Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cowcaster posted:

i prefer greek interrupts myself

I have no idea why it’s called Roman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

false roman cancels are from GGXX and they don’t slow down time they just cost less meter. Xrd added the time slowing thing and there they go by color names. yellow, red, and purple roman cancels.

Also when you do one in XX the announcer says “ROMANTIC” so it might be short for romantic cancels

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

b_d posted:

false roman cancels are from GGXX and they don’t slow down time they just cost less meter. Xrd added the time slowing thing and there they go by color names. yellow, red, and purple roman cancels.

Also when you do one in XX the announcer says “ROMANTIC” so it might be short for romantic cancels

Yeah, I edited.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

i prefer greek interrupts myself

In my house that's just called family dinner.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Roman is also a loanword from the French in Japanese that means novel, although I doubt that's the reference

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Caesarean intersections

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started Guacamelee 2, seems okay now but that opening sequence of 'lol remember these other games lol' was pretty cringe inducing

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I do enjoy a Peloponnesian Pause

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Started Guacamelee 2, seems okay now but that opening sequence of 'lol remember these other games lol' was pretty cringe inducing

report back when you reach The Dankest Timeline

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a succinct report

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you're a recent monster hunter convert and you've never seen the "roman gunlancing" videos well, you should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBiJ3BYCnM

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I got linked this article of a bunch of anecdotes on Ken Kutaragi from a thread that I now can't find, but:

[quote=Makoto Iwai
Former general manager, Sony Computer Entertainment Korea]

When I decided to leave Sony [in 2005], I got an offer from Namco and [an offer from] Bandai. After deep consideration, I went with Bandai, and I sent a proper letter of apology to Namco. One week later, they announced the merger [between Bandai and Namco]. I was like, “Oh poo poo.”

So I was part of the merger program — meeting the management staff, meeting each other and [attending] parties. And they said, “Oh Makoto, we were destined to be together anyway.” That kind of thing. Some people didn’t have a good feeling about that, but anyway, that’s part one [of the story].

Then Mr. Unozawa, at that time head of the video game section of Bandai — he later became Bandai Namco’s president — Unozawa-san and Ken were quite close. And there was one time Ken casually told Unozawa-san, “My son [Hayato] applied to your company, but looks like he didn’t make it.” Then Unozawa-san was like ... pale. And he called Bandai’s HR, yelled at the person in charge: “What the heck? How come you messed up?” Kutaragi is a very unique family name, even in Japan. So, “You should have known that.”

Well anyway, then they tried to give [Hayato] a second chance, saying that, “Ah, there was some kind of mistake. We’d like you to come back and do the interview.” Ken’s son is a very mild-mannered, modest person, [so he said], “Oh no, that’s OK. Thank you very much, but I’m fine.”

Then he got a job at Namco. [laughs][/quote]

[quote=Michael Murray
Game designer and interpreter, Bandai Namco]

I remember one that I think is OK to say.

After Kutaragi-san retired from Sony, his son [Hayato] actually joined Bandai Namco. He worked under Harada in the sales department. And this was right when we were beginning to port Tekken to other systems besides PlayStation. Tekken 6 was the first time it was on Xbox.

So Harada put him in charge of the Xbox version.

He had to do all the negotiations with Microsoft. It was quite entertaining. [...] Then later he went on to work on the Tales Of series, which is what he wanted to do from the start.[/quote]

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Frog Act posted:

So I can't figure out where to ask this question, really, but I suspect someone in here might be able to answer me. I just downloaded Warcraft 2 to play via dosbox and it all works wonderfully except my scroll speed is insanely fast - like if I hit the up arrow or mouse to the edge of the screen I just shoot up there and so I can't really control any units or scroll partially to see them. I wanna play Warcraft 2, does anyone know how I can fix this? Thank you in advance

drat I'd like to know too because I started replaying Warcraft 1 (with a patch that makes it possible to right click for commands, thank god) and I'm having the same problem regardless of what settings I use (lowering CPU cycles, etc.).

For Warcraft 2, you could try Wargus but I don't think it works 100 percent properly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wargus cancels

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Trying to figure out why anything is named anything in an arcsys game is a path of madness

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Roman is also a loanword from the French in Japanese that means novel, although I doubt that's the reference

novel as in "unique/new" or novel as in a type of book?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

excel accede(?) . or is it exceed accel(??)? pretty sure it’s EA.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cowcaster posted:

novel as in "unique/new" or novel as in a type of book?

as in a book, see "roman-a-clef" which is probably the only time you'd see that term if you're an english speaker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also in the term "noveau roman" which means "new novel"

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

force roman incel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Himuro posted:

I have no idea why it’s called Roman.

Roman candles.

Its a bad pun for a bunch of colorful explosions when you hit the cancel commamd

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Poniard posted:

force roman incel

nero, to his friends

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
With all the recent talk in the thread over the last couple of weeks of people giving their GOTYs I've realised it would be super fun to bring over the Top 10 of the Year thread that I've run a few times in TV IV. Before I get started on knocking an OP up I just wanted to check, is this something that someone already does in this forum? I don't want to go stepping on somebody's toes :ohdear:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

what always happens with those is even if people have interesting taste individually, collectively you end up with just the same predictable list as everywhere else

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hey maybe it's because i poisoned my brain with several years of playing every game on Kongregate, but The Hex was really good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tales of Woe posted:

what always happens with those is even if people have interesting taste individually, collectively you end up with just the same predictable list as everywhere else

You say this but one year in TVIV Jessica Jones came #2, it was ace

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Going to throw my vote in for Spiderman

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Imo it would be more fun if you could push people to write a bit about why they picked the games they did, something beyond 'gameplay was good,' but good luck

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The TVIV ones at least end up being noticeably different from what critics put out

Go for it Rarity it's fun

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Imo it would be more fun if you could push people to write a bit about why they picked the games they did, something beyond 'gameplay was good,' but good luck

Yeah I'd be more interested in why people picked the ones they did instead of the ranking (although that's fine). I say make the thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll post on it only bc I don't even remember if i played 10 2018 games and it would be fun to revisit the year

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i haven't even played 5 of the games on my 2018 to-do list yet

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I had to google big 2018 releases before remembering that monster hunter world was one of my favorite games this year. Every year feels like a decade in gaming and there are a half dozen games I still want to play but probably never will due to how many there are

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
:justpost: imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I honestly had to look up whether God of War came out this year

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what even came out this year. oh yeah. celeste and bbxtag.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

hey maybe it's because i poisoned my brain with several years of playing every game on Kongregate, but The Hex was really good

Man, I remember playing and for some reason loving that Elona Shooter game, just went all-in on it for a week

Also Roman Cancel is a really cool name that sticks in your head so it’s Good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

eyyy niko, it's your cancel, roman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Roman Cancel" sounds like the name of a Yoshiyuki Tomino character.

• Locked thread