Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

I'm arguing specifically the kind we have now are bad because they're not so much a measure of skill or competence, and more act as a gateway to a profession and are anti-consumer and anti-poor/minority. The hair dresser thing is low hanging fruit, here is another example: in most states, to get a license to BRAID hair, you have to prove your competency in (no joke) dressing hair from a prescribed list of 1950s styles. These laws are especially prevalent in the south. The law profession is just one of the most egregious and is steeped in the guild system -- the death of the tradeskill/apprenticeship learning path in favor of licensing should tell you something is very wrong.

becoming a lawyer is not all that hard, for a profession where theoretically what you're selling is your knowledge. there's a significant glut of lawyers. practically speaking, what the bar exam does is protect state lawyers from outside competition (e.g. making it hard for lawyers to practice in Florida or Delaware)

the main problem with law is the sheer number of terrible, terrible law schools where the students have basically a one in a hundred chance, if that, of landing a job that's gonna pay off their student loans, based on the impression people have that all lawyers make the big bucks, which is not true (if you graduate from med school you're basically guaranteed a job; if you graduate from law school unless you are at the very top of your class or are at a very top school you are not at all guaranteed a job)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

So is there any legal way to actually punish Facebook for all this stuff? Short of Anti-trust laws?

search your heart, you know the answer to this.

Like yea I'm sure you COULD dig up a case on something but no nothing that matters can be brought up

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kimsemus posted:

I'm arguing specifically the kind we have now are bad because they're not so much a measure of skill or competence, and more act as a gateway to a profession and are anti-consumer and anti-poor/minority. The hair dresser thing is low hanging fruit, here is another example: in most states, to get a license to BRAID hair, you have to prove your competency in (no joke) dressing hair from a prescribed list of 1950s styles, none of which involved braided hair. These laws are especially prevalent in the south. The law profession is just one of the most egregious and is steeped in the guild system -- the death of the tradeskill/apprenticeship learning path in favor of licensing should tell you something is very wrong. I only yammer about the bar because I had to go through it, watching most of my colleagues struggle with debt because they couldn't work f/t during school as mandated by the ABA, or other friends who flat out couldnt go because they couldn't afford to not work. Exactly by design.

I mean, ok, I find this compelling to be honest.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

I only yammer about the bar because I had to go through it, watching most of my colleagues struggle with debt because they couldn't work f/t during school as mandated by the ABA, or other friends who flat out couldnt go because they couldn't afford to not work. Exactly by design.

i dunno what your friends told you, but the bolded part is not true. there's night law schools, i know someone who got a law degree while working full-time. iirc it usually takes four years instead of three.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

what hosting is gab using now, like they were booted from sveral.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
1600 hours isnt even a year of full time training so I cant say I would support a doctor with that amount.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

i dunno what your friends told you, but the bolded part is not true. there's night law schools, i know someone who got a law degree while working full-time. iirc it usually takes four years instead of three.

Depends entirely on the state bar. This is NOT the case in most states, and most states are recalcitrant to even try and get new law schools. (Even the school can set this rule if the state bar does not)

What I'm pushing back on is that licensing these days is usually a politically backed, lobbied, anti-competitive gambit of bullshit that serves neither the person being licensed (other than keeping poors, minorities, and undesirable competition out of their profession) and CERTAINLY does nothing for the consumer paying artificially inflated prices.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TulliusCicero posted:

So is there any legal way to actually punish Facebook for all this stuff?

Yes, we could enfo

quote:

Short of Anti-trust laws?

oh nm

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, ok, I find this compelling to be honest.

My stupid former roommate quit her job to go to school for months on end to get a cosmetology degree that ended up being an enormous pay cut when all was said and done.

The dumbest part is that it's a skill almost anyone could learn with a week or two of training, and she even says that now

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 27, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
license based systems are bad. I'm currently about to enter education to become a funeral director and oh hey look the license system is entirely built to funnel money to like, two major brands of both education and employment and provides nothing for some kinda safety measure that can't be gained through the normal apprenticeship process under a system with strong consumer and worker protections! I'm working with a dude right now who literally had to pay for school, licensing, and all that and then had to do apprentice stuff anyway because that's just how the business works if you're not inheriting a family mortuary or whatever. It's literally just the state (with fifty bespoke and unique standards so god help you if you move like I probably will be soon) making you dump your money and time in a pit before you're allowed to do things the way they should be anyway.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sexpig by night posted:

I'm currently about to enter education to become a funeral director

:allears: You should start an A/T thread imo.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

My stupid former roommate quit her job to go to school for months on end to get a cosmetology degree that ended up being an enormous pay cut when all was said and done.

