Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a person at the intersection of "Vampire fan" and "loves to trigger the libs" is virtually guaranteed to be Extremely Online, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kai Tave posted:

Tons of people irl love to "trigger the libs," my last boss was the literal embodiment of die-hard Trumpism and I got to hear these sentiments and more on a daily basis. Assuming that attitude is a strictly Extremely Online thing is setting yourself up for disappointment. However I imagine the Venn Diagram crossover with the average person interested in a new edition of Vampire is fairly thin. BENGHAZI 2's experience doesn't strike me as unusual as keeping tabs on the ins and outs of tabletop RPGs is still a very niche sort of hobby, and it's entirely plausible that the average nostalgic Vampire fan has no idea who Martin Ericsson even is and no idea what the heck's been going on with his stewardship of the line up to and including angering the Chechen government.

I tried explaining it to my boss and he refused to believe that 1488 is a Nazi thing they came up with themselves so yeah I'm definitely betting that the more chuddy vtm players are people who are incredibly online

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Apparently 7 whole chapters of Far West were sent to backers.

If you need me, I’ll be digging a bunker to hide in since surely this is a sign of the end of days.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Apparently 7 whole chapters of Far West were sent to backers.

If you need me, I’ll be digging a bunker to hide in since surely this is a sign of the end of days.
Aren't they the same seven chapters he sent around years ago, only with all the "D20"s scratched out and replaced with "D6"s?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, there've been at least six chapters available to backers in various forms for literally years.

And the book is supposed to be like 13-14 chapters.

Are any of the recently released chapters the rules? Because he never showed anyone those.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
GMS redid the rules using the old d6 Star Wars system, right? So did it turn out to be a better or worse fit than d20 for his kung fu western game?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

GMS redid the rules using the old d6 Star Wars system, right? So did it turn out to be a better or worse fit than d20 for his kung fu western game?

We'll never know since he never actually released the d20 rules.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I imagine it'd be a little better since d6 is a better "generic" system than d20, but it's still a bland as hell system that doesn't do anything beyond being a die resolution mechanic. So it's till going to be dead in the water.

Oh, and GMS was supposed to be doing updates every Friday but that died out after like two months.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The absurd thing is that D6 is such a simple system and is already at least intended for vaguely similar gunfights-and-martial-arts action stuff to Far West (whether it delivers on that is another question but it's not like GMS is going to extensively playtest this poo poo), and has its own OGL and everything. It really shouldn't require that much work to get the system chapter done and out there at this stage.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Warthur posted:

The absurd thing is that D6 is such a simple system and is already at least intended for vaguely similar gunfights-and-martial-arts action stuff to Far West (whether it delivers on that is another question but it's not like GMS is going to extensively playtest this poo poo), and has its own OGL and everything. It really shouldn't require that much work to get the system chapter done and out there at this stage.

This is literally what he should have done years ago -- paste it onto an existing, functional system and eat some poo poo for turning out a substandard game. Instead, he seated himself at the end of a poo poo conveyor belt, and has been eating a stream of it all this time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

We'll never know since he never actually released the d20 rules.

The old backer previews didn't have the rules in them? What was in the 7 chapters he released years ago then?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

The old backer previews didn't have the rules in them? What was in the 7 chapters he released years ago then?

I think backers have gotten everything, including character creation, except the "these are the actual rules you use to play the game" chapter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

homullus posted:

This is literally what he should have done years ago -- paste it onto an existing, functional system and eat some poo poo for turning out a substandard game. Instead, he seated himself at the end of a poo poo conveyor belt, and has been eating a stream of it all this time.

The thing is, the game did originally use an existing functional system. It was using class d20 with aspects glued on.

Yhe original delays were from the Mythical Chapter 9, which was the gming chapter.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing is, the game did originally use an existing functional system. It was using class d20 with aspects glued on.

Yhe original delays were from the Mythical Chapter 9, which was the gming chapter.

That's particularly bizarre, given that half-assing the GMing advice chapter is such an industry standard at this point that it really makes me sit up and take notice when I find a book which doesn't phone that stuff in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

That's particularly bizarre, given that half-assing the GMing advice chapter is such an industry standard at this point that it really makes me sit up and take notice when I find a book which doesn't phone that stuff in.

You are simply unprepared for how GMS will blow your mind on his GM style. Only the hottest of takes. In fact the reason it's taking so long is the pages need to be specially heat resistant to handle it all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

You are simply unprepared for how GMS will blow your mind on his GM style. Only the hottest of takes. In fact the reason it's taking so long is the pages need to be specially heat resistant to handle it all.

I didn’t know GMS was Venger Satanis.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

It's going to be just a copy/paste of Wick's Play Dirty.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

It's going to be just a copy/paste of Wick's Play Dirty.

