Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

BGrifter posted:

Amazon.ca has a Switch and $50 eShop code for $329.99 right now so I’ll just jump on that. Walmart can gently caress right off.

Nice, glad you managed to get a good deal. Can you drop me a link so I can share it with my friend? He also missed out on the earlier Ebay deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Policenaut posted:

Rail shooters are alive as ever, but only in VR. They stopped being cool for everything else once we went from light guns to dragging a cursor across a screen.

I loved that the Wii got so many rail shooters< even if a lot of them were just old arcade ports. I played a LOT of Ghost Squad.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Late to the chat but anyone who says Pokemon Snap is not literally the best Pokemon game is extremely wrong.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Late to the chat but anyone who says Pokemon Snap is not literally the best Pokemon game is extremely wrong.

My brother got Pokemon Snap for his birthday and we beat it with a photo of Mew before the guests left. It was fun, but man, that game should have been released a few years later with a lot more polish and openness.

Being able to go print your photos at Blockbuster for whatever exorbitant price they charged was cool though

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Danakir posted:

Nice, glad you managed to get a good deal. Can you drop me a link so I can share it with my friend? He also missed out on the earlier Ebay deal.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Swit...sBDL&ref=plSrch

It’s just the regular Switch listing on Amazon.ca, the eShop card part is in the Special Offers. I checked with customer service and they email you the eShop code when your console ships.

Works out ok in the end. :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

I just want Star Fox 64 but with modern graphics. It's basically just a shoot em up from behind.

That’s basically what Star Fox Zero was unless you hate gyro aiming. There’s also the great looking remake on 3DS.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heath posted:

My brother got Pokemon Snap for his birthday and we beat it with a photo of Mew before the guests left. It was fun, but man, that game should have been released a few years later with a lot more polish and openness.

Being able to go print your photos at Blockbuster for whatever exorbitant price they charged was cool though

I bet you didn't find half the cool secrets in the game :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zero was mostly all range mode and felt like only about 30% Arwing

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

I bet you didn't find half the cool secrets in the game :colbert:

People keep saying this but what secrets did the game have?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
We did. We pretty much 100%ed it in a couple hours. IIRC you pretty much have to do everything to even get to the area Mew is in.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Started a Diablo 3 co-op match with two random players and we all played pretty much non stop for 6 hours.

It's pretty impressive how performance stayed solid no matter how much poo poo was going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whnbn06WH5M

I'd like to get a match with 3 other necromancers. You gotta use Quick Match to host or join a public game btw.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fun Fact: Pokémon Snap was actually supposed to be a disc drive game but the 64 disc drive didn’t take off so it was released as a cartridge game instead, which is why the game is literally always lagging

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Omanyte, Slowpoke
Pidgeot, Arbok - That's all, folks!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Charizard, Articuno, Zapdos, Dragonite (?). There were lots. Those are off the top of my head.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Didn't you have to find the secrets to get to mew?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mister Facetious posted:

JSRF is the better game, with the better music.

This wrong in every way. Jsr is an arcade game that uses rollerblading as a vehicle to get to tagging, the actual mechanic the game is built around. Jsrf rips that out for a generic 3d platformer. And the music is all shadows of the originals.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Grace and glory is so much better in JSR instead of JSRF thus JSR is better.

Outside of the whatever additions for US audiences the soundtrack is better in JSR too.

Dragula is fine if not really fitting the motif, the cold song just doesn't really fit.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

(jeff foxworthy voice)

Brother Entropy posted:

you must be an indie dev if you think procedural generated content will automatically make a game from 'not good' to 'good'

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stanos posted:

Grace and glory is so much better in JSR instead of JSRF thus JSR is better.

Outside of the whatever additions for US audiences the soundtrack is better in JSR too.

Dragula is fine if not really fitting the motif, the cold song just doesn't really fit.

I thought you were talking about Bayonetta for a moment and I was confused.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

KingSlime posted:

Didn't you have to find the secrets to get to mew?

I think there was both finding a specific secret sign in each stage and then reaching a point total to unlock the next stage and Mew?

