Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

yo,how do you apply nihilak oxide? should i be thinning it or something? trying to sponge it on leaves it too globby, and i can't seem to stipple it on without it just washing out the brass underneath

I wanted a really subtle look when using it for my Kastelan Robot heads. What I did was Sycorax Bronze followed by Agrax/Nuln washes. Then I applied Nihilakh all over, used a tissue to dab up most of it, waited for it to dry, and then hit the entire head with another thin Agrax.

There are a ton of different ways you can use it, but I like how this turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
drat that looks good. i've been using TAP weapom bronze and it's...a bit too bright? i'll have to try your technique out

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Alternately, here it is thinned 5 : 1 with acrylic medium to use as a wash, on warplock bronze

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Stephenls posted:

And that's the second set of five Intercessors from the Dark Imperium box done. (In the front. Original five in the back.)

These look so awesome.

Transhuman Killing Machine

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
C-C-C-CROSSPOSTTTTTTT

Reynold posted:

Hey there old timey tabletop game friends

I decided Formula D was cool and good and needed some sprucing up so I ordered some cars off of Shapeways and did my best to reproduce some modern F1 paint schemes in these itty bitty fellers for a big game this weekend:

Initially I tried to stick to the proper numbers and helmet colors for the drivers and teams, but that was quickly abandoned. I made Mercedes, Ferrari, Haas, Renault, and McLaren. I was also initially disappointed that the extra fine detail plastic I got was a bit bendy, but it will probably help keep these dudes from being destroyed in a drunken game night fury I guess.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Started working on a Plague Marine and... I think I got a good booger green for him.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

another titan WIP. The head, arms, and shoulder guns are all just tacked on with greenstuff atm. Still quite a bit of work left

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Hixson posted:

another titan WIP. The head, arms, and shoulder guns are all just tacked on with greenstuff atm. Still quite a bit of work left

Amazing. The stone colors are so smooth!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

1998 era combat squad is progressing well. Tidy up and inking next up.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I love that color scheme. Just the right amount of Saturday morning cartoons.

I finally got around to getting a cheap shelving unit to house my plastic and rulebooks.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Excoriator Intercessor
Ready for badges and damage

Lemy Caution
Feb 26, 2011

Lemy Caution posted:

Finally feeling like I've made some progress painting something to an OK standard. I still need to finish as the black and gray is untouched basecoat plus another pass on the hair and face is due.

C&C welcome!

And just to demonstrate my talent here's my 4 year old daughters attempt at "painting" a mini:

And yes it's going to be part of my fireteam when I go to my first tournament next month.
Just X-posting from the infinity thread.

Lemy Caution fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 18, 2018

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
Hey does anyone have any experience with the Army Painter D&D paint sets? They seem to be a decent deal, plenty of paint (46 total pots) between the two sets, brushes and a fighter and owlbear mini between them. I was thinking of gifting them in a secret Santa I'm a part of, as the dude currently uses just craftshop paints and was looking to upgrade.

These two sets specifically.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Official-Paint-Monsters/dp/B07DWL5JZZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542503158&sr=8-3&keywords=D%26D+paints

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter...ds=D%26D+paints

Thoughts? These come in at just under my $100 budget and I can amazon dropship them.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You miss out on the two minis, but the 50 paint set Army Painter has is a slightly better deal. In general I've found AP paints kind of variable in quality with a fair number being decidedly light on coverage. Their quickshades are pretty good, though, so an alternative to consider might be the AP Quickshade set and something like the Vallejo Game Color set.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Made a ton of progress on the Guard these past couple of months. Got the lightbox set up to take some pics, tried a new backdrop but they ended up looking a bit washed out, guess I still need to experiment with lighting and stuff to get better pics.

From nothing most of the year, to 10 test guys in September, to almost finished 1k halfway through November. Just got a few more tanks to do and I've mostly finished my planned stuff.

There's no squad markings or fancy stuff on the vehicles yet, the plan is to decide on all that once I've got the bulk of the work done so I can keep it consistent later with transfers etc.

A basic squad. I have 5 more of these, couldn't be bothered digging them all out of the case for photo time.

