Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I'm only about a half dozen sessions into my first D&D Next and there are still a few things I'm trying to figure out...

Realistically is there any reason to carry a longbow around as opposed to a crossbow? It seems the range on longbows is 150ft/600ft. all of our combat happens on a battlemat.

I'm playing as a rogue so my options for ranged attack are either thrown dagger or some kind of bow. Am I wrong to think a longbow is incredibly situational wheras a small crossbow or hand crossbow could actually be used in most dungeons?
Yeah there is a reason to carry a light crossbow over a longbow if you are a rogue and it's that the rogue class doesn't give you proficiency in longbow. The exception is elf rogue because they have that proficiency as a racial weapon proficiency. If you can use a longbow get one, for the higher range and damage dice, but otherwise light crossbow is your best range weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

KillerQueen posted:

Anybody here know how a player character would make constructs, like Shield Guardians? Picking up the game for the first time in a while and I noticed there are a bunch of monsters that basically say "wizards make them" without telling me how wizards can make them.

They use magic.

Real answer: if you're the GM, make something up, there are no actual rules. If you're a player, ask the GM to make up some rules, or come up with your own and see what they think.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Also try starting a fight from 600 ft away outdoors, not much most monsters can do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KillerQueen posted:

Anybody here know how a player character would make constructs, like Shield Guardians? Picking up the game for the first time in a while and I noticed there are a bunch of monsters that basically say "wizards make them" without telling me how wizards can make them.

There is actually.

For something like a Shield Guardian. I would just make version of this item that makes Shield Guardians instead.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Crossbow Expert lets you ignore the Loading property, but needing a free hand to reload is part of the Ammunition rule.

Dual-wielding Hand Crossbows just doesn't work, period.
Yes, but this bit lets you hold a hand crossbow in one hand, shoot with it, then shoot again with the same crossbow as a bonus action.

quote:

When you use the Attack action and attack with a one handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.
If you're not planning this route then your best bet is a heavy crossbow, 1d10 damage and 100/400 range.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 24, 2018

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

gradenko_2000 posted:

this was only a rule in 4e, and does not happen unless otherwise specified

so I should be carrying a lot of daggers if I plan to throw them in combat then...

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah there is a reason to carry a light crossbow over a longbow if you are a rogue and it's that the rogue class doesn't give you proficiency in longbow. The exception is elf rogue because they have that proficiency as a racial weapon proficiency. If you can use a longbow get one, for the higher range and damage dice, but otherwise light crossbow is your best range weapon.

I'm playing a wood elf, yeah, I think that's why I decided to start with a longbow even though I didn't really give it much thought at the time until I looked at ranges and realized I'd never be able to use it in most of our encounters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also try starting a fight from 600 ft away outdoors, not much most monsters can do.

I've definitely never played in a D&D or Pathfinder campaign where we engaged that far out but it could be fun so maybe I'll keep carrying the longbow just so I can try it at some point. assuming a movement speed of 30 I should be able to get a decent number of arrows in them before they reach us :grimace:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MMD3 posted:

I'm playing a wood elf, yeah, I think that's why I decided to start with a longbow even though I didn't really give it much thought at the time until I looked at ranges and realized I'd never be able to use it in most of our encounters.

You know those aren't minimum ranges right?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Toshimo posted:

You know those aren't minimum ranges right?

no? I assumed when it said 150ft/600ft that was the range and anything closer was at disadvantage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MMD3 posted:

no? I assumed when it said 150ft/600ft that was the range and anything closer was at disadvantage.

No. That's normal and long range. 150/600 means "Anything <= 150 is normal, anything >150 but <=600 is disadvantage and anything >600 is impossible.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

MMD3 posted:

Nope, that would make the longbow pretty useless. The first number is the maximum range at which you can shoot without disadvantage, the second number is the absolute maximum range where you can target something

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Nope, that would make the longbow pretty useless. The first number is the maximum range at which you can shoot without disadvantage, the second number is the absolute maximum range where you can target something

ahhh, this makes more sense... so what's minimum range?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

MMD3 posted:

You can make shots all the way down to melee range (5 feet), but once you're at or within 5 feet you make the shot at disadvantage. IIRC only the Crossbow Expert feat nullifies this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MMD3 posted:

There isn't one. You just take disadvantage if you are in melee range of an enemy.

