Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That has three engines, not “an” engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Lazlo Nibble posted:

You can’t just fire up an electric burner for a few seconds and warm a tortilla on it.

Checkmate.

If you put a metal "plate" of sorts on top of a gas stove, you actually can. You can also use it to toast bread:

http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/media/campmaster_diffuser_toaster.jpg

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't really know a lot of people who store their eggs outside the original carton.

My mom does this, for some loving reason. She takes the eggs out of the carton and puts them in a little plastic bin in the fridge, where they roll around and jostle every time someone opens the fridge door. Outdated technology: Egg Bin

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

A couple of years ago there was a company I think that was trying to promote tech to label eggs with expiration dates, bar codes, etc printed on each egg. I don't know what the end game would be with that as I don't really know a lot of people who store their eggs outside the original carton.

Our fridge has a special tray in the door for eggs. It only has room for 10 eggs :argh: And it's a pain to transfer the eggs into it too, where do you put the open carton of eggs to get them out to put them in the door? This is often a two-person job :v:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

Our fridge has a special tray in the door for eggs. It only has room for 10 eggs :argh: And it's a pain to transfer the eggs into it too, where do you put the open carton of eggs to get them out to put them in the door? This is often a two-person job :v:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that that's where you put your cooked eggs. At least that's how I use mine.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The egg bin here always ends up as the sauce packet graveyard.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Ruflux posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that that's where you put your cooked eggs. At least that's how I use mine.

:aaaaa:

That makes so much sense! You changed my life a little bit today

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

I can believe this, because actually having a clean house like on those Tv sitcoms is impossible (no one actually uses the homes in Modern Family for living, apparently).

Though, i suppose you're dealing less with dust and insects now than before, you're still cleaning all your food prep poo poo, making sure your bathrooms aren't a loving streaky mess, and sweeping up all your gross dead skin.

Dusting. gently caress dusting.

We probably have more pets shedding in the house than they did in 1900 when your animal companions had jobs to do killing mice in the barn and weren’t allowed on the furniture.

My dog’s hair is a not insignificant percentage of household cleaning.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dusting is the biggest con in human history.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Vic posted:

:aaaaa:

That makes so much sense! You changed my life a little bit today

Yeah, it wasn't until I lived with someone that eats eggs every day that I saw the fridge trays being useful. They hard boil 4-6 and then put them in the fridge to eat later in salads or in sandwiches.
Before I knew that I was thinking eggs come in a carton and we don't need your crappy egg tray Mr samsung and Mr LG

E: then again I guess it would be handy for people with their own chooks so they aren't buying eggs in cartons?

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Nov 27, 2018

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Do I get to be the rear end in a top hat that imparts the knowledge that no one wants? I do? Yay!

How would you like to be born and then immediately have your fate be the macerator? Millions of baby chicks are ground up alive every day around the world. Since male chicks will not grow to lay eggs, the egg industry kills them all on their first day of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNriWcc9CA

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
So the obsolete technology is the male chicken?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

EvilGenius posted:

Apparently.

gently caress.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

hopefully they use the chicken viscera for something, animal feed or whatever

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Blood and bone fertilizer has to come from somewhere. The calcium from the egg shells is an extra bonus.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I still wonder what was going on in the mind of whoever though that up as the best available method.

Factory farming is crazy, yo.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno if this is the right thread but I watched Bad Santa last night and ya crazy how the early 00s look like the mid 90s now. Maybe it was the movies fault but there was haircuts , styles and technology that screamed 90s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

EvilGenius posted:

Fixed it for you.

It’s not just factory farming. Even the pretty Vermont organic dairy farm my FiL worked on had a dark dank underbelly. Calves are separated from their moms almost immediately and all but a couple of bulls get sold off for veal. The cows have a pretty decent 4 or 5 years, but as soon as their milk production wanes you learn why no one names farm animals.

A quick trip through some spinning saw blades might be gruesome, but at least it’s quick and efficient.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Another horrifying bit of farming technology is the goddamn bolt gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The chicken grinder is loving monstrous, but the captive bolt gun is safe and humane. Unless you're uncomfortable with the fact that the meat in your freezer used to be a living animal.

I mean, they used to beat cattle in the head with a sledgehammer before the captive bolt gun. You have to kill them somehow if you expect to get a steak at the other end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vanagoon posted:

Another horrifying bit of farming technology is the goddamn bolt gun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol

The British used a non-captive pistol for euthanizing wounded draft animals, especially in the military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zi4FXCSgDw

The curved plate is so the muzzle blast from the gun disperses instead of the extra energy being transferred to the horse's skull, which would be messy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rndmnmbr posted:

The chicken grinder is loving monstrous

I had to read up on this, and apparently this method is not used here in Denmark, at least when it comes to organic egg production, which is the only type of eggs I buy.

Instead they're gassed (with nitrogen, I think) before being sold directly as reptile feed or processed into feed for other carnivorous animals.

Perfect? No, but a lot less grisly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Empress Brosephine posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread but I watched Bad Santa last night and ya crazy how the early 00s look like the mid 90s now. Maybe it was the movies fault but there was haircuts , styles and technology that screamed 90s.
It's been mentioned before but the decades tend to lag/blur in terms of looks and fashion, since things don't instantly change once the next decade gets going.

The 90s thread notes that we were still shaking off the 80s trends and musical trappings until Grunge officially ushered in the 90s.

2003 is a little late, but I imagine 9-11 stunted any kind of natural transition.

