Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Crotch Fruit posted:

A local store has a Lego set on clearance that is labeled as "missing pieces", would it be wrong for me to buy it in hopes that I could call up Lego and ask for the missing pieces? I'm pretty sure I would be an rear end in a top hat for doing that, I'm still kinda tempted by it just to get some random pieces.

If it's a new set, they probably mean there's a whole bag missing or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alternatively, if it's a licenced set, that someone returned a box with all the minifigures mysteriously missing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
UCS Snowspeeder is $159 at Walmart and Amazon.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Hmh. I've had a look at my finances and my Lego wishlist and I think I'm deciding not to start collecting Ninjago sets. I'll just stick with modulars, the creator cars, the winter village sets that I use instead of a christmas tree, and the odd Ideas set that I really want.

Happily, this also means that I can sell the Airjitzu temple which is still sitting in its unopened box. :q:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Habibi posted:

UCS Snowspeeder is $159 at Walmart and Amazon.

This set is extremely good and that's a great price for it.

E: drat I missed the Slave 1

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 27, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
My sisters and I decided that rather than buying each other presents for Christmas this year we’re going to all put in money for a big Lego set and build it together, and the ninjago city dock was on sale today for £140. We’ll all be in the family home over the Christmas period where our three childhoods worth of Lego is still stored in the attic and one of my sisters has kids who get to play with it all now, along with their own collection. Will be a nice way to spend some time together, and I’m excited for the set because 1: it’s a cool build in its own right 2: it has a bunch of different sections so we can take turns building it and 3: my nephew got the ninjago city last year so when we’re done he’ll have the whole lot to play with.

Now to decide if I want the UCS Y-Wing even though I have the rogue one version and like it a lot as a smaller scale version.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Porsche 911 GT3 RS is at a mind numbingly low price of $206.93 right now on amazon. Nearly 100 off! I'm kicking myself for buying it prior to today...

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Well I'll get that since I got screwed on the fishing store and slave 1

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

veni veni veni posted:

This set is extremely good and that's a great price for it.

E: drat I missed the Slave 1

And it's now $145 at Walmart, with Amazon supposedly matching but I just looked and they seem sold out at that price. Just cancelled my earlier Amazon order and bought at Walmart for an extra $20 off. Sometimes I love the internet.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Had been holding on the Saturn V, Amazon has it at 78.45 at the moment. Cheapest I’ve seen it so I went ahead and bit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Had been holding on the Saturn V, Amazon has it at 78.45 at the moment. Cheapest I’ve seen it so I went ahead and bit.

I hope you noted it says frustration free packaging, which apparently means they just slap a label on the lego box and ship it to you.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Cojawfee posted:

I hope you noted it says frustration free packaging, which apparently means they just slap a label on the lego box and ship it to you.

You can check a box in checkout for normal packaging.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fawf posted:

Oh sure, it's science when THEY do it

quote:

They developed their own metrics: the Stool Hardness and Transit (Shat) score and the Found and Retrieved Time (Fart) score.

The Fart score – how many days it took the Lego to pass through the bowels – was between 1.1 days and three days, with an average of 1.7 days.

Using the Shat score, the researchers also found the consistency of their stools did not change. They compared Shat and Fart scores to see if looser stools caused quicker retrieval but found no correlation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm starting to think there is no point in buying any sets when they come out. Everything gets discounted 30-50% at some point now. It's just a matter or waiting 1-2 years after something is released.

uXs posted:

Happily, this also means that I can sell the Airjitzu temple which is still sitting in its unopened box. :q:

Don't do it. It's one of the best sets they've ever made and you already have it. At the very least build it to see. It won't tank the value by much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm starting to think there is no point in buying any sets when they come out. Everything gets discounted 30-50% at some point now. It's just a matter or waiting 1-2 years after something is released.

Well yeah, that's most things.

Somebody LMK when you see 50% off on that Falcon set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

That's assuming you get there in time when that sale happens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My problem is that when it comes to expensive sets it's totally I mood thing. When I decide I want one I'm pretty much driving to the store right then and there, usually after a week of deliberation. I shop deals and used on a lot of other stuff, but if something like a UCS set of a ship I like comes out, or a new Ninjago city add on I'm not gonna wait around 2 years to save $40 because I am too hype. when stuff goes on sale I either already have it or I'm kind of indifferent on it if I haven't bought it.

grabbed that Ghostbuster Brickheads for $13 off Amazon though. been eyeing that for a while.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

veni veni veni posted:

grabbed that Ghostbuster Brickheads for $13 off Amazon though. been eyeing that for a while.

Venkman and Slimer? It's a great set.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Not in Germany sadly. On the larger sets the best you get is usually 20%. 30% or not is either unpopular sets of a fluke. 50% is basically never seen in my experience unless you find local deals which never apply to Munich in general.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hopper posted:

Not in Germany sadly. On the larger sets the best you get is usually 20%. 30% or not is either unpopular sets of a fluke. 50% is basically never seen in my experience unless you find local deals which never apply to Munich in general.

The only two sets I every saw with more than 40% off in the past couple of months were the buildable SW figures (got me the Speeder Bike Scout, think he looks okay) and of course to technic blue wreck.