R a n g e : You can make ranged attacks only against targets within a specified range. If a ranged attack, such as one made with a spell, has a single range, you can’t attack a target beyond this range. Som e ranged attacks, such as those made with a longbow or a shortbow, have two ranges. The smaller number is the normal range, and the larger number is the long range. Your attack roll has disadvantage when your target is beyond normal range, and you can’t attack a target beyond the long range.
R a n g e d A t t a c k s i n C l o s e C o m b a t : Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe is next to you. W hen you make a ranged attack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn’t incapacitated

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
awesome, thanks for the clarification... in that case there's not really much of a downside to using a longbow besides weight then is there? it's a larger hit die than a short bow right?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

MMD3 posted:

awesome, thanks for the clarification... in that case there's not really much of a downside to using a longbow besides weight then is there? it's a larger hit die than a short bow right?

Proficiency. Some classes don't get proficiency with longbows but do with shortbows. If you plan on using a bow, long is better yes, assuming you're proficient.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Conspiratiorist posted:

Crossbow Expert lets you ignore the Loading property, but needing a free hand to reload is part of the Ammunition rule.

Dual-wielding Hand Crossbows just doesn't work, period.

Clearing you have never seen a dual hand crossbow arcane trickster with war caster using mage hand to reload as a bonus action.

(Of course you cant offhand then...)

CubeTheory fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 25, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
My Arcane Trickster hit level 5 and found boots of speed.

With my familiar using Help to give advantage to every Booming Blade, I am doing.... quite a lot of damage. I want to get Dex to 20 at lvl 8 which means I probably can't get War Caster till 12--if the campaign goes that far--but if I do, then it'll be War Caster, plus Haste and that's going to be stupid as all hell.

How do people even play this game without familiars and Mage Hand? I don't get it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Willie Tomg posted:

My Arcane Trickster hit level 5 and found boots of speed.

With my familiar using Help to give advantage to every Booming Blade, I am doing.... quite a lot of damage. I want to get Dex to 20 at lvl 8 which means I probably can't get War Caster till 12--if the campaign goes that far--but if I do, then it'll be War Caster, plus Haste and that's going to be stupid as all hell.

How do people even play this game without familiars and Mage Hand? I don't get it.

Just gonna point out that:

- Boots of Speed don't give you Haste in 5e.
- While Haste+Ready lets you sneak attack twice per round, only one of those will ever get Booming Blade.

But yeah, Familiar advantage plus BB plus Mage Hand plus other spells makes Arcane Tricksters the best Rogues by a mile.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

But yeah, Familiar advantage plus BB plus Mage Hand plus other spells makes Arcane Tricksters the best Rogues by a mile.
Just being able to cast Shield boost your survivability greatly. And later you get Mirror Image too.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Whipped up a temporary replacement character for my Saturday game since my monk has been orcnapped.

Level 7 Fire Genasi Eldritch Knight, was allowed to take the the racial feat from the DMsGuild supplement to Xanathar's as my free feat. Starting off with 18/8/16/18/10/8 and essentially a Flame Tongue Greatsword.

The sheer amount of utility he's going to have is kind of silly, and getting a decent ranged cantrip from being a Fire Genasi is really nice. On top of At-Will Free Detect Magic and 120ft Darkvision from the feat, bundled nicely with the +1 INT.

Shield is kind of a big given, but looking into it made me realize how useful Absorb Elements really is for a magical front-liner.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
FYI D&D beyond is having a cyber Monday sale right now and it stacks with “SAMISOURHERO” coupon code.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Are there any legal (non-:filez:) sources for PDF copies of stuff like Ravnica? I wanna read it but I hate owning physical books these days and I don't know if any of the digital versions for like Roll20 or whatever contain just, the drat book in a readable form.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Roll20 does not - the text should be all there but it does not read the same way at all, it's hard to browse IMO. It's more like a wiki, which does have its perks as well. I haven't bought that particular book on there, only the bestiaries, so I don't know how well things like miscellaneous rules that don't fall into a clear heading like "monster" or "spell" integrate.

I don't think there's anything unethical about buying books on roll20 and then pirating the PDFs but if you want letter-of-the-law I think you're out of luck. The 5etools roll20 plugin breaks frequently but actually integrates even better than their for-purchase stuff and also supports several third party sources.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 26, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glagha posted:

Are there any legal (non-:filez:) sources for PDF copies of stuff like Ravnica? I wanna read it but I hate owning physical books these days and I don't know if any of the digital versions for like Roll20 or whatever contain just, the drat book in a readable form.

