Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Which you could include upgrading the trio's adventuring gear in, although Rimiru is pretty generous in the first place.

The gifts were a very smart move. First of all the adventurers are going to be the first ones bringing information about the village to their kingdom, so you want their impression to be as positive as possible. But no matter how glowing the report, some people are going to read between the lines and see "goblin outpost rapidly growing in numbers and power" and decide to do something now. If the adventurers are wearing the fine craftsmanship at the time otoh the conversation rapidly swings from "dirty uncivilised savages" to "valuable trading partners".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Lone Badger posted:

The gifts were a very smart move. First of all the adventurers are going to be the first ones bringing information about the village to their kingdom, so you want their impression to be as positive as possible. But no matter how glowing the report, some people are going to read between the lines and see "goblin outpost rapidly growing in numbers and power" and decide to do something now. If the adventurers are wearing the fine craftsmanship at the time otoh the conversation rapidly swings from "dirty uncivilised savages" to "valuable trading partners".

It also speaks of a multi-racial town with dwarves, instead of just goblins riding worgs. So yeah, it will probably make a much better impression, especially since the "and their legendary dwarven smith made them great gear!" is probably going to be the part that spreads the fastest.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And even if people still want to fight, they can see what Rimuru and Co. Can make, plus a hundred or so hobgoblin and a slime that eats fire gods.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Eat the animu.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/SlimeAnime/status/1066325881512124416

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?

No slime form?

0/10

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Slime form would be a bonus item, and they usually don't include those with prototypes.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
also since that’s unpainted they might not have accessories completed and that’s where they’d put slime rimuru if it’s not a separate thing

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How squishy can they make the slime form

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Depends on how squishy they want to make it. The only real determiners are material availability and cost.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I mean, TBH if slime form isn't just taking the top half of the head off that nendo and sticking it in another nendo's lap then it's an inferior slime form.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Someone get me a gif of Gobta getting kicked stat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

every time I see ranga I'm reminded that he's a really good boy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This show really feels like there's no stakes. As much as Mr. Slime seems like a good boy, he's never challenged by anything at all and can basically do and defeat anyone and anything that comes in his way without breaking a sweat.

It's getting pretty dull TBH.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Don't treat it like an action show, treat it like a slice of life and you'll have a much better time IMO.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't taking off the mask and turning back into a slime had helped the diplo check to avoid fighting in the first place?

Nitrousoxide posted:

This show really feels like there's no stakes. As much as Mr. Slime seems like a good boy, he's never challenged by anything at all and can basically do and defeat anyone and anything that comes in his way without breaking a sweat.

It's getting pretty dull TBH.
Well he doesn't have a massive guild of equally overpowered npc's along with him at least. Did slime-san also gain a maxed out charisma stat?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ogre princess is just as cute as I hoped she would be. I'm a real sucker for priestesses, princesses, and that thing where anime girls have extra long sleeves that cover their hands, so she checks a lot of boxes for me.

Don't expect insane challenges much from this show, but it is a nice one to kick back and relax with, for me anyway.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah don’t go in expecting big struggles for slime dad, though there’s stuff in future arcs where he has to do a bit more, though even then. Like there’s a big reason why later arcs that do involve conflict, a lot of stuff gets delegated to the other characters anyways since there’s few things that can actually take on slime dad. It’s fun to see antagonists realize how ridiculous he is though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Spiritus Nox posted:

Don't treat it like an action show, treat it like a slice of life and you'll have a much better time IMO.

I don't even need it to be an action show. And Slime-san seems to want to work things out diplomatically anyway, but I'd like him to have to struggle to work out the conflicts the various parties have with one and other, to have to balance age-old hatreds of groups that now have to live and work together. I'd be fine with him being a creature that can totally outclass everyone in a fight if he'd still struggle to get competing personalities to work together.

For instance, we could have had there be some conflict between the various goblin leaders on who gets to be overall leader that he has to mediate, or goblins that resent having to live with wolves that had killed their family members just days before. Things that his incredible fighting powers don't let him solve.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Without giving much away, there's more of that conflict between groups in the future, though it's debatable how much struggle is involved. And Rimuru definitely runs in to (pretty mild, but I tagged it anyway, nothing explicit)the occasional entity that could 100% kill him and probably all of his allies working together if it wanted to, so it's not like he's presented as a 100% unbeatable force.

We're on the cusp of a pretty major arc that I think will have the tone you're looking for to some degree Nitrous, so my advice is to stick it out for that at least. With that said, ultimately it's more about fun times and gags than serious conflict or Rimuru getting served, so that level of struggle is going to be pretty rare.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Im glad they included the scene of Rimuru messing around with his new human form and discovering he's been turning into ken doll vetsions of all the monsters he's been mimicking so far. But Im also glad they pushed it back an episode to give it thematic distance from Shizu's death. In the manga the adventures hadn't even had a chance to leave yet.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Yay, we finally get to the ogres, and they're just as awesome as I imagined. My only complaint is why Rimuru didn't switch to his slime form from the outset. The only reason the ogres attacked him and his goblins was because he was a humanoid with a mask like the guy who attacked their village, so all he would need to do is pop into slime form and boom, conflict resolved. Was there some reason he didn't do this to begin with that I just missed?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alfredo Jones posted:

Yay, we finally get to the ogres, and they're just as awesome as I imagined. My only complaint is why Rimuru didn't switch to his slime form from the outset. The only reason the ogres attacked him and his goblins was because he was a humanoid with a mask like the guy who attacked their village, so all he would need to do is pop into slime form and boom, conflict resolved. Was there some reason he didn't do this to begin with that I just missed?

