Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Just wanted to make sure, the memory in the XPS 13 isn't upgradeable, correct? If I plan on having one for a few years it's probably worth just buying one with 16gb already huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yup, XPS 13 memory is actually hosed onto the motherboard.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Sounds like a wild assembly line.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I pulled the trigger on https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-G5-...K-PCA/878478944 now i need to avoid looking at any cyber monday deals so i dont beat myself up over finding a better deal.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You may still want to find a deal for an SSD so you can chuck the spinner outta there.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Seamonster posted:

You may still want to find a deal for an SSD so you can chuck the spinner outta there.

I never understood the upgrade path when you have both an SSD and a platter drive. Do you get a 500GB SSD and replace the puny 128GB SSD? Are there cheap SSDs to replace the platter drive? The 128GB SSD in therekinda scares me, tbh.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

anothergod posted:

I never understood the upgrade path when you have both an SSD and a platter drive. Do you get a 500GB SSD and replace the puny 128GB SSD? Are there cheap SSDs to replace the platter drive? The 128GB SSD in therekinda scares me, tbh.

The 128 GB is fine, but just as a bare minimum for Windows. You're probably not going to spring for a ~$100 1 TB SSD to replace the HDD, but if you did, you could then keep the latter around as a backup for the SSD.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Shnicker posted:

Just wanted to make sure, the memory in the XPS 13 isn't upgradeable, correct? If I plan on having one for a few years it's probably worth just buying one with 16gb already huh

And if you want 16gb, you’re locked into the i7 and 4K upgrades. A big reason I didn’t go for one. But right now I’m wishing I did, assuming Dell didn’t forget how to make sleeping work unlike Lenovo.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Milkman posted:

And if you want 16gb, you’re locked into the i7 and 4K upgrades. A big reason I didn’t go for one. But right now I’m wishing I did, assuming Dell didn’t forget how to make sleeping work unlike Lenovo.
That's funny, I have a 9370 with a 1080 screen and 16gb ram.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 26, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

CopperHound posted:

That's funny, I have a 9370 with a 1080 screen and 16gb ram.

Are you in Not America

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

For those of you who were waiting for Cyber Monday deals to hopefully grab an X1 Carbon, it's the same prices as Friday. I went ahead and ordered mine from the B&N link, because the prices there are lower than average right now even though they're not advertising a sale. If you're okay with the 256gb SSD, you can get 16gb of RAM and the i7 for $1065. That's a pretty drat good deal.

Also the XPS 15 is on sale for $1350 right now

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

2 TB crucial MX500 2.5 inch SSD for $200 today @ amazon

that solved some storage and speed problems for me

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

For those of you who were waiting for Cyber Monday deals to hopefully grab an X1 Carbon, it's the same prices as Friday. I went ahead and ordered mine from the B&N link, because the prices there are lower than average right now even though they're not advertising a sale. If you're okay with the 256gb SSD, you can get 16gb of RAM and the i7 for $1065. That's a pretty drat good deal.

Also the XPS 15 is on sale for $1350 right now

I just ended up getting a t480 at mostly low spec since I can replace most everything in it for much cheaper than they charge.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

Are you in Not America
I'm in the US. I just added that config to my cart for illustrative purpose. My laptop was purchased from Dell outlet with i7, 1080p, 16gb, 256gb.

E: are you guys not seeing that you can customize the i5 configuration?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 26, 2018

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

CopperHound posted:

I'm in the US. I just added that config to my cart for illustrative purpose. My laptop was purchased from Dell outlet with i7, 1080p, 16gb, 256gb.

Huh, I wonder when they added those. Those customization options definitely did not exist when the new models were launched.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Blade Runner posted:

I just ended up getting a t480 at mostly low spec since I can replace most everything in it for much cheaper than they charge.

I considered this but mobility is a major concern for me, so I wanted the lowest weight and longest battery life I could get. Kind of a bummer because I love the T series and the option to add an MX150 is super tempting. But the Carbon is just crazy light and small comparatively, and also the only one with a decent basic display. The T480 and T480s had to be upgraded to 1440p to get decent color and brightness.

