Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Private stash wasn’t about his mustache and you know it. It was about the devil weed, weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Golden Bee posted:

Private stash wasn’t about his mustache and you know it. It was about the devil weed, weed.
Private Stash was about reefer, Major Stash was supposed to be about the mustache he didn't have. Or maybe not, the single extant clip I can find of him in the role involves him talking about having a lot of "stuff" and laughing stupidly.

This is not to be confused with Buzzkill the stoner character they gave Brad Armstrong to make fun of his more successful brother Road Dogg, or K-K-K-K-KRONIK, the weed-themed tag team featuring the two least-stonery dudes in the world. Basically Vince Russo wanted a weed character really bad but may not have had any idea what weed was. Thankfully Juggalo Championshit Wrestling came along quickly enough and got it right with the Weedman, a wrestler named after weed who loved weed and smoked weed during matches.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 26, 2018

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When it comes to other books about WCW and cheap gimmicks, R.D Reynolds had a great website in the early days of the internet. (WrestleCrap.)
He released two books on the subject, and I believe still does podcasts and a YouTube channel.

The other book on the death of WWF from the early 2000's is Scott Keith's "Wrrstling's One Ring Circus."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

This is not to be confused with Buzzkill the stoner character they gave Brad Armstrong to make fun of his more successful brother Road Dogg, or K-K-K-K-KRONIK, the weed-themed tag team featuring the two least-stonery dudes in the world. Basically Vince Russo wanted a weed character really bad but may not have had any idea what weed was. Thankfully Juggalo Championshit Wrestling came along quickly enough and got it right with the Weedman, a wrestler named after weed who loved weed and smoked weed during matches.

Poor Brad. He had many talents in the ring, but trying to pull off a wacky character was not one of them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

They were both running newsletters throughout that period; Meltzer is probably the best connected and knowledgeable US wrestling guy out there, though his newsletter is like 30,000 self-edited words a week and he definitely has his tics. Alvarez is a trained wrestler and his earlier stuff is sometimes less pure journalism and more opinions/ranting/stuff explicitly influenced by Hunter S. Thompson and "gonzo" journalism. They've also interviewed pretty much everyone involved with that time period repeatedly in the podcast archive, and Alvarez and his friends have been doing a week-by-week rewatch of Raw/Nitro for the past few years, currently up to November 1999.
Well, Meltzer wrote in a fanzinish style in the Observer's early years, so it's natural that Alvarez is essentially a forums poster made good.

Pondex posted:

Can anyone recommend some good newer graphic novels about, I guess, contemporary issues?

I've read Joe Sacco's Palestine and Sarajevo-books and Sarah Gliddens How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, and I'm reading Nick Drsanos "Sabrina" right now.

This kind of mix of long, journalistic essay with some fiction is doing it for me right now.
It's not about recent events but you should probably read The Red Virgin and the Vision of Utopia if this kind of thing is your bag, baby

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 26, 2018

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Mar-Vell was actually a Captain in the Kree Space Fleet, but Carol Danvers is/was actually a colonel in the Air Force, which is several ranks higher than Captain. Monica Rambeau was a lieutenant, though maybe she got bumped up a rank when she became a superhero. I don't think most of the other Captains were ever involved with the military or law enforcement.
If the Kree Space Fleet works like the US Navy (I feel like a lot space stuff does) a Naval Captain is actually equivalent (both O-6) is equivalent to a Marine/AF/Army Colonel. Of course Kree ranks probably work totally different.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

When it comes to other books about WCW and cheap gimmicks, R.D Reynolds had a great website in the early days of the internet. (WrestleCrap.)
He released two books on the subject, and I believe still does podcasts and a YouTube channel.

The other book on the death of WWF from the early 2000's is Scott Keith's "Wrrstling's One Ring Circus."

Do not read nothing by Scott Keith

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carol Danvers was upgraded to Colonel upon retirement. Her rank while active was Major.

There's probably some functional difference there when she's working with other current or ex military characters. But as a Major she outranked basically any character who isn't a General or Nick Fury anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 26, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just bought a house that has more room than I know what to do with, and I was thinking of setting up a "Comic wall" in my office where I can put some of my favorites like the comic shops. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to set that up? I have a few graded books, and a few ungraded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I just bought a house that has more room than I know what to do with, and I was thinking of setting up a "Comic wall" in my office where I can put some of my favorites like the comic shops. Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to set that up? I have a few graded books, and a few ungraded.