D&D Beyond which as just mentioned is having a sale code posted above is in my opinion the best option.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/38

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

Just gonna point out that:

- Boots of Speed don't give you Haste in 5e.
- While Haste+Ready lets you sneak attack twice per round, only one of those will ever get Booming Blade.

You are, ofc, correct I'm just mostly stoked because my character is a Lightfoot Halfling so with 50 feet of movement through whatever, whenever, along with cunning action is like cheating at tabletop games. I'm just having fond thoughts of proccing that 7d6 sneak multiple times a turn at level 14 (if we get that far) while also moving at a significant fraction of Mach. Not a bad trade for losing 5 feet of movement early on. :D

I can't believe I was thinking of Thief.... what would even be the point?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

D&D Beyond which as just mentioned is having a sale code posted above is in my opinion the best option.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/38

There is also a very handy app for reading/browsing D&D beyond sourcebooks on iOS (I assume android as well).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So beyond actually gives you a PDF or some similar format? I've never used it before so I don't know how that content is provided.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Glagha posted:

So beyond actually gives you a PDF or some similar format? I've never used it before so I don't know how that content is provided.

no

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Glagha posted:

Yes. It gives you a digital book you can read via the app or the website. It also includes a nifty character builder with the content from whatever digital books you’ve purchased from them. You can download the books to your phone but I believe it requires an internet connection to access them.

nelson fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 27, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glagha posted:

Similar format.

nelson posted:

Sort of. It gives you a digital book you can read via the app or the website. It also includes a nifty character builder with the content from whatever digital books you’ve purchased from them. You can download the books to your phone but I believe it requires an internet connection to access them.

If you download the books to your phone from beyond you don't need a connection. But the website requires one.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
It's a good option, and I feel the layout is almost better than how the actual books are setup thanks to being able to search for things plus bookmark pages on the App. On top of that they've started integrating the lists feature for stuff from the Compendium for Spells/Items/Monsters etc.

Between the Cyber Monday sale and the 25% off from SAMISOURHERO it'll be really cheap, to boot.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I had a really fun gently caress around session of D&D tonight, and I want to share. It looks like this thread is mostly game mechanics and advice, but in the spirit of :justpost:ing, I'll whack this out while it's fresh in my mind with the promise that I'm not going to turn this into an ongoing diary about MY CAMPAIGN.

Background: homebrew world that hasn't seen magic for thousands of years, but it's starting to trickle back, and the players are on the leading edge of being able to use it, just a little. Sometime early in the campaign, the players started peppering 70s/80s prog and cheese rock references into their play just for the sheer dumb hell of it. There used to be a bard character in the party, but that player was bad about quarterbacking and was lovely in game and out of game to another player, so we uninvited him from the campaign. After the player was gone, the way I wrote him out was to have the bard perform at the characters' home tavern, a place known for music. The bard had just been given the ability to sing with more than one voice from a wild tribe with that ability, and because the party helped that tribe out, they had given him a magic drum.

The player had been a bit of a minmaxing poo poo, so he was all charisma this and performance that, so I fudged a roll and said it was the show of his life. I played this for the players at the big moment: https://youtu.be/y1BkkQXn7FU?t=23 , saying the bard was doing all of the notes vocally. The first time "THUNDERSTRUCK" rolled around, the bard hit his magic drum and accidentally cast Thunderwave in a crowded bar. Windows blow out, temporary and permanent hearing loss happen throughout the hall, and a couple named NPCs in the front row blew saving throws and took enough damage to be killed on the spot. The bard is arrested for murder and dragged off, never to be seen again. The proprietor of the bar was furious and told the party he never wanted to see them again.

Other adventures ensue for the party.

Tonight: the party finally returns to this city and try to patch things up with the proprietor of their former home bar. They go in to find the place dead as hell for a thirsty Thursday sort of night. The party gives a heartfelt "what do we have to do to fix things between us?" Proprietor said that all he ever wanted to do was to make a home for music and for people to get pleasantly rowdy, and the party took it away from him. If they want to make it right, they have to find him bands and find him customers.