Each pokemon could only give you points for one picture, so you generally would have to get at least a few of the well hidden Pokemon to keep progressing. Like you don't need to have everything, and you can skip more if you got some really high point shots, but you'll probably have seen most of what the game has to offer once reaching Mew.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I remember getting Mew before Articuno, so that seems right to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
If I ever decided to get into game dev my dream project would be a pokemon snap-like

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Heath posted:

I just want Star Fox 64 but with modern graphics. It's basically just a shoot em up from behind.

Sounds like my wedding night

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So the phone app has some use in Mario kart but feels pretty limited in Splatoon. What way you think they'll go with Smash? If I can trash talk via phone with strangers like Mario kart lets you then I may yet live my days of yore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Zero was mostly all range mode and felt like only about 30% Arwing

I think I'm the only person on earth who liked the gyrocopter parts. I would gladly pay for Star Fox Zero: Gyrocopter edition.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Do folks here feel that a screen protector is a necessity for the Switch? I never ended up getting one for my Wii U and that screen is fine after years of use. I don't really have any history of dropping handheld devices or scratching them up. But, I know that some screens do get scratched really easily, so I'm not super-opposed to the idea if that's the experience that people have had.

If so, is there a go-to screen protector that people like?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

surf rock posted:

Do folks here feel that a screen protector is a necessity for the Switch? I never ended up getting one for my Wii U and that screen is fine after years of use. I don't really have any history of dropping handheld devices or scratching them up. But, I know that some screens do get scratched really easily, so I'm not super-opposed to the idea if that's the experience that people have had.

http://a.co/d/eAMZrhj
I bought this one for my Switch and it's been great so far. Plus it was the easiest screen protector I've ever applied to anything!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

surf rock posted:

at least get a cheap plastic film one, IMO

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

surf rock posted:

My friend thought the same, then his screen got scratched... by the loving dock.

Everyone seems to like that amFilm one or whatever it is. I bought it for mine (when it arrives on Thursday).

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I bought the amFilm one even though my switch is docked probably 90% of the time. It's cheap and it's peace of mind in cash I jostle it in the dock on accident or take it out when I want to lay on the couch and play. For like 9 dollars why not?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Gonkish posted:

My friend thought the same, then his screen got scratched... by the loving dock.

Everyone seems to like that amFilm one or whatever it is. I bought it for mine (when it arrives on Thursday).

The dock can scratch it? Goddamn. Alright, screen protector ordered. Jesus.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

surf rock posted:

The amFilm glass protector is great and only like $8 for two.

I never drop my things and I usually end up getting some fairly noticeable scratches on them just from using a cleaning cloth that somehow got a piece of grit in it. Screen protectors aren't invulnerable but they're sure as poo poo a lot easier to replace.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nobody plans on dropping and scratching their screens. Get the AMFilm glass protector. It's nice..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nobody plans on dropping and scratching their screens. Get the AMFilm glass protector. It's nice..

The amFilm one is great because it makes the switch screen feel so much nicer. I never use screen protectors but it’s absolutely worth it on the switch.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

surf rock posted:

The dock can scratch it? Goddamn. Alright, screen protector ordered. Jesus.

It seems to vary from one dock to the next. Some people get scratches while being super careful, others can intentionally slam the Switch in as haphazardly as possible hundreds of times and be fine. I thought that mine was getting scratched in the corners but it ended up being smudges from the rubber bumpers in the dock and they can be wiped off if I try hard enough.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also if you keep the Switch in a grip-case (like SkullCo's), it's theoretically supposed to still fit in the dock BUT it feels too tight to me so I never do it.

Hoping those third-party docks figure out how not to brick the console (seriously what is that all about?)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mdemone posted:

(seriously what is that all about?)

It’s the magic of USB-C!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I baby all my electronics and I still got the cheapo Hori protector anyways because last I heard the "dock scratches the screen" issue hadn't been fixed.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I also got spooked by the "dock scratches screen" boogeyman. But the screen protector is only a few bucks per application and I'm still on the first one after a year since I play it docked mostly.

It might be a scam, but the screen is a plastic that feels soft so I didn't want to risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I understand why they didn’t go with glass on it but drat if the glass doesn’t feel so much better.