Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

Kept on data tapes.

Data tapes are still used today. They're great for long-term archiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Number_6 posted:

"Future Police Record Code" ?

I've been waiting for the much anticipated 1967 Star Trek - 1994 Time Cop crossover.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So we're 4 episodes deep into The Orville. It's like 90% awesome, 5% Seth McFarlane making cheap/easy jokes, and 5% cultural references that make very little sense 4-500 years in the future.

I dunno if it's some :thejoke: thing going over my head, but stuff like cannabis edibles, quoting Destiny's Child, etc. are kind of annoying. Other than that I have to admit it's a pretty great show so far.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A few of the bad jokes are deliberate (mostly when they repeat, like MacFarlane's character constantly asking to "open this jar of pickles") but its hard to tell which because stuff like the edibles, the married couple jokes, and the REFERENCES is totally sincere.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I mean, they literally watch some Seinfeld on the show. I think the implication is that Mercer and his pilot friend are just kinda into older stuff.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
INSANE ENABRAIN TAIN

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dudeness posted:

I mean, they literally watch some Seinfeld on the show. I think the implication is that Mercer and his pilot friend are just kinda into older stuff.
Also it's entirely in keeping with the show's mimicry of Star Trek where everyone in the future is all about relaxing with public domain media like watching each other do Shakespeare or play an instrument.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

metasynthetic posted:

INSANE ENABRAIN TAIN

INSANE IN THE ENABRAIN

INSANE IN THE TAAAAANE! :rock:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Also it's entirely in keeping with the show's mimicry of Star Trek where everyone in the future is all about relaxing with public domain media like watching each other do Shakespeare or play an instrument.
tng classical music - bach, mozart, klingon opera

jjtrek classical music - beastie boys

disco classical music - probably advertising jingles

i was thinking the other day that the first time we actually hear klingon opera, it should have just been speed metal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Getting cannabis edibles from the replicator loving rules I'm not sure why you would think that's a bad joke, that's just a good representation of Utopia

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Getting cannabis edibles from the replicator loving rules I'm not sure why you would think that's a bad joke, that's just a good representation of Utopia

Exactly, I first heard that and went "ughh" but then realized that of course you could just spend you free time chilling with some great space brownies even though you're in the space navy, it's literally utopia, after all.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I demand total accuracy in my TV depictions of drug use ok

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I demand total accuracy in my TV depictions of drug use ok

Well she didn't get to use it, they were abducted shortly after she got it out of the replicator

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

dudeness posted:

This honestly makes more sense than the ENT crew only watching black and white monster movies while trying to stop space 9/11

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Danaru posted:

This honestly makes more sense than the ENT crew only watching black and white monster movies while trying to stop space 9/11

That's just how long it took for those respective media to fall into the public domain

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

barbecue at the folks posted:

Exactly, I first heard that and went "ughh" but then realized that of course you could just spend you free time chilling with some great space brownies even though you're in the space navy, it's literally utopia, after all.

Also it's probably the same sort of rules as drinking; Be responsible, and don't do it on-shift or if you're about to go on-shift.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Well she didn't get to use it, they were abducted shortly after she got it out of the replicator

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also it's probably the same sort of rules as drinking; Be responsible, and don't do it on-shift or if you're about to go on-shift.

I'm only half-serious in my criticisms, but if I wanted to be pedantic I would say that "one cannabis edible" is like asking a replicator for "one alcohol." Obviously they're not gonna nerd it up and have her ask for "1 sativa chocolate chip cookie, 200mg" but it kind of seems less like a casual "this is the future and we're finally not retards about soft drugs" and more of a MacFarlane-style juvenile joke, I guess.

As far as the cultural references go, they just seem a little off. Again I'm only a few episodes in, but for whatever reason the Kermit the Frog bit seems more feasible than quoting a 400-year-old pop song as an example of humanity's great literature.

Honestly I'm probably overanalyzing it because of my ingrained dislike of Seth MacFarlane, but I do actually like him a lot on this show. They've got a really great crew set up!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm only half-serious in my criticisms, but if I wanted to be pedantic I would say that "one cannabis edible" is like asking a replicator for "one alcohol." Obviously they're not gonna nerd it up and have her ask for "1 sativa chocolate chip cookie, 200mg" but it kind of seems less like a casual "this is the future and we're finally not retards about soft drugs" and more of a MacFarlane-style juvenile joke, I guess.

As far as the cultural references go, they just seem a little off. Again I'm only a few episodes in, but for whatever reason the Kermit the Frog bit seems more feasible than quoting a 400-year-old pop song as an example of humanity's great literature.

Honestly I'm probably overanalyzing it because of my ingrained dislike of Seth MacFarlane, but I do actually like him a lot on this show. They've got a really great crew set up!

