Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Brony Car posted:

I have mixed feelings about this kind of retaliation when it's done in response to layoff announcements. I bet it plays well with a lot of voters too.

I'm interested in you expounding on this. I don't understand the markets and I don't know what the corrections are for layoffs/facility closures.

I also don't know if it's proper or not for Trump to threaten government action against a private company for that stuff. Doesn't seem cool to me, at least on the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There are a lot of skilled trades that should require licensing if they don't already tbh. The apprenticeship system works just as well, but you need *something* or you end up with electrical wiring that looks like a surrealist painting.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I'm interested in you expounding on this. I don't understand the markets and I don't know what the corrections are for layoffs/facility closures.

I also don't know if it's proper or not for Trump to threaten government action against a private company for that stuff. Doesn't seem cool to me, at least on the surface.

I guess it depends on the reason. If they were going "thanks for the subsidies, gonna go make cars in Canada now" as they walked out the door it would be justifiable. But if they are losing their subsidies because they aren't willing to operate at a loss (or whatever passes for a loss with these incredibly top heavy companies) then it's totally insane.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 27, 2018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Read the thread of the tweet. All clear, no actual evidence of shots fired.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Lightning Knight posted:

If it's not under threat of perma then he'll just pay the 10 dollars instead of writing the paper! :colbert:

i feel like you can't upgrade someone's toxx to a permatoxx without their consent

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/ClohertyWTOP/status/1067503676993011712

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

More or less onerous than opening a dispensary?
It takes thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours less to become a tattoo artist than it does a hair dresser; you must take an online bloodborne pathogen test, have somewhere to work, and then pay $25.
Plus, you don't have to tattoo anything in front of a panel of judges to prove aptitude.
In some of the sprawl cities, you don't even need a lisence. Just passing a bbp test and having that certification is enough to rock and roll.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

evilweasel posted:

ok, as long as this is only about the 2020 iowa caucuses, because otherwise you can never lose because she could be a declared candidate in 2024 :v:

what have you done

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CuddleCryptid posted:

There are a lot of skilled trades that should require licensing if they don't already tbh. The apprenticeship system works just as well, but you need *something* or you end up with electrical wiring that looks like a surrealist painting.

Followed by a burned-down house or workplace full of people. Lowest-bidder contracting would absolutely lead to massive, deadly consequences if suddenly everyone could declare that they're an electrician, or a contractor, or an AC technician, or or or

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Is Walter Reed like most other VA hospitals where you go thrift medal detectors to get in unless you arrive by EMS?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

on the other hand you have unlicensed interior decorators like the goon who cut load bearing beams in his house so he could install a bathtub

An interior decorator shouldn't be cutting beams or knocking out walls or doing anything physically to the structure of a building. That's well outside their wheelhouse, licensed or no. That moron was playing at being a lot of things he didn't understand, not just design.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Well let's not play coy, the Democratic Party is already seeing Republicans flipped to Democrat running and winning primaries and that's not a good thing because it pushes the party right. Most prominently there was that Florida guy in 2016, I think he lost to Rubio?

You may see some of that as the parties are currently going through a realignment. Unfortunately like 95% of the prominent Republicans who are defecting are neocons, who for some bizare reason are apparently the only former republicans who actually had principles instead of just accepting the Trump yoke, so there's not going to be a lot of good ones. But it's not like people didn't know Charlie Christ was a former republican, he was the former governor of Florida and got pushed out of the party for apostasy prior to the rise of Trump. "In 2018 there was also Painter or whatever his name was, who was a never-trump republican and ran in I want to say Minnesota in the Democratic primary and got utterly crushed.

I am not telling you that democratic primaries always produce the best candidate. I am telling you that the idea that you should always vote for the Democrat over the Republican in the general election isn't going to be causing some plague of former republicans running to get the Democratic nomination to take advantage of those folks. Because your problem is figuring out why they won the primary and the solution is fixing that. The solution is not supporting the people running as Republicans explicitly or implicitly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

anime was right posted:

anyone who supports manchin is a nazi supporter

Li Zhou
Do you think the Senate needs to respond to the use of tear gas on children at the border?

