Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kibayasu posted:

The biggest problem I had with GoW is that it gave you no information about whether an area/fight was level appropriate or was going to kill you in one hit and there being no way to run from the latter without dying and restarting or just restarting.

The quick death and checkponting should tell you.

The problem I had was that if you DO dark souls through a tough meatwall the rewards are almost never significant. It's really not worth it to try to do a cool challange when you find it, which I think if you do an epic perfect run on and enemy you should get a cool reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I enjoyed GOW so much I finished it and immediately hit new game and finished it again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JBP posted:

I enjoyed GOW so much I finished it and immediately hit new game and finished it again.

Ng+ wasnt there when I played and there are just too many good games.

Playing Fist of the North Star now and drat they made Yakuza combat fun and deadly and good. Games making me care about these musclie anime mans.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

The quick death and checkponting should tell you.

The problem I had was that if you DO dark souls through a tough meatwall the rewards are almost never significant. It's really not worth it to try to do a cool challange when you find it, which I think if you do an epic perfect run on and enemy you should get a cool reward.

I did say the death tells you, it’s just dumb when the rest of the game tries it’s damndest to never show a loading screen or throw up info boxes on the screen that the only way to get out of a fight you know you can’t win is a loading screen. The Valkyrie fights the game gives you the option to go or not go so why not others. If they didn’t want to have a level recommendation on screen they could have given BOI a few dialogue lines or something to indicate you may want to come back later. “Feels like this place is really dangerous, maybe we’re not ready,” “This place could be hard but we might be able to beat it” and then nothing for same level or below. Anything like that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've been thinking about it after having played all of the big games out this year that I could afford to, and god of war is def my goty. lotta great ones in 2018 but that's the one that stuck with me the most

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bombadilillo posted:

Ng+ wasnt there when I played and there are just too many good games.

Playing Fist of the North Star now and drat they made Yakuza combat fun and deadly and good. Games making me care about these musclie anime mans.

Nor was it there for me, but that didn't stop me playing through again! I loved it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JBP posted:

Nor was it there for me, but that didn't stop me playing through again! I loved it.

Weirdly enough I did this with RDR2 and then booted up GTAV for a new run. Definitely got myself some kind of Rockstar itch that needs scratching.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I beat Spiderman. Act 3 was a mixed bag but the boss fights were spectacular. Gonna put it down for a while, maybe I'll go back to 100% it eventually. Time for cowboy sinulator.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For as much as I bitched about RDR2 it's grown on me immensely and will definitely be one of my favorite games of the year unless it takes a big dump at the end. I still have pretty much every complaint I ever had about it, but it just has too much good stuff to ignore.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like that's how most people think by the end of the game. the problems aren't as big a deal once you understand the game and now how to work around/ignore most of them, and rdr2's strong points are incredible

that's prob my second favorite game of the year. it'd be first if there weren't so many annoying bits along the way, but it'll prob stick with me longer than anything I played this year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

beep by grandpa posted:

Let's just get down to business. Who in this thread hasn't played ANY of the following?: Yakuza 0, God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, NieR: Automata

if yes, WTF are u doing, stop posting cause you're wasting your life posting your unenlightened BS itt instead of playing awesome once-in-a-generation video games. play them all and become galaxy-brained (like me)

Someday, Good, No Interest, God Tier, God Tier

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Counterfeit gang tags :negative:

Like I would never have gotten the Knack tag if I hadn't legitimately played through all of it

It was a mix up. I used to be only BBB. Then I changed my av and it deleted my tags. I requested BBB and NieR and there was a mixup at the VG cookie factory and I got Yakuza. :shrug: I'll play it when I'm in the mood.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also I have no interest in playing Nier on account of it being way too goddamn anime. Sorry grandpa.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

For as much as I bitched about RDR2 it's grown on me immensely and will definitely be one of my favorite games of the year unless it takes a big dump at the end. I still have pretty much every complaint I ever had about it, but it just has too much good stuff to ignore.

