Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just took out my Tuono for a bit, after being on a wr250x for 2 big 250+ mile weekend trips last month with pokie, being back on this thing is crazy, i never realized how agressively my knees are bent on this thing. And woooooow the power. The wr was very awesome though, id love to eventually get a sumo, so easy ride and the suspension was hilarious, barely feel bumps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Calibrated* my torque wrench for the first time last night, over two years after buying it. It's still good! :toot:

*by which I mean I hung some weights off the end and verified it's not wildly out of spec, so I didn't mess with the tuning at all.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also fitted a set of givi pannier racks. Half in the dark, because I had to spend a surprise hour deburring one of the bolt holes with a claw hammer, because I'm a loving amateur and don't have a reamer (and I didn't want a bunch of swarf getting mashed into the shock bearing. Maybe it would have been fine, idk).

Pics later because my phone flash sucks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Off to the storage place today, with -3 temps coming on the weekend it's about time. Been a cold loving October.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The most important mod I will ever make to this machine:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is mind boggling that the first pic is factory.

:effort:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s mind boggling that someone INSTALLED chrome on a bike that isn’t a Harley

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m taking incremental steps toward an oil change. Today I brought the bike into the closer garage and put the oil and filter next to the bike. The next step is draining and replacing the oil in the swingarm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's something poetic about oil in the swingarm, fuel in the frame on a sporty bike. So if you take it to a track day and crash, it ruins everyone else's day out of spite.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As much as I like to dunk on Harley and Harley-adjacent things, I feel like frame and swingarm punctures are some of the rarest damage to track bikes. Hell, tanks rarely rupture and they're up on the top of the bike out in the open

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Waiting till saturday to go to the post office to pick up my led dash bulbs, factory tail light, new frame sliders and under tail plastic tray thing. My post office is open for like 3 hours in the middle of the day and i work 40 miles from home, and I dont get mail service at the house. Thankfully Saturday pickup is at 10 am. Still got some stuff I actually can do, just a matter of not playing with my new bulldog and pouring a few bourbons and doing it, like my front brake rebuild.

Beginning to think my F3 was being used as a stunt bike. Everything is trashed and random stuff was swapped in from other bikes. I admittedly scratched my head for some time wondering how the bike could be wired for 4 tail bulbs but only had 2. With the forks rebuilt and everything cleaned and once-overed, I essentially need to just reassembly and get some tires. Front wheel is out for straightening, and I'm rattle-canning the wheels gloss white(very happy with the first albeit rough coat, enamel paint).

Got this on the watch list, looking for a quieter option to the what amounts to a coffee can off the header pipe, while replacing the rusty headers, and moving the noise-hole past my ear drum. such as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-98-honda-cbrc-600-f3-delkevic-shorty-exhaust/272226393433

This may also be coming:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Glossy-INJECTION-Fairing-Bodywork-Set-Fit-Honda-CBR600F3-1997-1998-10-A1/280700646629

Or maybe this, but I'm on the fence with the panther/lion? design. It looks cool in pictures, but maybe its a bit silly. Good luck with finding an installed photo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Glossy-INJECTION-Fairing-Bodywork-Set-Fit-Honda-CBR600F3-1995-1996-05-U5/282868566868

I'm nervous about the Hong Kong fairing kits, but this particular vendor has replied to all my questions very promptly and seem quite cool. They include a tank cover for an additional $80 to match whatever kit.

drat I love this poo poo.

Edit: What I did to my bike today: Front caliper rebuild, later... maybe.

interwhat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 13, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

interwhat posted:

Waiting till saturday to go to the post office to pick up my led dash bulbs, factory tail light, new frame sliders and under tail plastic tray thing. My post office is open for like 3 hours in the middle of the day and i work 40 miles from home, and I dont get mail service at the house. Thankfully Saturday pickup is at 10 am. Still got some stuff I actually can do, just a matter of not playing with my new bulldog and pouring a few bourbons and doing it, like my front brake rebuild.

Beginning to think my F3 was being used as a stunt bike. Everything is trashed and random stuff was swapped in from other bikes. I admittedly scratched my head for some time wondering how the bike could be wired for 4 tail bulbs but only had 2. With the forks rebuilt and everything cleaned and once-overed, I essentially need to just reassembly and get some tires. Front wheel is out for straightening, and I'm rattle-canning the wheels gloss white(very happy with the first albeit rough coat, enamel paint).

Got this on the watch list, looking for a quieter option to the what amounts to a coffee can off the header pipe, while replacing the rusty headers, and moving the noise-hole past my ear drum. such as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-98-honda-cbrc-600-f3-delkevic-shorty-exhaust/272226393433

This may also be coming:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Glossy-INJECTION-Fairing-Bodywork-Set-Fit-Honda-CBR600F3-1997-1998-10-A1/280700646629

Or maybe this, but I'm on the fence with the panther/lion? design. It looks cool in pictures, but maybe its a bit silly. Good luck with finding an installed photo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Glossy-INJECTION-Fairing-Bodywork-Set-Fit-Honda-CBR600F3-1995-1996-05-U5/282868566868

I'm nervous about the Hong Kong fairing kits, but this particular vendor has replied to all my questions very promptly and seem quite cool. They include a tank cover for an additional $80 to match whatever kit.

drat I love this poo poo.