Joe Manchin
They shouldn’t be bringing their children to the border when they know they can’t get in.

anime was right posted:

half this thread is complicit for nazi-tier crimes. retire. ban yourselves.

anime was right posted:

anyone who defended manchin itt is a pro-rape pro-nazi piece of poo poo

tell us how you really feel

Lightning Knight posted:

Well let's not play coy, the Democratic Party is already seeing Republicans flipped to Democrat running and winning primaries and that's not a good thing because it pushes the party right. Most prominently there was that Florida guy in 2016, I think he lost to Rubio?

If that's a problem with the electorate, progressives are in real trouble.

obviously the solution is a revolutionary vanguard party that knows better than the dumb voting sheeple and can drag them into enlightenment, i nominate myself for state treasurer

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sudo rm -rf posted:

i feel like you can't upgrade someone's toxx to a permatoxx without their consent

I mean truth be told if evilweasel declines to participate I’m willing to accept that since he toxxed, as long as he understands I will mock him for it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

on the other hand you have unlicensed interior decorators like the goon who cut load bearing beams in his house so he could install a bathtub

I will never believe that groverhaus was anything other than performance art

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

exploded mummy posted:

Minor point but that guy actually went and got himself licensed as a home inspector so he could approve his changes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

An interior decorator shouldn't be cutting beams or knocking out walls or doing anything physically to the structure of a building. That's well outside their wheelhouse, licensed or no. That moron was playing at being a lot of things he didn't understand, not just design.

and that why you require them to get a license so they are forced to assume liability for stupid poo poo they do

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If that's a problem with the electorate, progressives are in real trouble.

obviously the solution is a revolutionary vanguard party that knows better than the dumb voting sheeple and can drag them into enlightenment, i nominate myself for state treasurer

The electorate was raised and socialized in a society that propagates reactionary and lovely ideas so the fact that the electorate is poo poo is entirely unsurprising. Even then the electorate often polls to the left of most of elected officials.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

I will never believe that groverhaus was anything other than performance art

this wasnt groverhaus

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

"Former" Republicans running as Democrats and winning primaries so far remains a pretty rare thing and it's the moderate Republicans doing it for the most part. I'm not aware of any Tea-Party Freedom Caucus types running on the Democratic ticket and making it to the general, which seems to be the issue in contention here.

The biggest problem with Democratic primaries is Democratic party interference in them by far - the fuckery is coming from inside the house.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sudo rm -rf posted:

what have you done

By 2024 she will be running for Skeleton Queen

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Yesterday, GM's stock went up 7% because Barra's reorganization plan looked set to increase the company's profitability and better position the company for the future. Wall Street is annoying in that they only care about share value, so measures with massive human consequences, like big layoffs or pension benefit reductions or outsourcing, will often lead to share prices increasing and executives being rewarded for screwing over workers.

The stock dip that you saw in that graph happened because Trump said that he would retaliate against GM's layoffs by killing GM's government subsidies.

On one hand, this is arguably bad faith political theater on Trump's part and GM won't be punished in the long term for these layoffs. Also, like you said, companies often have unpleasant business choices to make and they cannot make everyone happy.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a President making a corporation and the shareholder class feel some monetary pain for the consequences they pushed off on to the rest of society. It might help corporate executives and consultants stop going on autopilot and resorting to layoffs as their first option for restoring profitability.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

The electorate was raised and socialized in a society that propagates reactionary and lovely ideas so the fact that the electorate is poo poo is entirely unsurprising. Even then the electorate often polls to the left of most of elected officials.

to be fair most of the problem with the florida electorate is the people who were raised and socialized in a society infused with aerosolized lead

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

i'm actually solidly in the "run progressives, support progressives, get progressives in your local and state parties" camp

i'm optimistic about the electorate liking progressive policies as long as they're highly visible and not overly complicated

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

to be fair most of the problem with the florida electorate is the people who were raised and socialized in a society infused with aerosolized lead

It is astonishing how common and pervasive lead poisoning is in this country.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Read the thread of the tweet. All clear, no actual evidence of shots fired.

