Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Totally don't just google fallout vault 13 tattoo, oh also don't understand sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Powershift posted:

lol, imagine accidentally getting TWO nazi lookin tattoos.

“Accidentally”

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Powershift posted:

Yeah, they're everywhere on the Atlantic coast of West Virginia.

Just like the famous soft-shelled crabs of West Virginia, which are populous and plentiful in its many saltwater seaways.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Good thing it’s not Fallout 88

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Setting aside Todd Howard, because gently caress anyone who buys anything because a Silicon Valley executive told them to, the game basically shipped in an unfinished state, and the rise of Twitch culture and the existing malcontent over Fallout 4 combined to really change the math on what put people will put up with from a Bethesda game. As well, they clearly didn't think through what the capabilities and possibilities of their online game experience should be, so it's mostly just Shittier Fallout 4 But At Least They Didn't Write a Story. They're so bad at story that it's actually legit a selling point that they didn't really try to do one beyond limited set pieces this time.

It's not clear that the people working at Bethesda even "get" Fallout anymore. The story is that VaultTec literally intended Vault 76 to rescue the West Virginia area, no strings attached. That's not how VaultTec or really any Fallout corporation works. This is the company that made supermutants. Because survival games don't have NPCs they didn't really put any in, forgetting that the NPCs are a major component of why Fallout even works as a game for anyone--and even then they couldn't resist putting in vendors.

There are Control Vaults that weren't meant to be some grand gently caress around, but also 76 isn't entirely a control Vault. The intention was for Vault 76 to regain control of West Virginia and have the Overseer secure the nuclear missile production and launch silos for the sole use of VaultTec

edit: notably Vault 8 and Vault 3, if you're looking for """"True Canon"""" examples.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Totally don't just google fallout vault 13 tattoo, oh also don't understand sarcasm.

I fact check every poster

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magmarashi posted:

There are Control Vaults that weren't meant to be some grand gently caress around, but also 76 isn't entirely a control Vault. The intention was for Vault 76 to regain control of West Virginia and have the Overseer secure the nuclear missile production and launch silos for the sole use of VaultTec

I like to pretend everyone in vault 76 is actually named Evan to make it an experiment. You don't get to show your character name in game but I thought it would be funny if everyone was named that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The "I really thought this game would be good so I bought it for $60 on day one and it turns out it's actually as bad as everyone said it would be" posts give me life :allears:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

lol if you're gonna get a video game tattoo, at least get something from a good game

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So, Thread. Can anyone give me a recommendation for New Vegas Gameplay/Graphics overhauls? Complete packages preferred

I usually start here in addition to the NV thread that was already linked:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Essarrbee/FalloutNewVegas

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

lol if you're gonna get a video game tattoo, at least get something from a good game

This is a trick, all games are bad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Magmarashi posted:

It's tricky as well because things change. I remember when Vault Boy was almost an inside joke, whereas now he's heavily merchandised.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Pararoid posted:

It's tricky as well because things change. I remember when Vault Boy was almost an inside joke, whereas now he's heavily merchandised.

It is the way of all things to become overexposed and terrible

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hamshot posted:

It does a big green fart sometimes that (I'm guessing) turns people into the scorched, who look like ghouls but with burned skin and green crystals.

I guarantee at one point during development they breathed green fire, i.e. the fire textures from dragons in Skyrim recolored green, and that's where the whole scorchbeast/scorched thing came from. Someone at Bethesda might've decided in a rare moment of lucidity that they shouldn't be completely and wholly creatively bankrupt and changed the fire to blue rings (implying sonic attacks I guess, because bats?) instead.

Oh I wanted to post about this and forgot. Also alot of spoilers.

The scorchbeast actually *had* nothing to do with the scorch plague stuff. The government was drilling for a new mineral ultracite driving competing companies Hornwright Industrial and Garrahan Mining to new heights in competition. Garrahan mining attempted to keep human workers in the loop by developing Excavator power armor while Hornwright supported automation while cutting out workers to increase profits. Hornwright and Garrahan even had a man vs machine event which their new excavator power armor lost to the robot worker basically bankrupting the company. The government ended up deciding that even Hornwright's robots weren't going fast enough for their progress and opted to set off nuclear bombs underground to speed up mining.

