Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Not trying to start a flame war, but can color saturation be quantified? Overexposure and underexposure can be seen in the histogram. But how do you see oversaturation?

Maybe look at the RGB histogram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Maybe look at the RGB histogram?

Done. Now what? Again, I am not trying to be a dick, I am just trying to avoid this in my own images.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a perceptual thing, I doubt you gonna get a hard and fast rule.

When the colors all start to look like a cartoon, you know you've gone to far. A good rule in lightroom is if you take a slider above +10 you better have a good loving reason because beyond that is when poo poo starts getting out of hand.

I can't see a saturation problem in the image that started this conversation, I think at the lower end of adjustments it's pretty subjective.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Done. Now what? Again, I am not trying to be a dick, I am just trying to avoid this in my own images.

Well the RGB histogram gives you the absolute values so you know if you're oversaturated, just like when you blow the highlights. So if red goes beyond 255, it's oversaturated. If you're asking about whether it looks oversaturated, then that's entirely subjective and I don't think you're gonna get a definitive answer for that.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Well the RGB histogram gives you the absolute values so you know if you're oversaturated, just like when you blow the highlights. So if red goes beyond 255, it's oversaturated. If you're asking about whether it looks oversaturated, then that's entirely subjective and I don't think you're gonna get a definitive answer for that.

Isn't that the luminance though rather than the saturation value? How is the histogram displaying saturation info?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The RGB histogram demonstrates saturation.. the peaks will get pushed further to the edges as you crank the saturation slider up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bought a roll of Portra 400 ages ago, finally got around to using it. One of these I've posted a digital version of already but I like the film one better so it's (kind of) repost time, baby

Routeburn Track

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Routeburn Track - Lake Mackenzie

Routeburn Track

Wellington

Wellington

Wellington

Wellington

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

theHUNGERian posted:

Not trying to start a flame war, but can color saturation be quantified? Overexposure and underexposure can be seen in the histogram. But how do you see oversaturation?

Yes. Every color can be expressed as a combination of hue, luminance, and saturation. "Oversaturation" is a relative and subjective concept.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
PB231204_01 by Cody P, on Flickr

Nice

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

About two minutes too late to capture a ridiculous moon dog, so all I got is

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just did another Utah trip, had fun playing with the hi res mode on my camera. (Olympus EM1 Mk2.)

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

The Rat posted:

Just did another Utah trip, had fun playing with the hi res mode on my camera. (Olympus EM1 Mk2.)

I'd really like this if you hadn't gone for the ultra-wide angle gimmick of including all of that pool. Cropped just below the reflection of the tree would make this much stronger image.

I quite like the second shot, though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hmm, something like this?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's a much better crop imo, but I'm also of the same mindset that really bored of UWA landscapes in general

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it has to be a really exceptional scene+light to work these days because there are folks pulling it off. There's so much "plop tripod on shore, use random boulder for foreground, boom done" crap out there (guilty) that it takes a lot to rise out of the noise.

I didn't mind the original in this case so I'm not trying to poo poo on it, though it's pretty obvious the crop is a much better picture.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Vacation snaps, compression really hosed up a bunch of these so I should probably reupload a few but that's a lot of work :effort:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Atlatl posted:

Vacation snaps, compression really hosed up a bunch of these so I should probably reupload a few but that's a lot of work :effort:

What's the story behind these? Like them quite a bit.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Thanks, they're all on Japanese WW2 auxiliaries that got sunk during Operation Hailstorm in Chuuk. Nobody came back to build it up as a naval base and the locals didn't have any use for the stuff on them so none of the wrecks were looted.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
I started taking photos a few months ago, and I think this is one of my favorite shots I've taken so far. Really enjoy living at a place where the golden hour lasts for ages in the summer.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

hope and vaseline posted:

That's a much better crop imo, but I'm also of the same mindset that really bored of UWA landscapes in general

What is UWA? Google just gives me hits for the University of Western Australia

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Wafflecopper posted:

What is UWA? Google just gives me hits for the University of Western Australia

Ultra wide angle. those are all awesome atlatl, the fish one in the other thread too

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Took some photos in the neighbourhood the other day - the sun sets around half 3 this time of year, so you get some nice skies (when it's not raining)

I'm trying to move from just taking snapshots of random stuff to thinking a bit more about composition, it's interesting to read up on this kind of stuff :)

pim01 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 3, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Really digging this one mate. Jealous as all hell of your neighborhood's scenery.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Thanks :). Apart from the weather, living in Scotland has its good bits!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

theHUNGERian posted:

Easiest way to check is to make sure the 'color' you are looking at isn't just all one maxed out color eg. completely red with no details or gradients nearby.

Also note that the RGB histogram might not be perfect either. Sometimes when the bump in the RGB histogram is hitting the edge, you might still have some leeway if the RGB histogram isn't based from the raw file. IIRC some camera pulled their RGB histogram from the JPG file instead.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 3, 2018

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Encrypted posted:

Also note that the RGB histogram might not be perfect either. Sometimes when the bump in the RGB histogram is hitting the edge, you might still have some leeway if the RGB histogram isn't based from the raw file. IIRC some camera pulled their RGB histogram from the JPG file instead.

I think they all pull it from the JPG in camera.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

RangerScum posted:

Man, you're crushing it.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I really like these two! The red doors + red light on the ship one make it interesting, I guess the looming quality helps :)

Where is the church + cooling towers? Its a neat juxtaposition!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qirex fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 7, 2018

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Rot posted:

Man, you're crushing it.

thanks Rot.

pim01 posted:

Where is the church + cooling towers? Its a neat juxtaposition!

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8016056,5.2725018,880m/data=!3m1!1e3

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It took longer than I want to admit to realize that google maps wasn't still loading.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ooh nice, that bit of France is very lovely

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Welcome to hell, my friend. Watch out for the Camden County PD if you're over there - they're a bit zealous with their "community policing" and will pick up a photographer mad quick. Catch ya out here someday.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 12, 2019

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

muy bueno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004