Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

RangerPL posted:

Is OBIS SE still a bloated mess like the oldrim version was?

Dunno, I run it anyway. I finally got a stable skyrim running OBIS/Sands of Time/Genesis/Realistic Patrols. Had to remove "immersive creatures".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RangerPL posted:

Is OBIS SE still a bloated mess like the oldrim version was?

Their website wouldn't let me make an account to download CKSE so maybe something's hosed on their end

Yes, but that's sort of the point? What do you really mean by bloated?

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Kiggles posted:

Yes, but that's sort of the point? What do you really mean by bloated?

The OP of this thread unrecommends it for feature creep, I was wondering if there's a new opinion on that

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I was playing with OBIS on Oldrim the last time around and sure, there were a lot of different bandit types and maybe there didn't need to be, but I didn't really notice anything that really annoyed or bothered me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is the consensus on Immersive Citizens still to avoid it? I don't really remember what the vanilla AI is like but I can't say I've been impressed with the weird conflict behaviours or the way everyone in any given city likes to pop out of the same door and scream at me, and also that happening in the game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Don't mean to alarm y'all but this thread probably needs a new OP.

Or to shift to the wiki so the big period efforts of making a whole OP isn't relevant maybe.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Don't mean to alarm y'all but this thread probably needs a new OP.

Or to shift to the wiki so the big period efforts of making a whole OP isn't relevant maybe.

That sounds like something somebody too lazy to make a new OP would say. :colbert:

Also OBIS is garbage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

That sounds like something somebody too lazy to make a new OP would say. :colbert:

:discourse:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Also OBIS is garbage.

What specifically do you not like about it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is all from the last time I used it which was a few years ago:

• It was severely unbalanced. Some of the new bandit types would one shot you when you were one-shotting the rest of the encounter, and I usually like stuff like that.
  • It was broken and literally missing files for the facemasks they included. I don't know if they ever fixed it.
  • It was sloppy as gently caress, adding the really valuable book of new bandit types to the inventory of every bandit.
  • The mod promised that the bandits would be Organized (hence OBIS Organized Bandits of Skyrim.) I took this to mean some camps would have this type of bandit, while others would have that type, but from my experience they were just added willy-nilly wherever in bandit camps.

All of this added up to a mod that was just not fun to play with. In addition, I tend to take the kind of carelessness I could tell just from playing with the mod to mean there are probably deeper problems with the scripts and such.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I kinda liked the extra bandit types that were added, but I never activated the mod or let the scripts run. It's been a while but I was running into compatibility issues with some other group of mods and turned a bunch off, including OBIS.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

This is all from the last time I used it which was a few years ago:

• It was severely unbalanced. Some of the new bandit types would one shot you when you were one-shotting the rest of the encounter, and I usually like stuff like that.
  • It was broken and literally missing files for the facemasks they included. I don't know if they ever fixed it.
  • It was sloppy as gently caress, adding the really valuable book of new bandit types to the inventory of every bandit.
  • The mod promised that the bandits would be Organized (hence OBIS Organized Bandits of Skyrim.) I took this to mean some camps would have this type of bandit, while others would have that type, but from my experience they were just added willy-nilly wherever in bandit camps.

All of this added up to a mod that was just not fun to play with. In addition, I tend to take the kind of carelessness I could tell just from playing with the mod to mean there are probably deeper problems with the scripts and such.

I didn't run into issues with the facemasks so I assume they fixed that, and I don't think the book that drops was amazingly valuable last time I played (and it certainly didn't drop from every bandit, though it did come up fairly regularly). But yeah, the others are fair enough points. (I definitely had issues with bandits being stupidly powerful though I could never tell if it was OBIS, Revenge of the Enemies, or some crazy alchemy between the two).

Anyway, I don't know that I'll bother with it again, I was just curious because I didn't see anything to provoke the vehement responses it was getting.

I do assume that the completely hilarious bug I got where bandits I was mind-controlling with Illusion magic became so loyal that they actually wrote me into their wills was down to OBIS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I can't get FNIS to recognize my Skyrim VR install after buying a legit copy on Steam and transferring my entire MO2 setup over to it. It keeps just showing question marks instead of a real version.

Really want to get Deadly Mutilation working in VR. Someone pulled the converted mod before it was pulled off the Nexus, so I have it and the body mod it works with, but they all rely on XP32 which in turn needs FNIS to do anything. :argh:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I can vouch for the facemasks being broken. I can load the same mod order with the same save file and sometimes they work, sometimes theyjust dont show, and sometimes they have the neon purple missing texture. :iiam:

Personally though, I like and still use OBIS because between wildcat, morrowloot, and Ordinator they end up being the least HP bloated enemies that are still challenging. Being a good option for a fight from level 1 until I get to the breaking point of levels/skills wherein only Vampire Lord's and Draugr Deathlords pose any threat.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

docbeard posted:

I do assume that the completely hilarious bug I got where bandits I was mind-controlling with Illusion magic became so loyal that they actually wrote me into their wills was down to OBIS.

Okay this actually owns though

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

I need to give an illusion mage/assassin a shot. I never went heavy into illusion, ever, and ordinator makes it seem like it would be the best for my "Fine clothing walking around dude" build.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Add "Vampire" to that list, since Vampirism boosts both stealth and illusion. I recommend Better Vampires for Vampiric improvement.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I need to give an illusion mage/assassin a shot. I never went heavy into illusion, ever, and ordinator makes it seem like it would be the best for my "Fine clothing walking around dude" build.

