Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I don't recall if you have tried Valkyria Chronicles 4 but it may be up your alley.

I picked this up on switch and it seems awesome but I don't like that classes level up independently of units. I want a OP scene scorching sniper on my team that's 10 level's higher than everybody else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

I don't recall if you have tried Valkyria Chronicles 4 but it may be up your alley.

I have a copy sitting on my desk borrowed from a friend. Not getting to it until after Atelier Arland DX because I won't have a chance to finish it before that comes out. I like turn based strategy games a lot.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pretty happy to see more and more game darling auteurs and legends (like Inafune) be revealed for being majority washed up mentally ill assholes with no idea what made them great (hint it was the entire team that worked on the projects at the time, not one dude) before they get thrown into the pit of forgotten souls

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

I picked this up on switch and it seems awesome but I don't like that classes level up independently of units. I want a OP scene scorching sniper on my team that's 10 level's higher than everybody else

You should use characters because you like them, not because their levels are higher. Jimmy Deathflags will never leave my squad, and I have promoted him as well.

Also yeah, your commanders are almost always better and you field them for extra command points anyway.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 27, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

I want a OP scene scorching sniper on my team that's 10 level's higher than everybody else

That's Kai. Just compare her to Neige and it'll be obvious, even at the same level.

Don't forget your accessories either. Slapping the right late-game gear on a soldier can make them a lot stronger than their buddies.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 27, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Playing RTS games online continues to be the most stressed I have ever been made by a game.

At least with fighting games the individual fights are over quickly, with RTS I just felt a mounting and continuing anxiety that just grew over the course of many minutes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Inti Creates always does a bang up job on the 8 bit ones. unfortunately they'll be associated with Mighty No 9 forever even though that was more on comcept and inafune

i mean they're also associated with bloodstained and master blaster zero and the good mighty games and azure striker and mega man zero and mega man zx

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when i say i like rts games i mean i like pikmin and ogre battle 64 lol

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah I lay blame on M#9 being poo poo solely at the feet of Inafune and his idiot kickstarter

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The problem with VC is how long and pointless 90% of your turn can be when you accomplish the entire objective with a scout for an S rank

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

when i say i like rts games i mean i like pikmin and ogre battle 64 lol

I need to play more Ogre Battle 64. That game is cool and I like the setting and aesthetic a lot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I fuckin loved VC1 scout rushes

objective-based maps in SRPGs imo. death to kill all enemies gameplay

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

The problem with VC is how long and pointless 90% of your turn can be when you accomplish the entire objective with a scout for an S rank

VC4 manages to both largely correct this flaw, and also make scout rushes stronger than they've ever been

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I love starcraft 2 more than anything. it's frenetic whilst you're racing against your opponent and yourself with most perfect unit micro. ive also contracted ahdh ocd night terrors and several frivolous mechanical keyboard purchases in the meantime.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Playing RTS games online continues to be the most stressed I have ever been made by a game.

At least with fighting games the individual fights are over quickly, with RTS I just felt a mounting and continuing anxiety that just grew over the course of many minutes

I miss RTS being a real thing but yeah, they could be really stressful. Still, I loving loved playing Warcraft 3 online. I've though about trying to dip my toes in AoE2, since it apparently has a strong community still, but I haven't worked up the motivation to get loving stomped on by people with a decade+ of experience yet.

Anecdotally, but Starcraft 2 turned several people I know off of MP RTS because they weren't that good, and the lower league are infested with people going nothing but gimmicky rushes to try and win their way out of bronze league and into their 'real' MMR. Stuff that's not hard to beat once you have experience but is extremely frustrating for a new player.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i mean you don't HAVE to do it that way

bloodstained for example is a lot easier when you gain allies but you also have the option to just go it alone which makes things a lot harder, limits combat range, and blocks off certain routes

(i'm assuming there'll be bloodstained any% speedruns with allies and bloodstained zangatsu-only runs at future GDQs)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

I miss RTS being a real thing but yeah, they could be really stressful. Still, I loving loved playing Warcraft 3 online. I've though about trying to dip my toes in AoE2, since it apparently has a strong community still, but I haven't worked up the motivation to get loving stomped on by people with a decade+ of experience yet.

Anecdotally, but Starcraft 2 turned several people I know off of MP RTS because they weren't that good, and the lower league are infested with people going nothing but gimmicky rushes to try and win their way out of bronze league and into their 'real' MMR. Stuff that's not hard to beat once you have experience but is extremely frustrating for a new player.

For an inexperienced RTS player, absolutely everything is going to feel like a gimmicky rush at first. Even if it's a standard 8rax and a couple marines with early pressure, they're not gonna be able to handle it.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

exquisite tea posted:

For an inexperienced RTS player, absolutely everything is going to feel like a gimmicky rush at first. Even if it's a standard 8rax and a couple marines with early pressure, they're not gonna be able to handle it.

