Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Syd Mead has a MG Turn X built by the real life Meijin Kawaguchi in his living room

https://twitter.com/nihonmatu5/status/1065875532401696768

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Story time.

*At Convention*

Me: Hey guys!
Gundam Dealer: Hey Xae!
Me: Ohhh! You have the PG Banshee in again.
Dealer: Yeah. Well. Not actually "in stock", we're selling it for someone.
Me: Cool cool. Do you have the extra parts kit and lights?
Dealer: Yes on the parts, but we're out of LED units...
Me: Oh. Ah well. I can get cracking on it and wait for the LEDs to do the build.
Dealer: Makes sense! ... Actually... Do you want to do something special?
Me: ???
Dealer: ... We have the Unicorn Full Armour parts.
Me: Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.... but. Banshee never had a FA version.
Dealer: Yes. But. Think of how COOL an FA Banshee would look! You can do modelling, and solve the gattlings needing something doing to them, and have the Banshee gun and claw!
Me: Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.... but. That would be really drat expensive.
Dealer: *I* want to see a Full Armour Banshee. If you're up for it, I'll do a big discount.
Me: ...... :shepspends:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

K Prime posted:

Speaking of, if you're in the SF Bay area, strongly recommend checking out the local Gunpla exclusive store, Gundam Labs Hobby in Hayward.

https://gundamlabs.co/pages/warehouse-pick-up

Good selection, great staff, and space to chill and build or paint if you want.

I just stopped by there and it’s everything I’ve wanted in a hobby shop. Especially since my local shop closed down last year.

It was a long drive but absolutely worth it. Had a wall full of Mr. Color and customization tools. Back warehouse full of kits, and it was all 20% off this weekend!

Nerds building kits and watching build fighters in the front, with whom I avoided all eye contact since I’m a shy loser.

I picked up an MG Guntank, a Megami Device Giant Anime Tiddy kit, and a ton of paint. Thanks again for the recommendation. It’s like an hour away from me but I’m defs gonna be back.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Xaerael posted:

Story time.

*At Convention*

Me: Hey guys!
Gundam Dealer: Hey Xae!
Me: Ohhh! You have the PG Banshee in again.
Dealer: Yeah. Well. Not actually "in stock", we're selling it for someone.
Me: Cool cool. Do you have the extra parts kit and lights?
Dealer: Yes on the parts, but we're out of LED units...
Me: Oh. Ah well. I can get cracking on it and wait for the LEDs to do the build.
Dealer: Makes sense! ... Actually... Do you want to do something special?
Me: ???
Dealer: ... We have the Unicorn Full Armour parts.
Me: Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.... but. Banshee never had a FA version.
Dealer: Yes. But. Think of how COOL an FA Banshee would look! You can do modelling, and solve the gattlings needing something doing to them, and have the Banshee gun and claw!
Me: Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.... but. That would be really drat expensive.
Dealer: *I* want to see a Full Armour Banshee. If you're up for it, I'll do a big discount.
Me: ...... :shepspends:

That conversation actually ends with: Dealer: hehehe....sucker... :v:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TaurusOxford posted:

That conversation actually ends with: Dealer: hehehe....sucker... :v:

Nah, we're good friends, and I get pretty drat good discounts in return for lending my finished kits for display. Going forward, I'm probably going to be helping them out at some events because they want someone more available who can talk about how to paint kits.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
You motherfucker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know, the FA Banshee with the orange psycoframe does look pretty striking.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Saw a video saying Hathaway's Flash was getting a movie Trilogy, so looking forward to the MG or HG Xi Gundam.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Xaerael posted:

Nah, we're good friends, and I get pretty drat good discounts in return for lending my finished kits for display. Going forward, I'm probably going to be helping them out at some events because they want someone more available who can talk about how to paint kits.

That still seems like a loooot of money.

Says me, who just bought all this... :v:

I got a little extra money this month so in addition to my usual P-Bandai shipment I decided to pick up some big fat MGs because I'm slightly burned out on HGs for a while.

I did finally get the crystal frame Unicorn though. They were sold out of it when I was in Tokyo earlier this year, but PB put it on the Gundam Base online store a few months ago and it finally got shipped this month. It's a little overpriced though it does have the distinction of being one of very few (possibly the only one?) GB exclusives that isn't just a fancy color/plated. They've done a pretty good job on adding all the crystal pieces, if I were going to put in a little more effort I definitely would have like to shoot the clear parts with some kind of pearl/metallic to bring out the sculpting. It also comes with a full action base 5 and the magic space karate hands.

And the polycaps come in a really delicious looking mint ice-cream color.

(It also comes with instructions to build it as a regular Unicorn [Destroy] but that feels more like an excuse for all the parts left on the runners and the resulting price tag, it was the 4th most expensive thing on that pile. :eyepop:)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

fuuuuuck the guy at Gentei kits cancelled my order saying he didn't order enough V2 assault buster expansions. I really don't want to pay some ridiculous markup for it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Use Bandai online

E: or Nippon-yasan

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 26, 2018

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I've been building models for ages and I still can't remove nub marks with an Xacto knife without accidentally cutting too deep and making the surface uneven. How do y'all do it?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I use God Hands and acknowledge the fact that even they will leave nub marks. Otherwise you can try rubbing your fingernail on the nub mark, that sometimes works.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Null of Undefined posted:

I've been building models for ages and I still can't remove nub marks with an Xacto knife without accidentally cutting too deep and making the surface uneven. How do y'all do it?