There are several big dumps at the end.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Let's just get down to business. Who in this thread hasn't played ANY of the following?: Yakuza 0, God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, NieR: Automata

if yes, WTF are u doing, stop posting cause you're wasting your life posting your unenlightened BS itt instead of playing awesome once-in-a-generation video games. play them all and become galaxy-brained (like me)
Owns, rented and don't wanna argue against it but instantly confirmed my lack of interest, rented and will buy whenever it's cheap and I'm not burnt out on open-worlds, owns, owns

Still need to finish DQXI and Octopath and I never actually finished BotW or Mario x Rabbids so I should probably do those, oh yeah also Hollow Knight, gently caress I got to the last boss rush level of Shovel Knight and then there's the DLCs of that too oh poo poo TOO MANY GAMES

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 27, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Haha I've kind of heard that although I've amazingly avoided almost any spoilers whatsoever. Either way at this point I'm sure I'll walk away with thinking it's equal parts fantastic and bad. For better or worse it's been a memorable experience. It's not going to be some ubisoft game I forget the second I put it down.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RDR2 is my GOTY. I can’t even pretend like anything is close even though this has been a hugely packed year full of amazing games.

Bombadilillo posted:

That and the straight up marvel end-credits scene make me want to wait and play though GOW roght before Gow2-2(?!?!) Comes out.

I hope it starts you with all your skills and just adds to it. I'm usually a guy to stick to a few combos. But GOW I felt so competent at all aspects of the combat system which I attribute to the game long tutorial.

:same: I can’t loving wait for the first glimpse of 2.

I felt the same way. I am very into Bayonetta/DMC/Revengeance/etc but GoW had a balance between being able to rely on the basics while letting you improvise in really cool ways. It set it far apart from other action brawlers. It never felt like doing combos. It was organic like a real fight. I loved how switching to your fists wasn’t a downgrade at all. In GoW if something looks and sounds powerful then you’re almost guaranteed that it will be useful in combat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JBP posted:

I'm just gonna have to whole heartedly disagree. The plot is absolutely a downer and the Guarma bit is too short, but it's fantastic regardless. I would love to see some DLC for it or a remake of the original in the new engine like was being rumored for a while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Haha I've kind of heard that although I've amazingly avoided almost any spoilers whatsoever. Either way at this point I'm sure I'll walk away with thinking it's equal parts fantastic and bad. For better or worse it's been a memorable experience. It's not going to be some ubisoft game I forget the second I put it down.

Oh don't get me wrong I loved the entire end of the game. There's some dumps in there though. Dedicated RDR2 fans will get me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dewgy posted:

I'm just gonna have to whole heartedly disagree. The plot is absolutely a downer and the Guarma bit is too short, but it's fantastic regardless. I would love to see some DLC for it or a remake of the original in the new engine like was being rumored for a while.

I'm talkin about mucking out the cow poo poo

Also high five fellow Guarma enjoyer!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: ^^ OH THAT. That was great. :haw: The terror of the turds!

JBP posted:

Oh don't get me wrong I loved the entire end of the game. There's some dumps in there though. Dedicated RDR2 fans will get me.

If you mean how they killed my dear good horsey buddy Hamstack, who lived through every god drat thing else OK yeah I'll grant you that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I feel like that's how most people think by the end of the game. the problems aren't as big a deal once you understand the game and now how to work around/ignore most of them, and rdr2's strong points are incredible

that's prob my second favorite game of the year. it'd be first if there weren't so many annoying bits along the way, but it'll prob stick with me longer than anything I played this year

I'm going to be the odd one here and say the story was great but the shooting was awful. And the missions that don't involve shooting 20 dudes were some of my favorites.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol that's prob gonna be a very common opinion of rdr2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I rebought Thumper so I could play it in VR.

Being able to see the track stretch off into the distance is both very cool and also is making the gameplay more intuitive I think

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Also I have no interest in playing Nier on account of it being way too goddamn anime. Sorry grandpa.

Hello this was me for over a year and now it’s one of my top 10 games of all time. It really is good enough to transcend that poo poo.