True, I was thinking more like tower rushes/worker rushes but yeah if it's a tough jump upward from 'basically do whatever' in the campaign to having to go go go

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

honestly even if I were good at one I'm not sure I'd like RTSes. I like having little moments to think and breath, which even action games let you have in between enemies.
that's dawn of war 2. the campaign anyway. you just have a small group of dudes moving from encounter to encounter, its almost more like an RPG with real time combat

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Relax Or DIE posted:

i haven't played ladder since 2011, i strictly play 1v1 obs with friends. one of the regulars in my crew plays the nastiest, cheesiest poo poo and it's great because the things he does are nothing like what you'd see on ladder, and they aren't informed by meta or builds. he doesn't do it to "win" or whatever he just does it because it's fun. he honestly loses way more matches than he wins, and lots of those wins are just ragequits even though his opponent was super far ahead. and it's certainly fun to see in action as long as you aren't playing against it.

that said, back in my day :bahgawd: bronze/silver was loving infested with diamond/masters smurf accounts who would tank their mmr and then destroy the hell out of inexperienced players. it sucked a lot but it disappeared by gold league because you couldn't just straight up humiliate a gold+ player and they might even win, so it wasn't really considered a good place to smurf

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The only RTS I could ever get into was Rise of Nations and if I played that online I woulda had a panic attack probably against people who were way better than me.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Really Pants posted:

Have either of you ever tried Dawn of War II? The micro is pretty generous on lower difficulties.

No I haven’t.

Tbh reflexes aren’t a problem for me in games. I play games after all. It’s the resource management, building stuff that gets me. I either build too much or too little and don’t know when to stop building and start defending, scouting, attacking.

I’m not even talking about mp. I struggle with the campaign.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Himuro posted:

Tbh reflexes aren’t a problem for me in games. I play games after all. It’s the resource management, building stuff that gets me. I either build too much or too little and don’t know when to stop building and start defending, scouting, attacking.

"always be scouting"

the information gained by a mindful player sacrificing one or two cheap units, is always worth more than the monetary price of those units

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Himuro posted:

No I haven’t.

I’m not even talking about mp. I struggle with the campaign.

DoW2 is all about squad management and tactical positioning; you have an HQ in multiplayer but the game doesn't bother with base-building at all.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have always been awful at rts. Love them though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Black August posted:

Pretty happy to see more and more game darling auteurs and legends (like Inafune) be revealed for being majority washed up mentally ill assholes with no idea what made them great (hint it was the entire team that worked on the projects at the time, not one dude) before they get thrown into the pit of forgotten souls

In the case of Inafune, he has taken credit for many creations. He’s not even the creator of Mega Man. He was mostly a producer and character designer. He wasn’t even much of a game designer. It’s nothing but cult of personality.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The single player modes in Blizzard RTSs have always been a blast, even if you suck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sterling got Darksiders 3 early. Says the game it most resembles is lords of the fallen

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

im watching someone play it and its dark souls

May 8, 2006

An option I like, if you can gather the people, is big free-for-all games. You might not be very good, but you definitely have the skills to bug your friends to help you in chat because so-and-so is going to win if they don't!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Black August posted:

The people want Symphony of the Night but Challenging, this isn’t exactly HARD

yeah Order of Ecclesia is pretty dope.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Phantasium posted:

yeah Order of Ecclesia is pretty dope.

OoE isn’t Metroidvania.

Personally I want a new classic Castlevania.

Castlevania Metroidvania formula was running thin when Portrait Of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia came out. Many of us were fatigued, were sick and tired of Igavania. Years away made people miss the formula and therefore crave demand but that doesn’t stop the fact they were at the end of their rope when they stopped making Igavania’s. So I’ve looked at Bloodstained with complete apathy. I want more CV III, not SotN. SotN had its limelight for years.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 27, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Black August posted:

yeah, that sounds awesome.? very happy when this happens

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I wish they had kept making a new one every year or two since 2008 but whatever.

May 8, 2006

more Igavanias, all games Igavanias, when you log into Steam it should be an Igavania and you have to beat games to unlock power ups to get to your other games

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The big RTS breakthrough for me now vs kid me is using the keyboard shortcuts. When I was young I was playing those games almost entirely with the mouse (and maybe the arrow keys to look around the map) and that seems quite literally like trying to play with one arm tied behind your back.

Jay Rust posted:

The single player modes in Blizzard RTSs have always been a blast, even if you suck

If I ever make it through SC and Brood War I might seriously consider picking up SC2 just to do the single-player. By then it'll be old enough that they whole thing will be free lol

E: Does Zeratul in SC2 have his same voice actor from SC1?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 27, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am a post auteur. I will now create the french new wave of posts.

Hello I am Jean Sedberg. Let me look at this attractive gangster man. Most of the post is us looking at each other, but now he dies.

May 8, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hello I am Jean Sedberg. Let me look at this attractive gangster man. Most of the post is us looking at each other, but now he dies.

I don't get it, but I'll pretend I do so I don't look uncultured

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Snooze Cruise posted:

Is everything ok at home? Wanna talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hello I am Anna Karina. Oh wow I just met my ex boyfriend at a party. He is going to leave his wife to hang out with me oh no I am being chased by gangsters we stare at each other a lot in this post. Oh I just snipe this guy and wait my ex boyfriend shot me and blew himself up by wrapping dynamite around his head.

This is where I reveal I only know the plot of two french new wave movies.

• Locked thread