Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah I'm only missing like 5 or 6 games so I'll probably just spend $40ish Canadian and round it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BexGu posted:

I'm guessing Nintendo finally made enough of the SNES/NES Classic cause I was picking up a chest freezer at Best Buy on Saturday and they had boxes of the two out on the floor.

Every time I go to Best Buy or Target I see at least 3 of each on display

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I actually had a preorder at best buy and canceled it.

I already have a good amount of ps1 games on my ps3/vita and honestly we're just better off buying/playing newer games. Spyro reignited is so much better than the originals, holy poo poo.

And look, univbee just proved that there really isn't much value in getting this beyond the look of the system itself.

Remember with a ps3, you get 1080p output, wireless controllers and can buy just the games you really wanted. And can also play ps3 games, and ps1 disc's!

Yup, I already have most of the PS1 games I would ever want to play on my ps3. I only pre-ordered in the first place because I wanted a neat little device to sit next to my snes classic and be a little more portable. Eventually I'm doing a retro setup with actual old consoles anyway so it seemed silly.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
pal resident evil directors cut has the proper music, so at least thats something!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh I forgot to mention one thing. If you just buy the ps1 games on a ps3, you can play with a controller that has proper thumbsticks! I'm not saying this is an awful product but it's not doing a good job convincing us to give up $100. Especially when there's plenty of options that exist.

I'm definitely trying to be a lot more careful with my money so I'm gonna have to pass on this.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm saying it. It's an awful product.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I maintain that lack of a dual shock is probably the least bad thing about the PS Classic, especially since none of the games on there control particularly well with a DS. Most of those games were designed to be used with a controller without thumbsticks and playing with thumbsticks on them is usually a worse experience. It's like trying to play emulated nes games and using a thumbsticks instead of a d-pad. Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil Dual Shock (and Ape Escape obviously) would be the biggest winners of switching to analog controllers but MGS plays perfectly well without because its maps are designed to be navigated easily using a d-pad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ridge Racer, dude.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DrNutt posted:

I maintain that lack of a dual shock is probably the least bad thing about the PS Classic, especially since none of the games on there control particularly well with a DS. Most of those games were designed to be used with a controller without thumbsticks and playing with thumbsticks on them is usually a worse experience. It's like trying to play emulated nes games and using a thumbsticks instead of a d-pad. Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil Dual Shock (and Ape Escape obviously) would be the biggest winners of switching to analog controllers but MGS plays perfectly well without because its maps are designed to be navigated easily using a d-pad.

Seriously this...

I mean, I think people are upset about not being able to use the control for other purposes since it's USB.

But whatever, I'm buying this thing for the novelty of it. I'm sure you'll be able to hack it, replace the PAL versions with the US versions. I have a retro gaming TV in my den with all my mini consoles and a spot for a old school consoles, so this will fit in nice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ridge Racer, dude.

I'm sorry but the only ps1 racing games I could be bothered to gaf about are JetMoto and Gran Turismo, and neither of those made the cut. However I will happily give you Ridge Racer and point out that now there are three whopping games on that library that would benefit from a DS.

This thing is being put out to die and it's pretty clear no one at Sony was into this except as something to poo poo out half-heartedly and part a few dumb nerds from their money.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So here's my guess - they probably chose the PAL versions where they were a later revision.

For example, the PAL version of Abe's Oddyssey has some fixes from the first NTSC version. As to why they didn't include the later NTSC version, best guess is because it includes a preview of the sequel.

They still could be better about the communication. For example, will they have them run at 60 fps, thus negating that PAL slowdown?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PAL?

NTSC?

Who gives a gently caress when there’s no Tony Hawk...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If Sony would have gone straight for a PS2 Classic and its gigantic roster of good, classic games, and given the thing a decent sized hard drive, they might have had better luck. Or at least maybe they would have had a decent chance of success instead of the imminent flop that's coming.

I wonder how nervous/depressed the PS1 Classic's project head is right now.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 27, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’ll sell well even though it’s looking like a piece of poo poo just based on the PlayStation name.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What would you even put on a PS2 Classic that is feasible, worth the price, and doesn't have a remaster?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

What would you even put on a PS2 Classic that is feasible, worth the price, and doesn't have a remaster?

GTA III
Soul Calibur 2
One of the Tekkens
Persona 4
Zone of the Enders
Killzone
ICO
Armored Core 3
Star Ocean: Til the End of Time
Metal Gear Solid 2
GunGrave (it IS getting new titles after all)
Gitaroo Man
God of War
Shadow Hearts
Splinter Cell

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GTA III
Soul Calibur 2
One of the Tekkens
Persona 4
Zone of the Enders
Killzone
ICO
Armored Core 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Gitaroo Man
God of War
Shadow Hearts
Splinter Cell

Spider-Man 2 movie game. Still technically a Sony franchise so they should be able to pull it off.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Am Xbox Classic scaled down to the size of a PS2

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GTA III
Soul Calibur 2
One of the Tekkens
Persona 4
Zone of the Enders
Killzone
ICO
Armored Core 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Gitaroo Man
God of War
Shadow Hearts
Splinter Cell

Many of those titles have remasters, and Persona 4 has an upgraded version that completely obsoletes the original. You'd be paying like $150-200 on a box that plays inferior titles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

Many of those titles have remasters, and Persona 4 has an upgraded version that completely obsoletes the original. You'd be paying like $150-200 on a box that plays inferior titles.