I really love the Kermit the Frog figurine, because it says a lot about how he sees himself as a Captain instead of just being a joke in a vacuum; He's just one average guy trying to keep a cavalcade of madmen focused and on-task through another day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

trek would pussy out and have synth weed that you can shrug off at a moments notice

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bobby Deluxe posted:

trek would pussy out and have synth weed that you can shrug off at a moments notice

I can only imagine trying to figure out if I stopped being stoned or not.

"Ok, I'm good, I'm ready for red alert. Alert. A lert. What's a lert?". *cracks up laughing*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

did we go back to cardassian heat settings again? it feels warm in here. so warm and cozy *attempts to wrap odo around self as blanket*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's a super waste that sometimes odo isn't just a scarf or something. like you see kira walking down the hallway talking to herself and suddenly odo's voice comes from the basketball she's holding. newcomers to the station think she's mental and someone's like "nah that's just the goop person" and no one's sure if that's racist

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i cant stop thinking about chroma key odo in a trash can

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, since in the future humanity realises damaging your liver for the sake of surpressing your your social inhibitions using alcohol isn't Healthy and its actually much better for you to just be a mentally well adjusted person who fucks holograms, I don't see why they wouldn't take the same stance with drugs.

Computer, one kilo of cocaine.

*materialises a kilo of synth coke so you can enjoy snorting white powder up your nose without messing with your brain chemistry*

Man I feel so enlightened.

You humans are so funny, why do you snort that powder?

Its tradition on my home planet for the senior people in charge to snort white powder such as this. However back then it messed with your brain chemistry and could prove addictive or a dependency for some people. This synth coke though is actually full of healthy nutritional matter you absorb via your blood cells.

Wow, you're such an enlightened people.

*Snorts huge line of synth coke off the belly of fellow crewman*

/Picard to Riker, to the Bridge please./

Oops I have to split, we will continue this later.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me that Soylent nutrient shake but in an inhale-able powder pls

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kibayasu posted:

A few of the bad jokes are deliberate (mostly when they repeat, like MacFarlane's character constantly asking to "open this jar of pickles") but its hard to tell which because stuff like the edibles, the married couple jokes, and the REFERENCES is totally sincere.

I thought that it was leading up to a joke later in the first season where he was going to get her to open an actual jar of pickles. I pictured that they were going to happen upon a room with a door and he was going to drop the line again, and she would instinctively open the door, turn around and look at him sort of annoyed, and he'd have a poo poo eating grin and would be holding a jar of pickles that he found. Or she would try opening a jar of pickles and not be able to open it because "lol she's super strong, but is still a woman and needs a man to open it".

mods changed my name posted:

i cant stop thinking about chroma key odo in a trash can

Same. I now consider my life incomplete until I have seen this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blistex posted:

Same. I now consider my life incomplete until I have seen this.

*Grunts gruffly"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You're right, it is clunky in places. It gets less clunky as they find their groove, but still has seth-moments. People still recommend it because overall the good far outweighs the bad, and it's not the Family Guy in Space we were all dreading.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly aside from some of the cultural references, I really have nothing bad to say about it. It's a great show, and MacFarlane's sheer earnestness outweighs the fact that he's cemented in my brain as Brian the dog.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly aside from some of the cultural references, I really have nothing bad to say about it. It's a great show, and MacFarlane's sheer earnestness outweighs the fact that he's cemented in my brain as Brian the dog.

Mercer is Brian the dog too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You mean the main character, played by Seth MacFarlane?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You mean the main character, played by Seth MacFarlane?

Yes. Mercer is literally Brian the Dog.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Mirror Voq is a pretty stand up dude I have to say.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

damnit potatoes goes to jail episode, stop it with the unexpected feels

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Let me rephrase:. Mercer is not Brian because they are both played by MacFarlane. There is practically nothing distinguishing them in my view at all outside of the fact that Mercer is not a cartoon dog. It's almost like Seth can't really perform another character besides "sensible try hard"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brian's a completely different character, he's a self obsessed hypocrite and coward.

Mercer is fairly humble and brave, they are polar opposites in characterization.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

damnit potatoes goes to jail episode, stop it with the unexpected feels

He loved that blue man and he killed him for bread

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Brian's a completely different character, he's a self obsessed hypocrite and coward.

Mercer is fairly humble and brave, they are polar opposites in characterization.

But you see their voices

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

He loved that blue man and he killed him for bread

This is why when you are in a relationship you do not keep secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well it's been a while since I've seen Family Guy so I might be drawing more parallels than is there, but they both strike me as awkward in similar fashion, with crappy jokes that fall flat, believing himself capable of more than he is, and having a terrible propensity to offend the person trying to help them.