Now to know if the scorchbeast mutated from the nuclear mining or the great war I'm not sure but the scorchbeast is not actually the source of the scorch plague. It was a chemical warfare developed by the US government that worked on. Senator Sam Blackwell noticed his daughter was affected by it after the great war. He knew the remains of the US government would have access to cure it in the presidential bunker located under the Whitesprings Resort but he had a problem. After the great war or before the great war he went into hiding because he was considered an enemy of the enclave and wanted to execute him for treason. So he could bring his daughter to the presidential bunker but that would mean he and her just might be executed. After his daughter died he ventured out of his hidden bunker to join a community and at one point was spotted by an enclave agent he later killed. The community noted that a murderer or some kind of new mutant monster is on the loose and Sam again went back into hiding in his bunker after baiting his own bunker for lure in some kind of predatory animal. Enclave assassin found the bunker killed Sam and then promptly died to a deathclaw that had made the entrance to the bunker his new nest.

So to bring the two together, scorchbeasts are just apt carriers of the plague and they actually die to it themselves. There's an cavern that is also the nest of the scorchbeasts and its litered with the corpses of scorch infested corpses of scorchbeasts and several other larger mutant animals. The only reason the plague is so well expanding is because scorchbeasts themselves are an apex predator.

So basically this game is rewriting that the king monster in the fallout series is not a skyrim werewolf deathclaw but a mutant bat.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 27, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Magmarashi posted:

edit: notably Vault 8 and Vault 3, if you're looking for """"True Canon"""" examples.

76 appears to be a Vault 101 style Vault, intended to actually re-open and establish civilization. They aren't an experimental Vault. It was likely placed so that the best and brightest would be handy to become support structure for the Enclave bunker when they decided to emerge.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 27, 2018

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

:yeah:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Magmarashi posted:

if so, don't pay sixty dollars for one

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also less connected to the scorchbeast stuff

Hornwright started offering towns flat payments for mining rights. So instead of paying miners and create jobs for the town they would pay the government and cut out the jobs for the humans. This then added communist thoughts to the community and also fueled the worker strikes that didn't want to be a communist but wanted to fight what they had. The local government unable to handle this then also turned to automation to create robotic strike breakers. This would be the start of the replacement of the human police force. This was working so well for them that they then turned to change the prison system. They replaced all the guards with robot guards, added turrets, and strapped bomb collars to all the inmates.

There's a funny entry in a talking about how one guy moved too far and his head exploded. And then they commented "that will show them to not pay their parking tickets".

Also quickly after the removal of the guards, a large portion of the inmates after learning that the robot guards were less keen to their cunning learned how to remove the bomb collars and escape. Which they did like right away. The robot wardens weren't made to handle the situation so they started roaming the country side attacking basically anyone. They are still doing it 100 years after the bombs fell.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

76 appears to be a Vault 101 style Vault, intended to actually re-open and establish civilization. They aren't an experimental Vault. It was likely placed so that the best and brightest would be handy to become support structure for the Enclave bunker when they decided to emerge.

Vault 101 was never intended to reopen, ever, and was not a control vault.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They also didn't supply 101 with enough food and most likely hoped that the crew of vault 101 would either die or leave the vault.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Also less connected to the scorchbeast stuff

Hornwright started offering towns flat payments for mining rights. So instead of paying miners and create jobs for the town they would pay the government and cut out the jobs for the humans. This then added communist thoughts to the community and also fueled the worker strikes that didn't want to be a communist but wanted to fight what they had. The local government unable to handle this then also turned to automation to create robotic strike breakers. This would be the start of the replacement of the human police force. This was working so well for them that they then turned to change the prison system. They replaced all the guards with robot guards, added turrets, and strapped bomb collars to all the inmates.

There's a funny entry in a talking about how one guy moved too far and his head exploded. And then they commented "that will show them to not pay their parking tickets".

