo so there was no progression, but I dunno. It just felt really awful.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well it was a demo so there was no progression, but I dunno. It just felt really awful.

im not saying you should try it again but understand that the different characters play vastly different from each other. You may have been given one of the bad characters which is their fault not yours. One of the main characters, hes yellow and he punches i remember as feeling particularly slow and unfun compared to anyone with a bow or gun. He later becomes one of the strongest at killing officers but man hes bad to start

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Oh yeah, that's Ieyasu Tokugawa and he's awesome once he has all of his moves. When you make him put on his hood with the taunt button, his attacks get buffed to hell as long as the wind from his punches doesn't knock it off. Samurai Heroes is a good-rear end game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really enjoyed Samurai Heroes, played it to 100% over the course of like 300+ hours one year as a white noise game I played between actual big important games. I enjoyed how every character was unique and had their own character-action style moveset that typically had unique mechanics you could play around with, so it never got boring playing different characters because hey this one had something different!

Sometimes I think about importing SB4 Sumeragi for PS4 then I look at the translation guide and see that Capcom made it as flowery and visually as indecipherable as possible for foreign markets, then quickly abandon that idea.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Samuai Heroes also has the best soundtrack out of any of the musou-style games I've played.

It's so loving good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that people dont really buy warriors games like they do other genres and the people who do can tolerate some really lovely games. Almost none of the reviews seem to be from people who actually like these game. All the reviews say stuff like I dont like these games but other people do so 2/5 i guess?

Sengoku Basara really was awesome, its one of the 3 or 4 non mmo games that I have ever put over a 100 hours into.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
They are not mainstream and the improvements are minimal (or regressive with DW9) - so the reviews tend to be poor. That said, games like Call of Duty get a pass just because they are mainstream.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I blame the garbage-fire that was Devil Kings for ruining SB's rep in the West. A few hours into it, my reaction was simply, "gently caress this game." and turned it off and never looked back. I almost didn't get Samurai Heroes because of it, but I'm glad I did.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

It's basically an extreme legends style expansion that doesn't connect to the base game due to some patent lawsuit.

Go on, tell us more!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Go on, tell us more!

I think it was alongs the lines of: some other company, Capcom or Konami, had patents on 'game expansions', and won a lawsuit against Koei/Tecmo Koei using them. And ever since then they've done what should be expansions as their own standalone games.

If not for that, versions like Kingdoms and Xtreme Legends would likely just be DLC expanding the primary game. And they try to get a bit of that in with the save-transfer features in the games.

It's of course super dumb, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could turn them into DLC nowadays without any fuss. (But they probably won't, since this is significantly more profitable. )

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
They ultimately didn't lose, actually, but Capcom did sue K-T and those games were released during the legal process.

Technically, they could go right back to making those traditional expasions now.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Am I one of the few people who actually enjoyed the original Devil Kings? It was cheesier than even DW and the combat was a fresh new take on the genre.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

moush posted:

Am I one of the few people who actually enjoyed the original Devil Kings? It was cheesier than even DW and the combat was a fresh new take on the genre.

Sengoku Basara is great. :colbert:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cernunnos posted:

Sengoku Basara is great. :colbert:

it also has better/worse j-rock intro videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6yHcTrZFbs

gently caress yeah flying robo samurai

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Keeshhound posted:

Samuai Heroes also has the best soundtrack out of any of the musou-style games I've played.

It's so loving good.

And now my blood is on fire, thanks.

Goddamn, this soundtrack was just the loving best.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Kind of minor in the grand scheme, but I enjoyed that Capcom wasn't afraid to make more than half of the cast pretty much unambiguously evil, either; Koei and Omega Force are always trying to make it an "everyone is trying to do what they think is best!" and Basara's just like "... nah, they're pretty much all dicks, and the ones who aren't are mostly idiots. gently caress your idealism."

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Looking for a good Dynasty warriors game for couch coop on PS4 - apparently DW9 is awful and latest warriors Orochi is pretty average?

Is DW8 any good? Would it look blurry as hell on a 4K TV?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Basara's version of Keiji Maeda is cool as hell because the concept of taunting for like a minute leading to his super smacking enemies about 25 more times than normal was extremely my poo poo.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

MinistryofLard posted:

Looking for a good Dynasty warriors game for couch coop on PS4 - apparently DW9 is awful and latest warriors Orochi is pretty average?

I can't say how it would look on a 4K TV, but DW8 Complete is excellent and has enough content to keep you busy for a good while.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So uhhh... anybody remember details from Dynasty Warriors 4 particularly well?

Cause I have no idea what the gently caress just killed me.

I'm playing Xu Chang, Shu side. Normal difficulty. I'm playing as Pang Tong. His defense isn't maxed out, but I've got a decent Tortoise amulet equipped. I'm almost at the end of the level. 4 officers left: Cao Cao, Dian Wei, Sima Yi, and Pang De.

