Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

You don’t need “mesh” APs to share the same SSID throughout a coverage zone. You do want your APs to rotate between the three 2.4GHz signal bands so there isn’t interference.

Ubiquiti APs will do this on their own, but you can set up just about any two off the shelf APs / WiFi routers to do this seamlessly.

e: to be fair, if you wanted a large coverage zone without plugging secondary access points into a hardwired network, then yeah mesh networks.

DNK fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

sellouts posted:

How fast is your internet?

My ER-X wasn’t capable of handling gigabit.

Switch brand doesn’t matter. In your case any unmanaged gigabit switch will do

If you’re need 2 or more APs you’ll want to get mesh ones so it’s seamless between the two. Are you sure you need to use both?

The internet connection will be about 400 Mbps.

I don't know yet if I'll really need to set up both APs. Unfortunately, they're older ASUS models (RT-N66U) that aren't compatible with their AIMesh system.

DNK posted:

You don’t need “mesh” APs to share the same SSID throughout a coverage zone. You do want your APs to rotate between the three 2.4GHz signal bands so there isn’t interference.

Ubiquiti APs will do this on their own, but you can set up just about any two off the shelf APs / WiFi routers to do this seamlessly.

e: to be fair, if you wanted a large coverage zone without plugging secondary access points into a hardwired network, then yeah mesh networks.

How would I set up the two APs to rotate channels? Also, is that something that you need to do for 5GHz as well?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wax Dynasty posted:

How would I set up the two APs to rotate channels? Also, is that something that you need to do for 5GHz as well?

If you have two APs with the same SSID and password, they are functionally the same wireless network. The client device will connect to either seemlessly. As far as channels go, you can hard set two different channels. Most newer WAPs will automatically select the channel that is best, and it will see the channel of the other WAP if it is close enough, and use a different channel. Same applies to 5 GHz, there's just more channels to chose from.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never understood that. In a mesh network, do the APs decide which client connects to it, or do the clients read the connection between the two and switch to the best?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DNK posted:

Sorry this is what I meant but a poor assumption on my part given that he has Ethernet everywhere.

My er-X did fine on 300mbps internet.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jokes posted:

I never understood that. In a mesh network, do the APs decide which client connects to it, or do the clients read the connection between the two and switch to the best?

"mesh" means the APs can wirelessly backhaul between each other without needing a hard-wired network connection. Has almost nothing to do with SSID/channel selection.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wax Dynasty posted:

1) Since the junction box is in a closet upstairs, a wireless router seems a waste. Would the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X mentioned in the OP be a good choice here?

It's kind of assumed in most of the designs ITT that an aftermarket router will be used, but some carriers provide combo router/modem devices that can do everything. If you're in this situation you could try using the modem for the wired routing and disable its SSID unless you need some kind of feature that an aftermarket device would provide. I used to always add my own router and put the modem into bridge mode when I was on cable, but at least for fiber AT&T forces you to use their router (via 802.1x) and I've come to accept that it is perfectly fine at doing DNS, DHCP and gigabit NAT.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

sellouts posted:

Sorry this is what I meant but a poor assumption on my part given that he has Ethernet everywhere.

My er-X did fine on 300mbps internet.

So if I set this up as modem -> router -> switch -> devices, and if I want to stream media from my NAS to multiple devices, that traffic won't hit the router, right? I won't have to worry about the router's CPU/bandwidth limits?

Also, I notice that the recommended guide video to setting up the EdgeRouter X is now several years old. Is it still useful?

Eletriarnation posted:

It's kind of assumed in most of the designs ITT that an aftermarket router will be used, but some carriers provide combo router/modem devices that can do everything. If you're in this situation you could try using the modem for the wired routing and disable its SSID unless you need some kind of feature that an aftermarket device would provide. I used to always add my own router and put the modem into bridge mode when I was on cable, but at least for fiber AT&T forces you to use their router (via 802.1x) and I've come to accept that it is perfectly fine at doing DNS, DHCP and gigabit NAT.

Spectrum provides a separate router box from its modem, and I'd read the router wasn't great so I thought to replace it with something more stable.

Internet Explorer posted:

If you have two APs with the same SSID and password, they are functionally the same wireless network. The client device will connect to either seemlessly. As far as channels go, you can hard set two different channels. Most newer WAPs will automatically select the channel that is best, and it will see the channel of the other WAP if it is close enough, and use a different channel. Same applies to 5 GHz, there's just more channels to chose from.

Cool, thank you.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I know that flat ethernet cables are almost universally poo poo that don't meet specs and use thin wire gauges, but can anyone recommend one that would work ok for gigabit ethernet for a 25-30 foot length? It may end up powering a Unifi AP, so at least a bit of wattage will need to go through it. I'm renting a house so I can't make any holes in walls and I'd like the cable to go under an area rug.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I bought one of these a while ago and had no problem getting gigabit over it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Just try the cheap 30awg stuff first, because the next best option costs $3-4 per foot.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I, too, got a flat Cat 6 from Amazon for gigabit and have no issues with it. Link for posterity:

Jadaol Cat 6 Ethernet Cable 75 ft White with Cable Clips – Flat Internet Network Cable – Cat 6 Computer LAN Cable - Cat6 Ethernet Patch Cable with Snagless Rj45 Connectors – 75 feet White (22 Meters) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F4XBTH0/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just curious, if the ER-X does not handle gigabit, what Ubiquiti product(s) does?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The X does handle gigabit. Make sure your hardware offload is enabled and qos is disabled.