I do that rarely still, and always will.

I use god hands to get close, and then one of the rounded blades (#22?) to shave off, basically by putting the blade directly against the piece a bit above the nub and going down. It works most of the time, but if the blade isn't sharp enough, it will gently caress up sometimes. Change blades every model.

Aside from that, if it get it really close and there's just the tiniest bit left, finger nail or some nail buffing blocks to get the last done. Depends on the color and if I'm painting.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Null of Undefined posted:

I've had great success with a scalpel and #24 blades. Very sharp, and the curve allows for smoother cuts. Shave the nib down with several strokes. The curve does the work. You move the blade with gentle, steady, even pressure. Change blades at least once per model, but a #4 handle and 100 #24 blades can be had for like $8 on Ebay.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Biggest tip for removing nubs is to not try and remove it in one sweep.

If you try and remove too large a piece it will put pressure on the blade and direct it towards to piece rather than away.

Assume the nub is rectangular in shape protruding from the actual piece.

Do a pass from both sides to make it trapezoidal.

Then keep on making the angles shallower until you can remove what's left with a single straight pass.

But yeah, if your not going for a crazy instagram finish where photos will highlight imperfections, God Hands and a fingernail pass will suffice for most pieces.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I use God hands and then shave the excess down slowly until it's flush with the piece. Never had any luck sanding and if you're patient, I think shaving with an xacto has good returns

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Very fine fingernail buffers should work too. Not the ones like files, but the salon sanding boards so fine you can't even see the grit. The 'grit' they list is arbitrary too, don't try to reference it against any real sandpaper grit. Can usually find a few for a dollar.

I learned when I was a kid building model cars is, usually, to nip twice: just leave a huge nub on if you aren't cutting the gate in the flattest way possible, then once you have the part free you can nip in the direction that has the least material to get through, which then won't leave the little white stress marks in the part itself if you want to file or cut the rest away.

Nubs can be ground down, but stress marks suck. I really want to try to get this mostly black Temjin off the sprues cleanly before I even think about whether I'm gonna get an airbrush or for it or something.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The good thing with the plastic that Gunpla is made from is that the stress marks are very forgiving.

Unless you've made a huge mistake, the majority blend in when you rub your fingernail across it.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

I got my Thanksgiving order from USA Gundam Store. With that, I have my Christmas shopping for my little sister done. I'm giving her the side utters I got for free along with the Swordfish because she loves Cowboy Bebop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beelerzebub posted:

I got my Thanksgiving order from USA Gundam Store. With that, I have my Christmas shopping for my little sister done. I'm giving her the side utters I got for free along with the Swordfish because she loves Cowboy Bebop.

What's the straight-build quality like on the Swordfish?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No clue. I haven't built one. From what I've heard, it sounds at least decent.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Banagher, remember the Neo Zeong? It's back, in Stein form

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I bought the Swordfish model for the husband of a coworker for his first model. The primary issue he came across that the cockpit figure and console didn't quite fit into its clear sphere properly, but I cant be certain if that was a design flaw or due to his lack of modeling experience. I do know that it's a pretty quick build, since its only as complex as the HG Leo, but it costs nearly twice as much, partially due to the 3 uncolored figures of the main cast that it comes with.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I heard y'all like robits...

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/84068

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Booourns posted:

Hell yeah, hopefully it does more than show up and get instantly chumped in a fight against two Unicorns before taking them on a Willy Wonka hellboat tour of the Universal Century's hosed-up past.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There is absolutely no way to reconsile that with the plot is there?

Edit: just seen a trailer, guess I misunderstood a few things about NT.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 27, 2018

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Built it a while ago and its not very good. The seams dont match in several places and require glue, landing gear doesn't reliability hold it up, color separation is basically red and gray, detailing is sparse and there's no decals

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

Use Bandai online

E: or Nippon-yasan

Thanks I never know where to pre-order p-bandai stuff because I almost never buy them.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The recent PG Red Frame release with all the gubbins just arrived and its a big ol' box.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Booourns posted:

Wondered how they were going to reuse those molds.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Those legs make me want some of the Star Driver mecha as kits. Also I guess it's time to watch the movie instead of skimwatching the series again.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 27, 2018

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I was thinking of what to get myself for Xmas and thought hey, maybe I should get that Mechanicore Gp02 kit.

Do I really make that decision and confirm just how much I hate myself?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

IT'S DONE.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Xaerael posted:

IT'S DONE.

...and it's beautiful. Well done!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah that looks sick

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

MG AGE II Magnum

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1067604060457492480?s=19

Because I guess they already had all those AGE MG molds lying around doing nothing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I photoshopped my old Miss Sazabi kitbash.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

MG AGE II Magnum

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1067604060457492480?s=19

Because I guess they already had all those AGE MG molds lying around doing nothing.

Even though I can see the logic (reused molds save money), it still feels weird that Build Divers and Narrative are getting MGs before IBO or G-Reco, and that side suits are getting MGs instead of the leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cat Weapons was apparently super popular, it's even getting a manga.
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1067707181653323777?s=19