Unless you can replace the T480 screen with a third party one?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

I considered this but mobility is a major concern for me, so I wanted the lowest weight and longest battery life I could get. Kind of a bummer because I love the T series and the option to add an MX150 is super tempting. But the Carbon is just crazy light and small comparatively, and also the only one with a decent basic display. The T480 and T480s had to be upgraded to 1440p to get decent color and brightness.

Unless you can replace the T480 screen with a third party one?

You potentially can, I think, but it's more than likely annoying to find the screens and I honestly don't want to bother with the inevitable QC issues that'd stem from that.

That said, you're absolutely right that the Carbon is much thinner and lighter, but it's also more expensive and less upgradable. The RAM is soldered on, so any upgrade there is impossible. For battery life, the hot swappable 72 kwh battery did it for me, and I just got the WQHD, which is pretty much good enough for any laptop. Honestly, the Carbon is a really excellent machine at any price point, but I just couldn't justify paying over 500 more bucks just to get it a pound lighter. The Carbon is 100% much better at a baseline than the t480, though. The default screen on the 480 is trash. I think you made a pretty good decision, especially if lightness is your main priority.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What are good options for a cheap used laptop? I don't need good battery life or portability I just want something with a decent CPU that I can throw an SSD in and have a passable experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MaxxBot posted:

What are good options for a cheap used laptop? I don't need good battery life or portability I just want something with a decent CPU that I can throw an SSD in and have a passable experience.

Define cheap

Anything from Dell or Lenovo’s business line are decent as long as you avoid dogshit screens

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Idk much about the Dell business lines so maybe someone else can chime in there, but you sound like the ideal candidate for a T-series Thinkpad to me.

I have a T460 (that I'll be selling, if you're still in the market in a few weeks) and I absolutely love it. It has all the ports you could ever want, is bulletproof, hinges all the way to 180 degrees for use in weird positions, and it has a wonderful keyboard. It's two years old and boring and has still made me a Thinkpad fanboy for life. I'm only replacing it to get something slightly lighter and longer-running, which are the two things you don't care about. It has a mediocre screen, but that will be true of almost anything cheap. You can dodge this by opting for one of their 1440p screen options (HDR will be glossy, regular 1440p is matte), as they're almost always great.

I think your best bet is the same deal Blade Runner posted about above: the T480 (current model) via the Barnes&Noble discount link in the OP. They've got it starting at $590 right now, which is less than my refurb T460 cost. :psyduck:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 26, 2018

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

A couple things I'll say on that deal if you decide to get it: get the WQHD and the MX150(even if you don't think you need a dGPU, it comes with two heatpipes and is vastly better for cooling), go minimum specs on everything else. The SSD and the RAM can be changed out easily, and you'll get them much cheaper elsewhere.

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 26, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Blade Runner posted:

A couple things I'll say on that deal if you decide to get it: get the WQHD and the MX150(even if you don't think you need a dGPU, it comes with two heatpipes and is vastly better for cooling), go minimum specs on everything else. The SSD and the RAM can be changed out easily, and you'll get them much cheaper elsewhere.

Re: the drive specs, it seems like it has options for HDD, SATA 3 SSD, and M.2 SSD drives. Are you sure the SATA builds don't come with a reduced battery to make space? I just pulled up a teardown video of one with a 2.5" drive, and I'm definitely no expert but the internal battery looks small and I'm not seeing any obvious M.2 slot. It might not be the same board?

Edit: they said they don't care about battery life, so maybe this is a moot point and they'll actually prefer the cheap version with a more flexible drive slot. :shrug:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 26, 2018

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

Re: the drive specs, it seems like it has options for HDD, SATA 3 SSD, and M.2 SSD drives. Are you sure the SATA builds don't come with a reduced battery to make space? I just pulled up a teardown video of one with a 2.5" drive, and I'm definitely no expert but the internal battery looks small and I'm not seeing any obvious M.2 slot. It might not be the same board?