Ordinator + Apocalypse Spells gives some great choice there.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's actually really great fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah apocalypse is full of neat spells.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Forgotten Magic Redone has some really cool spells. They are divided up in a kind of open class based system. Use a spell to gain experience with it, level it up to get up to 5 perks for it, and as you master spells from a class you can invest into an affinity for those class of spells to improve them all.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Add the Bound Armor mod and mostly use Conjuration, so you can be the VIP in the back of the party not doing much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I vaguely remember that even when putting perks into illusion my spells were never high enough level to affect anything but the most harmless dreg enemies. Can't even remember what mods I was using at the time though

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

the thing about non-SPERG illusion is that it's heavily perk locked. Every time you can put a perk into Illusion, you must spend that perk point on illusion to stay viable. Dual-Casting and Fortify Illusion potions are also de rigueur.

Fun fact: Fortify (Magic School) potions do not function identically to the identically named enchantments. Enchantments only affect spell cost. Potions affect spell cost and magnitude/power.

Apocalypse Magic's illusion spells are top-notch. Ghostwalk is essential. Reave is amazing.

Edit: THe best way to get illusion skill levels is the Muffle spell.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 27, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bony tony posted:

Add the Bound Armor mod and mostly use Conjuration, so you can be the VIP in the back of the party not doing much.

Omg didn't even know that existed. Definitely giving Illusion a try with a mix of assassin and conjuration next.

Apocapypse has some very nifty sounding spells and ordinator definitely makes some interesting design choices - assuming they work well. Sounds like you can be a nightmare for your enemies.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't think bound armor is on the nexus anymore. I'll throw it up on the old Google drive tonight.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The only problem with Apocalypse illusion is that Ghostwalk is good, and Whispers is good, but there's still this gulf where there isn't anything that usable in Apprentice so you have to grind through about 20 levels by spamming Ghostwalk. (You can Recital Muffle but honestly any use of Ocato's Recital is cheating and it's the biggest problem with Apocalypse in general, but at least it's just one single spell.)

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Once you master Illusion, you basically have all the perk points you could need, provided you have enough to cast Harmony after making illusion legendary. Hit a nice crowded city, cast Harmony a few times, when you get to 100 again, legendary and repeat.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This is Bound Armor, and I think this should work.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks a bunch, I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.

Agents are GO! posted:

Add "Vampire" to that list, since Vampirism boosts both stealth and illusion. I recommend Better Vampires for Vampiric improvement.

I was tempted to get BV but I got Sacro first and enjoy it so far. do they play well together?

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 28, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
edit :failed edit

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thanks a bunch, I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.

I was tempted to get BV but I got Sacro first and enjoy it so far. do they play well together?

I've tried both, and I prefer BV. Sacrosanct is a bit more understated, and honestly a bit more balanced. BV is, IMHO, more fun though. With BV you can assassinate people by draining them dry.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I can see if I can find a link, but when I did an Illusion playthrough I really enjoyed a mod that changed illusions spells to be hitscan instead of projectiles.

Also, overall I've found my biggest problem with magic is that with Apocalypse and Ordinator, Alteration is just flat out the best magic skill.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

Also, overall I've found my biggest problem with magic is that with Apocalypse and Ordinator, Alteration is just flat out the best magic skill.

Alteration with those is basically my go-to - and yes I do cheat with Ocato for fleshspells only though. Building bridges, deep storage, paralise and imprison spells, dangerous path is also pretty funny. About to get destroyed by a deathlord's 2 handed swing? summon a wall, etc...

Good stuff.

Agents are GO! posted:

I've tried both, and I prefer BV. Sacrosanct is a bit more understated, and honestly a bit more balanced. BV is, IMHO, more fun though. With BV you can assassinate people by draining them dry.

Sweet, never tried BV so I'll give it a run. That last part sounds practical too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Honestly, the combination of the free low level spells perk and dualcasting the channeled movement speed is my favourite thing about Ord+Apocalypse. Zoooooom!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

Honestly, the combination of the free low level spells perk and dualcasting the channeled movement speed is my favourite thing about Ord+Apocalypse. Zoooooom!

I never thought about dual-casting it. That sounds like a lot of fun :)

Drop zone is also top notch almost all game long. You can do fun stunts with Whirlwind Sprint -> Land in the circle

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sweet, never tried BV so I'll give it a run. That last part sounds practical too.

It is, especially since you "level up" your vampirism through feeding.

Also you can turn NPCs into vampires. I turned everyone in Fort Dawnguard into a vampire.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Nasgate posted:

...when I did an Illusion playthrough I really enjoyed a mod that changed illusions spells to be hitscan instead of projectiles.

I was using Aetherial Veins for this, which also did it for re-animation spells and had a couple other effects. It seems to have disappeared for SSE, but an Oldrim version is still out on Nexus.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys, I am setting up a Skyrim install to play for the first time. I have read through the OP and some other materials.

I'm wondering if I should use the special edition or the legendary edition, and also if the special edition needs ENBoost or not? I was planning to get most of the mods I want from the steam workshop (SKSE, SkyUI, USLEEP, etc) and use LOOT to set up the load order. Does that sound about right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Special Edition, Special Edition, always Special Edition. No ENBoost.