Also quickly after the removal of the guards, a large portion of the inmates after learning that the robot guards were less keen to their cunning learned how to remove the bomb collars and escape. Which they did like right away. The robot wardens weren't made to handle the situation so they started roaming the country side attacking basically anyone. They are still doing it 100 years after the bombs fell.

Yeah they really painted a very good Fully Automated Capitalism Hellscape this time around

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

skyrim werewolf deathclaw

This poo poo is approaching cloudbush levels for me now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah they really painted a very good Fully Automated Capitalism Hellscape this time around

The plot is alot more with what is happening the world now and I'm happy they didn't make another fallout that relied on slavery from the civil war. There is still some civil war stuff in this game but its also tonned down.

NofrikinfuN posted:

This poo poo is approaching cloudbush levels for me now.

Hey blame fallout 4 for using the werewolf model.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They also couldn't tell this story with a normal fallout or a normal game either way. And I doubt the idea of the story came first but the entire story is fractured groups not working together because of reasons and being completely inept at being able to confront it alone.

Brotherhood tried to fight it alone, they didn't wait to let the Reponders know or ask them for research help, most likely under the idea that they can't let any one try to use the new threat or technology. The Free States helped both the Responders and the Brotherhood but were too small themselves. The Free States might have been the first group heavily affected by the scorch plague that escalated from there. The Raiders had almost no clue what was happening and only gained ground after they killed off the Mistresses of Mystery. The raiders also fractured after facing the scorched. Mistresses of Mystery failed because internal struggles which the raiders exploited to wipe them out. Responders basically had no combat effectiveness, they were emts and basic infrastruction type of group that could mostly handle defending themselves to a degree but they were also responsible for laying the ground work the railroad trading outposts.

... Well I guess there is one faction that was able to deal with the scorchbeast problem but the all the humans in the enclave were wiped out but this was ok because the Enclave was also behind with replacing people with robots. I guess the Responders are also still around with their robot helpers and train trading posts.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 27, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

so thats the best story they could come up with lol

fallout 76's main story - bad
fallout 4's main story - bad
skyrim's main story - bad
oblivion's main story - bad
fallout 3's main story - bad
morrowind's main story - boring but passable

wow we had to go back 16 years before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo

worked at bethesda. oh he signed on for bloodmoon, I bet that's why that expansion was poo poo too.

e: holy lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Also they have said that there will be joinable factions so I'm guessing you will be able to join the Responders, Free States, Brotherhood, or the Raiders at one point. I think because the Enclave is connected to the entire nuke system that everyone will always be welcome there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Liquid Communism posted:

"best and brightest" from those who payed a $60 admission fee to be a part of the vault :haw:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Also they have said that there will be joinable factions so I'm guessing you will be able to join the Responders, Free States, Brotherhood, or the Raiders at one point. I think because the Enclave is connected to the entire nuke system that everyone will always be welcome there.

There isnt a season pass. None of this will be added in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DLC is free. They said this before the game was released. People peeped the the files and there's 8 dlc listed or something.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
TheRestOfTheGame.dat2

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I really don't see Bethesda sticking with this game at all and I expect it to just die.

Like most early access survival sims.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

I'm guessing the phone in any updates because why stop now?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/461985-fallout-76-lawsuit-possible-bethesda-alleged-deceptive-practices
Possible Fallout 76 Lawsuit Leveled at Bethesda for Alleged Deceptive Practices

So long story short, Bethesda is refusing to honor refunds for Fallout 76 on PC because of a clause in the EULA that says you're not entitled to a refund for downloaded copies of the game. The catch here is, that there were never any physical copies of the game on PC. Even if you bought a PC copy from say, Wal-Mart, the case had a little cardboard cut out in the shape of a disc that had the cd key on it for you to download through Bethesda.net.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/457841-fallout-76-cardboard-discs-pc

So now some DC law firm with a history of consumer & labor class actions smells blood in the water.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That same clause in the EULA is why you cant return copies of the PS4/Xbone versions to GameStop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Could bethesda make a game so terrible that Todd actually gives some rights back to consumers? Tune in to find out. Same Todd Time, Same Todd Channel.