A couple players yell "SIDE QUEST!" at the table, and they immediately start plotting how they're going to make it happen. They head for a university district, looking for undergrad style music bars. They hear one that's full, and they investigate. They talk/sneak their way backstage to chat up whoever's on next. Winging it, I said there was a four piece band warming up. In the process of introducing themselves, they ask one of the band members his name. I say "Gene". Which immediately led to the others being Ace, Paul, and Peter, because duh. The party grossly overpays this college band to play their home bar in a week, and then they stick around to hear them play. I find this on my phone and let it ride for a little bit, asking for a bit of imagination from them for more period appropriate instruments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKAyMS1uwUk

One of the players asks "Do they sound this good?" I say "Well, they think they do. They'll probably sound that good someday. Actually..." and then play https://youtu.be/RCQKw-9JJCY?t=4

Just good stupid improvised fun that was dead on for the tone of the campaign.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That kind of stuff is always fun to see in the thread. (And in most rpg discussion.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 27, 2018

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
So had to hastily throw together a last minute DnD game as one of our Strahd players is sick and I got asked to DM a one shot so I thought "gently caress it, ive wanted to run Tomb of Annihilation for for ages" so just bought it on roll20. Has anyone else found it to be really tough to get going or is it just the roll20 version seems to just dump you in a city with so much to do that you have no idea what to do? The lack of prep work didnt help but it was a massive struggle to guide the players into what they're actually meant to doing.

Considering the first side quest is a challenge 5 fight out of nowhere vs a bunch of lvl1s that i had to massively fudge to not just TPK in what was almost still session 0 it just seems to be a bit bereft of solid information.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
On the topic of ability scores, is it fair to say that basically everyone wants like a 14 CON, and like 14* DEX?

I posted a couple pages back about rolling stats, and I think really what it all comes down to is you kinda want to be able to guarantee a +3 in your main stat, in addition to the above. With array/point-buy, this always means aligning one of your racial bonuses to your main stat; if you were to in some way safeguard these mods before applying racial mods, it'd allow for a wider amount of viability w/r/t races+class combos.

*unless you're a monk or a rogue, in which case you max it, or if you're using heavy armor, in which case you dump it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

P.d0t posted:

On the topic of ability scores, is it fair to say that basically everyone wants like a 14 CON, and like 14* DEX?

I posted a couple pages back about rolling stats, and I think really what it all comes down to is you kinda want to be able to guarantee a +3 in your main stat, in addition to the above. With array/point-buy, this always means aligning one of your racial bonuses to your main stat; if you were to in some way safeguard these mods before applying racial mods, it'd allow for a wider amount of viability w/r/t races+class combos.

*unless you're a monk or a rogue, in which case you max it, or if you're using heavy armor, in which case you dump it.

Here's how the stats sort-of shake out in my experience:
  1. Always max out your mainstat.
  2. If your attack stat isn't your mainstat, max that next.
  3. Have enough STR to wear your armor.
  4. Dump Int if you aren't a wizard. Have a wizard for investigation checks. If you don't have a wizard, have someone with expertise and someone with guidance. If you don't have any of those, figure out how to get a Headband of Intellect. Investigation checks are the second most frequent check, so you need someone to be this guy. Unfortunately, Int is worthless otherwise.
  5. Wis/Con/Dex are super good for saves and are also the Perception/HP/Initiative stats. You can't have them all, but you don't really want to dump any of them.
  6. Cry if you are a class with 2+ mainstats.
  7. Cha is basically a dump stat for non-Cha classes, but because Deception/Persuasion/Intimidation are Cha skills, your spindly sorcerer is vastly better at intimidating people than your :black101: orc barbarian, so... v0v (your DM should let you do Intimidation(STR) if they are chill dudes though).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I would say yes. Although you can get by with 12 for both as long as neither are your main attribute and you’re not a tank.

Somewhat related, 4d6 drop lowest gives a good chance of a 16+ in your main stat before racial modifiers. In point buy or standard array 15 is the highest.

e: d6 not d3 derp

nelson fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 27, 2018

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
14 con is a definite yes for nearly any build. To get away with less you need to both be at range and not care about concentration saves. That is stuff like archer fighters and crossbow rogues. The fighter gets away with it easier with con saves, higher hp, and not being likely to be on trap duty and eat a poison save.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
4d3 drop lowest isn't going to get you very far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Azhais posted:

4d3 drop lowest isn't going to get you very far