The dumbest part is that it's a skill almost anyone could learn with a week or two of training, and she even says that now

I knew a girl in high school who ended up going for cosmetology and it was a big song and dance for stuff she already knew how to do.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

PhazonLink posted:

what hosting is gab using now, like they were booted from sveral.

Some 'free speech' rear end in a top hat named Rob Monster

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Get the Walrus off the stage, I want the Carpenter's opinions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Depends entirely on the state bar. This is NOT the case in most states, and most states are recalcitrant to even try and get new law schools.

the gently caress you talking about, tons of new law schools opened in the past 20 years because lovely law schools are cash cows for universities (because all it takes to open a law school is a classroom, which is cheap, and a few professors, who aren't that expensive and tons of lawyers would like to be a law professor instead at any school that will take them) and those have only recently started closing down as word got out that a law degree is not an instant ticket to a 100k job if it's not a good school.

and if a state bar bans graduates of night schools from taking the bar that's not an ABA thing, that'd be a state law on licencing lawyers, but i've never heard of anything other than a requirement to graduate from an aba-accredited law school and there are aba accredited schools that run night school and alternative programs like that. they can't go below three years, but they can exceed three years.

i don't have a problem with your basic argument about loosening licencing restrictions where they're not needed but all of the stuff you're saying about law is just oddly wrong.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I mean, lol at Republicans ever enforcing an anti trust law against a company that goes to bat for them.

I would love to see Zuckerberg and Facebook blow up like the Hindenberg for this, but with our own senate minority leader in the tank it ain't happening

Seriously, gently caress Chuck

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

A few tweets and some Hill clickbait don't equate to "staying in the media". By Hillary standards she's been practically invisible.

If it's impossible to tell whether a political dynasty stadium tour is just more grift to cash out, or prepping for another run at the White House, or possibly both, then you have enormous problems both within and without that political dynasty.

https://www.vividseats.com/blog/bill-hillary-clinton-tour-dates

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

I knew a girl in high school who ended up going for cosmetology and it was a big song and dance for stuff she already knew how to do.

There's probably some value in, like, two weeks of basic sanitation and safety training

past that yeah scam, we can agree with the libertarians here

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Kobayashi posted:

They’ll take advantage of the “blue no matter who” idiots and run as Democrats.

Blue no matter who is only a strategy until the current iteration of the Republican party is relegated to the dustbin of history. If the Democrats become the party of evil and whatever comes next after the current Republican party is vanquished is the better choice then the strategy would change.

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao we're extremely doomed to global warming and nobody is even mad about it.

Oh plenty of people are mad about it. It's just not the people who have any actual power to do anything about it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Skex posted:

Blue no matter who is only a strategy until the current iteration of the Republican party is relegated to the dustbin of history.

"You see, our playbook? We base it entirely on what the other guys do. Pure defense, no offense. It's the way to win this thing, for sure."

STOP LETTING THE ASSHOLES SET YOUR AGENDA. THAT IS A LOSER'S GAME.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The man made some tweets

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1067494775819882496
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1067494810343206912

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

They’ll take advantage of the “blue no matter who” idiots and run as Democrats.

reminder: primary elections exist

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So President Goodbrains' response to GM shuttering a bunch of plants and laying off thousands of people is to scream, cry, stamp his feet and go "SO UNFAIR!!!!"?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sexpig by night posted:

license based systems are bad. I'm currently about to enter education to become a funeral director and oh hey look the license system is entirely built to funnel money to like, two major brands of both education and employment and provides nothing for some kinda safety measure that can't be gained through the normal apprenticeship process under a system with strong consumer and worker protections! I'm working with a dude right now who literally had to pay for school, licensing, and all that and then had to do apprentice stuff anyway because that's just how the business works if you're not inheriting a family mortuary or whatever. It's literally just the state (with fifty bespoke and unique standards so god help you if you move like I probably will be soon) making you dump your money and time in a pit before you're allowed to do things the way they should be anyway.

Do you feel the same way about, say, the medical profession?

I agree that a lot of licensing requirements are extortionate bullshit, but I don't like the idea of some professions not having some kind of licensing requirement .