Those remasters are on PS3, not PS4, and Persona 4 Golden is on the Vita. Which is long dead now, and I don't see so much as a whisper of it getting a PS4 version.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Then, let's make a PS3/V Classic!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Takoluka posted:

All of the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper games on PS2 would be good options

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GTA III
Soul Calibur 2
One of the Tekkens
Persona 4
Zone of the Enders
Killzone
ICO
Armored Core 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Gitaroo Man
God of War
Shadow Hearts
Splinter Cell

These are some good suggestions too, though if it only has one PS2 GTA game on it, it really should be San Andreas instead of 3

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Why would you even consider going a PS2 Classic without God Hand

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cartoon Man posted:

PAL?

NTSC?

Who gives a gently caress when there’s no Tony Hawk...

This right here.

EDIT: A better option for them would have been to make something like a 'Playstation Retro Collection' and not limit themselves to just one platform, but put stuff from the PS1 and PS2.

But given what they eventually ended up with, none of this matters because they'd never, ever do it anyway.

poo poo, I thought SEGA was bad at this whole thing, but daaaaaamn :psyduck:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
A theoretical PS2 Classic would have a games list of similar quality to the PS1 Classic so expect more Fantavision and The Mark of Kri and less Ico and Sly Cooper or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only thing we know about Sega's Megadrive Mini is that Sega Japan delayed it and brought it in-house to keep AtGames from loving it up, so they're already on the right track.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

A theoretical PS2 Classic would have a games list of similar quality to the PS1 Classic so expect more Fantavision and The Mark of Kri and less Ico and Sly Cooper or something.

I like Fantavision and have bought it on PS2 and again on PS4.

I'm fully aware that I'm the only person in the world who's like this.

e: Oh hey Giant Bomb just posted their Quick Look of this thing so you can see it in action, 2.5 hours long:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/playstation-classic/2970-18613/

Veib fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 27, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Two and a half loving hours certainly qualifies as a "quick" look. Jesus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This right here.

EDIT: A better option for them would have been to make something like a 'Playstation Retro Collection' and not limit themselves to just one platform, but put stuff from the PS1 and PS2.

But given what they eventually ended up with, none of this matters because they'd never, ever do it anyway.

The licensing cost and effort to get a Tony Hawk game on it would mean they'd have no budget for any other game on it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The licensing cost and effort to get a Tony Hawk game on it would mean they'd have no budget for any other game on it.

Yes but you wouldn't need any other games.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Timby posted:

Better to think of it as 21 quick looks in a row: Question the console itself. Then collectively shrug 20 times at the games.

Been using it as background sound and I'm not sure I've heard any really glowing comments, but I'm also only tangentially listening.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Timby posted:

Congratulations on making the joke

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
which tony hawk game is this GOAT that everyone mentions, theres like 12 of them for that gen.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Vikar Jerome posted:

which tony hawk game is this GOAT that everyone mentions, theres like 12 of them for that gen.

Tony Hawk 2X and 4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I thought Underground 1 or 2 was the definitive Hawk?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cemetry Gator posted:

They still could be better about the communication. For example, will they have them run at 60 fps, thus negating that PAL slowdown?
It's worse than that. DF did an analysis and the PAL games are emulated at 50 Hz (thus, slow) but the actual video output of the console is 60 Hz, so it's duplicating every fifth frame resulting in jank.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

jesus christ

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's worse than that. DF did an analysis and the PAL games are emulated at 50 Hz (thus, slow) but the actual video output of the console is 60 Hz, so it's duplicating every fifth frame resulting in jank.

Hell yeah, this is the wackiness I crave.

Started downloading the PS1 titles back onto my PS3. :feelsgood:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
This is starting to sound like that @Games scam where they sent a review copy out with the arcade ROMS and then the retail version used NES ROMS instead.

It takes more work to gently caress up that way instead of just doing it right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

you dont really get jank from pal 50hz outputting at 60hz unless your setup is poo poo or you've lived in ntsc land all your life. source - me.

fakeedit: 50hz causes my projectors fan to go insane for some reason so i keep my upscaler set to 60hz for all my ps1/ps2/wii/n64 stuff and its fine. shame the ps3 refuses to run ps1 games any other way tho since that does look cleaner rather than scart.