2x Platoon Command Squad and Company Command Squad.

Heavy Weapon Teams. As per 2nd ed Imperial Guard Codex structure each will be 'attached' to one of the squads in a platoon.

Primaris Psyker and Lord Commissar.

Sentinel Squadron. Will be fielded separately when I want to run a Brigade.

Today's progress, the first of 3 Leman Russes. Weapons aren't glued but the other options aren't painted up yet. This one will mostly be blowing itself up with plasma misfires.

Picture from the top shelf of my Detolf showing the whole of both platoons, plus the assorted Street Violence gangs (possibly for use as conscripts) and dog shaped robot buddies I painted up as a diversion. Despite it being a quick shot with the flash the colours ended up better!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

More of the Khorne; this week taking the name 'Flesh hound' a bit too literally;

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted a dismounted Muslim Knight from c. 1100:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Did a stormtrooper squad.

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
A Warboss and 20 Gretchin painted over 2 evenings... My eyes are bleeding...

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

adamantium|wang posted:

Did a stormtrooper squad.

I'm very impressed that you managed to keep all the little antennae attached.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Making progress!

This showed up yesterday.

Already assembled the H erdstone, 3 x Bray Shamans, and a Ghorgon.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 21, 2018

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started making progress on my Daemons after the test model. Going to be one of three skin tones i'm going to use amongst units, using the armour as the unifying factor between them all.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Painted a Hac Tao today. Tried something a little different this time, went for a decloaking effect with my airbrush then a bunch of blending and other fun tricks I've been learning over the last few months.

This is exciting because this feels like I've genuinely hit a new plateau as a painter.

xposting from the Infinity thread. This is the first time I've done this kind of decloak effect and it came out looking really nice. I should probably blackline the upper part a bit though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That looks really good.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

xposting from the Infinity thread. This is the first time I've done this kind of decloak effect and it came out looking really nice. I should probably blackline the upper part a bit though.

That's hella rad, post bigger pictures.

I keep experimenting with different variants to depict the lunar surface:

making greenish grey dust and gravel look interesting is way harder than bases where more is going on :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I like that. I might try something similar with my Battletech dudes.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

That's hella rad, post bigger pictures.

I keep experimenting with different variants to depict the lunar surface:

making greenish grey dust and gravel look interesting is way harder than bases where more is going on :v:

This looks really good dude

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! I also really love the titan you posted in the painting thread. Great base on that too.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Just did a poo poo-ton of airbrushing.

(The Aggressors were admittedly already "done," but I brightened them up a bit. Well, the two on the right. The one on the left was when I ran out of paint, finally, and I didn't really want to use a whole 'nother drop just for one more ostensibly-already-done guy.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Well that was a pain in the rear end involving Tamiya tape and masking fluid. Still better than trying to establish this gradient on the gun casings with glazes, though. And at least this time I realized that the best way to remove masking fluid is a tiny ball of gummy dried masking fluid on the end of a toothpick.

(Now to wait for it to fully dry over an hour or so and then hit it with satin varnish to protect the airbrush work....)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Add StephenIs to the list of people I hate to post after.

Still a ways to go, but I am digging it!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

dexefiend posted:

That looks great.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

dexefiend posted:

Holy balls that looks so good. Was that airbrushed?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
X-postin' from the 40k thread:

Mikey Purp posted:

Finally found the time to finish up some models over Thanksgiving break.

Librarian Dreadnought:

Death Company with the chainsword bayonet conversion:

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I haven't painted in a while but it feels good to be putting paint on models again. Cross posting this from the 40k thread.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Jcam posted:

I haven't painted in a while but it feels good to be putting paint on models again. Cross posting this from the 40k thread.

How do you glowy baton so good

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hixson posted:

Holy cow, dude - this is amazing!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Holy cow, dude - this is amazing!

Cow, you say?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

Looking great man, wish I had the same motivation and working speed you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Where the hell does the time go when you sit down to paint?

That's from a single coat of reikland flesh shade over the white, it's ridiculous how well that works.

Mostly blocked out, still need to hit everything with the primary colors and do all the clothing bits on the Poxwalkers, then shade everything with Agrax.