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

reminder: primary elections exist

Democratic voters have made it clear that they're perfectly willing to elect poo poo tier Democrats like Donnelly in primaries.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maybe its just me, but has anyone else noticed (with few exceptions) that the more terrible, CHUD'ier people on Facebook have generally shut the gently caress up about politics? As recently as a year ago my feed was littered with MAGA poo poo and "lol liberals", and now nothing. Just family stuff, food videos, sappy inspirational crap, and humor. No politics. Its as if they now know at some deep lizard brain level that they voted for poo poo and are deeply ashamed (but come election day they will angrily vote for the racist because its too hard to admit you had and still have terrible political opinions).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

On one hand, I could see juries returning "not guilty on the basis of not deporting someone for loitering" verdicts. On the other, God help you if you're facing a jury of MAGA chuds.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So President Goodbrains' response to GM shuttering a bunch of plants and laying off thousands of people is to scream, cry, stamp his feet and go "SO UNFAIR!!!!"?

No he's literally threatening them

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rigel posted:

Maybe its just me, but has anyone else noticed (with few exceptions) that the more terrible, CHUD'ier people on Facebook have generally shut the gently caress up about politics? As recently as a year ago my feed was littered with MAGA poo poo and "lol liberals", and now nothing. Just family stuff, food videos, sappy inspirational crap, and humor. No politics. Its as if they now know at some deep lizard brain level that they voted for poo poo and are deeply ashamed (but come election day they will angrily vote for the racist because its too hard to admit you had and still have terrible political opinions).

I think this is a very anecdotal frame of reference and there's no way to make a meaningful statement based on this kind of evidence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1067483716153421827

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's his response to pretty much any bad news, why change now?

Also, good lord John Bolton is a dick:

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1067493743484436480

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Brony Car posted:

I agree that a lot of licensing requirements are extortionate bullshit, but I don't like the idea of some professions not having some kind of licensing requirement .

Think about what gears the license and what the license is motivated by. Is it to test competency, or does it have baked in requirements that are prejudicial/anti-competitive?

As for Evilweasel's comments, I can only say what has happened in my state, which has actually closed law schools, and has had very few respected schools to begin with. The bar here really is anti-competitive with its practices, such as the work requirement. Fed can't touch it because they say it's a state licensing issue though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GM wanting to leave US because it's cheaper and easier
Trump pleads for them to stay
Trump starts trade war to make things hard again
GM starts leaving
Trump has meltdown, blames everyone but himself

Yeah, this pattern is pretty normal

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it possible to pass the bar without going to law school

Self-study and all that

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nowhere for it to really go-- New York is extraordinarily dumb in having the New York Supreme Court be the trial court level. What the other states call the supreme court, the court of final appeal, is the Court of Appeals, who made this ruling. Unless there's an appeal to SCOTUS to take a swing at this once more, it's done, and it'll apply throughout New York from here on out.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Yeah licensing is stupid and onerous when it's for things like cosmetology but when it literally means the difference between life or death for some professions, it's a Good Thing as long as it's done properly. Becoming a Professional Engineer that can actually sign off on things is a long process (and the process is imperfect in some ways), but I wouldn't say just eliminate it. Same thing with doctors/surgeons/pharmacists. Even commercial driver's licenses are a good idea as long as they're done correctly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

:allears: You should start an A/T thread imo.

Here's a fun trivia bit: the organization that handles funeral service examinations is called The Conference. I don't understand why they picked a name for their group that is so loving ominous, but

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it possible to pass the bar without going to law school

Self-study and all that

In California, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington state, you can still take the bar exam without going to law school, although you must apprentice with an attorney for some time before they'll let you be one on your own.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rigel posted:

I haven't noticed because I stopped toxic family members crap from showing on my feed.

Although I have heard of one saying they are taking a break from posting/reading it so much

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anti-licensing lolbertarians love talking about hair braiding and cosmetology but hate talking about Civil Engineering, medicine, and building/contracting. I don't think you're going to find anyone who disagrees that the hair braiding thing is bullshit but they never stop there. It moves on to "and it's too hard to become a lawyer!" and just becomes self-parody. See also: the collected works of Shoshanna Weissman.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rigel posted:

Probably all shifted to youtube where they circle the wagons around morons that make vids like "Ben Shapiro is actually a genius" or coming up with excuses why Trump leaving an umbrella entering AF1 or skipping the WWI memorial is really cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

TheScott2K posted:

Anti-licensing lolbertarians love talking about hair braiding and cosmetology but hate talking about Civil Engineering, medicine, and building/contracting. I don't think you're going to find anyone who disagrees that the hair braiding thing is bullshit but they never stop there. It moves on to "and it's too hard to become a lawyer!" and just becomes self-parody. See also: the collected works of Shoshanna Weissman.

I've never said it's too hard to become a lawyer -- I'm saying it's too hard for some specific people groups to become lawyers because they are discriminated against.

so it's actually the opposite of a libertarian argument.