Edit: What I did to my bike today: Front caliper rebuild, later... maybe.

What you're describing is normal PO stuff, it probably doesn't mean it's been stunted it just means it's had a relatively normal existence for a 600.

If you're straightening rims and replacing headers, you probably care about things being the right shape and holes lining up et al in which case ebay fairings are not for you. They are universally trash, you've been warned.

Nine times out of ten, buying a lightly scratched second hand set and repainting/stickering them gives a nicer result for a similar cost.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

ebay fairings are not for you. They are universally trash, you've been warned.
Seconded. We got a free set at the shop once because they were packaged without any padding and scratched themselves a bit. Having gotten them free, I still felt it was a bit of a ripoff. They are the 3d equivalent of photocopies of photocopies. Nothing quite the right shape, the holes don't really line up, you have to bend them to fit them and they crack easily when bent.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I pushed my 1290 SAR over, installed a cheap, secondhand power parts ignition plug from advrider into the side of my case, and then lifted the bike up again

then I rode it in the 38 degree weather because riding in the cold/rain rules. as do seat warmers and heated grips :D

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Slavvy posted:

What you're describing is normal PO stuff, it probably doesn't mean it's been stunted it just means it's had a relatively normal existence for a 600.

If you're straightening rims and replacing headers, you probably care about things being the right shape and holes lining up et al in which case ebay fairings are not for you. They are universally trash, you've been warned.

Nine times out of ten, buying a lightly scratched second hand set and repainting/stickering them gives a nicer result for a similar cost.

I understand the risk, and I willingly posted both those links because I seriously want to move on replacement; hoping someone would echo how great their set is. Factory replacement is out of the question, as it will very easily exceed the cost of the bike, although most likely unavailable anyway, I got a price from a honda dealer just as a joke(or rather the sales rep did, seeing as how there's basically nothing frame/body/cosmetic available anymore) and a tail fairing was over 500 bucks, in the same livery. The fairings on it are trash. Period. They are original, but the plastic has decayed to the point where it crumbles. There may be 3 intact bolt holes, and over 2 dozen zip ties holding it all together, its ridiculous. I wish there was another way. too bad its a pretty ugly bike naked.

mewse
May 2, 2006

interwhat posted:

I understand the risk, and I willingly posted both those links because I seriously want to move on replacement; hoping someone would echo how great their set is. Factory replacement is out of the question, as it will very easily exceed the cost of the bike, although most likely unavailable anyway, I got a price from a honda dealer just as a joke(or rather the sales rep did, seeing as how there's basically nothing frame/body/cosmetic available anymore) and a tail fairing was over 500 bucks, in the same livery. The fairings on it are trash. Period. They are original, but the plastic has decayed to the point where it crumbles. There may be 3 intact bolt holes, and over 2 dozen zip ties holding it all together, its ridiculous. I wish there was another way. too bad its a pretty ugly bike naked.

Aliexpress is $350 instead of $500.. please do it

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Crashed my bike into a coyote Tuesday morning. On a good note, nothing is broken on my person (Bruised to poo poo but all good)...

Bad note, need a new helmet and the left side of my bike is a little... hosed up.

So how is your week going so far? :frog:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not great but better than the coyote's

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

mewse posted:

Aliexpress is $350 instead of $500.. please do it

Okay that's sweet, but the shipping has me confused. Looks like they cover the $1000+ shipping, which is marked as free, and the "AliExpress Standard Shipping" is $102. Before I make this purchase, i would need someone to vouch, there doesn't seem to be any feedback.

It's funny, a lot of kits I've seen that aren't on ebay were reasonably priced around $300 but shipping would be at least $200, and the wait was like 8 weeks. I dunno, ive been scammed in the past and am hard pressed to not get scammed again.

Edit: The feedback comments for RELAXMOTO look fake as hell...

Sorry, guys, should I make a fairings thread, i dont mean to hijack

interwhat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 15, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

interwhat posted:

This isn't a fast moving thread, I think you're fine

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

interwhat posted:

Okay that's sweet, but the shipping has me confused. Looks like they cover the $1000+ shipping, which is marked as free, and the "AliExpress Standard Shipping" is $102. Before I make this purchase, i would need someone to vouch, there doesn't seem to be any feedback.

It's funny, a lot of kits I've seen that aren't on ebay were reasonably priced around $300 but shipping would be at least $200, and the wait was like 8 weeks. I dunno, ive been scammed in the past and am hard pressed to not get scammed again.

Edit: The feedback comments for RELAXMOTO look fake as hell...

Welcome to ordering things from china. Aliexpress is pretty solid, but I only ever order led stuff from there. Either way, they have some sweet shipping costs due to some weird government supplemental thing, or whatever.

