Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I see Hillary trying to run but I don’t see how she gets enough support to win any primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
yipyip

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ok, i'll toxx that Hillary will not be a declared candidate in the Democratic Iowa caucuses

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

We poo poo on the NYT a lot for its opinion pieces especially, and deservedly so, but I feel it's only fair to share one that's actually pretty decent and not awful:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-poverty-wealth-conservative_us_5bfc52cbe4b03b230fa59f96?29x

:laffo:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

evilweasel posted:

ok, i'll toxx that Hillary will not be a declared candidate in the Democratic Iowa caucuses

youre a bolder man than i, evilweasel

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

Nobody's funding or backing a Hillary repeat. And she's too old to do something for a decade and come back. Once you lose a Presidential race, people talk about giving you another shot but nobody gets one since Nixon. Especially when you went up against someone who was widely considered a weak candidate: Hillary got her chance, blew it, and nobody in the party is giving her another one.

There are a lot of things that are forgivable in politics, but failure at that level isn't really one of them.

I agree with this. I mean the DNC practically force fed her the nomination, there were the hubris "happy birthday to this future president" social media posts... and she lost. I was a hardcore Sanders backer and I was infuriated how the party handled the primary. It absolutely turned me off to big national party volunteering and re-orientated me around local elections.

Enough DNC members are bitter enough to never back her again and her losing make the party look super stupid.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 27, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Nobody's funding or backing a Hillary repeat. And she's too old to do something for a decade and come back. Once you lose a Presidential race, people talk about giving you another shot but nobody gets one since Nixon. Especially when you went up against someone who was widely considered a weak candidate: Hillary got her chance, blew it, and nobody in the party is giving her another one.

There are a lot of things that are forgivable in politics, but failure at that level isn't really one of them.

This. Losing to Donald Trump was the final nail in Hillary's political coffin. In the age of social media, the 24-hour news cycle, and instant recall, she isn't going to be able to mount a Nixon-esque comeback. Hillary's many things, but stupid isn't one of them, and she can read the cards just like we can. She isn't going to run for President again.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:bravo:

Someone avatar-ize this for me, please

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 27, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

But will she be in the straw poll

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Baha.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1067468329458249729
the best people

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

:cheers:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

Use the emote, nerd. DO IT.

brave, brave man

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This. Losing to Donald Trump was the final nail in Hillary's political coffin. In the age of social media, the 24-hour news cycle, and instant recall, she isn't going to be able to mount a Nixon-esque comeback. Hillary's many things, but stupid isn't one of them, and she can read the cards just like we can. She isn't going to run for President again.

the only person pushing the idea that hillary is running is loving Mark Penn in that one poo poo editorial. since then, he was last seen helping coordinate the challenge by conservatives against Pelosi, and appearing on Fox News. and he hasn't worked for Clinton since he spearheaded the incredibly effective 'let's be racist about barack obama' 2008 primary strategy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Almost anybody *could* win but there's a big leap from could to would. Most of the Democratic challengers I see getting talked up have zero charisma and I doubt would be any more effective at dealing with Trump than any of his Republican challengers were.

I posted a couple Gillibrand videos a couple days ago, did you watch any of them? :colbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I think I disagree and it’s primarily because Hillary is in the unique situation of being married to a former president and having a lot of loyalists in the party establishment itself since the Clintons remade the party in their image in the 90s. That institutional support isn’t going to translate to base support tho imo.

its impossible to support a hillary 2020 campaign without looking like such a tremendous idiot that you would be nuking your political career, and the clintons no longer have any power to twist arms because anyone they pushed to punish someone who didn't support a hillary 2020 campaign would look at them like they'd grown a third head and politely tell them that they weren't gonna support it either and perhaps hillary should consider something else to do with her time

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Z. Autobahn posted:

Voter suppression tactics are gong to be weaker in 2020 given how many state governments the Republicans lost control of in one form or another

Democrats retaking state governments in the Great Lakes is going to turn out to be, by far, their greatest victory in 2018. Between WI, MI, and NV in 2018 and NC in 2016, they've now lost 45 electoral votes worth of governorships.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 27, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

its impossible to support a hillary 2020 campaign without looking like such a tremendous idiot that you would be nuking your political career, and the clintons no longer have any power to twist arms because anyone they pushed to punish someone who didn't support a hillary 2020 campaign would look at them like they'd grown a third head and politely tell them that they weren't gonna support it either and perhaps hillary should consider something else to do with her time

I think you are being hugely charitable to the donor class and the centrist wing of the party here but we're arguing hypotheticals at this point so I will agree to disagree. Mad respect that you toxx'd on it tho. :hai:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
HRC will not run. She's probably barely alive at this point. She barely had the stamina to finish up in 2016. Remember when she collapsed?

What is Huma Abedin up to now anyway?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Xombie posted:

It probably won't, it's one factory is in rustbelted Northeast Ohio. Soybean farmers declaring bankruptcy in droves is probably more influential, but the Senate will desperately bail them out.

I wish the House would have the guts to push through a bailout bill that reverses the Trump tax policies and basically earmarks those funds for a Medicare-for-all public option.

In that ideal scenario we’ll get to watch chud-state senators squirm by knowing they’ll either a) save the base by pissing off corporations and eventually get primaried by a dark-money-funded corporate boot-licking candidate, or b) save the corporations by killing the base and get primaried by some dumb-gently caress fascist promising even dumber economic ideas that will drive the state further into desperation. :getin:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Volunteering to be Hillary’s host for the GET OUT procedure and preparing to run for Gillibrsnd’s seat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I posted a couple Gillibrand videos a couple days ago, did you watch any of them? :colbert:

I forgot to but watched her on Colbert the other night. I just don't see her or Harris as having enough fire in their bellies to inspire a Facebook share. They're not bad but they strike me as Lindsey-Graham tier not Trump/Obama/Clinton/Biden tier. They aren't angry and they aren't empathetic, they're just professional. Professional is fine but people don't vote for it in a president.

