Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

KidDynamite posted:

wife works in advertising can confirm

she told me she’s run facebook reports days after a campaign is done and they’ve failed to meet metrics but then magically when it’s time to present to clients facebook comes back with the right numbers. everyone knows they’re getting grifted but won’t do anything about it because then their job doesn’t exist.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Munkeymon posted:

just heard a thing on a podcast about how Twitter was sure they found a botnet by posting metrics but when someone dug into it they found out that some conspiracy peddling grifter was signal boosting by sweet-talking old retired ladies into paying him to get on a list of old ladies he regularly flirted with on DMs. only rule other than the entry fee is that they had to Rt all his bullshit.

lol boomers fail the turing test

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kind Friend posted:

sounds interesting whats the podcast

that wasn't what the whole episode was about - just an example of how people can act a lot like bots if you train them which makes automatic detection ~hard~

:ssh: it's not actually hard and they should ban botnets whether there are people punching the keys or not

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shifty Pony posted:

yah

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Stringent posted:

cookout is the best fast food franchise

1 of the few good things to come out of the south.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...rg-live-updates
facebook getting a grilling that zuck was too scared to show his face at

quote:

Tong then brings up a post made in Sri Lanka, calling for the murder of Muslims. “It was put up at a time when there were significant tensions between Sri Lankan Muslims… that eventually resulted in a state of emergency.

“In that context, wouldn’t such a post inflame tensions?”

Allan agrees it would.

Tong asks why, then, that post is not down. Allan says it should be, and that there must have been a mistake; Tong quotes from Facebook’s response, which says that no policy has been broken, and Allan repeats that it’s a mistake.

quote:

Collins turns to Canada’s Charlie Angus, who says he is “deeply disappointed” at Zuckerberg’s decision to “blow off this meeting”, and asks Allan “who gave Mr Zuckerberg the advice to ignore this committee.”

Allan: “Our intent is to be there to answer the questions you have of us,” but that doesn’t always involve Zuckerberg.

Angus: “Mr Zuckerberg’s decision to not appear here speaks volumes … when he says that the plan was, to move fast and break things, and that breaking may have involved our democratic institutions, does he not think or not believe that parliamentarians will push back?”

Allan: “As we sit here today, there are reviews of Facebook’s engineering product going on that he is leading.”

chestnut santabag fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 27, 2018

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

quote:

And finally, Charlie Angus, Canada’s representative, brings up Facebook’s inflated video metrics, overstated for two years. “I would consider that corporate fraud, on a massive scale,” he says, “and the best fix is anti-trust. The simplest form of regulation would be to break facebook up, or treat it as a utility, so that we can all be sure that we’re counting metrics that are accurate or true. To allow you to gobble up all the competition is not good.”
Allan says, “it depends on the problem we’re trying to solve,” and Angus counters that “the problem is Facebook, everything else is just a symptom.”
Allan: “Unless you’re going to turn off the internet, I’m not sure people would be better off in doing without Facebook offering the services it’s spent 15 years perfecting how to offer.”

loving owns

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067400130452688896?s=19

And Canada is talking antitrust :canada:

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 27, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh, 3rd rate economies are trying to steal more money from superior American companies? this is a new development.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

oh, 3rd rate economies are trying to steal more money from superior American companies? this is a new development.

shut the gently caress up, shaggar

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shaggar posted:

a poo poo post that isn’t funny is just dog poop in your sneaker tread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

my bitch they're a permanent member of the security council

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes lots of countries like to sit at the big boy table and make pretend that they have a say.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yes lots of countries like to sit at the big boy table and make pretend that they have a say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

should bookmark this page, the historic moment where microsoft-boosting wasn't controversial enough for shaggar, so he had to switch to espousing the values of facebook

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

not really it's p small you should read the wikipedia about them it'll tell you how many permanent members there are and what they get up to there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

should bookmark this page, the historic moment where microsoft-boosting wasn't controversial enough for shaggar, so he had to switch to espousing the values of facebook

i don't give a poo poo about facebook, but im not stupid enough to think government having any say in regulation of the internet is a good idea. Facebook is dying on its own and we don't need government to get involved at any level. The EU has a long history of theft from American companies and Canada getting in on the game is not noteworthy. If they use it as an excuse to censor the internet then its pretty horrible and i don't know why you fascists are rooting for it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

i don't give a poo poo about facebook, but im not stupid enough to think government having any say in regulation of the internet is a good idea. Facebook is dying on its own and we don't need government to get involved at any level. The EU has a long history of theft from American companies and Canada getting in on the game is not noteworthy. If they use it as an excuse to censor the internet then its pretty horrible and i don't know why you fascists are rooting for it.

:allears:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
now i'm just fantasizing about fb getting onto the security council officially

tho i suppose america's already a permanent member lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
shags are you sliding into becoming non-ironic

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i am pretty sure you'll find that the point where countries will start censoring the internet in earnest coincides with the point where it is found that they can't get at obvious bad actors by normal legal channels

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

say, whatever happened to myspaces data when they folded or whatever the gently caress happened to them?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

lmao the eu is stealing from us companies. coincidentally these thefts only seem to happen after flagrantly violating the law for years at a time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

shags are you sliding into becoming non-ironic

i don't have the brain disease you guys do that thinks government censorship is a good idea. like i get you don't like facebook and that's fine cause its not good, but i don't get the desire to see the government punish them outside of political hacks who blame facebook for trump.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Spatial posted:

lmao the eu is stealing from us companies. coincidentally these thefts only seem to happen after flagrantly violating the law for years at a time

nah, they never actually break laws they just get sued into oblivion for being American.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shifty Pony posted:

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

i don't have the brain disease you guys do that thinks government censorship is a good idea. like i get you don't like facebook and that's fine cause its not good, but i don't get the desire to see the government punish them outside of political hacks who blame facebook for trump.

:allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
even if you don't have a problem with facebook as an entity and concept its current leadership is indefensible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

some edit about them breaking the law

what laws?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

even if you don't have a problem with facebook as an entity and concept its current leadership is indefensible

and they're gonna go down with the ship as people continue to abandon the platform. who cares.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shaggar posted:

dude they’ve literally sat on their hands as their tool inflamed genocide

i think it’s ok to consider that maybe they’ve crossed a line

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

and they're gonna go down with the ship as people continue to abandon the platform. who cares.

that ship needs to go down a lot faster

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I hate it when me genocide gets all inflamed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

what laws?

looking like the current questioning is about non-disclosure of data breach of personal information (russia getting at stuff in 2014 in this instance)

in the us i believe only financial institutions have disclosure requirements, but the eu has broader regulation on that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

I hate it when me genocide gets all inflamed

you should use the scifi thread for stellaris discussion

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

that ship needs to go down a lot faster

loving off with billions of dollars, no company, but otherwise scot-free isn't exactly "going down" either

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
shaggar, there is no such thing as stealing from companies.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

dude they’ve literally sat on their hands as their tool inflamed genocide

i think it’s ok to consider that maybe they’ve crossed a line

and the governments you want to censor them are actively committing genocide.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

hoo boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

drat canada is hosed up