Play Dirty 3: It's Not By Wick, Is Your Blown Mind Yet?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Surprising nobody, rpgnow is going to finally disappear and everything will now just be DTRPG.

They have been the same thing for 12 years so I don't know what took them so long.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I visited the White Wolf booth at PAX Unplugged.

https://i.imgur.com/AJOZ7Cl.jpg

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rhandhali posted:

I visited the White Wolf booth at PAX Unplugged.

https://i.imgur.com/AJOZ7Cl.jpg

Well, that's about what one would expect.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, what I'm getting from this is that they cancelled their appearance?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
At the last minute actually

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

So, what I'm getting from this is that they cancelled their appearance?

Pretty much. They had a substantial spot of real estate set aside that is now just a void in the vendors hall.

Onyx path is here though. And so is Green Ronin, handing out rainbow “Gaymer” and “Ally” stick on ribbons.

Definitely less of a sweaty neck beard vibe than Gencon, but I haven’t been to a con since Gencon 2013.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Rhandhali posted:

And so is Green Ronin, handing out rainbow “Gaymer” and “Ally” stick on ribbons.

Ask them if the timeline is ready.

(don't actually harass con booth staff)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Rhandhali posted:

And so is Green Ronin, handing out rainbow “Gaymer” and “Ally” stick on ribbons.

That’s quite brazen of them, like almost insultingly so. Like, I wouldn’t harass the staff but I don’t think that Green Ronin has the right to call anyone an ally.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
As a pansexual trans woman, if your “inclusive” options are ally or “gaymer” I will vomit on you and not feel bad about it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Meinberg posted:

That’s quite brazen of them, like almost insultingly so. Like, I wouldn’t harass the staff but I don’t think that Green Ronin has the right to call anyone an ally.
Kind of on point, given how lovely most self-proclaimed “allies” turn out to be in practice.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

dwarf74 posted:

Surprising nobody, rpgnow is going to finally disappear and everything will now just be DTRPG.

They have been the same thing for 12 years so I don't know what took them so long.

Tech debt, Accumulating the more time went on? Why is any website bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

As a pansexual trans woman, if your “inclusive” options are ally or “gaymer” I will vomit on you and not feel bad about it.

yea what a powerful example of 'it literally would be better to just do nothing'.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Golden Bee posted:

Tech debt, Accumulating the more time went on? Why is any website bad

No, by "the same thing" it's meant that RpgNOW and DrivethruRPG are the same website. Not that neither has evolved.

I assume there was initially some imprint / branding rationale for it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Originally RPGNow was for indie games and DTRPG was for "big" companies but that didn't last long.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^^ :argh:

RPGNow branded itself as "for Indie RPGs." This was never particularly effective and instead of being a way to showcase games that would never get much attention on DTRPG, it was just a whole website where those games weren't getting attention. It was useless market fragmentation, though to be fair they were originally totally separate entities that merged in 2006.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sales rankings were still separated by site, so if half your buyers used one and the rest used the other you'd be stuck lower down the rankings than you should be, losing visibility and all that. Apparently they finally changed that recently.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

At one point DTRPG limited the number of times you could download something, and IIRC used some sort of heavy duty DRM on the files. I don't think it really took off until they moved to the watermarking system and removed the download limit.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
My latest blog post applies the Hegelian dialectic to the subject of politics in games, to try to find a new model for addressing serious issues within them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
More odd drama: apparently a warehouse destroyed copies of She Bleeds, a LotFP supplement that's basically "periods are magic". https://www.geeknative.com/63810/warehouse-destroys-disgusting-lamentations-of-the-flame-princess-rpg-supplement/ (for some reason it is being repeated on other Internet sources that they burned them, but I don't think there's any evidence of that nor any reason why they'd do so)

It was a distributor who did the destruction and the books were already bought from the publisher, so it's not active destruction of property, but there's a lot of complaint about whether buying the books and then destroying them is active censorship of the author's work or not, or if it's just correction for a product that wouldn't sell and isn't worth storing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The usual OSR crowd are trying their hardest to make it a free speech / censorship / prudishness issue, when it's extremely likely that they were pulped because they needed the space and that product wasn't moving. Nobody in that warehouse would have cared enough to read the book and make a decision about its contents and writing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

The usual OSR crowd are trying their hardest to make it a free speech / censorship / prudishness issue, when it's extremely likely that they were pulped because they needed the space and that product wasn't moving. Nobody in that warehouse would have cared enough to read the book and make a decision about its contents and writing.

Yeah, there is absolutely no way that a distributor bought a bunch of books solely to destroy them. Those were destroyed for inability to find a buyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Slow-moving book stock gets pulped all the time. I'm a little surprised they didn't dump in on some discount book wholesaler for pennies on the dollar, but maybe the subject matter made that too much hassle.