Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

After sinking hours into two different FTB mods that use EnderIO I finally went ahead and built a Crafter + Storage.

Loving them so much since and as there are apparently ways to hook them up to a storage drawer controller that is going to be my next project after turning my crafter into a ladder factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

e2: For some reason, my skyblock spawners never seem to produce tons of monsters. I'm lucky if I get a spider every 15 minutes.

For mob spawners, you want the main spawning area to be between 24 and 32 blocks away from the area where you spend most of your time. Mobs won't spawn at all between 0-24 blocks away from a player, and at more than 32 blocks, they stop pathing and have a chance to despawn. What I usually do is build a 24-block tall drop chute, then a platform on top of that. Obviously this design sucks for spiders, though.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

As someone with a good set of bonsai trees, what the hell do I do with all those sticks?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Heffer posted:

As someone with a good set of bonsai trees, what the hell do I do with all those sticks?

Trash, or stirling generator fuel if you abhor waste

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Why not play Not The Bees if you want a bee-learning experience? It even has a new hex-world option.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Heffer posted:

Dispose of them with Botania endoflames.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Black Pants posted:

Why not play Not The Bees if you want a bee-learning experience? It even has a new hex-world option.

I'm amazed that even a modpack of its size took ~10 minutes to load up. Jesus.

That said, I really like the idea of modpacks centered around learning a singular mod. There's one I found for TiCon - let's hope it's good!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 26, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm amazed that even a modpack of its size took ~10 minutes to load up. Jesus.

That said, I really like the idea of modpacks centered around learning a singular mod. There's one I found for TiCon - let's hope it's good!
What's it called? I like the one-mod-tutorial packs too.

fake edit: It's interesting to compare the bees skyblocks to, say, the basic Botania GoG skyblock. Even as a single-mod experience, Botania didn't feel anywhere near this tedious. Probably because Botania doesn't require anywhere near as much waiting.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

fake edit: It's interesting to compare the bees skyblocks to, say, the basic Botania GoG skyblock. Even as a single-mod experience, Botania didn't feel anywhere near this tedious. Probably because Botania doesn't require anywhere near as much waiting.

Bees are like Environmental Tech for generating materials, except instead of building an expensive multiblock that you feed RF into, it's cheap single blocks that you feed boredom into

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i do like that there is an apiary minecart though, so you can load the jungle poison bees into it and send it far away to work

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey KingLemming, not sure how often you read this thread, but I have a simple question. I'm kicking around an idea in my head of a redstone control mod, and I'm curious if it's at all feasible for a separate mod to plug into the redstone system of thermal dynamics. What I would like to do is to connect a duct that has redstone relays on its network, and be able to read/write to all 16 channels via that block. Is there an API like that, or would it be feasible to create one?

Basically I want to create something similar to Programmable Rednet Controller from MFR, but I'm not excited about the idea of making a whole new cabling system (like MFR had), both because it's a big technical workload, and also because so many already exist. Thermal Dynamics is obviously the most ubiquitous mod that provides this functionality, so it would be rad to hook into it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It really wasn't. Seemed to just put TiCon and related mods together and dump you in the middle of a world. No guidance or anything, even though it called itself a mod to teach yourself TiCon. Laaaame.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pollyanna posted:

It really wasn't. Seemed to just put TiCon and related mods together and dump you in the middle of a world. No guidance or anything, even though it called itself a mod to teach yourself TiCon. Laaaame.

That would be kind of fun to come up with a script for a puzzle-type modpack that uses a pre-generated world with a bunch of tasks and chests set up - but with the goal of teaching you all the little tips and tricks of how TiCon works.

E.g. here's a wooden pickaxe, and an obsidian pickaxe head. Put your pickaxe in the Tool Forge, add the new pickaxe head, now you've upgraded it, go break that iron block to proceed!

Here's a broken pickaxe, and a Sharpening Kit of the same material. Use the Kit to repair the tool without access to a tool forge, great for repairing on the go!

Lots of these things I've just picked up from watching streamers, and I imagine there's some things I don't know.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Huh. So you can put the Creative Flux Capacitor from Draconic Evolution (recipe viable via Avaritia) into a Mekanism Induction Matrix and what ever it's capacity is (such as 500 million RF) that's how much it now puts out per tick.