"A slime! So you majin can shapeshift as well! Have at you!!!"

I doubt it would have stopped them. He specifically had to exhibit massive amounts of power and buy enough time to give them a chance to think it through.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Alfredo Jones posted:

I don't think it'd prove anything since he'd still be a humanoid in a mask, just one with transformation powers.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I thought the show was going slow but part of that was wanting more of the fun looking characters from the op and ed to appear, now a whole bunch of them have things are looking up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't even need it to be an action show. And Slime-san seems to want to work things out diplomatically anyway, but I'd like him to have to struggle to work out the conflicts the various parties have with one and other, to have to balance age-old hatreds of groups that now have to live and work together. I'd be fine with him being a creature that can totally outclass everyone in a fight if he'd still struggle to get competing personalities to work together.

For instance, we could have had there be some conflict between the various goblin leaders on who gets to be overall leader that he has to mediate, or goblins that resent having to live with wolves that had killed their family members just days before. Things that his incredible fighting powers don't let him solve.

I more or less agree, although I still enjoy the show. Basically it feels like, uh, other characters aren't really people with their own agency. They're more like NPCs in Rimuru's life. If other Isekais are like the main character being the best player in an MMO-like world, this one's almost like he's just playing a single player City-Building type game and most other people aren't really people at all, just props to assign tasks to and keep fed.

Like he did one quest to win over the legendary Dwarven blacksmith and now the town has a Dwarven blacksmith he can use however he wants, the end.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah some conflicts get resolved a little too neatly, but I don't really mind. The show being so... good natured about everything is one of its strong points, and is one of the big reasons it's a lot better than most isekai stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The real crime of this arc is that the ogres all look way cooler before they evolve.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like that the fight ends with our conquering hero dusting himself off, going "hey, no harm no foul", and inviting the vanquished to a feast back in his town.

This show isn't deep, but it's positive and charismatic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

This show isn't deep, but it's positive and charismatic.

Yeah, if you're looking for high stakes or deep interfactional conflict, this isn't really that story. I mean, you do get that way later on, but with how far this show plans to go we're probably only going to see one example and even that is resolved in a pretty tidy manner.

That said, it helps to keep in mind that most of the people Rimuru's incorporated so far are considered subhuman monsters by the majority of the world. It goes some way to explaining why everything is so copacetic at this stage when you remember that, from their perspective, a benevolent deity showed up on their doorstep, told them they're deserving of basic dignity, and then helped them build a thriving community. Plenty of people in our world would jump at that deal.

Yes, it's all idyllic bordering on naive, but in 2018 I could really do with a story where almost everyone gets along and everything mostly works out for the best.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Part of the fun of this show is taking an overpowered iseka protagonist and having them play a City Builder/God Game in their new world instead of the standard JRPG/Dating Sim most stories in the gendra turn into.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vorpal Cat posted:

Part of the fun of this show is taking an overpowered iseka protagonist and having them play a City Builder/God Game in their new world instead of the standard JRPG/Dating Sim most stories in the gendra turn into.

its basically isekai Actraiser

Ibblebibble posted:

Someone get me a gif of Gobta getting kicked stat.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 27, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That kick was the most well-animated thing in the whole episode.

Also, I have no idea if this was the author's intent, but making Rimuru's human form completely androgynous is a very concise way to head off all the creepy speculation that tends to arise with non-binary characters.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

That kick was the most well-animated thing in the whole episode.

Also, I have no idea if this was the author's intent, but making Rimuru's human form completely androgynous is a very concise way to head off all the creepy speculation that tends to arise with non-binary characters.

Given that Rimuru still seems to think of himself as a male, I don't get the impression that the author was going for a serious portrayal of a non-binary experience - though any NB folks reading this are certainly welcome to correct me. But it is nice how after the initial shock of 'oh I don't have junk anymore' Rimuru just kind of goes like "ah well, guess I didn't really need that" instead of getting weird and "CAN'T BE A MAN WITHOUT MY NUTS" about it.

I also like that he's weirded out by getting too close to Shizue's form more because he doesn't want to outright steal her face than because he doesn't want to appear feminine. The show's taking a very easy-going and earnest approach to the whole angle that I hope it keeps up.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I don't think the author was going for an explicitly non-binary portrayal. I meant more the unsavory obsession some folks have with what's in a cartoon character's pants and nipping that crap in bud with "Ken doll, now shut up about it." Rimuru definitely still self-identifies as male, though he is refreshingly non-hostile toward feminine expression.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 27, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Skippy McPants posted:

See above gif for what Rimiru thinks of said speculation.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So apparently our favorite civilisation building slime was featured on the cover of a civil engineering magazine along with an interview with the LN author.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sindai posted:

The real crime of this arc is that the ogres all look way cooler before they evolve.

extreme agree, especially strong ogre lady

Vorpal Cat posted:

So apparently our favorite civilisation building slime was featured on the cover of a civil engineering magazine along with an interview with the LN author.

incredible

i imagine we'll never see a translation of that, on account of being a civil engineering magazine

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's Star Trek TNG in a fantasy setting. Mostly discovery and highly optimistic conflict resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“I can’t take a female form, it reminds me too much of a friend who passed” is a hell of a lot better than “I can’t take a female form cuz that’s gay” or “I’m gonna take a female form cause I wanna creepo beepo about it”.

Vorpal Cat posted:

I’m gonna guess it’s due to the village building subplot, maybe?

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's Star Trek TNG in a fantasy setting. Mostly discovery and highly optimistic conflict resolution.

I’m really glad to have a show like this, actually.