What's up fellow new home owner! I too am struggling with how to display my fandomy stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

What's up fellow new home owner! I too am struggling with how to display my fandomy stuff.

I had a tiny hobbit house, now I went overboard and bought a house that is far too large. I figure the logical thing to do is to finally fall in love and have a family, but I'll settle for displaying my comics and toys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I had a tiny hobbit house, now I went overboard and bought a house that is far too large. I figure the logical thing to do is to finally fall in love and have a family, but I'll settle for displaying my comics and toys.

Well I have a wife but kids are for the birds so way more room to display my stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Medullah posted:

Depending on what you want and how you want to present, you could frame the comics like you would almost any other picture, but since they are thicker, you may have to look at custom framing.

I did just have a thought - Depending on how many you have to put up and how sealed they are, maybe put up magnetic paint (just has iron mixed into the paint) on the walls, and then slide one or two thin magnets into the mylar behind the backer board. That way they would basically be flat against the wall, no framing needed. Also, the thin magnets would be fairly weak, maybe just enough to hold a comic to the wall. On the plus side, less likely to have to wrench something off the wall and possibly mar or tear.

I've heard mixed results with the magnetic paint. Depending on the results you want you might be able to mount some thin metal sheets to the wall and still use magnets in the bags.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
These seem cool, but would get expensive fast. (there are cheaper non UV ones)

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-showcase-current-uv

I'd look at putting up small 1“ shelves and rest the comics on them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Put up some wood lath strips (painted to match your decor) and mount the comics on them with velcro picture-hanging strips.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
does anyone remember a little known webcomic featuring the Morrison/Austen era X-Men rendered as 8-bit sprites? I cannot find any trace of it on my google searches

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They make frames for comics, even slabbed ones, but since they're made by comic collectors and not people who actually makes frames they're usually pretty ugly.

As you can see above.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Knives Amilli posted:

does anyone remember a little known webcomic featuring the Morrison/Austen era X-Men rendered as 8-bit sprites? I cannot find any trace of it on my google searches

I think you'll need to be more specific. There was a solid decade where every other jerk on the internet was making a sprite comic using lifted IP.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I noticed in Penguin: pain and prejudice that they gave him a blind girlfriend to show off how tormented/ugly he is. I know there’s a semi layer situation with Nora Freeze and Vanessa Fisk, but do you female villains ever get the token innocent humanizing boyfriend?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Was that the same mini series where the first issue had him enact sordid super complicated TORTURE REVENGE on one of his employee's friends and families and neighbors as an object lesson for his employee to not accidentally elbow him in a crowded club?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Was that the same mini series where the first issue had him enact sordid super complicated TORTURE REVENGE on one of his employee's friends and families and neighbors as an object lesson for his employee to not accidentally elbow him in a crowded club?

I didn't read the comic but yes. Yes it is. I think it was over a few pages how he talks about destroying some rando' family and friends.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Golden Bee posted:

I noticed in Penguin: pain and prejudice that they gave him a blind girlfriend to show off how tormented/ugly he is. I know there’s a semi layer situation with Nora Freeze and Vanessa Fisk, but do you female villains ever get the token innocent humanizing boyfriend?

It's interesting, I can't think of a female hero that has a love interest that isn't either A) a woman or B) a male super. And the list for female villains is basically the same. Either that or the answer is C) Nobody. Someone can prove me wrong, but I can't think of a single female (hero or villain) character who is slumming it with Ted in accounting.

I could think of someone like the Baroness or Madame Hydra grabbing some nobody for a quickie and summary execution, but I think by and large they want to treat those characters as somehow being beyond the need for companionship. Like how can you be an effective villain and truly love someone else?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

CzarChasm posted:

It's interesting, I can't think of a female hero that has a love interest that isn't either A) a woman or B) a male super. And the list for female villains is basically the same. Either that or the answer is C) Nobody. Someone can prove me wrong, but I can't think of a single female (hero or villain) character who is slumming it with Ted in accounting.

I could think of someone like the Baroness or Madame Hydra grabbing some nobody for a quickie and summary execution, but I think by and large they want to treat those characters as somehow being beyond the need for companionship. Like how can you be an effective villain and truly love someone else?

Kitty Pryde sort of had an awkward flirtation with Doug Ramsey back when he was just some kid she knew, before it was decided that he had appeared in too many panels to not be a mutant or whatever, but I think that barely accounts, which is perhaps pretty damning on its own.