That tweet links to a 2015 story. Other people are confirming that yes there is a shooter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/cyberwitchlexi/status/1067498796379250695

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Drug lords and robber barons if the mansions on barrier islands in Florida are any indication. People who are too rich to care

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Ok, for some reason that one seems waaaay stupider than his usual poo poo.

Usually I shrug and say, "eh, he dumb." But man, that's some primo stupid there.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Brony Car posted:

Yesterday, GM's stock went up 7% because Barra's reorganization plan looked set to increase the company's profitability and better position the company for the future. Wall Street is annoying in that they only care about share value, so measures with massive human consequences, like big layoffs or pension benefit reductions or outsourcing, will often lead to share prices increasing and executives being rewarded for screwing over workers.

The stock dip that you saw in that graph happened because Trump said that he would retaliate against GM's layoffs by killing GM's government subsidies.

On one hand, this is arguably bad faith political theater on Trump's part and GM won't be punished in the long term for these layoffs. Also, like you said, companies often have unpleasant business choices to make and they cannot make everyone happy.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a President making a corporation and the shareholder class feel some monetary pain for the consequences they pushed off on to the rest of society. It might help corporate executives and consultants stop going on autopilot and resorting to layoffs as their first option for restoring profitability.

Thanks for the response! Makes sense to me on both sides. And I certainly agree that it would probably play well with a lot of the voting public.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

It is astonishing how common and pervasive lead poisoning is in this country.

Lead poisoning was rampant in the Roman Empire too. We really do end up becoming who we emulate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So has Jim "The Accoster" Acosta been allowed back to the press briefings yet?

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

anyone who supports manchin is a nazi supporter

Li Zhou
Do you think the Senate needs to respond to the use of tear gas on children at the border?

Joe Manchin
They shouldn’t be bringing their children to the border when they know they can’t get in.

Sidda
Oct 14, 2012

anime was right posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So has Jim "The Accoster" Acosta been allowed back to the press briefings yet?

yup he asked questions today

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

Drug lords and robber barons if the mansions on barrier islands in Florida are any indication. People who are too rich to care

I live in South Florida and my wife works for an ad agency down here. One of their clients is a company that will do an assessment on your waterfront property and give an estimate of when you can start expecting regular flooding from sea level rise so that you know when you have to sell your property by. But the real kicker is that since many of their customers are climate change deniers the company gave specific instructions that none of the advertising could have any references to global warming or climate change.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

All those people they're gassing are still across the border in Mexico, right? How is that even allowed? Why isn't the Mexican military pushing back on the US launching gas over the border?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

I live in South Florida and my wife works for an ad agency down here. One of their clients is a company that will do an assessment on your waterfront property and give an estimate of when you can start expecting regular flooding from sea level rise so that you know when you have to sell your property by. But the real kicker is that since many of their customers are climate change deniers the company gave specific instructions that none of the advertising could have any references to global warming or climate change.

Selling your house immediately before you know that it's going to be underwater seems illegal somehow. Like selling your place because you know the roof is on the verge of caving in

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

Selling your house immediately before you know that it's going to be underwater seems illegal somehow. Like selling your place because you know the roof is on the verge of caving in

Real estate tends to default to "as is" sales, and you need to specifically negotiate whatever representations you want the other side to make and the buyer usually will have their own inspector. This is because there's almost always something that is arguably defective, and anything else will lead to it being hard for a sale to really be final.

You might have a fraud case for actively concealing defects but generally not for simply not disclosing them if nobody asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

Real estate tends to default to "as is" sales, and you need to specifically negotiate whatever representations you want the other side to make and the buyer usually will have their own inspector.

You might have a fraud case for actively concealing defects but probably not for simply not disclosing them if nobody asked.

You need to disclose if your house has a ghost or is known to be haunted by ghosts.

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/publishing/rpte_ereport/2016%20eReport/5-September%202016/Haunted%20House.pdf

(it's actually slightly less dumb than it sounds)