Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

Jojo was not created, it was discovered

I almost entirely unironically agree.

Expect My Mom posted:

I think it's weird when people act like Araki is a lunatic who just lucked into making a cool funny story that no one should try to dissect or look for metaphors in this weird anti-intellectual stance instead of thinking he's just an eccentric who writes cool stuff that's worthy of serious criticism and discussion

Lol how do you even get to the point where you think that people are being anti-intellectual. My dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Expect My Mom posted:

I think it's weird when people act like Araki is a lunatic who just lucked into making a cool funny story that no one should try to dissect or look for metaphors in this weird anti-intellectual stance instead of thinking he's just an eccentric who writes cool stuff that's worthy of serious criticism and discussion

If you want to have a serious discussion about the critical themes of Jojo we can start getting Derrida about it but dont act like "the theme of 4 is ruined if it's not a stranger" is serious criticism

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean actually it was made by an almost 60 year old man who was consistently exposed to western media as a child who grew up to view the world is an interesting and pretty chaotic place and now has a wife and two kids I think but alright

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

is everything gatekeeping these days

it's not only gatekeeping but it also may even be gaslighting to have a different opinion on a manga than me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

TooManyUzukis posted:

I almost entirely unironically agree.

Lol how do you even get to the point where you think that people are being anti-intellectual. My dude.
seeing you trying to shut down discussion by saying the media in question is a "loving collection of creative ideas and characters that occasionally, almost accidentally it feels like, coalesce into a coherent whole" and so any serious exploration of it's themes and how some ideas go against them is laughable in the first place is how I got there

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you want to have a serious discussion about the critical themes of Jojo we can start getting Derrida about it but dont act like "the theme of 4 is ruined if it's not a stranger" is serious criticism
I mean, but it is.

that theory makes the story of part 4 worse and so araki didn't write it that way and trying to create that headcanon makes it weaker imo. like if you wanna believe that's Josuke from the future, go with God, I cannot stop you, but I'd also hope you see why other people find that very silly

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there are plenty of oddities, inconsistencies, and clear shifts in direction that are present early on in every JoJo part but “Josuke looking a lot like the dude he said he based his own look off of and devoted his life to being like” isn’t one of them. that’s literal nonsense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

absolutely FUMING as i phonepost from work due to it being a slow day about a topic i've seen come and go like 8 times already

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The question of who the guy who saved Josuke was gets revisited in one of the light novels (The Book: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 4th Another Day). The LN's new anti-hero character offers to Josuke to figure out who it was using his memory powers, and even raises the possibility that Josuke went back in time to save himself, but Josuke says he doesn't want to know who it really was.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, I didn't expect that level of reaction but ok

If Expect my Mom would ever like to talk critical theory in jojo he is welcome to join me in one of the book barns many criticism threads but otherwise sorry I said anything

Brother Entropy posted:

it's not only gatekeeping but it also may even be gaslighting to have a different opinion on a manga than me

I mean, Ive been called a nerd who doesn't know how to read because I didn't interpret a manga the same way as someone else so I think the description is accurate

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 26, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I didn't expect that level of reaction but ok

If Expect my Mom would ever like to talk critical theory in jojo he is welcome to join me in one of the book barns many criticism threads but otherwise sorry I said anything

this is getting embarassing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

maybe josuke was actually saved by ness from earthbound

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Expect My Mom posted:

Disregarding the many posts already explaining why Josuke being saved himself would undermine the entire theme of Part 4, let's look at this realistically.

Josuke's backstory was published in July of 1993. Kira steps into the story in October of the same year, fully entering the story in November, Killer Queen making it's first appearance about three weeks later and the Bites the Dust arc doesn't start until two years since the backstory, July 3rd of 1995, with Kira getting two new powers and a new face to keep the story going along the way. Given how we've seen Araki write stories, combined with the intense weekly deadline of writing manga, it seems absurd to me that Araki had already been thinking of sending Josuke back in time with Bites The Dust for two years and changed his mind. the guy retcons if his characters are dead or not, come on now

Didn't Araki also say in an interview once that Kira was only added to the story after rethinking his original decision to not have a "central villain" figure like DIO for Part 4?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Josuke died in that car and everything from the mysterious stranger onwards is a dream when he's in a coma.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sorry to snap like a madman possessed but so much of the Josuke Saved Himself Theory feeds a lot into how modern media consumer culture hates ambiguous endings or "plotholes" in order to make things logical rather than thematic sense

Again if you truly believe Josuke saved himself, go for it! I cant stop you! But I find it super weak and it ignores a lot of what Araki actually wrote

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thanks for the invite, but as an English undergrad, posting about books online Terrifies me. I've never even looked in the book barn!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Araki was just physically incapable at the time from drawing a pompadour-wearing delinquent and not having him turn out looking exactly like Josuke.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Josuke getting saved by Josuke is probably the ultimate "plans have changed" in all of Jojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

oh poo poo I just had a thought, what if <spoilers from manga thread> and finally explaining that dropped plotline from Diamond

my man you posted these things within just a few minutes of each other, you're either being willfully obtuse about every criticism someone has or you're trying to low-effort troll both jojo threads

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Thanks for the invite, but as an English undergrad, posting about books online Terrifies me. I've never even looked in the book barn!

We make men in our threads, we forge iron wills.

