Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So here's another shiny hunting question. Can I hit 31 chain somewhere else, fly to a place where the Pokemon I prefer spawns, and just keep going back and forth between rooms to try and spawn the shiny? The shiny isn't tied to the pokemon you're chaining right?

I don't believe it is but the IVs are so you'll end up with a lovely shiny.

Big McHuge posted:

You know what is awful? Chaining Dratinis.

Chaining anything rare loving suuuuuuuuuuucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Peacoffee posted:

Yes and yes

trade evos are the worst part about pokemon games and I'd rather suffer with two dozen useless but necessary HMs. imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big McHuge posted:

I can't even get the first one to spawn. I got a Dragonair, still no Dratini

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pokemon with a low spawn chance who also aren't on the rare list that gain encounter % with chain are the worst. Looking at you, Pinsir.

This is an incredibly dumb post but honestly it would be easier to get an android emulator, spoof your location in Pokemon Go to find Dratini, and then transfer them over.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't believe it is but the IVs are so you'll end up with a lovely shiny.

This game has hyper training.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Thankfully Nov 30-Dec 3 is the extended mass community day in Go, it should be much easier finding a shiny dratini in that timeframe to transfer to yourself than waiting on a chain in lets go. There'll also be boosted spawns for the gen 1 starters, pikachu, eevee, and some gen 2 mons that might be useful if/when we get Let's Go Togepi and Marill. Even if you plan on never playing again afterwards, can't hurt to poke around and try your luck for a few days.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

AzureSkye posted:

Nov 30-Dec 3

Pokemon Go Contract Frostbite

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Nothing stopping you from seeing what spawns at the mall or outside your house ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I can't even get the first one to spawn. I got a Dragonair, still no Dratini

I'm fairly certain Dratinis are cursed, the water area they spawn in is loving tiny.

I somehow managed to get 2 Dragonairs and a shiny Nidoran before I saw a single Dratini.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can I seriously not just hit a button to dismount from the flying Pokemon post-Elite Four?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Can I seriously not just hit a button to dismount from the flying Pokemon post-Elite Four?

Ah, you've stumbled into the second Terrible Horrible No-Good Very Bad Design Flaw

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It took me twenty minutes to find a Scyther, and it ran away after two pokeball throws.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bleck posted:

It took me twenty minutes to find a Scyther, and it ran away after two pokeball throws.

I spent about an hour and a half trying to find a Scyther and never found one

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I am up to my loving elbows in jolly scythers as I am on day 2 of chaining for a shiny. I actually found a shiny scyther very early on but it’s stats were trash and it’s nature abysmal.

Who wants a drat scyther?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There's nothing you can do about the nature unfortunately but IVs don't matter when you can max them all out after a week of Mina battles.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
If you catch an off-chain shiny that you'd use you're much better off using SRs to save scum a gold bottlecap from the game corner.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm not giving up my garbage shiny scyther, but as I said, I'm up to my elbows in jolly 4IV scythers, so if anyone wants one, please take one away from me as they are just being grinded into candy right now.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

the long-awaited follow-up to my Nier Automata gameplay guide

now give me a guide on how to do excellent throws when Chansey isn't in the center [which is 95% of the time] because i wear to god it sucks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Almost done with the Dex. All I'm missing that I can get are mainly the trade evolutions (Alakazam, Machamp, Golem, Gengar) and a couple of stone evos which I'll be knocking out today. Grimer/Muk and Doduo/trio however I'll need to trade for.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How are people so loving stupid online?

Go to trade

Ok I'm putting up a Kadabra here, pretty obvious what I want.

Kingler?! No you loving moron nobody wants Kingler anyone can get Kingler!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Go to trade

You want a rattata, right?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Go to trade

Some poor kid that doesn't know about evolutions and stuff thought that was a fair trade you big meanie :smith:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

Lol you got my sympathies, I got bored waiting for them to spawn and wandered off. Hang in there!!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

A Spider Covets posted:

Lol you got my sympathies, I got bored waiting for them to spawn and wandered off. Hang in there!!

I got up to about 15 and wanted to shoot myself. There's a small square in the bottom right corner of the river, you can just park there and lure and it seems "ok". I finally just accepted that this wasn't gonna happen so I'm back on the Ponyta grind. Seen two shiny duoduos so far, but I want my god drat demon horse.