Please keep posting about your fairing shopping process. I think the fairings you get will be totally garbage, but I want you to get them and post pics and get them installed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got the rest of the rack on:

Had to pull the shocks to get the stock grab rails out, but that was surprisingly easy (especially since I managed to :filez: a copy of the workshop manual). The pannier set seems to fit a lot better now too.

e/ had to prop the back wheel up while the shocks were out to stop the swingarm denting the silencers, and just now realised I could have strapped the wheel up to the frame rather than scrabbling around trying to find something the right thickness to jam underneath it.

In the event I found a book with Jamie Oliver's face on it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 18, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That rack looks really good on that quite beautiful bike. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Got the rest of the rack on:

Had to pull the shocks to get the stock grab rails out, but that was surprisingly easy (especially since I managed to :filez: a copy of the workshop manual). The pannier set seems to fit a lot better now too.

e/ had to prop the back wheel up while the shocks were out to stop the swingarm denting the silencers, and just now realised I could have strapped the wheel up to the frame rather than scrabbling around trying to find something the right thickness to jam underneath it.

In the event I found a book with Jamie Oliver's face on it.

Nah you did it right, next time though you can just take one shock off at a time :)

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Coydog posted:

Welcome to ordering things from china. Aliexpress is pretty solid, but I only ever order led stuff from there. Either way, they have some sweet shipping costs due to some weird government supplemental thing, or whatever.

Please keep posting about your fairing shopping process. I think the fairings you get will be totally garbage, but I want you to get them and post pics and get them installed.

I will! I found a cheap powdercoat-guy, who is a bit over enthusiastic, and pushing hard to meet sales goals, but my coworker has been working with him, hopefully ill see his work in a day or so. For both wheels, swing arm, rear pegs, brackets, and clutch and stator covers, for just shy of $400. All gloss black. He's trying to talk me into getting his guy to repair the current fairings, but i dont think there's much to work with to make it cost effective.

Edit: swing arm bearings were a breeze to get out, but i dont have the tools to get the rear wheel bearings out :( nothing to grab

interwhat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 20, 2018

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed the third pannier on my 1290 SAR :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

interwhat posted:

I will! I found a cheap powdercoat-guy, who is a bit over enthusiastic, and pushing hard to meet sales goals, but my coworker has been working with him, hopefully ill see his work in a day or so. For both wheels, swing arm, rear pegs, brackets, and clutch and stator covers, for just shy of $400. All gloss black. He's trying to talk me into getting his guy to repair the current fairings, but i dont think there's much to work with to make it cost effective.

Edit: swing arm bearings were a breeze to get out, but i dont have the tools to get the rear wheel bearings out :( nothing to grab

Often there's enough slop in the center spacer that you can sort of push it to the side a little, then stick an old extension or screwdriver in there and smash them out with a hammer.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

right arm posted:

installed the third pannier on my 1290 SAR :D

It looks like a mad robot rolling its eyes.

Edit: This is not a bad thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bought a roll-on stand and added blocks to it so it would fit the 2.25-18" tires on my race bike. Roll on stands are the greatest thing, I want one for all my other bikes now even though they're pointless for all my other bikes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bolt it to your trailer/van, add canyon dancers or similar and stir.

They are amazingly useful if you just want the bike upright for whatever reason or as a prelude to putting it on a rear paddock stand.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took a trip up to Leeds to buy the lady some new gear (proper gloves and some armoured jeans), and it since adding the top box rack it seems like the high speed vibration issue with the panniers has vanished as mysteriously as it it appeared. I'll probably never know what caused it, but I'm glad it's fixed!

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 24, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The seat lock cable came out of its bracket, which meant I couldn't remove my seat. Unfortunately the way to get it back in place involves removing the seat, but by taking off the pillon seat and loving around enough with a long screw driver, I was able to get the lock mechanism to open and fix everything. It probably should have used to hot glue to keep it from happening again, but at least I know I can fix it now.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Today was chain and sprockets day. This is the shortest interval I've ever needed to change to 'em out.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Filled the tanks with stabilized gas and put them up on stands. GS needs an oil change, new brake fluid, possibly new pads, and new tires but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get to it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

swapped the pump filters on my 1290SAR since they finally plugged, as they all do :(

rain riding rules though. having good gear makes all the difference

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing, because we've had 15f days and the roads are covered in salt. Last time i road with salt on the ground, i dropped my GS1100E :/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

5 mins and a $13 part, and now I have a new starter relay. Looking forward to not having to repeatedly try to get my bike started at random times.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

5 mins and a $13 part, and now I have a new starter relay. Looking forward to not having to repeatedly try to get my bike started at random times.

I own 3 starter relays because my bike was making an arcing noise instead of starting, so I ordered a chinese part then got impatient and ordered an ebay part and then charging my battery fixed it :saddowns:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ninja 250's are cold blooded! Yesterday was an unusual mid-50's and partly sunny instead of the rainy mid-30's we've had for weeks, so I got out for a couple hours. About halfway into my ride I got caught in rain anyway and the temperature dropped 5-10 degrees. The bike cooled off enough I had to put the choke back on. I need to wash it now - I thought the roads would be cleaner with all the rain lately but I don't think it's ever been so filthy after a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Stock airbox out, ITG in. swapped primarily for ease of maintenance and to open up some room for a proper pcv/oil separator system