Edit: they said they don't care about battery life, so maybe this is a moot point and they'll actually prefer the cheap version with a more flexible drive slot. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure the 2280s they give you come with an adapter and get slapped into a bracket. Lemme look.
For the battery, it is kinda small, only 24(?) kwh or so. The main draw is the hot swappable battery on the back which goes up to 72.

e: Yeah, here. Seems like it's all 2.5, but it comes with an adapter for 2280.

Blade Runner fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CopperHound posted:

Thats cool. I bought the 9360 with the QHD+ because it was the only way to get the 16gb ram in USA. It ended up being a good idea because I love the screen but, still. And to echo the other guy itt, when the '70 came out that option wasn't there iirc.

Good to see they're there now tho!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Blade Runner posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2280s they give you come with an adapter and get slapped into a bracket. Lemme look.
For the battery, it is kinda small, only 24(?) kwh or so. The main draw is the hot swappable battery on the back which goes up to 72.

e: Yeah, here. Seems like it's all 2.5, but it comes with an adapter for 2280.

Huh, neat!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm glad I remembered it was Monday in America :patriot: before it was too late. The Barnes and Noble deal apparently can be paired with the Cyber Monday deal to get a little bit more off and seems to have been the cheapest option so far, so I bought it. Ended up buying the more expensive configuration because I have no self-control though. 💸 Looking forward to having something I can actually reasonably carry around. :toot:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a significant difference in the SATA and M.2 form factor for SSDs? When I buy a new laptop down the line I'm thinking of upgrading the drives to SSD (or add an M.2 one if it doesn't have one yet), which seems a lot cheaper than springing for a model that has an SSD out of the box (which is usually just a measly 128 GB)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a significant difference in the SATA and M.2 form factor for SSDs? When I buy a new laptop down the line I'm thinking of upgrading the drives to SSD (or add an M.2 one if it doesn't have one yet), which seems a lot cheaper than springing for a model that has an SSD out of the box (which is usually just a measly 128 GB)

SATA is a protocol and M.2 is a form factor. You can get SATA drives either in the standard 2.5" or M.2 form factors, but you can only get the faster NVMe protocol in the M.2 form. Some M.2 slots can take either SATA or NVMe but not all of them do so you have to check the device specifications to be sure. There are adapters to put a M.2 SATA SSD in a 2.5" slot. As a general rule of thumb the SATA protocol is plenty fast and you won't notice a difference moving up to NVMe.

TL;DR: don't worry about it, there is nothing stopping you from upgrading your SSD later unless your laptop is literally glued shut.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Are you in Not America

I have the same loadout, bought it on Amazon because ~reasons~, in the US

I still loathe the hosed up sleep/hibernate settings though. Had it for 4 months and it looks like in a recent bios update they pulled the "real" hibernate in favor of some lovely "data aware" hibernate. Still to this day have not gotten it to sleep overnight without fully draining the battery. My 12 year old X230 with worn out battery will happily sleep for 2-3 days though

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm really, really torn on which laptop to get.

Lenovo Y7000
15.6" Anti-glare IPS LED Backlit FHD (1920 x 1080) Display (only 60hz)
6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz
16GB DDR4 (2-DIMM) 2666MHz RAM
1.0TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB PCle Solid State Drive
https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-LEGION-Y7000-Gaming-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---GeForce-GTX-1060---1080p.product.100454283.html
$999.99

Or
Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop
15.6" FHD IPS w/ 144Hz Refresh Rate, Intel 6-Core i7-8750H, Overclockable GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD, Aeroblade Metal Fans PH315-51-78NP
$999.99

The Lenovo has better storage, but its monitor is only 60hz. I'm looking to play older games and also new games on the laptop, and if I'm paying this much money, I dont want to regret it because the screen sucks and I should've just sprang for another $200. The Costco warranty is a huge plus - 2 years, plus it offers accidental coverage for only 99.99 more, so that's yet another angle to fret about. But will I regret getting only a 60hz monitor?

On the other hand, I hear that the Predator has an issue with overheating, and I'd have to buy a 1TB 2.5" HDD, and have to figure out how to put Windows on that myself. I've been out of the PC game for about 10 years, using Macs instead.