Edgerouter lite and 4 also does gigabit without qos too.

ickna
May 19, 2004

My ER-X is doing just fine with my gigabit. Make sure you enable the hardware offload and disable any of the inspection features.

E:fb

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Just be aware with the ER-X that ipv6 has some issues when hwnat offloading is enabled.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My ERL handles gigabit like a champ.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I installed a TP-Link EAP225v3 in my parents' house this past weekend (https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4908_EAP225.html) and right now I have it set where the 2.4 and 5GHz bands have separate SSIDs. Should I change it so both bands have the same SSID and enable band steering instead?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

teagone posted:

I installed a TP-Link EAP225v3 in my parents' house this past weekend (https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4908_EAP225.html) and right now I have it set where the 2.4 and 5GHz bands have separate SSIDs. Should I change it so both bands have the same SSID and enable band steering instead?

Yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

K :) Thinking I maybe should have gotten two of them and enabled mesh too? They were on sale for $48 and were super easy to install and set up. The AP is in their living room/dining/kitchen area, but speeds/signal strength in the basement and upstairs are pretty solid.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If your signal is good in those areas, then don't worry about additional APs and doing mesh. Your signal on the clients (phones/computers) will look better, but your bandwidth will generally won't improve.

Mesh is almost always a stopgap/jury rigged solution in the end.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, if the ER-X does not handle gigabit, what Ubiquiti product(s) does?

If others are having success, cool. I saw 200mbps gains going to pfSense within 3 minutes downloading from same source.

Maybe I had some QoS stuff running that I forgot about. It was a very set it and forget it piece of hardware.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sellouts posted:

If others are having success, cool. I saw 200mbps gains going to pfSense within 3 minutes downloading from same source.

Maybe I had some QoS stuff running that I forgot about. It was a very set it and forget it piece of hardware.

PFsense should max out any connection given a decent processor. An i3 is plenty for gigabit and above.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
New house is 10+ months away, but here I am, designing my network because THAT is important, not those pesky details like insulation and building permits...

Circumstances:

• House is cabled with cat 6. I probably don't need all outlets to be live in the foreseeable future.
  • It's a two-story house with reportedly not-good radio permeability, so I've prepped it for one access point mounted on the ceiling of the lower floor, and one or more in the attic.
  • House is tiny, 150m2 total, 88m2 footprint.
  • I have a giant fanboi nerd boner for Ubiquiti stuff and have successfully used it in the past.
  • I wouldn't mind coverage outside, but it's not super critical as LTE signal is good in the area.
  • Internet is gigabit fiber (PLEASE GOD PLEASE I NEED THIS LET THIS WORK OUT!)
  • I don't need to hit a gigabit precisely but I'd be sad to lose a significant percentage of the performance due to stupid products.
  • While I could pilfer a 52 port PoE Cisco behemoth from work, I'm conscious about power consumption and TCO. (65W idle lol.)

My immediate idea is an Edgerouter X SFP and two Unifi AC LITEs. With a bit of luck (some people report this to work) I can ditch the ISP media converter, get an SFP module and get away with running just the ERX-SFP.

My questions:

1. Can more than one AP figure out how to peacefully coexist with the other AP, handing over nicely with no drama?
  2. Will the ERX-SFP PoE feed two AC LITEs on it's own, or do I need clumsy injectors?
  3. If so, does Ubiquiti make a router that will feed two or more AC LITEs and possibly a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a PoE HAT?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

redeyes posted:

PFsense should max out any connection given a decent processor. An i3 is plenty for gigabit and above.

Yes. It rules. I’m saying it had an immediate performance increase over my er-x, but maybe I had some weird QoS stuff I fiddled with when I set it up initially.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

bolind posted:

My questions:

1. Can more than one AP figure out how to peacefully coexist with the other AP, handing over nicely with no drama?
  2. Will the ERX-SFP PoE feed two AC LITEs on it's own, or do I need clumsy injectors?
  3. If so, does Ubiquiti make a router that will feed two or more AC LITEs and possibly a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a PoE HAT?

Yes, Unifi APs figure this out themselves.
I have this exact setup and the SFP does fine to power two AC Lites over Ethernet.
You may not get 1gbps over WiFi (I believe mine top out at ~500mbps under ideal conditions), but as noted above the router can handle it on the wire.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bolind posted:

If so, does Ubiquiti make a router that will feed [...] possibly a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a PoE HAT?