That's neat.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Without using UU Matter is there any known way of converting RF to EMC? I'm at the stage in Stoneblock where I have a poo poo ton of power but I need catalysts for the endgame Avarita stuff.

I have the usual emerald farms with the watch of flowing time and a couple of MK3 power flowers but it seems a shame that I have disgusting amounts of RF I'm not really doing anything with.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

AceClown posted:

Without using UU Matter is there any known way of converting RF to EMC? I'm at the stage in Stoneblock where I have a poo poo ton of power but I need catalysts for the endgame Avarita stuff.

I have the usual emerald farms with the watch of flowing time and a couple of MK3 power flowers but it seems a shame that I have disgusting amounts of RF I'm not really doing anything with.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question properly but can't you use all that RF to produce stuff that's worth EMC? Like, run a MFR laser drill and just convert the products to EMC?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

A straight up RF to EMC mod would be nice. One coal is, what, 128 emc? And can make 22,000 RF in a solid fuel generator?

So 171 RF per 1 EMC? Seems too low once you get into better power supplies. How much RF can a single Yellorium Ingot make assuming 850% fuel efficiency?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

A straight up RF to EMC mod would be nice. One coal is, what, 128 emc? And can make 22,000 RF in a solid fuel generator?

So 171 RF per 1 EMC? Seems too low once you get into better power supplies. How much RF can a single Yellorium Ingot make assuming 850% fuel efficiency?

Yellorium is usually about 4500EMC per ingot but it's really difficult to pinpoint how much RF you can get from a single ingot, most packs mess with fuel values from reactors and a quick google isn't being helpful.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

From memory I think you could make about 4 million RF per Yellorium Ingot using 1x power and fuel setting.

That's using a Big Reactor that's passively cooled, no steam turbines.

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

So I might just have to restore my save from backups,which is going to be like 3 hours of mining/processing down the tube but can anyone help with this situation?

I drowned in an oil fountain and my grave sank to the bottom. Tried buckets and putting a block at the top of the fountain to cut it off but had no luck. Is there any way to get my items out of there, even if it means removing the fountain?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Tofuslob posted:

So I might just have to restore my save from backups,which is going to be like 3 hours of mining/processing down the tube but can anyone help with this situation?

I drowned in an oil fountain and my grave sank to the bottom. Tried buckets and putting a block at the top of the fountain to cut it off but had no luck. Is there any way to get my items out of there, even if it means removing the fountain?

You mean those things that are a big underground sphere cave full of oil?

Does the modpack include Modular Power Suits? That has water breathing, Mekanism has scoober gear too I think?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ak Gara posted:

You mean those things that are a big underground sphere cave full of oil?

Does the modpack include Modular Power Suits? That has water breathing, Mekanism has scoober gear too I think?

Totem mod can do a water-breathing ritual for 3 mins of waterbreathing

Can you mine down parallel to it, and carefully access it from the side/fill in some blocks with dirt to replace the fluid

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Actually Additions, which is in just about every pack, has a ring of water breathing. I've never used it, but that might work as well.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Would one of those water / lava absorbing wands work?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Drop sand to make a shaft?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tofuslob posted:

The "fountain" is just a bunch of source blocks in midair. It marks the start of a pillar of source blocks that go down a ways then ends at a big sphere of more oil source blocks. The problem is you can't swim in oil, so you have to go dig down somewhere near the oil sphere and then horizontally into the sphere to find your grave, wherever it is. Note: graves don't sink, the mod just tries to place it on solid ground near where you died.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

You can't swim in oil? I didn't know that. I've always rushed flight.

Either Morph mod or Modular Power Suits or Wings of the Bat. Being groundbound is so ...ugh.

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

Cheers. I'll give those a go when I get home and hopefully will get it out

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Missed a good "Creepers in the trees" opportunity.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah they come to snuff the rooster

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

we're through the looking glass now, folks

Tofuslob
Jul 9, 2013

Holy lol the "footsteps" really makes that.