B&H Electronics has the Y7000 that has a 144hz display and a 512gb SSD for only $1199.99, but I've never dealt with B&H and there aren't any local to me, and the warranty and return policy isn't as good as Costco's.

What should I do? I'm looking to play older games like Fallout New Vegas, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 1 and 2, and other older games, but I'm also looking to play new titles that come out on decent to high settings.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 27, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Lenovo Yoga C930 is a pretty good device.

Picked one up on sale for Black Friday at Best Buy. I'm so glad they got rid of the incredibly dumb watchband hinge with it's 100's of parts, which if any one of them fail the entire hinge fails, and replaced it with a soundbar in the hinge.

It's got enough area to actually be able to move enough air to get some pretty good sound, and is always pointed directly at you when in laptop mode, as opposed to up at the ceiling.

I'm liking the built in stylus, though i wish it stored in the side rather than the back, since there's some positions the laptop can be in where the screen will block access to it, making you adjust the screen to get at it.

I also wish there was a physical volume rocker on the laptop for adjusting the volume when outside of laptop mode.

Other than that, some folks have complained about the keyboard but I have, personally, no complaints about it. Screen could be brighter though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hadlock posted:

I have the same loadout, bought it on Amazon because ~reasons~, in the US

I still loathe the hosed up sleep/hibernate settings though. Had it for 4 months and it looks like in a recent bios update they pulled the "real" hibernate in favor of some lovely "data aware" hibernate. Still to this day have not gotten it to sleep overnight without fully draining the battery. My 12 year old X230 with worn out battery will happily sleep for 2-3 days though

I fixed this issue in mine and posted about it itt, with screen shots I think iirc

On my phone so I'm not gonna dig for it but if I remember I will later

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I got my Lenovo 530S (i7 8550 + MX150) last night, and first impressions are great. It feels much more solid than I expected, and the glossy screen hasn't annoyed me too much yet with its seemingly accurate colors and crisp 1440p resolution. Not bad for under $700.

I'll definitely need to add some more storage space to it at some point. It has a second m2 slot, but it's only 42mm. Anyone have a recommendation for that form factor? I can only find one 2242 NVMe drive, made by Toshiba, and not bigger than 256GB. They're expensive too, from what I can find.

The primary m2 slot is 80mm and currently has a 256GB NVMe drive in it, which will become useless to me if I put a 1TB drive I there like I want to. But let's say I put something into the 42mm slot first...How easy would it be to clone the original SSD to that (Windows install and all)? I haven't done anything like that in about a decade (and never on an SSD), so I don't know what's changed. I mostly just want to avoid initial set up again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bored As gently caress posted:

What should I do? I'm looking to play older games like Fallout New Vegas, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 1 and 2, and other older games, but I'm also looking to play new titles that come out on decent to high settings.

Adding / replacing HDDs is generally very, very easy, and in the case of the Helios, is literally just popping open a panel on the bottom and screwing the drive in. Likewise, cloneing over Windows to a new drive is pretty trivial using Macrium Reflect, Samsung Magician, or a variety of other free tools. Also a 1TB HDD is like $50 or less. So I wouldn't really take that bit as a point of actual comparison for you.

B&H is a totally legit company with a pretty good track record for customer service and such.

The screen, on the other hand, is a different story. 144Hz vs 60Hz is nice no matter what you're doing. I couldn't find anywhere that really dug much into the screen qualities, but both quote similar raw specs (~250-300nits, 72% NTSC, IPS).

I haven't seen too many reviews of the Y7000, but the Helios has been a fairly common recommendation of late, with no one really coming back after to say they didn't like it. The Helios is about 1/2 a pound heavier than the Y7000, but both are over 5lbs without the mandatory power brick (since battery life is trash either way), so they're not exactly lightweights.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

The Lenovo has better storage, but its monitor is only 60hz. I'm looking to play older games and also new games on the laptop, and if I'm paying this much money, I dont want to regret it because the screen sucks and I should've just sprang for another $200. The Costco warranty is a huge plus - 2 years, plus it offers accidental coverage for only 99.99 more, so that's yet another angle to fret about. But will I regret getting only a 60hz monitor?