I don't think so. Pi needs 802.3af PoE and the Edgerouters only supply passive 24v PoE. You'd need an Edgeswitch with PoE.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm jealous of all of your real fiber solutions, I don't have TV in my house or anything and I still have to use Verizon's stupid ONT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have an ethernet socket in the wall and a switch in the basement somewhere. I'd rather have a fibre and an ONT just for a bit of electrical isolation but whatever.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

teagone posted:

I'm not sure I would bother with band steering. Most client devices are pretty good about selecting whichever band is currently offering the best effective performance. Try it out sure, but if you see odd behavior, turn it off. But yes, same SSID and security settings for both bands is the best way to go.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Humm... this active/passive PoE talk is also starting to make me abandon the plan of getting a $200 Edgerouter PoE, thereby saving me a bit over a separate Ubiquiti Edgeswitch + Edgerouter combo.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I should post in SA-Mart but i do have a EdgeRouter SFP and UniFi US-8 available, I upgraded to a USG-4 and US-48POE this month

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Antillie posted:

I'm not sure I would bother with band steering. Most client devices are pretty good about selecting whichever band is currently offering the best effective performance. Try it out sure, but if you see odd behavior, turn it off. But yes, same SSID and security settings for both bands is the best way to go.

When I set up my Archer C7 a couple years ago, I did some internet research on using the same SSIDs and what I took away was that in theory devices use 5 GHz when it is available and the 2.4 GHz when it isn't; in practice devices always use 2.4 GHz because it is the first thing they see and they never switch over.

Are most/all clients actually good about switching between the two? Or is it only in high-end recent smartphones or something like that?

In my case my 5 GHz covers the entire apartment, so I would never need the jump between the two frequencies. I just think the concept is interesting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you could get away with just not offering a 2.4Ghz network if you have reasonably modern devices. Just check before buying IoT things that they're dual-band (even a Raspberry Pi has dual-band ac Wi-Fi now, there's no excuse for your $200 doorbell).

An AP that supports running as a client can handle connectivity for consoles and a smart TV if necessary, since all TVs have terrible Wi-Fi and Sony can't seem to give their consoles decent networking.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

5ghz frequency availability is a little different if it’s being used outside. The nest doorbell for example doesn’t support it at all in Canada because of this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I run the same SSID for both frequencies, but I don't see anything wrong with having them separate. Some stuff just needs a solid connection and the 300mbps 2.4Ghz will give it is more than enough. My alarm panel, washer/dryer, robot vacuum, and wifi power outlets just need a good signal, it doesn't have to be fast. Laptops, iDevices, etc can make use of 5Ghz. Whatever works best for your environment

bolind posted:

New house is 10+ months away, but here I am, designing my network because THAT is important, not those pesky details like insulation and building permits...

Sounds good. Run Cat6 or even conduit as many places (especially exterior walls) that you can, even if you'll never ever ever use it. I just built a house and had 12 ethernet/rg6 combo drops put in and I already wish I would have ran more wiring during construction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Evis posted:

5ghz frequency availability is a little different if it’s being used outside. The nest doorbell for example doesn’t support it at all in Canada because of this.

True, I forgot about this. If I wanted a video doorbell then I'd want to wire power to it anyway, at which point you might as well just let me do a PoE drop to it. I have no desire for a house filled with IoT devices that results in having to subscribe to AA cells.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I sometimes run into odd problems with identical SSIDs on 2.4 and 5Ghz. It's worth it to me to have them be different.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sellouts posted:

Yes. It rules. I’m saying it had an immediate performance increase over my er-x, but maybe I had some weird QoS stuff I fiddled with when I set it up initially.

I switched to PFsense from a (supposedly) plenty fast Mikrotik. My Speeds definitely increased, latency went down. I was actually a little shocked since I thought my ISP was up to shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

jjack229 posted:

When I set up my Archer C7 a couple years ago, I did some internet research on using the same SSIDs and what I took away was that in theory devices use 5 GHz when it is available and the 2.4 GHz when it isn't; in practice devices always use 2.4 GHz because it is the first thing they see and they never switch over.

Are most/all clients actually good about switching between the two? Or is it only in high-end recent smartphones or something like that?

In my case my 5 GHz covers the entire apartment, so I would never need the jump between the two frequencies. I just think the concept is interesting.

There isn't really a clear answer here. Some devices are really good about jumping bands, others are just pants on head retarded about it. I want to say that most modern things are good about it but I don't have any real data to back up such a claim. I have actually seen the opposite happen myself when the band steering on my Unifi APs caused issues by constantly kicking a device off of the 2.4ghz band when the device was outside and was (correctly) trying to stay off the 5ghz band.

Band steering tries to force devices over to the 5ghz band (generally by temporarily not talking on the 2.4ghz band to the device being targeted), it does not necessarily try to put devices on the band that is currently performing the best given the device's current location and local RFI. (Although some vendors do try and do this.) Band steering isn't actually part of the 802.11 spec so there isn't a standard way to do it and different vendors do it differently with different results with different client devices.

In my experience band steering can help stupid devices not be so stupid. But it can also mess up connectivity for devices that aren't dumb and don't need the help.

The best thing is probably to try it and see if it works well for you.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 28, 2018