I take out Dian Wei, and am getting ready to go after Sima Yi next, hoping to drag him away from his hug-buddy Cao C-.....I was at full health, why am I suddenly at red health

What just took off 95% of my max health in one hit

Why am I dead.

What the unholy gently caress just hit me?

EDIT: Like, seriously, there were no melee guys swinging at me, it sounded like an archer hit, but I've been getting pegged by those fuckers all map, they didn't do 90% of my max health in one go.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 26, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think I remember Pang Tong dying by cutscene on a certain map in DW4, I wonder if you are playing as him on that map, you just take a big hit?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

I wouldn't say 9 is completely awful, but it's uh..pretty different and not everyone is gonna gel with what they tried.

That said! There's a trial available for PS4, and there's also one for DW8 Empires, so you can see how it'll look for you, even though you'd probably wanna go with Complete. WO3U is on PS4 as well, for what that's worth. I haven't tried 4 yet.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

So uhhh... anybody remember details from Dynasty Warriors 4 particularly well?

Cause I have no idea what the gently caress just killed me.

I'm playing Xu Chang, Shu side. Normal difficulty. I'm playing as Pang Tong. His defense isn't maxed out, but I've got a decent Tortoise amulet equipped. I'm almost at the end of the level. 4 officers left: Cao Cao, Dian Wei, Sima Yi, and Pang De.

I take out Dian Wei, and am getting ready to go after Sima Yi next, hoping to drag him away from his hug-buddy Cao C-.....I was at full health, why am I suddenly at red health

What just took off 95% of my max health in one hit

Why am I dead.

What the unholy gently caress just hit me?

EDIT: Like, seriously, there were no melee guys swinging at me, it sounded like an archer hit, but I've been getting pegged by those fuckers all map, they didn't do 90% of my max health in one go.
At a guess, multiple archers hit you in very quick succession and Pang Tong has lovely base health. You mention the Tortoise Amulet but standard defense and bow defense are two different things in this and DW3, which is real loving dumb since you'll need two items to fully improve defence against all mooks (and then yet another item is needed if you like roaming around on Shadow Runner). So yeah, several archers pinged you at once and you didn't have Nanman Armor equipped, which sounds like a lousy cop-out excuse but unless there's some sort of secret boulder attack going on with one such boulder landing right on your loving head, that's all I can really put it down to. Else it was Cao Cao shooting you a death glare.

What really surprises me is that this happened on Normal. Even taking the above into account, that's still an excessive amount of damage which I can't really explain.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think I remember Pang Tong dying by cutscene on a certain map in DW4, I wonder if you are playing as him on that map, you just take a big hit?
That's Chengdu/Luo Castle, so not this map. If you're playing as him, all that happens is 'generic archer ambush', although if Blaze's story is anything to go by then it might as well be 'Death by Cutscene' anyway :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm honestly convinced something glitched out. It sounded like a single archer hit - no bit string of thumps, not one excessively loud one from them all hitting at the same time, just "thunk" and suddenly I'm at red health. And I did, in fact, have the Nanman armor equipped, in addition to the Tortoise amulet. I haven't unlocked many rare items on this file, and the ones I have generally aren't worth using (with the exception of the Way of Musou, but I'm not a big fan of that one, personally), so with Pang Tong's huge inventory, I get to load up on the regular items.

I'm just imagining Cao Cao getting salty that I'm playing as Pang Tong, but skipped the Luo Castle map, so he pulled out a friggin' Sniper Rifle or something. "Zhang Ren sends his regards." *BANG, BANG*

But yeah, the most likely explanation is a glitch. Cao Cao has a few bodyguards with what I refer to as the "Fuzzy Field of Death" aura, but they're all horse-bound melee troops.

EDIT: But yeah, I would recommend DW8 Complete as well. I picked it up on Steam a while back, and have over 200 hours logged on there, and I haven't even gone after most characters' special weapons. Empires is neat, but I personally dislike it when they don't do an english dub. (though I'll admit, the dub we got with 9 kinda feels like a Monkey's Paw wish...)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 26, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm just imagining Cao Cao getting salty that I'm playing as Pang Tong, but skipped the Luo Castle map, so he pulled out a friggin' Sniper Rifle or something. "Zhang Ren sends his regards." *BANG, BANG*

Sudden inexplicable Orochi interference leaving Nobunaga and his musket divisions filling in for Cao Cao's shift.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On another note, MFW an AI ally officer gets 50 kills before I do. Same character, same stage. But to be fair, I've been running around Officer hunting, not racking up kills. Pang Tong is fun, but the fact is, he really is terrible offensively outside of his Musou. All of his good area-hitting attacks are way too easy for a single peon to interrupt you out of, or before you can get to them.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

otoh hes like the only cool guy in shu

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

he is the opposite of cool, in fact he is extremely hot

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
gentlemen gentlemen, please, you're both right

I also like that his voice actor has stuck around for so long, like Cao Cao's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Davincie posted:

i don't see a single mention of wei yan on this page so idk what you're talking about