I have a hunch the unconscious reasoning-- especially in earlier eras-- was an unspoken sense that if a male hero had a hetero partner he was hiding his hero life from, he was just keeping her safe from his world of outsized troubles and woes, whereas if a female hero had a boyfriend or husband who wasn't aware of and active in her heroing life, he "wasn't really a man." If comics had fits and starts of progressive impulses in terms of giving superheroic women agency, they weren't quite so good at actually interrogating received assumptions about masculinity-- see the push-and-pull between writers through the 90s about just how powerful Sue Storm was allowed to be in compared to **~~the boys~~**.

Edit: Oh! Terry Long! A pretty bad character for a lot of reasons (oh neat, a college professor dating his student, how novel and fine), but again, I feel like a lot of reflexive fan-hate for him stemmed from his not being a super-powered hero and acting as the more passive person in his relationship with Donna Troy.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 2, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not sure if it counts since it was an alt universe mini, but i read the gruenwald squadron supreme last week and both arcanna and power princess are married to non-super men

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Anissa, the Viltrumite who rapes Mark in Invincible, eventually marries a guy from Earth and apologizes for her actions.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Does Steve Trevor count as non-super?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Steve Trevor count? He's not quite "Ted in accounting" but also not a super as far as I know.

E: Goddammit

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If he does, then I suppose Wyatt Wingfoot counts too, for She-Hulk. I've never read the 70s Spider-Woman and Carol Danvers titles but I'm curious how they handled the soap elements.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

If he does, then I suppose Wyatt Wingfoot counts too, for She-Hulk. I've never read the 70s Spider-Woman and Carol Danvers titles but I'm curious how they handled the soap elements.

Not familiar with Ms. Marvel, but from what I remember, I doubt Spider-Woman had any romantic partners in the 70s comics. Back then, it was part of her character that people found her creepy and off-putting because she was part spider (thanks to High Evolutionary-aided fuckery) and because she'd been isolated for so long that she had no social skills.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of Ms. Marvel didn't Kamala have a couple non-powered interests? It's been a bit since I've read it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of Ms. Marvel didn't Kamala have a couple non-powered interests? It's been a bit since I've read it.

Sort of. She had a low-key love triangle, more like a crush-triangle really, between her high-school friend Bruno (who to be fair is a comics-style super-genius) and a non-powered vigilante superhero named Red Dagger.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Depends on your definition, bruno is a bottom tier super genius and red dagger is a hero but i dont think he actually has powers iirc

Efb

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Was John Jameson powered when he was with She-Hulk? I dont remember. I know Carol Danvers had that guy that Mystique killed. He’d been around a while. Also who can forget Mighty Bill Cobb who was with Kelda of Asgard?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CzarChasm posted:

Jessica Drew and Roger Gocking? Sure he isn't Ted from accounting, but being the Porcupine isn't that much of a step up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Jameson was powered pretty early on but I don't know anything about his time with She-Hulk so maybe his powers were dormant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduchess posted:

Edit: Oh! Terry Long! A pretty bad character for a lot of reasons (oh neat, a college professor dating his student, how novel and fine), but again, I feel like a lot of reflexive fan-hate for him stemmed from his not being a super-powered hero and acting as the more passive person in his relationship with Donna Troy.

Didn't Terry Long also look suspiciously similar to what Marv Wolfman looked like in 1982?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Selachian posted:

Not familiar with Ms. Marvel, but from what I remember, I doubt Spider-Woman had any romantic partners in the 70s comics. Back then, it was part of her character that people found her creepy and off-putting because she was part spider (thanks to High Evolutionary-aided fuckery) and because she'd been isolated for so long that she had no social skills.

I have a couple issues of Ms. Marvel from that period and she dated a generic guy whose name I don't remember. She also hung out with a black couple she'd gone to school with and at one point she greets the husband by basically making out and they joke that they hope it's driving his wife nuts. I think the implication was that she partook in swinging but because it's the 70's, they can't just flat out say it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Terry Long also look suspiciously similar to what Marv Wolfman looked like in 1982?

Absolutely. Long was 100% Wolfman's self insert character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

These are all cool examples, but none of these are supervillains. Are they all supposed to be hot evil ladies the hero can eventually turn around?

I think it’s just people ripping off the Phantom of the opera. ‘He’s physically monstrous, who could ever love him despite his ongoing murders?!?’