Also it turned out I just had to drain the oil :doh:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Ok I have had an idea for a while but not quite sure how to do the protection part in a mod.

Risk Factions:
You have a central Chunk where you build your single generation altar it will produce 75 claim blocks per minecraft day.
You can merge claim blocks into 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x 8x (similar to compressed cobblestone)
Every Claim block placed anywhere in the chunk gives it power and other players cannot do anything in that chunk unless they have more claim blocks in adjacent chunks in which case every claim block they place in your chunk removes theirs and yours in equal amount until all your claim blocks are gone and the other player can then take ownership of the chunk, The generation altar = 1000 claim blocks.

TL;DR; = Faction Mod that works like Risk.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Whalley posted:

I hate how so many fuckin modpacks make Immersive Engineering your "stage zero" tech mod. It's just "grind for a coke oven, wait, grind for a blast furnace, wait, then move on."

I want to play a pack where this mod, which forces you to wait forever, is either mid or endgame. Make treated wood difficult, but make the power gen for the windmill/water wheel way high. Let the big-rear end crusher that requires a bunch of resources triple production. I just get so loving tired of this being where you have to start, because I tend to skip more than half the mod because of its resource requirements and when I can afford the bits I skipped, I've got smaller and faster machines that do the same job better with less lag.

I like IE, but I don't think anyone should be forced to use it. I think people should be able to play with just IE, just TE, or some mix of both. The same goes for EnderIO and all other tech mods IMO. I like the idea of different mods interacting with and augmenting each other. But each one should also be playable on its own.

I like the idea of being able to make steel in the induction smelter instead of the blast furnace as a way for TE to make IE easier. I like the idea of the garden cloche being able to mass produce wheat for grassoline before you get access to the phytogenic insolator. I also like the idea of being able to make dark steel in the smeltery or electrical steel in the alloy kiln. The ingredients needed to make the stuff doesn't change, but I like the idea that you can choose what machine/mod to use make the finished product. Heck I think it would be cool if you could make marble from limestone in the blast furnace as a way to make Astral Sorcery a bit easier.

I feel that IE is something of a special case. It is very under powered compared to most other tech mods. A lot of people don't like it for that reason. Personally I love IE's aesthetics, but I do think it needs some cost reduction and quality of life improvements. I do not feel it needs an increase in "power". What I did was remove transmission loss from its wires, replace all the terracotta with bricks (single bricks, not the block) when crafting wire connectors and wire relays, and doubled the yield of the wire coil, wire connector, and wire relay recipes. I also increased the power output of the windmill, water wheel, and thermoelectric generator a fair bit and doubled the yield of the fluid pipe recipe. IE still isn't "powerful" by any means, but its easier to use than it was before.

I like the idea of making the crusher triple ore, its not really an early game machine the way that the pulverizer, crusher, or smeltery (assuming you find lava somewhere and have a river nearby for clay) are and there are already ways to do ore tripling at about midgame with both TE and Industrial Forgoing if you don't mind fiddling with them.

Edit: Nope, that's the sort of thing that IE doesn't really need. But increasing the chances of a secondary output when processing ores seems to work alright.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 28, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Almost there! Not long now!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I like the shenanigans you can get up to in Ultimate Alchemy with the infinite barrels. An easy early game power solution is to make an Overclocked Generator and stuff logs into it with translocators.
edit: wait how do I get nether stars without the wither blowing up my base? I guess I could just make an extremely thick cube of cobble...

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 28, 2018

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I played Embers.
Embers was kinda garbage

Played Wizardry
Wizardry banned from the server due to causing tick loss

Played Blood magic
Had to excavate a huge area for this multi-block altar only to be told "you probably want at least a second one"
"and probably excavate another huge area for a mob farm
"and another huge area for --"

Played Thaumcraft
Accidentally my base with taint since everything happened on the surface when I'm 100~ blocks underground.
Finally get golems, only to have them out done by a single farmer block

Played Astral Sorcery
"You'll probably want a huge area for another multi-block structure"

:negative:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, multi blocks annoy me, even when they're as simple to build as the void miner things, which have an assembler.

Draconic evolution tier 4 energy storage is about as complex as I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

man i hate when i have to build in a children's block building game