On the other hand, I hear that the Predator has an issue with overheating, and I'd have to buy a 1TB 2.5" HDD, and have to figure out how to put Windows on that myself. I've been out of the PC game for about 10 years, using Macs instead.

B&H Electronics has the Y7000 that has a 144hz display and a 512gb SSD for only $1199.99, but I've never dealt with B&H and there aren't any local to me, and the warranty and return policy isn't as good as Costco's.

This is really easy: get the Helios because that display is the clear advantage over the Lenovo and you're not going to upgrade a display yourself if you're concerned about installing an HDD! And yeah, the HDD is a cheap and easy upgrade, its cost is negligible. Not sure why you're talking about "figuring out how to put Windows on" a HDD added to the Acer; the OS is on the SSD and that's where it should stay. You're really not thinking these things through, dude.

That B&H Y7000 is better, but not worth the extra $200 (a 512 GB NVMe SSD is $100 or less at the moment.)

Stevie Lee posted:

I got my Lenovo 530S (i7 8550 + MX150) last night, and first impressions are great. It feels much more solid than I expected, and the glossy screen hasn't annoyed me too much yet with its seemingly accurate colors and crisp 1440p resolution. Not bad for under $700.

I'll definitely need to add some more storage space to it at some point. It has a second m2 slot, but it's only 42mm. Anyone have a recommendation for that form factor? I can only find one 2242 NVMe drive, made by Toshiba, and not bigger than 256GB. They're expensive too, from what I can find.

The primary m2 slot is 80mm and currently has a 256GB NVMe drive in it, which will become useless to me if I put a 1TB drive I there like I want to. But let's say I put something into the 42mm slot first...How easy would it be to clone the original SSD to that (Windows install and all)? I haven't done anything like that in about a decade (and never on an SSD), so I don't know what's changed. I mostly just want to avoid initial set up again.

The Toshiba RC100, (which isn't even a great drive,) was originally available in a 480 GB capacity but most traces of it have been scoured for some reason. If the 42 mm slot is also SATA you could perhaps expand your options that way, but even still 256 GB drives are expensive and rare above that capacity. Your best option would be to put the OS on this and then add whatever you want for capacity in the 2280 slot.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Thanks to both of you guys! Always appreciate the help and expertise.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I want a Yoga, but I'm having trouble figuring out the difference in price between the models. For instance, the 730 is significantly cheaper than the 920, but I'm not seeing much difference between the two. The 920 has the weird hinge, maybe? At least the 720 I'm looking at is more expensive obviously because of the higher specs.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Now I simply wait the ten years it takes the Thinkpad to ship (I forgot how awful shipping was on these things, god drat)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I need a new laptop mainly for testing multiplayer for a game I'm developing because I can't do it on one machine. My game has pretty minimal requirements and until now I've been using a macbook pro from like 2008-2009 with bootcamp to boot into windows (I think it is this one. That MBP gives me just barely tolerable performance in the game itself, but it takes loving ages to boot, compile code or do just about anything. The MBP I'm using now has a discrete video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M) but after googling some benchmarks it would seem that literally anything modern, even just using an intel cpu's integrated graphics would give me astronomically better performance. I also need to be able to install linux on the laptop for testing, so I want to avoid anything AMD since my understanding is that they have lovely linux drivers. I've got a desktop for demanding games, but it would be nice to have a laptop that could run relatively recent stuff on low-ish settings.

Given all of that, Is this an alright laptop for the price? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16834154825&ignorebbr=1 Its $599 after the cyber whatever discount + a $100 rebate card. The 1050 seems like it might be overkill for my needs and the 128gb ssd is uncomfortably small but I suppose I could replace it. Is there a better option for less than $650ish? Cheaper would be better, as I really don't need a powerhouse, but I also don't want to buy a piece of poo poo.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Is there a thread that lists recommend programs for new laptops and computers?