Related question: I found a Ponyta that's listed as "Best" in all the categories, but I have another, ever so slightly worse one that is a few CP higher. What would cause this? (this is my first real pokemon game, so apologies if it's some feature that was implemented years ago that I'm unaware of!)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just need two loving Dratini guys. I have a Dragonair. I'm going to evolve it. I just need a Dratini to keep as himself and one to evolve into a Dragonair, for dat living Dex

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I got a Ponyta chain out to loving 323 yesterday before just giving up. I didn't get nothing because I took the opportunity to level up a bunch of pokemon to 40~ and really fill out the pokedex. Also one of those Ponytas is bound to be really good.

edit: seriously though, I won't be doing that again until I get a shiny charm. That was an ordeal

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 27, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I just need two loving Dratini guys. I have a Dragonair. I'm going to evolve it. I just need a Dratini to keep as himself and one to evolve into a Dragonair, for dat living Dex

Don't bother evolving a Dragonair, getting a Dragonite to spawn in the sky as a rare spawn once you beat the E4 and can fly is surprisingly easy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alxprit posted:

Don't bother evolving a Dragonair, getting a Dragonite to spawn in the sky as a rare spawn once you beat the E4 and can fly is surprisingly easy.

But that won't be one I raised with love

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

It's very consistent when you figure it out. I'm trying to think of a way to describe the motion.

Ok think if yourself as a Jet or a Shark in West Side Story, you are chilling and you see your rival gang coming down the street. So you start strutting toward them and whispering "Jetssssssss" punctuated by snapping your fingers. You snap to the left with both hands. "Sharksssssss" they reply, snapping to the right with both hands. Some horns and a snare drum blast out, punctuating the tension as both gangs snap their fingers in the middle

Throwing dual pokeballs works the same way.

And I'm 99% sure the catch rate improves if you do dance moves to the timing of the pokeball shaking. Just like holding down and B

If anyone tells you they don't hold A during attacks or down and B hwen they throw a ball just out of muscle memory they're a loving liar

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Just got to Victory Road and the E4. I want a living dex on this since I have one on all my other games. What Pokemon should I focus on chaining/catching *now* before the E4 changes the rare spawn table?

My impression is that I should get:
  • The bulbasaur, charmander, and squirtle lines
  • Dratini
  • Pinsir
  • Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan

Am I missing anyone?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dienes posted:

Just got to Victory Road and the E4. I want a living dex on this since I have one on all my other games. What Pokemon should I focus on chaining/catching *now* before the E4 changes the rare spawn table?

• Dratini
  • Pinsir

Am I missing anyone?

No worries about the Chanlee, they're in a cave where the flying won't bother it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Doesn't the removal of EVs means there's no difference between a Pokemon raised from lvl 1 and one caught fully evolved? Besides moves, anyway.

Regardless, that fucker evolves at lvl 55. It ain't worth it

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
How exactly does the Elite 4 change the rare spawn tables?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mewtwo hits like a loving truck holy poo poo. Like I understand he's the endgame big catch but even still

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Mewtwo hits like a loving truck holy poo poo. Like I understand he's the endgame big catch but even still

I failed my first attempt against him hard. Won the second by leading with Toxic and stalling.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Would alolan Raticate be basically immune to most of his powers?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Dienes posted:

• Dratini
  • Pinsir

Am I missing anyone?

As far as I've been able to tell beating the E4 doesn't actually change the encounter tables, it just adds flying pokemon which spawn independently of walking/swimming pokemon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I failed my first attempt against him hard. Won the second by leading with Toxic and stalling.

Can Toxic not be put on a Pokemon that's sleeping

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

More 3DS event codes:

Kyogre S SM/Groudon M UM :siren: Must be redeemed today :siren: :A852SHHRFZ8F4CHD AND 852SHHN6NANXRS9

MORE Zekrom/Resihiram Codes: A869L6JY3A6FD7HT

A869L6KYFEKMHDUK

A869L6LH845AWG6R

A869L6NY4XU4k6GF

A869L6YEY6M7LAXU

A869L72WHGQFAQUS

A869L632P5CL6KJK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Raise one you catch in Go during Community Weekend with love and then shove it into your switch.

Macaluso posted:

Can Toxic not be put on a Pokemon that's sleeping

Correct. Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Freeze, and Burn cannot overlap with each other. Basically no two status effects that are kept after battle can be applied at once.