The last few years of the 90s, probably like 98-99, through maybe 2002, have that weird bubble of Millennialism that serves as a good transitional form to study.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

The chicken grinder is loving monstrous, but the captive bolt gun is safe and humane. Unless you're uncomfortable with the fact that the meat in your freezer used to be a living animal.

I mean, they used to beat cattle in the head with a sledgehammer before the captive bolt gun. You have to kill them somehow if you expect to get a steak at the other end.

I'm vaguely uncomfortable with it but I love meat, so eh.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Platystemon posted:

That has three engines, not “an” engine.

Who said cars couldn't have multiple engines?

:colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FilthyImp posted:

It's been mentioned before but the decades tend to lag/blur in terms of looks and fashion, since things don't instantly change once the next decade gets going.

The 90s thread notes that we were still shaking off the 80s trends and musical trappings until Grunge officially ushered in the 90s.

2003 is a little late, but I imagine 9-11 stunted any kind of natural transition.

The last few years of the 90s, probably like 98-99, through maybe 2002, have that weird bubble of Millennialism that serves as a good transitional form to study.

I was watching an episode of Top Gear and it wasn't until the host brought out a cellphone that I realized it was from 2003.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geoj posted:

Who said cars couldn't have multiple engines?

:colbert:

My car has many engines.

There is one in each door to raise and lower the windows.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

The British used a non-captive pistol for euthanizing wounded draft animals, especially in the military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zi4FXCSgDw

The curved plate is so the muzzle blast from the gun disperses instead of the extra energy being transferred to the horse's skull, which would be messy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7tP9s4mm5I

There’s this thing where they took an assassin’s silent pistol and marketed it as a veterinary tool.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

T-man posted:

Konstantin posted:

The computers in commercial aircraft haven't changed much in the last few decades. In order to program any computer used in the vital controls of a commercial aircraft, you have to use specific techniques that are horribly inefficient and that bear little relation to modern programming standards. There are only a few dozen people that have experience doing it, and it takes at least ten times longer than programming a modern device to do the same thing. You have to mathematically prove that the program will not crash on any possible input. There are a lot of interesting things being done with experimental aircraft that will never see commercial application because of this.

how the gently caress do you prove that something won't ever happen in philosophy we're not even sure that something has ever happened yet.

It's called "formal methods". You can do things like say that the set of all possible values of a particular variable is S, and then prove that the initial value of the variable will be in S, and then prove that for every possible input, the resulting value of the variable will still be in the set S. Then you can do similar things for other variables, and also prove that they take on the expected values. If you can prove that the software's state is always one of the expected states you know it won't crash. At least it's something like that. I only learned a tiny bit about this, and I seem to remember lecturers acting like "formal methods" was a dirty word, I guess because it's so expensive to do this. When nobody's life depends on the software not crashing, everyone would rather just rush it out the door and let the users find the bugs :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Theoretically this should also be much easier with functional programming languages like Scala, F# or K since they're supposed to be built up from easily verifiable functions but I don't think these are taking off in aerospace, so to say.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

I had to read up on this, and apparently this method is not used here in Denmark, at least when it comes to organic egg production, which is the only type of eggs I buy.

Instead they're gassed (with nitrogen, I think) before being sold directly as reptile feed or processed into feed for other carnivorous animals.

Perfect? No, but a lot less grisly.

I remember when Jamie Oliver had a show and let everyone in the studio look at the cute baby chicks before killing them by gassing or electrocution because this is just what chicken farms do over there.
The grinder must be some hosed up american thing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

rndmnmbr posted:

And funnily enough in the west halal is the killing method that's considered inhumane

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fo3 posted:

I remember when Jamie Oliver had a show and let everyone in the studio look at the cute baby chicks before killing them by gassing or electrocution because this is just what chicken farms do over there.
The grinder must be some hosed up american thing.

You inspired me to do some research:

https://www.hsa.org.uk/downloads/technical-notes/TN14-gas-killing-of-chicks-in-hatcheries.pdf

Gassed with argon as it doesn't distress them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That sounds like an absolute nightmare, too. When my husband, who's a total Facebook whore, forgets to silence his phone notifications before coming to bed, I loving hate being woken up at 2am just because someone said "lol" to a funny pic he posted.
On Android you can schedule Do Not Disturb mode which prevents any sounds or vibration except from explicitly whitelisted contacts. I have mine scheduled from midnight to 7am on weekdays and slightly longer on weekends.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

T-man posted:

how the gently caress do you prove that something won't ever happen in philosophy we're not even sure that something has ever happened yet.

You can't prove that an arbitrary program won't crash on arbitrary input, but you can prove that a specific program won't crash on a specific set of inputs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

EvilGenius posted:

We need sinsemilla chickens.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

My car has many engines.

No, that's weird. Your car has many motors.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Imagined posted:

I don't know, but I have read that the amount of time Americans spend on household cooking, cleaning and chores has not changed since 1900. Women spend slightly less time on it and men slightly more than they did then, but the overall hours spent combined has not changed.

Source: https://www.nber.org/digest/oct08/w13985.html

The time hasn't, but productivity certainly has. Unless you think that stuff like hauling rugs outside and beating them with a stick, cooking over a wood-fired stove and washing clothes on a scrubbing board are easier or more efficient than the modern alternatives.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Platystemon posted:

My car has many engines.

I too have multiple tiny combustion engines to raise and lower my windows. They can be hard to start in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

T-man posted:

Here is a very good article explaining what it takes to write and test software that absolutely has to work.