———

So what is everyone playing right now??? I’m spending more time on my switch atm because I can play Pokemon while catching up on TV, but still getting through Astro Bot, which is just so goddamn good ugh

also I feel like we didn’t yell at Beanpole enough for the Yakuza thing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

So what is everyone playing right now??? I’m spending more time on my switch atm because I can play Pokemon while catching up on TV, but still getting through Astro Bot, which is just so goddamn good ugh

Right now my main three games are RDR2 for my main long play immersive story game, Battlefield V for my mp shooter with blopsiiii on the side when I want to be more casual/listen to podcasts, and Tetris Effect for the FllOOoWw and also for doing the chill marathon mode during ~podcasts~. It’s a great balance.

BP PLAY YAKUZA 0

Manatee Cannon posted:

lol that's prob gonna be a very common opinion of rdr2

Shooting and story are equal for me. It’s my favorite third person shooter since Max Payne 3 and I think I like the shooting in RDR2 more. I’m getting way better at it every time I boot up the game. Haven’t even bothered changing my control settings even though people have been recommending that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just bought tetris effect because I realised it's actually by the lumines dudes this gon be good

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

I just bought tetris effect because I realised it's actually by the lumines dudes this gon be good

You made the best choice you could’ve made on this night. Congratulations on buying Kilometers Davis’ favorite puzzle game on the Sony PlayStation 4. Sink into it my man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I used to play Lumines like a maniac and get sad when the psp ran out of gas. I'm psyched for some crazy visuals and bricks.

E: "headphones or surround sound recommended for maximum enjoyment"

Oh baby don't tease me this way Tetris Effect, I'm all about maximum enjoyment

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 27, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hello this was me for over a year and now it’s one of my top 10 games of all time. It really is good enough to transcend that poo poo.

———

I'm finishing Horizon's Frozen Wilds DLC then I'm gonna do some VR stuff and replay Yakuza 0 on Legend to get the Platinum. I'm slowly working on getting Platinum for every Western-released Yakuza game so that's fun. I have Super Robot Wars X in the mail, and after the holidays I'm probably gonna play Ni no Kuni 2 or Dragon Quest 11.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A voyage of emotion and discovery!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JBP posted:

ooo didn't know they made the game. that makes me a lot more interested in it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hahah I just got an email from Playstation for the first time in months (if not years) and it says: Hey! We know you're a huge fan of Yakuza0 so go to the store and buy Yakuza6 The Song of Life!

Spooky! :D

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

ooo didn't know they made the game. that makes me a lot more interested in it

It's got all the awesome new age poo poo from Lumines, get it. I'm just fixing myself a cup of tea before I put on the good cans and descend into a world of great gaming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m so glad I bought 6 in a bundle with 0 so once I finish all the rest it’ll be there waiting for me :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Escobarbarian posted:

So what is everyone playing right now???

I'm playing FO76. It actually is as borked as the "haters" would lead you to believe. (Some people say they haven't seen bugs as frequently as me.)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

BP PLAY YAKUZA 0

I will play Y0 as soon as you play BB :getin:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I just platted Spiderman. I’m about to have vacation in a few weeks, so I think I will finally finish GOW and HZD. They’ve been in my backlog forever, I enjoy them, but they are so immersive that I feel like I need to set aside a bunch of time to play them and I haven’t had that kinda time this year between stuff like Yakuza and FFXIV.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

I'm playing FO76. It actually is as borked as the "haters" would lead you to believe. (Some people say they haven't seen bugs as frequently as me.)
Leaving aside bugs, are the other awful things I have read about the game things that can be patched?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OK so I think Lumines is a better game after playing the first three Tetris Effect journey levels but holy poo poo this is good. Neat additions like the zone.

I'll give my real review after playing chill deep sea mode marathon while high as gently caress. I'm a bit annoyed that I can't change spin and drop buttons. I'm used to using up and down to spin blocks and face buttons to dump or speed them up so I keep hitting up and loving my game. I can even remember the last time I played Tetris so this is some lizard brain stuff developed a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

A voyage of emotion and discovery!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_SwOf0Ydts

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 27, 2018