Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Gynovore posted:

So I guess that the bit about the Outsiders means that, when the gods wipe and remake "the world", they're actually talking about just the Prime Material Plane, not the multiverse?

They'd have to remake the various afterlives too, otherwise you'd have Eugene hanging out with cyberpunk furries from the previous incarnation.

Or maybe the physical afterlife planes stick around, but all the mortal souls inhabiting them are reincarnated back into the new world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

They'd have to remake the various afterlives too, otherwise you'd have Eugene hanging out with cyberpunk furries from the previous incarnation.

Or maybe the physical afterlife planes stick around, but all the mortal souls inhabiting them are reincarnated back into the new world?

They absorbs the souls of the previous world into the fabric of their plan/being when they remake the world; they need the power. Thor said that like three comics or something ago.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gynovore posted:

So I guess that the bit about the Outsiders means that, when the gods wipe and remake "the world", they're actually talking about just the Prime Material Plane, not the multiverse?

No they keep the outer planes but wipe the outsiders' memory explicitly

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/1067179550017232896

Presumably that's why the updates have been slow lately.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aren't all the souls moving towards some kind of absorption into the divine anyways? They said that they wait around for a while before building the next universe, maybe that's long enough for the souls to run their course in the eternity of afterlife.

Or maybe all the old souls are hanging around in their own private secreted-off corner of the infinite expanse of the afterlife.

I doubt that there was an elemental plane of ranch dressing in the less goofy incarnations of the universe.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aren't all the souls moving towards some kind of absorption into the divine anyways? They said that they wait around for a while before building the next universe, maybe that's long enough for the souls to run their course in the eternity of afterlife.

Or maybe all the old souls are hanging around in their own private secreted-off corner of the infinite expanse of the afterlife.

I doubt that there was an elemental plane of ranch dressing in the less goofy incarnations of the universe.

Inner plane, made of pure "stuff" instead of outer plane, made of pure thought

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
huh, so Durkon's mom is alive.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aren't all the souls moving towards some kind of absorption into the divine anyways?

Yeah, that's a pretty core thing in Planescape. Petitioner souls eventually tired of their afterlife and merge into the substance of the plane/deity.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's presumably what happens at the top of Mt. Celestia, where Roy's Archon isn't allowed. Roy's grandpa was already a couple levels up, so it's pretty easy to imagine no petitioners from separate worlds meeting each other if it takes more than a couple generations to go from a destroyed world to getting the next one online.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's presumably what happens at the top of Mt. Celestia, where Roy's Archon isn't allowed. Roy's grandpa was already a couple levels up, so it's pretty easy to imagine no petitioners from separate worlds meeting each other if it takes more than a couple generations to go from a destroyed world to getting the next one online.

Part of the process of waiting for the Snarl to "calm down" might be waiting for all the souls in the afterlife to merge with their planes, as well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Earnestly posted:

I mean old dwarves get to 400, and we never saw her any older than middle aged in flashbacks

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Earnestly posted:

Do we know that for sure? Durkon hasn't had contact, presumably, and he didn't get a chance to go to the actual afterlife like Roy because Thor had things to tell him that he had to be able to remember. He might just be assuming his mother is alive.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Durkon tells Minrah to find his dad in Valhalla and tell him that both his wife and son miss him. And there's zero chance his Mom wouldn't be in Valhalla after dying. Thus she must still be alive.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I doubt any sort of twist along this line is actually coming, but I suppose it's safest to say that Durkon believes his mother is still alive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Earnestly posted:

Durkon tells Minrah to find his dad in Valhalla and tell him that both his wife and son miss him. And there's zero chance his Mom wouldn't be in Valhalla after dying. Thus she must still be alive.

Well he wouldn't know if she was dead or not he hasn't been back in decades

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At this point we don't need more twists and turns honestly

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Earnestly posted:

No, therefore Durkon must think she's still alive. He doesn't necessarily know.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well he wouldn't know if she was dead or not he hasn't been back in decades

It seems very plausible that someone would have contacted Durkon if his mother had died.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mad Jaqk posted:

It seems very plausible that someone would have contacted Durkon if his mother had died.

Cloister. Boomshakalaka

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like this one suffers from 'would've been funnier without the last panel' syndrome.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

I feel like this one suffers from 'would've been funnier without the last panel' syndrome.

you will take my slaadi tadpole traumatic birth jokes from my cold dead fingers.

Also, his mum is totally alive, because that's a crazy amount of good drama to leave on the floor if she's not.

If she's dead it's 'mum dead, durkon sad'. He's pretty stoic so that's basically a close-up of a brown circle with a teardrop on it.

If she's alive she's a mum seeing her boy again! who has a baby! and a crazy vengeful ex-girlfriend!