We birthed BotL and inflicted him on the lesser subforums for their hubris

Xad posted:

my man you posted these things within just a few minutes of each other, you're either being willfully obtuse about every criticism someone has or you're trying to low-effort troll both jojo threads

I posted that one in the manga thread because it occurred to me while talking about it in this thread but since it had a manga spoiler I didn't want to post it in here.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki was just physically incapable at the time from drawing a pompadour-wearing delinquent and not having him turn out looking exactly like Josuke.

look forward to my video essay about how every character in Part 1 and 2 looking exactly like Jonathan Joestar is actually because of time travel

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Okay but what about Mista's backstory? You expect me to believe three people shot a guy and not single bullet hit not only that but the guy stole one of the shooter's guns and killed all three of them???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josuke being saved as a kid has nothing to do with Bites the Dust for the simple fact that it's a weekly manga and Araki had probably not even thought of Kira as the villain yet, let alone planned out his full evolution of power.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Okay but what about Mista's backstory? You expect me to believe three people shot a guy and not single bullet hit not only that but the guy stole one of the shooter's guns and killed all three of them???

1) Yes
2) Because shut up

this should probably go in the op as a general faq

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 26, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

What if Mista traveled back in time and used Sex Pistols to save his pre-stand user self?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ka Ka Ka Ka Kachi Daze.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gruckles posted:

What if Mista traveled back in time and used Sex Pistols to save his pre-stand user self?

broke: Mista traveled back in time and had sex pistols redirect the bullets
woke: Sale traveled back in time and had Kraftwerk stop the bullets

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my favorite thing about the mista backstory is how the narrator grows increasingly incredulous as it continues

"ok it's dark and aiming a gun while panicked isn't easy, a few shots whiffing is understandable"

"wait why is every shot missing, this is bullshit"

"now he's reloading in a hail of gunfire what the gently caress"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the main reason it feels like setup is because DIU is all about that Twilight Zone urban-supernatural vibe, and stable time loops where you mentor yourself as a kid/become your own grandmother/whatever are a classic trope of that genre. You can debate whether it fits with the theme, but it certainly fits with the aesthetic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The question of who the guy who saved Josuke was gets revisited in one of the light novels (The Book: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 4th Another Day). The LN's new anti-hero character offers to Josuke to figure out who it was using his memory powers, and even raises the possibility that Josuke went back in time to save himself, but Josuke says he doesn't want to know who it really was.

By the way, I recommend The Book. It's a bit unlike the manga/anime tonally (it feels more like an early Nasuverse story in some ways), but it works well as the kind of story it is. There's no Part 5 spoilers in it either.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

broke: Mista traveled back in time and had sex pistols redirect the bullets
woke: Sale traveled back in time and had Kraftwerk stop the bullets

bespoke: the rapist goon had a Stand that redirects bullets away from his target but he didn't have time to master it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I want to read the book that has Joseph's father visiting the 30 Kars that all live on the moon or whatever

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We make men in our threads, we forge iron wills.

We birthed BotL and inflicted him on the lesser subforums for their hubris
good lord

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

also i caught the implication earlier that the world was supposed to be everyone's stands but that has literally never been anything but a dumb and everpresent fan theory that keeps popping up despite the guy who actually wrote it directly saying otherwise

Not everyone's stands; DIO's true power is the ability to steal things from Joestars.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tunicate posted:

Not everyone's stands; DIO's true power is the ability to steal things from Joestars.

Of course there was only like three of them with Stands at the time so the only things DIO could steal was Punch Good, Stop Time, and Useless Vines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Under the "Stand = rear end in a top hat" theory, Holly (not an rear end in a top hat) was fine after DIO's demise meant her poo poo kept popping out. She could probably in principle have used the Stand but it seemed to mostly be thorn shibari so the utility is limited.

I also expect Araki did slightly adjust things there because it was incredibly clear to him, probably by the time the gang hits southern Asia, that he had a real good plan going.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

invisible baby is not an rear end in a top hat so i reject that entire theory

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

all babies are assholes

source: every parent

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Brother Entropy posted:

All babies are assholes. Some just loose it when they get older.

EDIT:fb

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

All babies are assholes. Some just loose it when they get older.

EDIT:fb

Or unloose it, as the case may be.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Apparently it was originally supposed to have something to do with Another One Bites the Dust which is why the savior is bloodied and beaten up

Keep in mind that this is a backstory that Koichi theorized and not even one Josuke confirms. The guy could very well have looked like Josuke because Koichi didn't have a visual idea of him.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't Araki also say in an interview once that Kira was only added to the story after rethinking his original decision to not have a "central villain" figure like DIO for Part 4?

Yes. Here's the quote you're probably thinking of.

quote:

The first enemies were student-level enemies like Okuyasu and Keicho, also the guitarist Otoishi Akira—at first I was thinking of student level, delinquent level enemies. The reason for that being that I didn’t want to make a sort of ‘Greatest enemy’. When you create a ‘Greatest enemy’ to be overcome, to be the goal, the readers can’t focus on anything besides that. I didn’t want that to become a weakness in the work. For every story I wrote, I wanted the attention to be on what’s happening right now.

But it seems ‘Jojo’ readers really wanted a ‘Greatest enemy’ of some sort, I guess DIO gave off too strong an impact…. so when it seemed like the end was in sight, I thought up of Kira.

Here is the full interview. Spoilers from other parts if you click on the different years for other interviews, btw.

Is this incredibly nerdy of me to find this interview offhand from memory? Maybe it is. But I also remember finding this from the last loving time we've gone over this. In this same interview, he talks about the guy who saves Josuke as "the man with the pompadour" and that's it. There's such a strong reaction because this keeps coming up over and over again, even when there's no actual evidence for it being a dropped plot line. Okay? All right? We good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
imo it's a lot more impactful that josuke was so affected by the random kindness of a total stranger than time loop shenanigans