If only that stupid chiron would go down in price. It looks rather cool, and I'd actually want it in my collection, even if it ain't a great technic set, but not for the asking price or for 20% off the asking price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was really surprised to see some big sets on sale in the official mall Lego store on Saturday. $50 off of Big Ben for instance. I didn’t think physical Lego stores ever had sales, to be honest, just promos and discounts for damage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They loving stuffed my email with ads over the weekend too. Company had a down year so maybe they're just trying to get an end of year boost.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got a bunch of lego minecraft sets for real cheap from the black friday sales and just built the lego ghast, not only is it a really clever and fun build, but the resulting disc shooting horror is a great little toy and a good rendition too.

I was kinda buying the sets for the doodads but the buildable figures are great honestly. I love the chickens, if I can get another coop or two on sale I might go for it. The pigs and mooshrooms are great too, simple and cute.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't do it. It's one of the best sets they've ever made and you already have it. At the very least build it to see. It won't tank the value by much.

You say that but I'm more of a fan of denser builds, so if there's any Ninjago set I really want it'd be the city. The temple is a bit too sparse, too light for me.

So either I'd get just the city (which I still might do), or I'd have to get all of the sets to make it all really big. But I'm starting to feel that I don't really have to money or the space for that.

Yeah, just the city as a one-off because it's a huge-rear end building sounds good to me. I'm loving the GB firehouse for the same reason.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

smackfu posted:

I was really surprised to see some big sets on sale in the official mall Lego store on Saturday. $50 off of Big Ben for instance. I didn’t think physical Lego stores ever had sales, to be honest, just promos and discounts for damage.

I haven’t been going to LEGO stores until v recently but the one I went into had the chess set on sale but for less than Black Friday.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just finished building the Old Fishing Store.

I think this is somewhere in the top three Lego sets I ever built in the last thirty years.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

tuo posted:

I just finished building the Old Fishing Store.

I think this is somewhere in the top three Lego sets I ever built in the last thirty years.

Is it that good? I’ve been putting it off. The most fun I’ve had building was probably the Volkswagen Camper, or the Detective’s Studio.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's quite a good set. Not too repetitive (only downside of Sat V) and it looks great when done and the interior is just stuffed with interesting things.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

obi_ant posted:

Is it that good? I’ve been putting it off. The most fun I’ve had building was probably the Volkswagen Camper, or the Detective’s Studio.

it's really, really, really good. There is so much detail and pure charme in this set, that I don't even know how to describe it. It's a set where if someone says "meh, didn't like it", I wouldn't even know how to approach him.

The look of it is awesome, and you can loose yourself in all the details. It is great fun to build. It is packed (maybe packed a bit too much on the inside? I don't know) with details. The colors are awesome. All important parts are prints, no decals.

I am absolutely in love with it, and it ranks (in comparission) at the top of any modular buildings I know.

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 27, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Scipiotik posted:

It's quite a good set. Not too repetitive (only downside of Sat V) and it looks great when done and the interior is just stuffed with interesting things.

When I finished my Sat V, I dropped it, because I am stupid. So I had to build the whole thing again (everyone who built one: the inside structure split out, no chance to rebuild or reattach all the outer parts). Still love it :)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

It's not as good as the Detective's Studio, IMO.

I'd put it behind the last 4 or 5 modulars. It's a great set, though. Just not as interesting a build.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

obi_ant posted:

The most fun I’ve had building was probably the Volkswagen Camper

*fistbump* Love the camper van build.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

F40 was the best. :colbert:

That thing is someone's masterpiece.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love the F40.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

uXs posted:

You say that but I'm more of a fan of denser builds, so if there's any Ninjago set I really want it'd be the city. The temple is a bit too sparse, too light for me.

So either I'd get just the city (which I still might do), or I'd have to get all of the sets to make it all really big. But I'm starting to feel that I don't really have to money or the space for that.

Yeah, just the city as a one-off because it's a huge-rear end building sounds good to me. I'm loving the GB firehouse for the same reason.

Ninjago is rough, because I love a lot of the sets, but it's too much to try and collect. So I just settled on getting Ninjago City and related sets and it's probably my favorite set. Similarly I love the modulars but didn't want to go down that rabbit hole.

That said, you looking for trades on TOA? and How much $$ are you looking for on it? I do like that set.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

The fishing store hype has me excited to see how the tree house turns out. That scene resonates a little more with me than a sea side fishing store. I got in early enough for a Black Friday fishing store but I still ended up on the back order list.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

veni veni veni posted:

That said, you looking for trades on TOA? and How much $$ are you looking for on it? I do like that set.

I don't need the money right away so I'm probably going to sit on it some more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^^No prob. Not money I should be spending anyways.

Like 75% of Lego Ideas front page is Harry Potter now which, irrc aren't even eligible. Also, they stopped showing how many votes submissions have, weird.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's not as good as the Detective's Studio, IMO.

I'd put it behind the last 4 or 5 modulars. It's a great set, though. Just not as interesting a build.

I just did the first set of bags on the Detective's Office last night and I love the pool table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I had bought the fishing store instead of the parisian restaurant. Don't get me wrong it's a gorgeous set, but it's better suited to being part of a city block than on it's own and I have no idea what to do with it since I have no other modulars.