Plus burlew will be aware of the current views on fridging lady characters (not to mention that durkon has zero need for additional motivation so it would be pointless even in its own terms).

Ofc i could be completely wrong, my predictions around this strip nearly always are, haha

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Cloister. Boomshakalaka

He wasn't covered in the Cloister.

Mad Jaqk posted:

Yeah, Durkon is such a momma's boy. It's more likely that he sends to her at least once a week as opposed to radio silence for the duration of his exile.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dreadmojo posted:

you will take my slaadi tadpole traumatic birth jokes from my cold dead fingers.

Oh I mean the literal last panel, the 'chew' joke should've been the finisher.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Earnestly posted:

He wasn't covered in the Cloister.

Yeah, Durkon is such a momma's boy. It's more likely that he sends to her at least once a week as opposed to radio silence for the duration of his exile.

I just realised the existence of the sending spell breaks the Durkon plot in half, so possibly it's best not to think too hard about it.

MikeJF posted:

Oh I mean the literal last panel, the 'chew' joke should've been the finisher.

ah, I see - yeah, you maybe right (though the nurse joke is ok)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

dreadmojo posted:

Ofc i could be completely wrong, my predictions around this strip nearly always are, haha

She's turned evil after seeing how the church of Thor mistreated her son and is now secretly a worshipper of Hel.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

On his way out the door the priests told Durkon he was forbidden from Sending home. Or it's an already understood by dwarven law thing that banishment includes Sending. He obeyed it, no surprise.

His Mom doesn't seem the type to ask for magical help, so she probably wouldn't have asked a priest to do a Sending for her, but even if she did any priest of Thor or Odin probably had orders to not Send for her.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that just to plug the gap.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cloister. Boomshakalaka

He was never in the Cloister.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remembered the letter that never made it to Durkon and lifted his exile mentioned a family member dying, but then I looked back at it and it was his grandfather; if his mother were dead that presumably would have been mentioned first, so barring a (relatively) recent death, she's still alive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who What Now posted:

He was never in the Cloister.

He was back in the beginning in the dungeon, but certainly the high priest of Odin would've mentioned it.

I can't wait for the family reunion when Durkon meets back up with all his aunts and uncles and mother. None of the others were as entrenched in their communities. I assume, we don't really know what community Elan came from, or really what Roy left behind when he went adventuring. There might be a Greenhilt family home somewhere.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
^ point was, the cloister as described only has that effect on anyone who's in the area at the time it's originally cast. if someone just walks into that area later, they're only affected until they leave.

dreadmojo posted:

If she's alive she's a mum seeing her boy again! who has a baby! and a crazy vengeful ex-girlfriend!

Also: imagine what it was like from her point of view. They tossed Durkon out in the snow without the chance to go home, talk to anyone, prepare in any way--"immediately doesn't mean later today," the high priest said. No one else (besides the brewmaster and, presumably, the guards who physically threw him out) knew he was banished, there was no record at all.

To everyone who knew him, Durkon just vanished one day, with absolutely no explanation.

That's just heartbreaking to even think about.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 28, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
From what we've seen of Durkon's Mom though she probably kicked her way through half of the town until she got some reasonable answers as to where Durkon had gone.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

According this page:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1096.html, The temple of Thor crew know Sigdi by name, which while not dismissing the possibility that she died, does seem to point in favor of her still living.

[Edit: Link now fixed]

LunarCress fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 29, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Comma got caught in the URL and makes it go 404.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Who What Now posted:

You can't look at the many hundreds of distinct creatures and monsters that have clear thought put into them and say Thorsby doesn't know how to draw.

What you don't like is his chosen style. Which is fine. But youre wrong if you think he doesn't have some sort of artistic talent.

There's a difference between putting a lot of thought and effort into your drawing and having any actual skill at the drawing itself.

And his chosen style is that of a 9-year-old who hasn't taken any art classes.

e: D'oh, shoulda refreshed the tab. I'm glad Durkon's getting ressed quickly enough! I didn't think we needed another arc where the gang spends a month carting around a rotting corpsepile of dust.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 29, 2018

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

LunarCress posted:

According this page:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1096.html, The temple of Thor crew know Sigdi by name, which while not dismissing the possibility that she died, does seem to point in favor of her still living.

[Edit: Link now fixed]

She did die honorably though

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What happens if you die honourably, get raised, and then die dishonourably?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Colonel Cool posted:

What happens if you die honourably, get raised, and then die dishonourably?

You go straight to Hel. Do not pass Mount Celestia, do not collect 200 gp.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

This is a really bad post.

That is probably one of the only funny posts in this entire thread, you gotta be honest here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Of course it'd probably be difficult to die dishonorably if he tried at this point, considering no matter what he's going to have died trying to save the world after selflessly putting his own eternal happiness aside.