Biden, Warren and Booker all do have real charisma but they've each managed to shoot themselves in the foot in different ways.Beto has charisma but he's hard to predict about.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 27, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

selec posted:

Volunteering to be Hillary’s host for the GET OUT procedure and preparing to run for Gillibrsnd’s seat.

:chloe:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

HRC will not run. She's probably barely alive at this point. She barely had the stamina to finish up in 2016. Remember when she collapsed?

dodging wieners phone calls

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

I think you are being hugely charitable to the donor class and the centrist wing of the party here but we're arguing hypotheticals at this point so I will agree to disagree. Mad respect that you toxx'd on it tho. :hai:

Yeah, there's a whole infrastructure of Hillary Folks who have every incentive to manufacture a run if only to sell merchandise to the Hillary Is 44 types. I still think she flames out early due to lack of institutional support but an initial run isn't impossible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

If EvilWeasel loses his Toxx, can there be a funnier punishment than a straight ban? We'll need it after that to avoid drinking ourselves to death.

Plus, bans aren't means-tested and are thus regressive.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Uh, continuing the 5 parliament committee hearing on Facebook and theyre totally cool bro data practices...

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067463345425588226

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067464748617351169

Oooh boi

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I forgot to but watched her on Colbert the other night. I just don't see her or Harris as having enough fire in their bellies to inspire a Facebook share. They're not bad but they strike me as Lindsey-Graham tier not Trump/Obama/Clinton/Biden tier. They aren't angry and they aren't empathetic, they're just professional. Professional is fine but people don't vote for it in a president.

Biden, Warren and Booker all do have real charisma but they've each managed to shoot themselves in the foot in different ways.Beto has charisma but he's hard to predict about.

Gillibrand strikes me as the sort of person who would be a good, effective president, but a bad candidate. Sort of Al Gore-ish.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yep, yep yep yep yep yep. Uh-huh, uh-huh.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I mean, it's as plausible as any other explanation for her demented loyalty.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think Hillary might run a semi-vanity primary campaign but there's no way she's getting the nomination. I think she's got enough of an ego and enough influence in the Dem establishment that she'd run in the primary to try and act as king or queenmaker. Clinton won't be in the general but I could see trying to push her anointed successor and then "winning" by proxy.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

If EvilWeasel loses his Toxx, can there be a funnier punishment than a straight ban? We'll need it after that to avoid drinking ourselves to death.

Beware what you recommend, there are reversals of fortune, friend.

VVV
:lol: drat

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KillHour posted:

If Evilweasel loses his toxx then I mod challenge him to read Nathan J. Robinson's Superpredator: Bill Clinton's Use and Abuse of Black America and write a 5,000 word analysis/review/refutation/whatever he feels about the book paper about it, or I will permaban him. If he wins the toxx then I will write the paper instead.

:toxx:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Aidan_702 posted:

Uh, continuing the 5 parliament committee hearing on Facebook and theyre totally cool bro data practices...

If we get Manafort in superjail and Facebook’s Canadian operations being seized in December I may be tempted to call 2018 a success.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

evilweasel posted:

I don't know about that though -- she keeps popping up in the news cycle for stuff she has been saying, is fairly wealthy herself, and while she has lost establishment pull there are still a lot of diehards loyal to the Clinton camp. She won't win the primary but I can see her trying again to sate her own ego.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Biden is almost certainly the front runner right now but he will probably shoot himself in the dick somehow. Bloomberg has an outside shot at pulling a Ralph Nader and act as a spoiler in the general -- that's one of the ways Trump wins.

I don't think Hillary will be able to get the funding for a second run.

Right now I think the most likely scenario is all the zero-charisma centrists snipe away at each other and the progressive wing stays clear for Bernie but it's anybody's game at this point.

biden already shot himself in the dick when he hung a medal of freedom around george w bush's neck. that's a hosed up thing to do and even more hosed up to allow himself to be photographed doing it. also metoo stuff. the guy just takes bad pictures i guess

bloomberg will be an incredibly hilarious and darkly ironic twist if he runs third party. after years of everyone saying third parties aren't viable and multitudes of independent organizations trying desperately to break the two party system, the most viable 3rd party candidate will be a billionaire trying to undermine the democratic party for being too radical. you can't make this poo poo up. i guess bob dole ran a pretty popular independent campaign, but that didn't turn out so well. i just can't see a path to victory for bloomberg, only spoiling. which i suppose is a kind of victory of its own.

hillary's third run

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

Beware what you recommend, there are reversals of fortune, friend.

VVV
:lol: drat

I'm currently toxxed under threat of perma to write and perform a musical if Trump revokes Jus Soli citizenship. I do not live in a glass house, brother.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

What does Maine's D bench even look like?

Maine’s rep in CD-1, Chellie Pingree, isn’t a political heavyweight nationally but she’s enormously popular in her district. Reportedly been mulling a (second) run against Collins for a while. I think some people were surprised she didn’t try last time around. She’d have to work a little to win statewide but it feels like Collins is doing everything she can to help her out.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I'll currently toxxed under threat of perma to write and perform a musical. I do not live in a glass house, brother.

I would say "troubling times," but you seem up to the task. Luck be with you! :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well she has no reason to pretend. she is gone in 2020 so why care.

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067463345425588226

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1067464748617351169

Oooh boi

I like how the UK just doesn't give a poo poo and is fine with drowning facebook in the tub.